Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge
The Lounge We're all friends here. Hang out, kick your feet up and talk about whatever the heck you want!

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By general eclect
  • 1 Post By EarlyMon
  • 1 Post By mikedt
  • 2 Post By SiempreTuna

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 118
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Android VS IOS VS Windows Phone? Better Software?

Hey all,

So my Question or Topic is why have you chosen Android over Apple (IOS) or Nokia (Windows Phone).

All of them are great phones, but what makes Android the better phone
out of all them? Do you disagree that Android is a better phone to the other brands?

I've had all 3 softwares to play with. I personally love the Android software and phone simply because you are more free to do what you want. You get more for your money, you may not have as much apps as an Apple Store but then, depending on what apps your really wanting (as I yet to say oh apple has this app and android hasn't).
To top it off, I have a great forum site that if I need hints and tips I can just go into and I get help instantly.

Apple is a nicer premium phone and look and you feel like you are more connected with people when you have an Apple phone although you don't feel connected when your looking for any sort of friendly forums. It's not as nice as Android (phandroid). As for Windows, well if we give it a couple of years, I can't see why it shouldn't be just as great, although they left it a little too late to catch up.

What you reckon, Iphone is alot better than Android? You an avid windows fan and prefer that? Lets rack up them thoughts. lol :-)


Rules - Very Simple and Straight forward

1) Why do you prefer Apple, Android or Windows phone to the others?

2) Give me an example of why it is a better phone/software.

3) This is a new one - if you can chose to mix up the phones (so Iphone with Android software) or Lumia 920, with Android gestures with Apple IOS (as an example). What sort of phone would you want?

pasqo83 is offline  
Last edited by pasqo83; April 13th, 2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Someone please move this thread - wrong area :( - also added rules
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
general eclect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: downunder
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,230
 
Device(s): HTC Desire S
Carrier: Telstra

Thanks: 52
Thanked 390 Times in 329 Posts
Default

What are the rules of this game?

SkyJackpot likes this.
general eclect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 118
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Very Simple Rules

1) Why do you prefer Apple, Android or Windows phone to the others?

2) Give me an example of why it is a better phone/software.

3) This is a new one - if you can chose to mix up the phones (so Iphone with Android software) or Lumia 920, with Android gestures with Apple IOS (as an example). What sort of phone would you want?
pasqo83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
general eclect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: downunder
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,230
 
Device(s): HTC Desire S
Carrier: Telstra

Thanks: 52
Thanked 390 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Sorry, I was being a smartarse. You created the thread in the forum games sub-forum. You may get the responses you're looking for in the Android Lounge...


...I guess you could ask a mod to move your thread over there, failing that start a new one there and get this one deleted.
general eclect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default

Well I have moved this to the Lounge section. Since its not really a forum game.

Thanks for understanding
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AntimonyER For This Useful Post:
pasqo83 (April 13th, 2013)
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasqo83 View Post
Very Simple Rules

1) Why do you prefer Apple, Android or Windows phone to the others?

2) Give me an example of why it is a better phone/software.

3) This is a new one - if you can chose to mix up the phones (so Iphone with Android software) or Lumia 920, with Android gestures with Apple IOS (as an example). What sort of phone would you want?
1.) I prefer Android for one simple reason: it runs on the Linux operating system.

2.) I'm a long-time Linux user, and know that I can use the underlying Linux OS that powers Android to do whatever I want. The other phone products can't do that for me.

3.) I'm happy with what I have. No need to overcomplicate things.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,626
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,698
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

never tried iphone... but hate the company for how they run it.. so i refuse to give them my $$.

never used win phone.. but dont see the point of it.. yet. they need more time to make it better. but do they have time?
__________________
Later,
Dan

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
dan330 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
davoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London
Posts: 1,644
 
Device(s): Galaxy SIII
Carrier: 3UK

Thanks: 616
Thanked 571 Times in 434 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
never used win phone.. but dont see the point of it..
Same here. Nokia should have made an android device...

Thing is, it would take a lot to raise their app market to the level of android or iOS
davoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,684
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,957
Thanked 1,959 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Why I believe Android is better:

1. Source code: The source code for Android is freely available. This allows the entire world to audit the source code for problems and security holes allowing anyone to alert the android community to potential problems.

2. Custom systems: Users can obtain the source code, change it and re-compile it for a custom android experience. Users are also free to re-distribute their custom systems without repercussions.

3. Customization: Users of stock devices can personalize the device by replacing any app with the user's chosen default - including the launcher. Rooting allows for even deeper customization.

4. Affordability: Android devices come in various sizes and configurations allowing users to purchase a device that fits their lifestyle as well as their wallet.

5. App distribution: Users are free to create and distribute their own apps as they desire.
ardchoille is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
never tried iphone...

never used win phone...
Good point. I've never used a phone running an Apple or Microsoft OS. OTOH, before Android even existed, I was looking to buy phones that ran Linux instead of some proprietary embedded OS. I probably wouldn't but an Apple or Windows phone as long as there was an alternative. I own a Psion 5mx, and I'd be happy to own a phone running Symbian EPOC.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,073
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,721
Thanked 54,864 Times in 21,884 Posts
Default

1. I prefer Android because I prefer more choices than the others offer.

2. It's better because it's better for me. I get a bigger phone with more options, superior battery life, best screen I've seen yet and outstanding call quality.

3. Sorry, that's hardly new. With various apps and launchers and roms you can make an Android play just about however you like. Including launchers and themes to make yours look/feel like an iPhone or Windows job.

Number 3 has the same confusion we always see - you list non-Android phone models, then list Android as if it were a phone. It's not. It's an entire operating system. You can compare iOS vs. Android or an HTC One vs a Lumia 920, but you can't really compare an iPhone to "an Android."

As to your point -

Quote:
Apple is a nicer premium phone...
Apple is not a phone, an iPhone is and there are several models currently being sold.

And for each, I can cite an example of a superior premium Android phone, so - that's not quite true as stated.

Also -

Quote:
As for Windows, well if we give it a couple of years, I can't see why it shouldn't be just as great, although they left it a little too late to catch up.
I'm not sure of your smartphone background, so here goes: Windows was one of the dominant smartphone operating systems a few years ago, far above iOS and Android. Apple handed them their lunch, and Android finished it by rolling them for what was left of their spare change.

Windows has had its couple of years, blew it, and won't be coming back.

Android is as safe or safer to get apps from our Store as the Apple one. Anyone saying otherwise is believing an urban myth.

Support on Apple phones is not better than Android brands. Anyone saying otherwise is believing an urban myth.

Unlike other phones where you're locked in to things, there are far more reasons people have for running Android because there are far more options.

And no, jailbreaking an iPhone does not solve that at all, that's another one of the myths.

There is no perfect phone. There is no best phone.

There's only the best phone for you at a given time that seems most perfect at fulfilling your needs.

For most people in the world, that's Android because it affords more choices. For others, it's an iPhone or a Windows phone. Even a Blackbery.
Speed Daemon likes this.
EarlyMon is offline  
Last edited by EarlyMon; April 14th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
Slug (April 15th, 2013)
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Bob Maxey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,837
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 381
Thanked 811 Times in 641 Posts
Default

Android because of the variety and huge screens. No other reason; if there was an iPhone with a larger screen, I might go for that. No real preference. If it makes calls, I am good.

As far as tablets go, iPad. Lots invested in applications.
Bob Maxey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Stuntman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,018
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, Asus Eee Pad Transformer with Keyboard Dock, Nokia N97
Carrier: Bell

Thanks: 209
Thanked 573 Times in 451 Posts
Default

My first smartphone was a Nokia N97 running Symbian. I chose it because I wanted a phone with a landscape slider keyboard and a good mapping app (as I was going on a vacation soon after buying it). It had everything I asked for. Unfortunately, it sucked at pretty much everything else.

When I got back from my vacation, I had enough of the N97. I chose the HTC Desire Z running Android because it was the best phone out there that had a landscape slider keyboard. I learned more about smartphones by then.

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3. There were no high end, current (at the time) phones on my carrier with keyboards. I stuck with Android because I was familiar with it and I already have an Android tablet, the Eee Pad Transformer, at the time.

Overall, Android does pretty much what I need to do on a phone or tablet device. I take advantage of many of the features not available on other mobile platforms such as widgets. From my understanding of iOS, Windows Phone and BlackBerry, I feel I would be losing a lot if I switched away from Android.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 118
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post

Number 3 has the same confusion we always see - you list non-Android phone models, then list Android as if it were a phone. It's not. It's an entire operating system.
I meant if you was to mix it up - an Iphone with Android on it or a Nokia Lumia with Android, hell what about a Galaxy S3 with Windows on it lol..


Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Apple is not a phone, an iPhone is and there are several models currently being sold.

Sorry, wrong wording but yeah I know
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
I'm not sure of your smartphone background, so here goes: Windows was one of the dominant smartphone operating systems a few years ago, far above iOS and Android. Apple handed them their lunch, and Android finished it by rolling them for what was left of their spare change.

Windows has had its couple of years, blew it, and won't be coming back.
I never had a windows phone when the "smartphones" were first released, just simply because in the UK it wasn't the "in" or "hyped" up thing. Windows done a bad job marketing back then. It was more Android or the Iphone that kicked it off, can't remember which order. But Im looking at it as Windows have launched Windows 8 for everything, there OS for the phones is supposed to tie into this as well. They can reach alot more consumers since most people have a Windows PC at home so syncing between a Windows PC/Laptop to a phone will just be at a touch of a button and not the rubbish Itunes way. They have 1 ecosystem to say so they wont want different variations, but I understand that Windows done such a bad job and relaunched way too late but in a few years time, I can see them being where Android is.

I love how Android is just a plug it in and drop it off. Im a bit annoyed there is no central system to back it up just in case things go wrong (apps etc) as I do not want to root the phone.

Apple are to stuck in there ways, which is why I have gone for Android, you are more free to do what you want and as you wish with your phone thats why I love the power of Android and the fact of the amount of phone choices you have :-)
pasqo83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
你好
 
mikedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Xilinhot, China 中国锡林浩特
Posts: 8,738
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanks: 2,971
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,804 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt
Default

1) Android, simply because of price, and the wide variety to chose from in all shapes and sizes. iPhones are horribly expensive here, $600-$1000 depending on model and storage capacity. Windows Phone doesn't seem to be easily available, and the one or two Nokia Lumia handsets that I've seen occasionally, like the iPhones are horribly expensive.

2) With the iPhone, I'd have to use proprietary Windows software(iTunes) to sync my content into the phones from my PCs. I don't use Windows for various reasons, and I don't have a Mac. Android doesn't have any proprietary Windows software requirements.

3) Happy with Android. Not a lot else to add really.
Speed Daemon likes this.
__________________
The People's Guide to Android in the People's Republic.
Honorary Grand Poobah Shenzhen University English Corner.
http://welcometomychina.tumblr.com/
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
mikedt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,451
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 831 Times in 745 Posts
Default

Not sure that Android being Linux-based is so different from iOS being Darwin-based: both Linux and Darwin are open source versions of Unix.

Sure, Android itself is also open-source(-ish - there's been some controversy over definitions, I know) however I really don't think that makes the slightest bit of difference to the average punter. Please note that I don't consider people on here to be average punters: the fact you even know what open source is proves you're not

I guess I chose Android largely because it had options for cheapskates like myself ($15/month for what was later voted phone of the year anyone?), but also because I hated the Apple-Induced-Arrogance displayed by iPhone users in the early days - remember how they practically thrust their new toy in your face every time you got on a train?

Don't really notice that so much these days .. but now I have so many other reasons to dislike Apple

I do admit that their phones are usually beautiful and always beautifully built, though.

As a long time 'droid user, I struggle to use them: I keep finding myself back at the home screen for no discernable reason. Or rather, for the very obvious reason that I pressed the only available button as I unconciously assumed it meant back one screen not all the way back to the beginning.

As for Windows phones, the latest Nokias look fine and the OS seems OK though, as I say, I'm used to Android so there would be learning curve .. that I don't see any compelling reason to climb.
SiempreTuna is offline  
Last edited by SiempreTuna; April 15th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
Not sure that Android being Linux-based is so different from iOS being Darwin-based: both Linux and Darwin are open source versions of Unix.
No, that's not correct.

We really don't know what is the basis for Apple's IOS. It could be Cisco's IOS for all we know! Whetever is on notmePhones, it's NOT FOSS. Not in any sense or manner. It's completely closed and proprietary. There's no community supporting IOS, just Apple.

Quote:
Sure, Android itself is also open-source(-ish - there's been some controversy over definitions, I know) however I really don't think that makes the slightest bit of difference to the average punter.
Oh, but it does! Even if the "average punter" fails to comprehend the finer points of what they're getting, they're still getting the full benefit of a FOSS with the public oversight and bugfixes that come with it. While the Android part may be less open than the Linux part, you can at least be assured that the Linux part will not be closed to the public, because Google doesn't own it.

By the same token, if the Android part does become unacceptable, there will be a Linux community, still building Linux distributions that will run those devices freely. If you buy a notmePhone, there's no third party hardware support whatsoever. If it quits working, you're at Apple's mercy.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Last edited by Speed Daemon; April 16th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #18 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,073
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,721
Thanked 54,864 Times in 21,884 Posts
Default

iOS is definitely not a Darwin derivative, whatever it is. Marketing ties it to OS X, but that's it. Different multitasking model.
EarlyMon is offline  
Last edited by EarlyMon; April 16th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
Speed Daemon (April 16th, 2013)
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,451
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 831 Times in 745 Posts
Default

I stand corrected - teach me to trust stuff you read on the t'interweb
SiempreTuna is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
iOS is definitely not a Darwin derivative, whatever it is. Marketing ties it to OS X, but that's it. Different multitasking model.
Apple says a lot of things that ain't necessarily so. They were saying that OSX was UNIX® even though it wasn't. After quite a few years they finally got certification from the Open Group, so technically they're not liars any more. But that's sort of like a no account bum marrying into a respectable family. They can call it UNIX® but it still lacks the pedigree. And irony of ironies, nobody really cares.

Linux on the other hand is like a self-made man; the Ben Franklin of computing. Salt of the earth. No need for a pedigree; the resume says it all. This is an OS that came ready to work. That's what's behind Android.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Hadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dimension Jumping
Posts: 11,590
 
Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanks: 2,158
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,488 Posts
Default

Well given that this is AF it's no surprise people are voting Android

1) Flexibility, options (hardware and software), customisation, openness.

2) Where to start? That my wife and I have very different requirements but can both find Android phones that suit us? That anyone can change their user interface to suit them without root? Or that if you want to you can change almost everything?

3) The current flagships with unlocked bootloaders and Nexus-like AOSP support and updates out of the box. Or a slightly more compact phone with high end innards. While there is some nice hardware on other platforms, there's nothing that makes me say "if only that had my preferred OS".
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines - Android Forums FAQ
If a post helps you, use the Thanks! button.
Spam or offensive? Don't respond, report it /!\
Hadron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sfbloodbrother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,465
 
Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 473 Times in 393 Posts
bbbloodbrothercccx
Default

I currently have an iPhone amd don't really intend on switching. Sure I like android better but what can a android phone so that my iPhone can't? I'm talking about just my basic needs. Phones are not a part of my life I can live without them but my tablet I really need, which is why I use android for my tablet.
All I use my phone for is, texting, phone calls, and occasional music. That's it! Nothing really more or less to my iPhone than that. That's why I find no need in upgrading my iPhone.
Why pay more money for something I won't need it for.
When the iPhone gets slow to the point where it can no longer play music or other things I need, I will then upgrade to a android phone.

Again i am impressed with android, just I don't find a need to upgrade at the moment.
sfbloodbrother is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,451
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 831 Times in 745 Posts
Default

No point changing a phone if it does everything you need

If it ain't broke ..*





* Not sure that's a sentiment many are going to share on a forum with so many moders, but there you go
EarlyMon and Hadron like this.
SiempreTuna is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SiempreTuna For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (April 16th, 2013)
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
tastycaramel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

To be honest, I really dislike the interface of Windows Phone. I tried my friend's Lumia 720 and the interface is just garbage and not user-friendly. Not only are apps limited, but the popularity of windows phone isn't very high. In the end, this links to lesser developers working on it and lesser apps and mods.
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Community > The Lounge
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.