Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge
The Lounge We're all friends here. Hang out, kick your feet up and talk about whatever the heck you want!

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree115Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Josepho1997
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default .9999...=1

I've been told that .999...=1 (.999... means .9999 repeating)
What do you think? Does. 9999=1?

 
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,188
Thanked 12,653 Times in 7,794 Posts
Default

It's close enough for me, but .999.... is repeating to me, so no, it does not equal "1". "1" = 1.0000000.... My opinion anyhoo
__________________




Click "Show" for my signature
Android Forums FAQ's
List of Staff
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

.99999... does in fact equal 1 and can be easily mathematically proved.

Let x=.9999999......
Therefore 10x=9.99999.......
10x-x =9x. == 9.99999.....-.999999....=9
So 9x=9
9x÷9 = 9÷9
Therefore x=1 which was equal to .999999... originally.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines / Meet the Team
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
chanchan05 (November 25th, 2012), ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012), Sak01 (November 27th, 2012), ScandaLeX (November 28th, 2012), scary alien (November 25th, 2012)
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,188
Thanked 12,653 Times in 7,794 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
.99999... does in fact equal 1 and can be easily mathematically proved.

Let x=.9999999......
Therefore 10x=9.99999.......
10x-x =9x. == 9.99999.....-.999999....=9
So 9x=9
9x÷9 = 9÷9
Therefore x=1 which was equal to .999999... originally.
Seems feasable...can you say the same of .22222222222......=1?
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestony View Post
Seems feasable...can you say the same of .22222222222......=1?
Following the same set if steps, you would end up with 9x =2. Thus x =2\9, which is indeed what. 2222222..... is equal to.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (November 25th, 2012), ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012), Sak01 (November 27th, 2012)
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderator
 
olbriar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Oz
Posts: 13,387
 
Device(s): HTC M8 Retired Rezound Retired Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4,537
Thanked 5,013 Times in 2,986 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
.99999... does in fact equal 1 and can be easily mathematically proved.

Let x=.9999999......
Therefore 10x=9.99999.......
10x-x =9x. == 9.99999.....-.999999....=9
So 9x=9
9x÷9 = 9÷9
Therefore x=1 which was equal to .999999... originally.
I may need your assistance come tax time.
olbriar is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olbriar For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,616
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,631
Thanked 14,088 Times in 6,881 Posts
Default

Wait a second...I was promised there'd be no math in this job!



Also, this is pretty cool: 0.999... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (they say "yes", by the way )
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012), psionandy (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,188
Thanked 12,653 Times in 7,794 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Following the same set if steps, you would end up with 9x =2. Thus x =2\9, which is indeed what. 2222222..... is equal to.
Tell me if I'm wrong here:
x=.22222222......
10x= 2.22222222......
10x-x=9x 2.22222222.....-.2222222222= 2
2=9x
divide each side by 9
2/9=x
x=.2222222222222
back to where we started


ah, I think I get it...
.99999999.....would be the only number equal to 1?
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestony View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong here:
x=.22222222......
10x= 2.22222222......
10x-x=9x 2.22222222.....-.2222222222= 2
2=9x
divide each side by 9
2/9=x
x=.2222222222222
back to where we started


ah, I think I get it...
.99999999.....would be the only number equal to 1?
Correct, it is an odd situation that comes up in mathematics. There others out there too, but I will spare everyone the messy details because the proofs involve higher mathematics and aren't easy to type. This method shown above can be used to figure out the fraction for any repeating decimal. Pretty nifty I'd say.
Mikestony likes this.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (November 25th, 2012), ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,188
Thanked 12,653 Times in 7,794 Posts
Default

I knew I should've taken math a little further in school

Thanks jhawk
jhawkkw likes this.
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,188
Thanked 12,653 Times in 7,794 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
Wait a second...I was promised there'd be no math in this job!



Also, this is pretty cool: 0.999... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (they say "yes", by the way )
Anything after the "Analytic Proof" section in that wiki link, just fried my brain
scary alien likes this.
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Resident Linux Nutcase
 
Prinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greenville, SC
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,479
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 653
Thanked 1,037 Times in 721 Posts
Default

I like how one of the tags is "trolls." o.o

This was an awesome thread. Great read. It makes total sense.
jhawkkw likes this.
Prinny is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prinny For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chemist
 
h4x0rj3ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,551
 
Device(s): SGS3 16GB - CM11 Nightlies, Nexus 7 16GB (2012) - CM10.2 Nightlies
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 494
Thanked 873 Times in 500 Posts
h4x0rj3ff@gmail.com
Default

It depends on the setting really. If your manufacturing gears with a wire edm then .9999 is still .0001 underside from 1.00000. now if you have a geometric tolerance of lets say +- .00001 than that dimention being at .9999 would bring you out of tolerance by .00009 rendering the part non conforming and scrap.
__________________
[SIGPIC]Hi Everyone!!![/SIGPIC]
h4x0rj3ff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x0rj3ff View Post
It depends on the setting really. If your manufacturing gears with a wire edm then .9999 is still .0001 underside from 1.00000. now if you have a geometric tolerance of lets say +- .00001 than that dimention being at .9999 would bring you out of tolerance by .00009 rendering the part non conforming and scrap.
Partially true. .9999 itself is not equal to 1. But the idea behind the question and the proof is for .9999...., meaning repeating infinitely forever and is absolutely 100% true.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Chemist
 
h4x0rj3ff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,551
 
Device(s): SGS3 16GB - CM11 Nightlies, Nexus 7 16GB (2012) - CM10.2 Nightlies
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 494
Thanked 873 Times in 500 Posts
h4x0rj3ff@gmail.com
Default

Also its not repeating unless it uses ~ above the last number
h4x0rj3ff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x0rj3ff View Post
Also its not repeating unless it uses ~ above the last number
That is one way to show repeating decimals, but the ellipses "..." is also widely accepted in mathematics to signify a repeating sequence.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Blame it on me
 
DaSchmarotzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 3,087
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 442
Thanked 1,558 Times in 783 Posts
Default

It's been said already, but it's true.

You can also see it even more easily like this:

(1/3) + (1/3) + (1/3) = 1

0.3333... + 0.333333... + 0.333... = 1

Therefore

0.999999..... = 1



It also works with other numbers that end with a decimal periodic 9. Such as:
23.56999999.... = 23.57
jhawkkw likes this.
DaSchmarotzer is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaSchmarotzer For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012), scary alien (November 27th, 2012)
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,671
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,949
Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,793 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

2+2=3
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
psionandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: liverpool
Posts: 352
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Nook HD+
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 95
Thanked 67 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSchmarotzer View Post
It's been said already, but it's true.

You can also see it even more easily like this:

(1/3) + (1/3) + (1/3) = 1

0.3333... + 0.333333... + 0.333... = 1

Therefore

0.999999..... = 1



It also works with other numbers that end with a decimal periodic 9. Such as:
23.56999999.... = 23.57
thats only true if you assume 0.3333... = 1/3
which (depending on context, may or may not be true




Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt View Post
2+2=3
There are 10 types of people in the world.. those that count in binary, and those that don't.
psionandy is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psionandy For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionandy View Post
thats only true if you assume 0.3333... = 1/3
which (depending on context, may or may not be true
1/3 is exactly = .333... repeated for ever and you can easily discover that for yourself by dividing 1 by 3. If you do it manually using the standard you will constantly get repeating 3's forever until you decide you've had enough punishment.

I wanted to avoid the use of higher mathematics, but the reason behind the equality is stated right in the wiki article:

Quote:
The equality of 0.999... and 1 is closely related to the absence of nonzero infinitesimals in the real number system, the most commonly used system in mathematical analysis.
Furthermore:
Quote:
The equality 0.999... = 1 has long been accepted by mathematicians and is part of general mathematical education. Nonetheless, some students find it sufficiently counterintuitive that they question or reject it, commonly enough that the difficulty of convincing them of the validity of this identity has been the subject of several studies in mathematics education
Whether anyone chooses to accept it or not is their choice, but nonetheless, it is 100% true. I often run into non-believers when I teach this topic in the Infinite Series part of Calculus II, granted the proof for that class is different giving the context of the class.
jhawkkw is online now  
Last edited by jhawkkw; July 30th, 2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Don't Feed the Trolls
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
DaSchmarotzer (November 26th, 2012), ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,616
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,631
Thanked 14,088 Times in 6,881 Posts
Default

One can look at all of the Notes, References, Further Reading, and External links listed in the wiki page.

scary alien is offline  
Last edited by jhawkkw; July 30th, 2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Removed troll quote
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

I could give you the real reason, but would require the use of real analysis which is usually a 4th year mathematics course. As I stated earlier, it has to deal with the fact that there is no non-zero infinitesimal between .999... and 1.0. In other words, there is no number between .999... and 1.
For the purpose of a proof, lets assume they are distinct numbers. For any number not ending in a infinite sequence of 9's, you can always find another number in between two different numbers by simply finding the midpoint (x1+x2)/2. This doesn't work with numbers ending in the infinite sequence of 9's because the midpoint between .9 and 1 is .95. so if you could take the midpoint of the two, following that idea, the last number would have to be a 5, which contradicts the whole notion because .999 is an infinite sequence of 9's and would actually be greater than our midpoints. This creates an absurdity, which many mathematicians call a proof by contradiction. So since our original idea about them being two different numbers let to a contradiction, that means that assumption must be false, and thus means they have to be the same number.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
dan330 (November 27th, 2012), jayb123x (November 29th, 2012), ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012), Sak01 (November 27th, 2012)
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Liamo_210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,115
 
Device(s): motorola xoom 2 ME, Samsung galaxy S3 (blue), Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 302
Thanked 767 Times in 560 Posts
Default

Without a doubt .999 =1 it can be mathematicaly proved as shown above. .222 does not =1 nor does .3333 .444 etc. Again all this was said above but i thought i would verify it.
jhawkkw likes this.
__________________
If someone has helped you, hit the THANKS button.
If you just like a post for some reason, click LIKE.
If you see someone causing trouble, hit REPORT!
Liamo_210 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liamo_210 For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
psionandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: liverpool
Posts: 352
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Nook HD+
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 95
Thanked 67 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
1/3 is exactly = .333... repeated for ever and you can easily discover that for yourself by dividing 1 by 3. If you do it manually using the standard you will constantly get repeating 3's forever until you decide you've had enough punishment.
.

well.. in that case pie is 3.14

or whatever number you get before you decide you've had enough punishment.
or 3.2 if you're a stupid person from indiana
Indiana Pi Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
scary alien and davoid like this.
psionandy is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psionandy For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (November 26th, 2012), ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012), scary alien (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,616
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,631
Thanked 14,088 Times in 6,881 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionandy View Post
well.. in that case pie is 3.14

or whatever number you get before you decide you've had enough punishment.
or 3.2 if you're a stupid person from indiana
Indiana Pi Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hey, I'm from Indiana!

Oh, wait--that means....nooooooooooo!

Glad that all happened way back 1897 .
jhawkkw likes this.
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (November 28th, 2012), Mikestony (November 26th, 2012), ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
~30% Carbon Black ±
 
Mikestony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N/W Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,921
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 4G Rooted..
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 15,188
Thanked 12,653 Times in 7,794 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionandy View Post
well.. in that case pie is 3.14

or whatever number you get before you decide you've had enough punishment.
or 3.2 if you're a stupid person from indiana
Indiana Pi Bill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You tryin to start a riot with us Indiana folk?
scary alien likes this.
Mikestony is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikestony For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
psionandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: liverpool
Posts: 352
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Nook HD+
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 95
Thanked 67 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary alien View Post
Wait a second...I was promised there'd be no math in this job!



Also, this is pretty cool: 0.999... - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (they say "yes", by the way )

Thats a pretty interesting read... and having read it I now think I get whats going on. It appears that 0.999... in the way that mathematicians currently understand it, doesn't actually mean what I thought it did.

So i'm fine with the whole 0.999... =1 thing. Which is completely different from 0.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999 =1 which it clearly isn't.

Who says you can't learn anything in pointless conversations





Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikestony View Post
You tryin to start a riot with us Indiana folk?
Only the stupid ones....

(which obviously wouldn't include anyone here)

:HidingUnderDeskSmiley:
scary alien, Mikestony and jhawkkw like this.
psionandy is online now  
Last edited by psionandy; November 26th, 2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I've got .999999999999999999999 reasons not the infinite one
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psionandy For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 26th, 2012), scary alien (November 26th, 2012)
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,612
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

so.. to recap...

.9999 not = 1
but
.9999... = 1

cool.. i can accept that.
psionandy and SUroot like this.
__________________
Later,
Dan

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan330 For This Useful Post:
psionandy (November 27th, 2012), scary alien (November 27th, 2012), SUroot (November 27th, 2012)
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Maths is funny. If a trailing car continually halves the distance between it and the car in front, it will never catch up.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbriar View Post
I may need your assistance come tax time.
With the math soltions and skills being demonstrated in this thread by some people, you will also need a good tax lawyer because you be a going to prision.

.999999 does not equal 1! And .9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999 does not equal 1, and .9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999 does not equal 1 either. Neither does .99999 (on to infinity) equal 1. And remember, infinity is not a number, it is a concept.
Stinky Stinky likes this.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Maxey For This Useful Post:
Stinky Stinky (July 29th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,612
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

dear bob,

in tax.. you round to the nearest $dollar.

so ..... .99 = 1
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
With the math soltions and skills being demonstrated in this thread by some people, you will also need a good tax lawyer because you be a going to prision.

.999999 does not equal 1! And .9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999 does not equal 1, and .9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999 does not equal 1 either. Neither does .99999 (on to infinity) equal 1. And remember, infinity is not a number, it is a concept.
If my math skills are wrong, please identify where they are wrong because I'm curious as to why you think so.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 186
Thanked 148 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
so.. to recap...

.9999 not = 1
but
.9999... = 1

cool.. i can accept that.
If you're having math problems I feel sorry for you son
I got .99 problems but a non-recurring number ain't one
jayb123x likes this.
__________________
Nexus 4: Stock
HTC Desire: OxygenZM 1.2 rom
;
Bravo Sense hboot; 4Ext Recovery; S-OFF

Sign up for Dropbox and get 2 GB of online storage + an extra 250 MB for both of us, FREE!
Sak01 is offline  
Last edited by Sak01; November 27th, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: for clarity ;)
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,612
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sak01 View Post
If you're having math problems I feel sorry for you son
I got .99 problems but a non-recurring number ain't one

is reading 1?





dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
If my math skills are wrong, please identify where they are wrong because I'm curious as to why you think so.
You can't do the maths with infinite or reccurring numbers so you must start with a set amount of digits to prove a point. An absolute number.

Multiply by 10 simply moves the decimal point. It can't conveniently make more digits or decimal places

X = .999999
10x = 9.99999

10x - x = 9x

Or

9.99999 - .999999 = 8.999991

Its not so much that your maths is wrong as it is that maths is wrong in general.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #36 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
You can't do the maths with infinite or reccurring numbers so you must start with a set amount of digits to prove a point. An absolute number.

Multiply by 10 simply moves the decimal point. It can't conveniently make more digits or decimal places

X = .999999
10x = 9.99999

10x - x = 9x

Or

9.99999 - .999999 = 8.999991

Its not so much that your maths is wrong as it is that maths is wrong in general.
This as written is correct, but fails to take into account that .999... a number of infinite length. Thus require the use of an infinite limit. I'll post the calculus proof by use of infinite series, since there is still non believers once I finish teaching my last class tonight.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #37 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 186
Thanked 148 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
is reading 1?

Probably but not on this occasion. There was nothing wrong with your maths, it's just the only way I could play on the lyrics:
99 PROBLEMS - YouTube
Sak01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,612
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,697
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

yeah.. i got musical theme to your post... funny :P

but it confers that i have something wrong with my understanding.
and it should refer to "recurring" not "non-recurring" numbers, since the issue is over "recurring" numbers (.9999...)
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
This as written is correct, but fails to take into account that .999... a number of infinite length.
Actually words 7 and 9 of my post take this into account when combined with the rest of the first sentence

If you look how your maths is written, you have .9999 ad infinitum but when you multiply it by 10, you magically have add infinitum + 1 extra digit, which is why your maths looks to work. But we all know .99999 blah is not actually 1.

Since infinity isn't really a number, it can't really be used in maths to form any cohesive proof that 1 isn't 1.

If you massage numbers correctly, you can "prove" anything and you did a good job of massaging them. Well done. But joking aside, .9 reoccurring is nothing except what it is, even if you can make it appear so on paper. Maths is the last bastion of comedy.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
Actually words 7 and 9 of my post take this into account when combined with the rest of the first sentence

If you look how your maths is written, you have .9999 ad infinitum but when you multiply it by 10, you magically have add infinitum + 1 extra digit, which is why your maths looks to work. But we all know .99999 blah is not actually 1.

Since infinity isn't really a number, it can't really be used in maths to form any cohesive proof that 1 isn't 1.

If you massage numbers correctly, you can "prove" anything and you did a good job of massaging them. Well done. But joking aside, .9 reoccurring is nothing except what it is, even if you can make it appear so on paper. Maths is the last bastion of comedy.
You certainly use infinity in math, it's one of the entire foundations of Calculus. The ability to take limits as a variable goes to positive or negative infinity is a subject that comes up in multiple topics such as horizontal asymptotes, anti-derivatives/integrals, improper integrals, and sums of infinite series. For the record, I am a college mathematics professor who teaches these topics in Calculus I & II. I never claimed to be good with taxes, just with mathematical theory. I noticed that people picked apart my algebraic proof with skepticism, but flat out ignored my proof through analysis most likely because very few ever take 4th year mathematics courses when single variable calculus is considered to be first year. As promised, I am going to provide the proof that anyone who has taken calculus II could do by use of the Geometric Series. Just so people don't think I pull formulas out of thin air, I'm actually going to use a formula in this proof that you can look up in any calculus textbook, and I will even cite one, James Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals 5th Edition(ISBN:0-534-39321-7). Because the proof requires the use of symbols not easily typed, I have hand written it and attached it to this. Hopefully this will be much more convincing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (258.3 KB, 38 views)
Mikestony and palmtree5 like this.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Mikestony (November 27th, 2012), palmtree5 (July 29th, 2013), Sak01 (November 27th, 2012), scary alien (November 27th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Sak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, HTC Desire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 186
Thanked 148 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
yeah.. i got musical theme to your post... funny :P

but it confers that i have something wrong with my understanding.
and it should refer to "recurring" not "non-recurring" numbers, since the issue is over "recurring" numbers (.9999...)
So the recurring number in question IS one ( .999... = 1)
But a non-recurring number ain't "one" (.999 =/= 1)

Which is what you correctly stated.

I've heard a puppy gets strangled every second a bad joke gets dragged out so I better cease and deactivate.
Sak01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #42 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
You certainly use infinity in math, it's one of the entire foundations of Calculus. The ability to take limits as a variable goes to positive or negative infinity is a subject that comes up in multiple topics such as horizontal asymptotes, anti-derivatives/integrals, improper integrals, and sums of infinite series. For the record, I am a college mathematics professor who teaches these topics in Calculus I & II. I never claimed to be good with taxes, just with mathematical theory. I noticed that people picked apart my algebraic proof with skepticism, but flat out ignored my proof through analysis most likely because very few ever take 4th year mathematics courses when single variable calculus is considered to be first year. As promised, I am going to provide the proof that anyone who has taken calculus II could do by use of the Geometric Series. Just so people don't think I pull formulas out of thin air, I'm actually going to use a formula in this proof that you can look up in any calculus textbook, and I will even cite one, James Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals 5th Edition(ISBN:0-534-39321-7). Because the proof requires the use of symbols not easily typed, I have hand written it and attached it to this. Hopefully this will be much more convincing.
Thanks for posting that. I know that infinity is used in maths. I think you're missing my point. I did not say your maths was wrong. I said maths in general is wrong. I am completely comfortable arguing this with a college mathematics professor. In fact, thats all the more poignant.

1 is 1. .9999' is not 1. I am using ' as the symbol for recurring as there isn't one.

We cannot use infinity to prove something that is not 1 is actually 1. Infinity is not a number. It is s concept. Recurring numbers do not actually exist. If I have 9 cakes, I can share them between 3 people equally. If I have 2 people, cutting the cake is possible. If I have 10 cakes and 3 people, cutting the cake wont work. It is physically not possible.

Recurring numbers exist so from a mathematical stand point, it is possible when in reality we know the contrary to be true.

So now we have a series of equations that attempt to prove .9999' is equal to 1. The mathematics behind it stands up. My point is, that is irrelevant. Using a non-existant number in an equation to prove that something that really exists is in fact something else, wont wash.

Mathematics is hugely flawed and even the greatest mathematical minds of our time still do not understand it fully. We know 1 is 1. We know .9999' is not 1. We cannot use mathematical flaws (the use of things that cannot exist) to prove otherwise. If all it is doing is "proving" that the opposite of reality is true (incorrectly) then it's use of proving anything lessens significantly. Its credibility is lost.

So you see, its not me against you. Its reality against maths. .9999' is the closest you can get in maths to 1 without being 1 and no amount of mathematical loop holes will change that.

Maths exists in reality and has its uses in everyday life. I do not deny. How else will I share cakes fairly or count in binary?! However as infinity is a concept and not a reality, regardless as to whether we can use it to show something that doesn't exist is the same as something that does exist, doesn't make it conclusive or even correct. You can only use existing numbers in reality to prove conclusively, which I've already shown proves the opposite and that my good man, is my point.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #43 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Xyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,991
 
Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 3,186
Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,840 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionandy View Post
There are 10 types of people in the world.. those that count in binary, and those that don't.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base-3.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines

If you see a post that needs a mod's attention, hit the button.
Xyro is online now  
Last edited by Xyro; November 28th, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xyro For This Useful Post:
Mehta23 (November 28th, 2012)
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #44 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyro View Post
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base-3.
Nice spin Xyro, I don't think I've ever seen that classic that way. I'll have to remember that alternate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post

1)If I have 10 cakes and 3 people, cutting the cake wont work. It is physically not possible.

2)Recurring numbers exist so from a mathematical stand point, it is possible when in reality we know the contrary to be true.

3)Mathematics is hugely flawed and even the greatest mathematical minds of our time still do not understand it fully. We know 1 is 1. We know .9999' is not 1.
1st point: you might not have intended or realized this, but this indirectly proves my point. I'll get to it after number 2.

2nd point: repeating numbers exist because of division. You slightly hint at this with the cake reference, but is an unwanted consequence of dividing by certain prime numbers. Also, not every decimal that is infinite in length is a repeating number. The two most famous ones being PI (the ratio between a circle's circumference and diameter), or e (the base of the natural logarithm).

Back to number 1, which is an expansion on a slightly less rigorous method shown earlier.. The cake problem is exactly how defining 1/3 comes about. If you attempt to define 1/3 in decimal form, it becomes a never ending attempt of dividing 3 into 10. You will always get 3 with a remainder of 1, and thus have to bring down another 0 and create a brand new 10, and the resulting decimal is .333... or .333` as you last wrote. Extrapolate that problem to 2/3. This ones again turns into a never ending problem, but this time trying to divide 20 by 3, which results in 6 with a remainder of 2, forcing you to bring down the next zero. These numbers do not terminate because the division never terminates, not because we don't want them to or because it is convenient for them to continue on forever, it's because that's how the algorithm is done. In conclusion, simple addition of 1/3 + 2/3 would get us 3/3 or 1. since .333... and .666... only contain 3s or 6s and. There is no 4 in 1/3 or 7 in 2/3 at the end of the tunnel,and 3+6 is nine, so the result of adding .333... (1/3)and .666... (2/3)would give us .999... (3/3=1). And while not everything can be easily cut into thirds, one thing that can be cut into thirds are circles into into 3 120 degree parts.

Point 3) All of the great mathematical minds accept the fact that .999... = 1, which is why this particular problem in relation to accepting it to be true is studied, because it puzzles us mathematicians why people cannot accept it to be true when the math is 100 percent sound. In fact, math is one of the only things that is ABSOLUTE. The 5 basic operators(+-*/^) don't just work in some cases and not in others. If you follow the rules of math, it will always work out and will always be correct, granted, not everyone knows all the rules as evident in many papers I grade . If you drive at a constant rate of 60mph, for exactly 2 hours, you will drive 120 miles. not 119, not 121, but exactly 120. . Mathematicians might not have discovered or proved everything in math, such as the P=NP question, the Riemann Hypothesis, or any of the other millennium questions, but what has been proven is FACT.

Accepting things to be true that don't intuitively seem to be true is tough. I was the same way when I was in school with certain topics, such as the total number of integers and rational numbers (fractions) are equal until I saw the proof using the Cantor pairing function (it's actually quite elegant) .
SUroot likes this.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Nice spin Xyro, I don't think I've ever seen that classic that way. I'll have to remember that alternate.



1st point: you might not have intended or realized this, but this indirectly proves my point. I'll get to it after number 2.

2nd point: repeating numbers exist because of division. You slightly hint at this with the cake reference, but is an unwanted consequence of dividing by certain prime numbers. Also, not every decimal that is infinite in length is a repeating number. The two most famous ones being PI (the ratio between a circle's circumference and diameter), or e (the base of the natural logarithm).

Back to number 1, which is an expansion on a slightly less rigorous method shown earlier.. The cake problem is exactly how defining 1/3 comes about. If you attempt to define 1/3 in decimal form, it becomes a never ending attempt of dividing 3 into 10. You will always get 3 with a remainder of 1, and thus have to bring down another 0 and create a brand new 10, and the resulting decimal is .333... or .333` as you last wrote. Extrapolate that problem to 2/3. This ones again turns into a never ending problem, but this time trying to divide 20 by 3, which results in 6 with a remainder of 2, forcing you to bring down the next zero. These numbers do not terminate because the division never terminates, not because we don't want them to or because it is convenient for them to continue on forever, it's because that's how the algorithm is done. In conclusion, simple addition of 1/3 + 2/3 would get us 3/3 or 1. since .333... and .666... only contain 3s or 6s and. There is no 4 in 1/3 or 7 in 2/3 at the end of the tunnel,and 3+6 is nine, so the result of adding .333... (1/3)and .666... (2/3)would give us .999... (3/3=1). And while not everything can be easily cut into thirds, one thing that can be cut into thirds are circles into into 3 120 degree parts.

Point 3) All of the great mathematical minds accept the fact that .999... = 1, which is why this particular problem in relation to accepting it to be true is studied, because it puzzles us mathematicians why people cannot accept it to be true when the math is 100 percent sound. In fact, math is one of the only things that is ABSOLUTE. The 5 basic operators(+-*/^) don't just work in some cases and not in others. If you follow the rules of math, it will always work out and will always be correct, granted, not everyone knows all the rules as evident in many papers I grade . If you drive at a constant rate of 60mph, for exactly 2 hours, you will drive 120 miles. not 119, not 121, but exactly 120. . Mathematicians might not have discovered or proved everything in math, such as the P=NP question, the Riemann Hypothesis, or any of the other millennium questions, but what has been proven is FACT.

Accepting things to be true that don't intuitively seem to be true is tough. I was the same way when I was in school with certain topics, such as the total number of integers and rational numbers (fractions) are equal until I saw the proof using the Cantor pairing function (it's actually quite elegant) .

All I'm going to say is show me .3333' of a cake
XplosiV and jhawkkw like this.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #46 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,373
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,726
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,299 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
All I'm going to say is show me .3333' of a cake
In some cases it can be done easily, like a cake of length 12 inches can be cut into 3rds with length 4, or a circular cake (like a wedding cake) of 120 degrees. But for lengths that are not a multiple of 3, we has humans do not tools precise enough to make the cut exactly equal 3rds.
In the end, the practicality of the argument does seem worthless. But just because something is worthless doesn't make it untrue. What an ugly double negative.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #47 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
SUroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 23,926
 
Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
In some cases it can be done easily, like a cake of length 12 inches can be cut into 3rds with length 4, or a circular cake (like a wedding cake) of 120 degrees. But for lengths that are not a multiple of 3, we has humans do not tools precise enough to make the cut exactly equal 3rds.
In the end, the practicality of the argument does seem worthless. But just because something is worthless doesn't make it untrue. What an ugly double negative.
heheh fair enough.
SUroot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 242
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 (black)
Carrier: TMobile

Thanks: 9
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
Thanks for posting that. I know that infinity is used in maths. I think you're missing my point. I did not say your maths was wrong. I said maths in general is wrong. I am completely comfortable arguing this with a college mathematics professor. In fact, thats all the more poignant.

1 is 1. .9999' is not 1. I am using ' as the symbol for recurring as there isn't one.

We cannot use infinity to prove something that is not 1 is actually 1. Infinity is not a number. It is s concept. Recurring numbers do not actually exist. If I have 9 cakes, I can share them between 3 people equally. If I have 2 people, cutting the cake is possible. If I have 10 cakes and 3 people, cutting the cake wont work. It is physically not possible.

Recurring numbers exist so from a mathematical stand point, it is possible when in reality we know the contrary to be true.

So now we have a series of equations that attempt to prove .9999' is equal to 1. The mathematics behind it stands up. My point is, that is irrelevant. Using a non-existant number in an equation to prove that something that really exists is in fact something else, wont wash.

Mathematics is hugely flawed and even the greatest mathematical minds of our time still do not understand it fully. We know 1 is 1. We know .9999' is not 1. We cannot use mathematical flaws (the use of things that cannot exist) to prove otherwise. If all it is doing is "proving" that the opposite of reality is true (incorrectly) then it's use of proving anything lessens significantly. Its credibility is lost.

So you see, its not me against you. Its reality against maths. .9999' is the closest you can get in maths to 1 without being 1 and no amount of mathematical loop holes will change that.

Maths exists in reality and has its uses in everyday life. I do not deny. How else will I share cakes fairly or count in binary?! However as infinity is a concept and not a reality, regardless as to whether we can use it to show something that doesn't exist is the same as something that does exist, doesn't make it conclusive or even correct. You can only use existing numbers in reality to prove conclusively, which I've already shown proves the opposite and that my good man, is my point.
Part of your problem is that you think there are non-existent numbers.

1/3 is not a non-existent number. It is impossible to represent finitely as a decimal number. That's a simple way of saying that it is impossible to represent as a finite sum of powers of 10. If, however, you were to think in terms of base-3, 1/3 is neatly represented as .1

To say that something is not a number simply because it can't be finitely represented in the base system of your choice would be to end computer math as we know it, because there are a *lot* of numbers that can't be finitely represented as powers of 2. 1/5 (.2) is one such number. The nice and neat .2 in decimal is represented by the infinitely repeating (and in your world, "nonexistant") .0011001100110011...
(note, I am well aware that computers don't represent floating point numbers this way).

Man, it's really going to blow some of your minds when you learn that e^i*pi = -1, where i is the square root of -1.
big_z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
palmtree5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,744
 
Device(s): HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Prevail (retired), Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 1,462 Times in 754 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
You certainly use infinity in math, it's one of the entire foundations of Calculus. The ability to take limits as a variable goes to positive or negative infinity is a subject that comes up in multiple topics such as horizontal asymptotes, anti-derivatives/integrals, improper integrals, and sums of infinite series. For the record, I am a college mathematics professor who teaches these topics in Calculus I & II. I never claimed to be good with taxes, just with mathematical theory. I noticed that people picked apart my algebraic proof with skepticism, but flat out ignored my proof through analysis most likely because very few ever take 4th year mathematics courses when single variable calculus is considered to be first year. As promised, I am going to provide the proof that anyone who has taken calculus II could do by use of the Geometric Series. Just so people don't think I pull formulas out of thin air, I'm actually going to use a formula in this proof that you can look up in any calculus textbook, and I will even cite one, James Stewart's Calculus Early Transcendentals 5th Edition(ISBN:0-534-39321-7). Because the proof requires the use of symbols not easily typed, I have hand written it and attached it to this. Hopefully this will be much more convincing.
Never thought I'd see calculus references here...
scary alien, Mikestony and jhawkkw like this.
palmtree5 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
not really so scary
 
scary alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 16,616
 
Device(s): LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7, Moto Droid X, HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 30,631
Thanked 14,088 Times in 6,881 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtree5 View Post
Never thought I'd see calculus references here...
I know, right?!

jhawkkw and palmtree5 like this.
scary alien is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
fun, math, offtopic


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.