Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge
The Lounge We're all friends here. Hang out, kick your feet up and talk about whatever the heck you want!

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default "It just Works!"

I know that there are a million apple rants, apple consumer rants and other things of every flavor on the internet. However, I would like to take a moment to write my own, if for no other reason than to get this out my system for a few minutes.

Before I begin let me say something. If your profession calls for the use of mac, this isn't about you.

I hate apple. I really do hate apple with a passion. The problem starts off very simple and gets more complex so please stay with me. See it all starts off when steve jobs advertises his products. He uses simple slogans like "it just works" or "its magical". This is fairly innocent enough to begin with however, it quickly develops many problems. See, steve jobs wants to tout the "advantages" of his products, what they can do and showcase the absolute best his products can offer which I can not hold against him.

However, I would call him a liar in a heartbeat. He wants to compare his products to mercedes benz or bmw. The problem with this, is that his customers believe him. People actually believe that apple is the most functional and highest quality product you can buy. Especially with iphone/ipod. Sure some people buy into it with the macbooks.. but, I don't have to deal with people touting macbook being the best in person. And Anyone who has one is not a computer science major normally so they at least admit they have no idea what they are talking about or just think "its cool so I got it". I can live with this when customers admit they only bought it because its cool.

However, I'm so sick and tired of the endless people I meet on a daily basis who believe iphone is the be all/end all to phones. I am tired of people who believe that ipod is the highest quality music player. And most of all I am tired of people who don't know **** about what the **** they want.

I work at a store which sells 3 different carries of phone service and a variety of other products (not best buy lol). And I had a customer come in and want to buy an ipod touch. She proceeded to ask me if it was "second gen" I looked at her and told her I had no idea. I asked her what the difference was. She replied she had no idea. I asked her why did it matter then. She replied "I am getting it for my son and I want him to have the best". This angered me on many levels. I can forgive someone wanting the newest/latest equipment however, when you get mad at me for not knowing.. You better ****ed well be able to tell me what the difference is, and it better be valid!

I will never own another ipod and I have no desire to. I stopped at a 30 gig ipod classic many years ago. my first/only ipod, I loved it but, it scratched way to easy. first day I got it, it got scratched in the little case they gave me to put it in, so I have no reason whatsoever to keep up with ipod generations or anything of that nature.

My problem is people hear "its magical" and suddenly want it because its the "best". And they have *no* idea what they are even buying. Does it matter? no! I just want the latest/greatest version of it! I had another customer who wanted a cover for his iphone. He asked if we have any that have the hole in the back so that he could see the apple. I told him no, and demanded to know why not. He literally got angry with me personally because I did not know why my store does not carry apple cases so you can see the apple on his iphone. Yet again, it is people buying into the "mercedes benz" belief and not even buying the phone for what it can be used for.. but, simply for the sake of having something flashy to show off. I find this disgusting. Literally getting angry at sales associates because somewhere wayyyyy above store level they never said "hey lets cater to people only buying iphone to show off to other people!" (then again.. that is pretty stupid.. why else do people buy apple?).

And perhaps what is the biggest problem I have with apple is this mentality seeps into even college level minds. I know a computer science major who is programming for iphone. It bugs me the lengths these people are willing to go through to program for it. He literally creates multiple "stacks" so that he could program for the iphone. It bugs me people are willing to bend over backwards to program for iphone. Now sure android wasn't out a year ago like it is now. However, they even tried to get a group together to program for iphone. I personally find this disgusting because, now we do have viable alternatives to iphone, we have much better phones to program for in the first place.

I can't judge anyone for how they spend their money or what they buy. I waste money like anyone else.

However, I can very easily judge people for how they act with their purchases and their low product knowledge of what they are buying.

I think I could handle it if I didn't hear so many "iphone is great" comments. however, I'm tired of people thinking that piece of crap is all that exist.

Ipad is probably going to be just a sore of a topic for me because, they have had internet tablets for a looonnnggg time now and I'm sure many people are going to think ipad was the first/greatest ever without ever even hearing of any others. I can not stand how steve jobs is that arrogant and controlling of his products, and it breeds a large consumer base of people who walk around bragging about how their product is best without even knowing how it is different from any other phone out there.

Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow_Fox For This Useful Post:
IOWA (April 8th, 2010), mrjam3s (April 13th, 2010)
sponsored links
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AndroidSPCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,216
 
Device(s): Note 2, SG S2 & S3, Evo 3D & 4G, Epic 4G, Captivate. (Moment, LG Optimus S, Vibrant)
Carrier: verizon / sprint / at&t

Thanks: 488
Thanked 479 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Cliffs notes version?
__________________
Big thanks to lunatic59 for my awesome Android avatars!!
cool Android phone sizing comparison page
Vital Android guide for permissions!
AndroidSPCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidSPCS View Post
Cliffs notes version?
Steve jobs tells customers his products are "magic" and of mercedes benz/bmw quality.

People believe him.

People don't know what they are buying but, have very deep passionate feelings towards products they know nothing about thinking said products are "the greatest ever". They refuse to believe anyone that anything better might exist at a lower price!

I find the irony of that completely disgusting.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 112
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
Steve jobs tells customers his products are "magic" and of mercedes benz/bmw quality.

People believe him.

People don't know what they are buying but, have very deep passionate feelings towards products they know nothing about thinking said products are "the greatest ever". They refuse to believe anyone that anything better might exist at a lower price!

I find the irony of that completely disgusting.
Pretty graphics + good marketing = sales. Plain and simple
Scythe is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scythe For This Useful Post:
mrjam3s (April 13th, 2010)
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
momoceio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,235
 
Device(s): EVO 3d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 106
Thanked 151 Times in 95 Posts
Default

It's easy to sell blind people turds...Steve Jobs has mastered it.
__________________
"Come to the dark side, we have androids"

My Online Business Card
My Blog
My Twitter
momoceio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

I just took a poop and its absolutely magical. It has multitouch too. No multitasking though, so it can't stink properly and be thrown at the same time.
__________________
Useful links: The Rules | The Team | FAQ | Unanswered Threads |
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
The_Verse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 131
 
Device(s): HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoceio View Post
It's easy to sell blind people turds...Steve Jobs has mastered it.
Excellent summary!
__________________
Dropbox Referral.Joining via this link will grant us both 250mb extra storage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoceio View Post
It's easy to sell blind people turds...Steve Jobs has mastered it.
The_Verse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 195
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

wow. man if you dont use apple and you dont like apple, thats great. good for you. i am not gonna say that you are wrong, or i am right, or my neighbor is a computer genius, but come down off your enlightened high horse. your bashing apple because they paid attention in marketing 101? come on man.

what about lexus? it just a rebadged toyota, but how many of those stupid rx330's do you see "soccer moms" driving? how is that any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
I just took a poop and its absolutely magical. It has multitouch too. No multitasking though, so it can't stink properly and be thrown at the same time.

actually....they have multitasking now...
vandyblackandgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vandyblackandgold For This Useful Post:
Snow_Fox (April 9th, 2010), The_Gnome_ (April 8th, 2010)
Old April 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AndroidSPCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,216
 
Device(s): Note 2, SG S2 & S3, Evo 3D & 4G, Epic 4G, Captivate. (Moment, LG Optimus S, Vibrant)
Carrier: verizon / sprint / at&t

Thanks: 488
Thanked 479 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Thanks for the cliffs notes version. I agree.
AndroidSPCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 981
 
Device(s): HTC Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Posting from my iPad right now. It told me to tell you to kiss it's ass
mbell75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
The_Gnome_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sarnia, ON, Canada
Posts: 418
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyblackandgold View Post
wow. Man if you dont use apple and you dont like apple, thats great. Good for you. I am not gonna say that you are wrong, or i am right, or my neighbor is a computer genius, but come down off your enlightened high horse. Your bashing apple because they paid attention in marketing 101? Come on man..

qft
The_Gnome_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 314
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
I know that there are a million apple rants, apple consumer rants and other things of every flavor on the internet. However, I would like to take a moment to write my own, if for no other reason than to get this out my system for a few minutes.

Before I begin let me say something. If your profession calls for the use of mac, this isn't about you.

I hate apple. I really do hate apple with a passion. The problem starts off very simple and gets more complex so please stay with me. See it all starts off when steve jobs advertises his products. He uses simple slogans like "it just works" or "its magical". This is fairly innocent enough to begin with however, it quickly develops many problems. See, steve jobs wants to tout the "advantages" of his products, what they can do and showcase the absolute best his products can offer which I can not hold against him.

However, I would call him a liar in a heartbeat. He wants to compare his products to mercedes benz or bmw. The problem with this, is that his customers believe him. People actually believe that apple is the most functional and highest quality product you can buy. Especially with iphone/ipod. Sure some people buy into it with the macbooks.. but, I don't have to deal with people touting macbook being the best in person. And Anyone who has one is not a computer science major normally so they at least admit they have no idea what they are talking about or just think "its cool so I got it". I can live with this when customers admit they only bought it because its cool.

However, I'm so sick and tired of the endless people I meet on a daily basis who believe iphone is the be all/end all to phones. I am tired of people who believe that ipod is the highest quality music player. And most of all I am tired of people who don't know **** about what the **** they want.

I work at a store which sells 3 different carries of phone service and a variety of other products (not best buy lol). And I had a customer come in and want to buy an ipod touch. She proceeded to ask me if it was "second gen" I looked at her and told her I had no idea. I asked her what the difference was. She replied she had no idea. I asked her why did it matter then. She replied "I am getting it for my son and I want him to have the best". This angered me on many levels. I can forgive someone wanting the newest/latest equipment however, when you get mad at me for not knowing.. You better ****ed well be able to tell me what the difference is, and it better be valid!

I will never own another ipod and I have no desire to. I stopped at a 30 gig ipod classic many years ago. my first/only ipod, I loved it but, it scratched way to easy. first day I got it, it got scratched in the little case they gave me to put it in, so I have no reason whatsoever to keep up with ipod generations or anything of that nature.

My problem is people hear "its magical" and suddenly want it because its the "best". And they have *no* idea what they are even buying. Does it matter? no! I just want the latest/greatest version of it! I had another customer who wanted a cover for his iphone. He asked if we have any that have the hole in the back so that he could see the apple. I told him no, and demanded to know why not. He literally got angry with me personally because I did not know why my store does not carry apple cases so you can see the apple on his iphone. Yet again, it is people buying into the "mercedes benz" belief and not even buying the phone for what it can be used for.. but, simply for the sake of having something flashy to show off. I find this disgusting. Literally getting angry at sales associates because somewhere wayyyyy above store level they never said "hey lets cater to people only buying iphone to show off to other people!" (then again.. that is pretty stupid.. why else do people buy apple?).

And perhaps what is the biggest problem I have with apple is this mentality seeps into even college level minds. I know a computer science major who is programming for iphone. It bugs me the lengths these people are willing to go through to program for it. He literally creates multiple "stacks" so that he could program for the iphone. It bugs me people are willing to bend over backwards to program for iphone. Now sure android wasn't out a year ago like it is now. However, they even tried to get a group together to program for iphone. I personally find this disgusting because, now we do have viable alternatives to iphone, we have much better phones to program for in the first place.

I can't judge anyone for how they spend their money or what they buy. I waste money like anyone else.

However, I can very easily judge people for how they act with their purchases and their low product knowledge of what they are buying.

I think I could handle it if I didn't hear so many "iphone is great" comments. however, I'm tired of people thinking that piece of crap is all that exist.

Ipad is probably going to be just a sore of a topic for me because, they have had internet tablets for a looonnnggg time now and I'm sure many people are going to think ipad was the first/greatest ever without ever even hearing of any others. I can not stand how steve jobs is that arrogant and controlling of his products, and it breeds a large consumer base of people who walk around bragging about how their product is best without even knowing how it is different from any other phone out there.
When one works the public, like i do, especially in the tech field, like i do, you learn that most of the general public are clueless, and not to get uptight about it. look, Chevy thinks and sells like they are the best, as does ford, as does bmw, and so does nestles, and brachs, and mars, so does budweiser and michelobe, miller, Lg, sony, dell hp, etc etc...

Thing is everyone used to be for apple, they were the little guy out of their garage, against evil IBM, someday your kids will rebel against Android and Google because it is big, popular and evil. And their parents used it. Which for teens is reason enough. The public does not get any smarter even tho technology does, so if you plan on being in the public, better get used to it.
bbrosen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 242
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (black)
Carrier: TMobile

Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
And perhaps what is the biggest problem I have with apple is this mentality seeps into even college level minds. I know a computer science major who is programming for iphone. It bugs me the lengths these people are willing to go through to program for it. He literally creates multiple "stacks" so that he could program for the iphone. It bugs me people are willing to bend over backwards to program for iphone. Now sure android wasn't out a year ago like it is now. However, they even tried to get a group together to program for iphone. I personally find this disgusting because, now we do have viable alternatives to iphone, we have much better phones to program for in the first place.
Oh noz! Even educated people don't think the way I do!

What do you care if other people want to write programs for the smartphone with the biggest market share? If this is all it takes to bug you, you're in for a long ride on this earth.
big_z is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 195
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_z View Post
Oh noz! Even educated people don't think the way I do!

What do you care if other people want to write programs for the smartphone with the biggest market share? If this is all it takes to bug you, you're in for a long ride on this earth.
technically RIM (blackberry manufacturer) has the biggest market share. i know you said smartphone particularly but i dont know if they actually track that? not trying to burst your bubble, but fair warning, someone will pick up on this and fly off the handle
vandyblackandgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 242
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (black)
Carrier: TMobile

Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Actually I think it's Symbian, then BB, then Iphone, but...either way. Should have said "a smartphone with significant market share and a fairly easy app distribution system".
big_z is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Friendly Undead
 
OfTheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 9,696
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3,714
Thanked 8,839 Times in 3,067 Posts
Default

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. I have the utmost respect for Apple's marketing department. They really are a brilliant group. They took the smartphone out of the geek world and made Joe Average feel that they had to have one. They did the same for mp3 players and will probably do the same with tablet pcs. I a willing to bet that over half the people reading this forum would not be interested in a smartphone at all if it wasn't for Apple.

The truth is that people are rather stupid. They want what tv tells them to want. They want what their friends have. They buy what society tells them to buy. You can't really blame them for it. We all do it. Those that don't do it even a little are usualy just trying to be non-conformists.

I say, let them waste their money and laugh at them. It is a lot healthier than being all pissed off about it.
__________________
Site Rules and Guidelines - Learn them, live them and love them.

Does a post have your blood boiling? Make a instead of a retort.
OfTheDamned is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OfTheDamned For This Useful Post:
IOWA (April 9th, 2010), mrjam3s (April 13th, 2010), vandyblackandgold (April 9th, 2010)
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
derek533's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 97
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Holy chit! That's a lot of rage right there. You can't stop people from being stupid. The sooner you learn that, the happier you'll be.

If someone wants to blow a crapload of money on an inferior product, let them.
derek533 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Friendly Undead
 
OfTheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 9,696
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3,714
Thanked 8,839 Times in 3,067 Posts
Thumbs down

Now, something that does pissed me off....

The guy in front of me in line at the grocery store just put away his brand new iPhone to pay for his groceries with food stamps. People suck.
OfTheDamned is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OfTheDamned For This Useful Post:
momoceio (April 9th, 2010)
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ttaylor0024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas, United States
Posts: 659
 
Device(s): Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 219 Times in 67 Posts
Default Re: "It just Works!"

Apple had proven something... You can polish crap...
__________________
Hardcore Gamer
Check out my youtube and website.

Youtube Channel | Website
ttaylor0024 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyblackandgold View Post
wow. man if you dont use apple and you dont like apple, thats great. good for you. i am not gonna say that you are wrong, or i am right, or my neighbor is a computer genius, but come down off your enlightened high horse. your bashing apple because they paid attention in marketing 101? come on man.

what about lexus? it just a rebadged toyota, but how many of those stupid rx330's do you see "soccer moms" driving? how is that any different?




actually....they have multitasking now...
1.) Lexus is not a rebadged toyota. Until you drive a Lexus, don't say that. Seriously.

2.) 4.0 Still does not offer multitasking. Only the illusion of multitasking. Read the release notes, it clearly states it is using pause then resume state. That is NOT multitasking. Apple boldface lied to the public.

EDIT:

@OTD

I had a smartphone way before the criPhone.

Palm Handspring Treo woohoo!
IOWA is offline  
Last edited by IOWA; April 9th, 2010 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyblackandgold View Post
wow. man if you dont use apple and you dont like apple, thats great. good for you. i am not gonna say that you are wrong, or i am right, or my neighbor is a computer genius, but come down off your enlightened high horse. your bashing apple because they paid attention in marketing 101? come on man.

what about lexus? it just a rebadged toyota, but how many of those stupid rx330's do you see "soccer moms" driving? how is that any different?




actually....they have multitasking now...
It is not about being "enlightened" it is about arrogant customers who annoy the crap out of me.

It is about constantly dealing with people on a daily basis who will not stop forcing their opinion that ipod is the greatest on me.

However, I have to thank you for pointing out the lexus comment. There are some higher priced cars which do have benefits. A porsche for example is a pretty fast car opposed to a lexus which is just a rebranded econocar. Nothing against toyota, I drive one myself. However, I can honestly say I am not a fan of lexus.

I think that logic can be applied the the point I am trying to make.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Last edited by Snow_Fox; April 9th, 2010 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrosen View Post
When one works the public, like i do, especially in the tech field, like i do, you learn that most of the general public are clueless, and not to get uptight about it. look, Chevy thinks and sells like they are the best, as does ford, as does bmw, and so does nestles, and brachs, and mars, so does budweiser and michelobe, miller, Lg, sony, dell hp, etc etc...

Thing is everyone used to be for apple, they were the little guy out of their garage, against evil IBM, someday your kids will rebel against Android and Google because it is big, popular and evil. And their parents used it. Which for teens is reason enough. The public does not get any smarter even tho technology does, so if you plan on being in the public, better get used to it.
When I finally get out of college, I hope to work as far away from the public as possible. Till then, I will deal with it.

And while I love android I am by no means a big fan of google itself. Android is the most interesting thing to come out yet, that is why i'm interested in it.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_z View Post
Oh noz! Even educated people don't think the way I do!

What do you care if other people want to write programs for the smartphone with the biggest market share? If this is all it takes to bug you, you're in for a long ride on this earth.
The point is people, are bending over backwards to develop applications that they can not even market :/. Which means they are not making apps for the biggest market share, they are completely wasting time.

I don't care if they waste their time, it doesn't bother me personally and in the long run I don't give two craps about it.

However, when analyzing the situation in general, I have no problem saying I find something horribly wrong with that logic.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfTheDamned View Post
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. I have the utmost respect for Apple's marketing department. They really are a brilliant group. They took the smartphone out of the geek world and made Joe Average feel that they had to have one. They did the same for mp3 players and will probably do the same with tablet pcs. I a willing to bet that over half the people reading this forum would not be interested in a smartphone at all if it wasn't for Apple.

The truth is that people are rather stupid. They want what tv tells them to want. They want what their friends have. They buy what society tells them to buy. You can't really blame them for it. We all do it. Those that don't do it even a little are usualy just trying to be non-conformists.

I say, let them waste their money and laugh at them. It is a lot healthier than being all pissed off about it.
This I can not in any way disagree with. We are all influenced by many things. Apple definitely does a great job making people want things.

I actually don't watch much tv anymore (A.D.D. is a funny thing). My desire for a smartphone really kicked in when I started working at my current job selling them. Its hard to sell something without eventually selling yourself on it.

I've actually taken some marketing classes. Not a whole lot of them however, in many ways this rant is about the general public.

I am by *no* means trying to say that I'm perfect however, people being clueless and having no desire to change that is something that disturbs me.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
It is not about being "enlightened" it is about arrogant customers who annoy the crap out of me.

It is about constantly dealing with people on a daily basis who will not stop forcing their opinion that ipod is the greatest on me.

However, I have to thank you for pointing out the lexus comment. There are some higher priced cars which do have benefits. A porsche for example is a pretty fast car opposed to a lexus which is just a rebranded econocar. Nothing against toyota, I drive one myself. However, I can honestly say I am not a fan of lexus.

I think that logic can be applied the the point I am trying to make.
Like I said, until you drive one, don't knock it. Seriously. Lexus is a great car. Completely different than Toyota lineup.
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 195
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA View Post
1.) Lexus is not a rebadged toyota. Until you drive a Lexus, don't say that. Seriously.

2.) 4.0 Still does not offer multitasking. Only the illusion of multitasking. Read the release notes, it clearly states it is using pause then resume state. That is NOT multitasking. Apple boldface lied to the public.

EDIT:

@OTD

I had a smartphone way before the criPhone.

Palm Handspring Treo woohoo!

well then, i guess i am just the worlds biggest moron then. when they put pandora and skype in the background and pandora continued to stream over a data connection while other apps were being used, sure did seem like multitasking to me.

shame on them for pausing my game. thats just ludicrous! if they were really multitasking, that game would continue to play when i turned it off. apple is just a bunch of posers!
vandyblackandgold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Under paid Sasquatch!
 
SamuraiBigEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,098
 
Device(s): HTC One Max, waiting for root! Asus Transformer 16GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3,061
Thanked 1,988 Times in 1,047 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
However, I have to thank you for pointing out the lexus comment. There are some higher priced cars which do have benefits. A porsche for example is a pretty fast car opposed to a lexus which is just a rebranded econocar. Nothing against toyota, I drive one myself. However, I can honestly say I am not a fan of lexus.
I guess a Jaguar was just a rebranded Ford when they still owned Jag.

You are showing the exact same ignorance you complain about others having with this statement. The only Lexus/Toyota crossover models also happen to be the very highest level of Toyota such as the Land Cruiser, not the "econobox" models you refer to.

Lexus vehicles are some of the best engineered, appointed and equipped cars in the luxury market.
__________________
Have you seen me in a kilt?
Site Rules/Guidelines
Use the !Report button to report spam or objectionable posts.
If you find a post helpful please use the button!
SamuraiBigEd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 242
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (black)
Carrier: TMobile

Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Fox View Post
The point is people, are bending over backwards to develop applications that they can not even market :/. Which means they are not making apps for the biggest market share, they are completely wasting time.
What do you mean, "they cannot even market"? You don't have to be in a super secret club to publish to the App Store.

And who are you to tell someone else that they are wasting time? If you're not paying them for their time, what right do you have to tell them what to do with it? Value is subjective, always. Maybe YOU don't value spending YOUR time learning how to develop iPhone apps but that doesn't mean that other people also don't value time spent that way, and it certainly doesn't make either of you "right" or "wrong". I would rather spend a day writing code or playing video games (or, for that matter, being hung over) than spend a day "wasting" my time at an art museum or reading classic literature, but I'm not going to blow a gasket because other people would rather do the artsy-fartsy things that I don't like.
big_z is online now  
Last edited by big_z; April 9th, 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyblackandgold View Post
well then, i guess i am just the worlds biggest moron then. when they put pandora and skype in the background and pandora continued to stream over a data connection while other apps were being used, sure did seem like multitasking to me.

shame on them for pausing my game. thats just ludicrous! if they were really multitasking, that game would continue to play when i turned it off. apple is just a bunch of posers!
Thats selective multitasking, it's like saying "Hey, you can run firefox and limewire in the background, but that program you just bought from our competitor? nope. Not until we say its ok"
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_z View Post
What do you mean, "they cannot even market"? You don't have to be in a super secret club to publish to the App Store.

And who are you to tell someone else that they are wasting time? If you're not paying them for their time, what right do you have to tell them what to do with it? Value is subjective, always. Maybe YOU don't value spending YOUR time learning how to develop iPhone apps but that doesn't mean that other people also don't value time spent that way, and it certainly doesn't make either of you "right" or "wrong". I would rather spend a day writing code or playing video games (or, for that matter, being hung over) than spend a day "wasting" my time at an art museum or reading classic literature, but I'm not going to blow a gasket because other people would rather do the artsy-fartsy things that I don't like.
No you are completely misunderstanding what I am saying.

It would not be possible for them to market the applications they developed. They were trying to code an application in languages not even supported by the iphone :/.

To quote "we developed multiple stacks which we run the code through in order to get programs working on the iphone"

Edit* Ironically, I am not hiring them and your right what is a waste of time to me is a valid use of time to them. I however, am not the one who believes you need to belong to a "super secret club", however, when 3 out of 30 people in the computer science lab actually have iphones, I am free to point out the fact they are iphone centric when a minority of students actually have iphones.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Last edited by Snow_Fox; April 9th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,498
 
Device(s): Lg Optimus G HTC Flyer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 132 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBigEd View Post
I guess a Jaguar was just a rebranded Ford when they still owned Jag.

You are showing the exact same ignorance you complain about others having with this statement. The only Lexus/Toyota crossover models also happen to be the very highest level of Toyota such as the Land Cruiser, not the "econobox" models you refer to.

Lexus vehicles are some of the best engineered, appointed and equipped cars in the luxury market.
Fair enough, I've never driven a lexus, and toyota does have very high quality cars.

however, to be honest my comment was completely ignorant and in bad taste.
Snow_Fox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ttaylor0024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kansas, United States
Posts: 659
 
Device(s): Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 219 Times in 67 Posts
Default

lol from iPhones to Lexus's and Toyota :P
ttaylor0024 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.