Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge
The Lounge We're all friends here. Hang out, kick your feet up and talk about whatever the heck you want!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 581
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Default Amtrak trip to Cleveland,OH

I'd like to take a trip to Cleveland, OH from NYC on Amtrak. I just thought it would be nice to see Pennsylvania and take pictures with dSLR. I'm planing to take a trip in October when Autumn will be in all its glory. So anybody traveled on Amtrak? i just don't know anybody who did.

Advertisements
Skyroket is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Linux Nutcase
 
Prinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,592
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 660
Thanked 1,065 Times in 739 Posts
Default

I did about 16 years ago. I traveled to Florida from New Jersey. I was too young to have a DSLR or anything, but I do remember the scenery was beautiful.
Prinny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sad Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,494
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,806
Thanked 6,552 Times in 3,946 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

I did last year. Cincinnati to NYC, the trip was great but the train was 6+ hours late picking us up. It was dark for most of the trip and we didn't get into NYC till 4am.

They did give me a 350 credit though (still haven't used it though)

My advice, get the biggest room available, it's a 18+ hour ride
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 115
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
My advice, get the biggest room available, it's a 18+ hour ride
18+?
My, my!
It was that kind of a trip, eh?
Wow, AmTrak really IS hot!
Ceverol is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,716
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,259
Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,176 Posts
Default

Amtrak, Cleveland, sounds like two things to avoid lol.
__________________
"Machete don't text"
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sad Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,494
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,806
Thanked 6,552 Times in 3,946 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceverol View Post
18+?
My, my!
It was that kind of a trip, eh?
Wow, AmTrak really IS hot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Amtrak, Cleveland, sounds like two things to avoid lol.
I had the smaller room with beds and while cramped, it really was an enjoyable trip.

Walking out of Grand Central in NYC at 4am was.... interesting though
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 581
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
I had the smaller room with beds and while cramped, it really was an enjoyable trip.

Walking out of Grand Central in NYC at 4am was.... interesting though
well i'm not going to Cincinnati lol! going to Cleveland it's an 8 hour trip.
Skyroket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sad Bounty Hunter
 
NightAngel79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ky
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,494
 
Device(s): HTC OneMax; Note 10.1; DROID DNA (retired);Transformer Prime(daughter); Rezound(retired); Droid In
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 13,806
Thanked 6,552 Times in 3,946 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to NightAngel79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyroket View Post
well i'm not going to Cincinnati lol! going to Cleveland it's an 8 hour trip.
Only 8 hours? Wow, figured it wouldn't be THAT much different.

I been wanting to go again

Edit: just double checked. Amtrak lists it as a 12 hour trip
NightAngel79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

All the time. Primarily between SLC and Las Vegas. Too bad the route is no more. I will likely take the train back east. A nice, slow train trip.

I do remember the trips I took with my parents on the trains. I especially like the space between cars. Not sure why, though. As you passed between cars, this little connector was noisy and it shook. Too bad Amtrak is "improved." No more of that I suppose.

I do recall seeing stereo pictures of a few private rail cars. What a grand way to travel. The last time I checked, it was possible to pull a private car. You must have road worthy mechanicals; wheels and brakes and such.

But that was some time ago and perhaps the only place to see a truly grand private coach is on a rail side next to a musem.

What a way to travel.

Trains are very special so go ride a train. All Aboard . . .

Choo choo choo
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 581
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAngel79 View Post
Only 8 hours? Wow, figured it wouldn't be THAT much different.

I been wanting to go again

Edit: just double checked. Amtrak lists it as a 12 hour trip
Yeah you're right its a 12 hour trip... 8 hour if you drive. For some reason 8 hour stuck in my head
Skyroket is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyroket For This Useful Post:
NightAngel79 (October 12th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 581
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
All the time. Primarily between SLC and Las Vegas. Too bad the route is no more. I will likely take the train back east. A nice, slow train trip.

I do remember the trips I took with my parents on the trains. I especially like the space between cars. Not sure why, though. As you passed between cars, this little connector was noisy and it shook. Too bad Amtrak is "improved." No more of that I suppose.

I do recall seeing stereo pictures of a few private rail cars. What a grand way to travel. The last time I checked, it was possible to pull a private car. You must have road worthy mechanicals; wheels and brakes and such.

But that was some time ago and perhaps the only place to see a truly grand private coach is on a rail side next to a musem.

What a way to travel.

Trains are very special so go ride a train. All Aboard . . .

Choo choo choo
Yeah trains are cool! Can you imagine being on the train for 7 days? I once did
Skyroket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China
Posts: 9,991
 
Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanks: 3,476
Thanked 2,861 Times in 2,068 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyroket View Post
Yeah trains are cool! Can you imagine being on the train for 7 days? I once did
Friend of mine spent 13 days on a train, London to Beijing, because he doesn't like aeroplanes much.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
NightHawk877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 643
 
Device(s): AT&T LG G3 AT&T GALAXY S 3 (retired) 2013 Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 100
Thanked 126 Times in 97 Posts
Default

I'm taking the Amtrak from San Antonio to Austin to meet with some friends there to go to the US Grand Prix. I have never taken the train before.
__________________
For God so loved the world that he gave his one an only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16
NightHawk877 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.