Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Magic > Magic - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default CyanogenMod 5.0.7 (Android 2.1) on post e911 magic

Ok guys here is what I did to get Cyanogen 5.0.7 on my Magic+ (Yes this had the e911 perfect spl) This entire procedure was performed without a SIM card in the phone. So far I'm the only one that I know that's done this and I had a few tense moments trying to get something to work where I thought I bricked the phone. Keep the most recent Rogers RUU (e911) around as it saved my ass a couple of times.

** This will put you on the old Rogers Radio so either fill out the waiver or be prepared to loose your data **

Rogers Magic Post E911 update to Cyanogen 5.0.7 (Android 2.1) The GreatBigDog Report

*** UPDATE, NEW GUIDE THAT GIVES YOU THE DREAM E911 RADIO ***
Rogers post E911 Magic to CM 5.0.8 (Android 2.1) with Dream E911 Radio The GreatBigDog Report
************************************************** ****

*** UPDATE 2 NEW (SHORTER) GUIDE THAT'S ARRANGED BETTER ***
[http://greatbigdog01.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/new-shorter-rogers-magicmagic-rooting-guide/
WARNING - this is an untested procedure
************************************************** **

*** UPDATE 3 NEW Script to root and install CyanogenMod***
Good for either the Dream or Magic
Rooting your Rogers E911 Magic or Dream using exploid script. The GreatBigDog Report
WARNING - this is an untested procedure
************************************************** **



gbd

GreatBigDog is offline  
Last edited by GreatBigDog; August 11th, 2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Updated with new guide
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreatBigDog For This Useful Post:
CooL_SpoT (May 1st, 2010), Freddedonna (May 29th, 2010), jdodds (May 28th, 2010), Maxxy (June 13th, 2010), puleen (June 6th, 2010), tsouthen (June 3rd, 2010)
sponsored links
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 58
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Great guide. I never did the 911 update, but the last part is exactly what I did to install it.

Ran neocore, got 22 fps. Gallery works (though it did glitch out on me once). Everything seems to work awesome! I installed this keyboard:

[MOD] HTC_IME (29th April) v25: Custom sounds and much more - xda-developers

as I liked the HTC one better. Speech to text is awesome! Very happy with this.
zortoflaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
 
Device(s): HTC Magic: CM 5.0.8 HTC Dream: CM 5.0.8
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

You never cease to amaze me, GBD! You are most definitely a credit to the Android community as a whole, and especially to the Rogers Android community! Very fast work, my friend!

*sigh* Looks like there's more rooting work for me in the coming nights!
CooL_SpoT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooL_SpoT View Post
You never cease to amaze me, GBD! You are most definitely a credit to the Android community as a whole, and especially to the Rogers Android community! Very fast work, my friend!

*sigh* Looks like there's more rooting work for me in the coming nights!
Thanks!! Kudos to the guys over at XDA though, if they hadn't done all the legwork I wouldn't have been able tofigure this out.
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatBigDog For This Useful Post:
puleen (May 4th, 2010)
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
 
Device(s): HTC Magic: CM 5.0.8 HTC Dream: CM 5.0.8
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Being that the Magic's and the Dream's hardware are so similar, is there any chance that this would work on the Dream as well?

I know it's a long-shot, as I would expect word of that would be spreading just as quickly, but I'm hopeful!
CooL_SpoT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooL_SpoT View Post
Being that the Magic's and the Dream's hardware are so similar, is there any chance that this would work on the Dream as well?

I know it's a long-shot, as I would expect word of that would be spreading just as quickly, but I'm hopeful!
I haven't seen any sort of RUU around the net for the dream but if there its one leaked I'm sure that we'll hear about it fairly quickly. Someone else will have to test that one out though as my Dream is already rooted.
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Samsung Note II Samsung Captivate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Just a note to state the obvious the CM-5.0.7 is for old radio only. There are no ports for the new radio (6.35.xxx).

Unless you revert back to old radio with GBD guide don't bother trying. I tought the guide was only for rerooting and did not find any info on CM forum regarding the old/new radio info. I got frustrated with errors when trying to update to CM and had to nand restore my previous 2.1 rom for new radio.
Silvertag is offline  
Last edited by Silvertag; May 3rd, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertag View Post
Just a note to state the obvious the CM-5.0.7 is for old radio only. There are no ports for the new radio (6.35.xxx).

Unless you revert back to old radio with GBD guide don't bother trying. I tought the guide was only for rerooting and did not find any info on CM forum regarding the old/new radio info. I got frustrated with errors when trying to update to CM and had to nand restore my previous 2.1 rom for new radio.
You're right OLD RADIO only!! Cyanogen is not compatible with the new radio. If you flash the new radio before trying to install cyanogen, you will get an error when trying to flash cyanogen. Been there - done that :-(

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Ok.. So I got 2.1 on my magic and its running great but when I try to do the Rogers Waiver, it says that my IMEI number is invalid.. can I call rogers and have them do it for me?
jscrimshaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): HTC Magic, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
Ok.. So I got 2.1 on my magic and its running great but when I try to do the Rogers Waiver, it says that my IMEI number is invalid.. can I call rogers and have them do it for me?
I'm having the same problem. I haven't put 2.1 on my phone yet, though. If we've already put the 911 update on, would we still loose data after rooting and upgrading our phones?

EDIT: Also, is it possible to revert back to the stock post-911 rogers software?
crossed.out is offline  
Last edited by crossed.out; May 3rd, 2010 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossed.out View Post
I'm having the same problem. I haven't put 2.1 on my phone yet, though. If we've already put the 911 update on, would we still loose data after rooting and upgrading our phones?

EDIT: Also, is it possible to revert back to the stock post-911 rogers software?
Do you have a Magic or Magic+, it's possible that the Magic+ is not on the Rogers scanning system or it's even possible that once the phone was detected as updated, it was removed from their scanning system. I'm not sure.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Cyanogen has released Test2 of his 5.0.7 mod. I've updated my blog now to just point to the CyanogenMod.com page where you can download the update. This way you can check back to see if there are any further updates, instead of having to wait for me to update my blog post.

Here is the link to page.

Cyanogenmod-5 For Dream/magic - Would You Like A Pony? - V5.0.7-Test2 (05/03/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 58
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

You don't need to wipe for test2, but remember after you install the update to reinstall the 32A patch. If you don't you will be sitting on the Rogers logo for a while like I was :P


edit - I used the 32A patch for test1 and it worked fine, but there is a new version for test2 here:

http://briancrook.ca/android/cm-ports/bc-5.0.7-t2-ebi1_R2-signed.zip
zortoflaven is offline  
Last edited by zortoflaven; May 4th, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigDog View Post
Do you have a Magic or Magic+, it's possible that the Magic+ is not on the Rogers scanning system or it's even possible that once the phone was detected as updated, it was removed from their scanning system. I'm not sure.

gbd
I wish... I ran a 911 updated Magic for a while but two days after rooting I was cut again. Going back to a matching radio version solved the problem but this not only prevents running even a slightly different version it prevents using a different phone (like an N1 or anything else?) unless it too matches the expected version. The waiver is useless to me for this reason. I propose we do another pestering thread like we did for the initial update to eliminate the whole scanning process. I'd consider the waiver if it was based on the account and not an IMEI. But the whole thing is just wrong.

I'm using a new radio 2.1 but would prefer to try the new cyan 5. Too much trouble because of this silly scanning system. It has to stop.
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): HTC Magic, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigDog View Post
Do you have a Magic or Magic+, it's possible that the Magic+ is not on the Rogers scanning system or it's even possible that once the phone was detected as updated, it was removed from their scanning system. I'm not sure.

gbd
I've got the Magic+. I guess I'll give it a try later this afternoon. If I have to, I've got my Dream as backup if they do indeed cut off my data.
crossed.out is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have a pre-911 magic that I updated.. I installed cyanogen yesterday so we'll have to see if my data gets cut off
jscrimshaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 58
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

For anyone that wants to stick with the stock android keyboard, but wants the voice search button that the HTC_IME_mod had, try this:

[ROM] CyanogenMod-5 - Would you like a pony? (EXPERIMENTAL) [05/03 - v5.0.7-test2] - Page 100 - xda-developers

Works perfect for me. I found the HTC_IME_mod keyboard to be sluggish and wanted to go back to the stock keyboard (but didn't want to lose speech-to-text!).
zortoflaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zortoflaven For This Useful Post:
GreatBigDog (May 4th, 2010)
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortoflaven View Post
For anyone that wants to stick with the stock android keyboard, but wants the voice search button that the HTC_IME_mod had, try this:

[ROM] CyanogenMod-5 - Would you like a pony? (EXPERIMENTAL) [05/03 - v5.0.7-test2] - Page 100 - xda-developers

Works perfect for me. I found the HTC_IME_mod keyboard to be sluggish and wanted to go back to the stock keyboard (but didn't want to lose speech-to-text!).
Thanks for that link, I was contemplating loosing the HTC keyboard because of just this problem.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 58
 
Device(s): HTC Magic
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

My only gripe with it is a problem with all 2.1 keyboards. The comma key is what is replaced for the mic key. :/ You can long press the period to get a comma, or hit ?123 to type a comma. If you disable voice, the comma key will return, but speech-to-voice will be completely disabled. What we need is a way to get the comma key back and leave speech on to use the swipe right gesture to activate.
zortoflaven is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortoflaven View Post
My only gripe with it is a problem with all 2.1 keyboards. The comma key is what is replaced for the mic key. :/ You can long press the period to get a comma, or hit ?123 to type a comma. If you disable voice, the comma key will return, but speech-to-voice will be completely disabled. What we need is a way to get the comma key back and leave speech on to use the swipe right gesture to activate.
Beats the keyboard on the Xperia X10. They had to fit in 2 arrow keys on the bottome row because of no trackball. Really sucks, wasn't long changing it to swype.

I need to find a version of swype that I can use on my Magic. Anybody know where I can get one.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I agree that most of the 2.1 keyboards take a lot of getting used to. I'm about to try a different rom before settling on a rom to use until after official roms come out that are easier to package. voice input is sweet but we still need a keyboard that doesn't cause convulsions and agony.

(which reminds me that the stock rogers rom still hasn't had the french portrait/landscape bug fixed. pretty major bug in my opinion)
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I miss the compact qwerty that the original HTC_IME had because it is fat finger friendly.. But I like the speech to text.. Oh what a quandary
jscrimshaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
I miss the compact qwerty that the original HTC_IME had because it is fat finger friendly.. But I like the speech to text.. Oh what a quandary
Decisions, decisions, oh what shall we do. My god it's nice to have options again!!
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Well... It was fun while it lasted.. I lost my data less then 24 hours after rooting my magic and I still cant sign the waiver (invalid IMEI) I guess I'm going to have to wait for the "Official" 2.1 release from Rogers <sigh>
jscrimshaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Looks like I bricked my phone.. I am unable to update the firmware to the rogers rom.. I start the RUU (RUU_Sapphire_Rogers_WWE_3.05.631.7_R_release_sign ed_NoDriver)
it starts to update the radio gets to 36% then the screen on the magic goes black and sits there and the updater errors out with "Unknown Error"
I'm going to try some things and Ill let you all know how it turns out
jscrimshaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Sorry to hear about the cut off and possible brick. Can you go back to the original euro rom and go from there? I've heard of many bricks from flashing the rogers RUU on already rooted phones. You can then update the radio and use a rom that passes the evil test.

I'm using an eris based 2.1 rom that is decent and passes the sniff test. It has the good keyboard and voice/text functions.

For those that are using the cyanogenmod, how good is it? Good enough for daily use? I'm pretty happy with the eris rom and is finally stable and fast enough to use every day.
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Ok.. So its not bricked.. Just to let everyone know.. If you installed the Cyanogen rom and want to reinstall the newest rogers rom, make sure you have your gold card in your phone as without it, the update wont take
jscrimshaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
puleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 215
 
Device(s): Samsung Captivate / Google Nexus One
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
puleen
Default

In your face Rogers, the Magic is still alive and kicking. And way before the June date which Rogers had promised when the Magic would get 2.1. Well Rogers, it's time to catch up!
__________________
http://puleen.com
puleen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

So... Looking at my explanation of how I got the rogers ROM back on my phone, I thought I was a little vague.. So Here goes

Ill start at the beginning.
I noticed at around 7pm last night that I didn't have data and I have been unable to sign the waiver stating that my IMEI number is invalid (Noticed that GBD had a tweet about this being fixed.. Thanks GBD) Now.. I rely on data for my phone so I thought, maybe I should go back to the Rogers ROM and that when the fun started

I Downloaded the Rogers RUU file (RUU_Sapphire_Rogers_WWE_3.05.631.7_R_release_signe d_NoDriver)
and followed the steps. The HTC recovery screen popped up and everything was going fine until the radio started installing.. During that time, the screen on my Magic went blank (Aww crap.. I bricked it)

I let it sit for a couple of minutes but nothing happened except an error that popped up on my computer stating "Unknown Error"
The software asked me to disconnect my USB cable, remove the battery for 3 seconds, plug in the USB cable and click next.. The recovery restarted but again, when installing the radio... Blank screen
Now I'm really worried to say the least.. At least I am able to get to the HTC recovery screen (thats all that pops up when the phone is turned on)

So... I Downloaded the older Rogers ROM
(RUU_Sapphire_Rogers_WWE_2.17.631.2_release_signed _NoDriver)
and tried again... crap, same thing Blank screen on my magic when installing the radio and same error on my computer screen.. Now I'm freaking out

At this point, I might as well try everything so I downloaded the Euro ROM as listed on GBD's blog but as you may have guessed, same blank screen and same error from the software.. Now I ready to throw this phone against a wall and whimper in a corner but, I'm not giving up that easy.

I noticed that I didn't have my SD card in my phone (I took it out to backup my stuff before I started this whole mess and forgot to put it back in my phone and its the card I used as my gold card.. I put the card back in my phone and ran the older Rogers RUU.. To my surprise, my screen didn't go blank and the radio installed and now I have a working phone however, its the pre-911 ROM.. I launched the post-911 RUU.. and BOOM!!! Everything installed fine and now I have my phone back except I still don't have data.

called Rogers and told them that I lost my Data for some strange reason <Tee-hee> and they did a refresh for me and I was back in business

After doing all this, I think I'm going to wait till the official Rogers 2.1 ROM comes out.. I do have to say though, 2.1 runs really well on the magic
jscrimshaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
After doing all this, I think I'm going to wait till the official Rogers 2.1 ROM comes out.. I do have to say though, 2.1 runs really well on the magic
I was confident that you'd figure out that the goldcard was needed again even when going back to the R rom.

But if you're willing to stay with 1.5 for a while why not go with Cursorsense? At least you'll be rooted with a familiar yet better rom that doesn't loose data from the evil forces. My 12 year old daughter complained about lagginess with the official rom so I did the euro rom/root and then cursorsense. Looks almost the same but now she's noticed that it is faster and is still fast days later. She was happy to note that the R logos/apps were gone since they never worked anyway.

I was almost ready to go back to cursorsense while htc finishes 2.1 but the eris port is good enough with only a few bugs but good speed. Once you get used to the 1.6+ apps and root it is hard to go back.
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
Well... It was fun while it lasted.. I lost my data less then 24 hours after rooting my magic and I still cant sign the waiver (invalid IMEI) I guess I'm going to have to wait for the "Official" 2.1 release from Rogers <sigh>
they are supposed to have the waiver fixed somtime today.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
Ok.. So its not bricked.. Just to let everyone know.. If you installed the Cyanogen rom and want to reinstall the newest rogers rom, make sure you have your gold card in your phone as without it, the update wont take
Quite a sphincter tightening moment eh ;-)

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
jscrimshaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Rooted HTC Magic running CyanogenMod-5.0.7-DS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Quite a sphincter tightening moment eh ;-)
You can say that... puckered up pretty good if you asked me but all is well now

BTW GBD.. Could you add to your walk-through on your blog that the "Gold Card" is required to reinstall the Rogers ROM

Quote:
But if you're willing to stay with 1.5 for a while why not go with Cursorsense?
I was thinking about installing Cursorsense but after using 2.1, I kinda got hooked.. lol
I might give Cursor a shot tonight
jscrimshaw is offline  
Last edited by jscrimshaw; May 5th, 2010 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigDog View Post
they are supposed to have the waiver fixed somtime today.

gbd
noes.... we want the scanner and waiver to just go away. Do they cut jailbroken iphones or if you started life on a non android then bought one outside of the contract? I don't think so.
If you sign this waiver and later on pickup a different phone won't you get cut off again? How long do we have to be under this nonsense? I think that if the lawyers (may they rot) insist then why not scan only for the vulnerable versions and leave everyone else alone? everything other than the old non updated phones is assumed to be updated or is running a different phone. I don't know of any vulnerable roms except for the original rogers rom.
The cyan roms and every rom I've come across were 911 safe long before rogers even thought about the problem (they were told about it but didn't pay attention for a few months). meanwhile the rest of us have to stay on a specific version of radio to avoid the problem since waivers are not acceptable or useful.

Quote:
I was thinking about installing Cursorsense but after using 2.1, I kinda got hooked.. lol
I might give Cursor a shot tonight
if you're on 1.5 anyway then cursor is way better. but yeah, it would be hard for me to go back and give up the functionality.
vikingisson is offline  
Last edited by vikingisson; May 5th, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
You can say that... puckered up pretty good if you asked me but all is well now

BTW GBD.. Could you add to your walk-through on your blog that the "Gold Card" is required to reinstall the Rogers ROM



I was thinking about installing Cursorsense but after using 2.1, I kinda got hooked.. lol
I might give Cursor a shot tonight
I'll add it thanks.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post
noes.... we want the scanner and waiver to just go away. Do they cut jailbroken iphones or if you started life on a non android then bought one outside of the contract? I don't think so.
If you sign this waiver and later on pickup a different phone won't you get cut off again? How long do we have to be under this nonsense? I think that if the lawyers (may they rot) insist then why not scan only for the vulnerable versions and leave everyone else alone? everything other than the old non updated phones is assumed to be updated or is running a different phone. I don't know of any vulnerable roms except for the original rogers rom.
The cyan roms and every rom I've come across were 911 safe long before rogers even thought about the problem (they were told about it but didn't pay attention for a few months). meanwhile the rest of us have to stay on a specific version of radio to avoid the problem since waivers are not acceptable or useful.

if you're on 1.5 anyway then cursor is way better. but yeah, it would be hard for me to go back and give up the functionality.
I'd love for it too go away too but I doubt if Rogers will bend on it's requirement. The scanning will probally stop one day but probally not for a while. I'm not too conserned about it as my sim is in a Xperia X10 right now and I only had it in the Magic long enough to confirm that everyhing worked after the root so I didn't loose my Data.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 48
 
Device(s): HTC Magic: CM 5.0.8 HTC Dream: CM 5.0.8
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigDog View Post
Quite a sphincter tightening moment eh ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
You can say that... puckered up pretty good if you asked me but all is well now
I can confirm this! Had exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason. Took me about three days to think of flashing the Rogers ROM with the goldcard in!
CooL_SpoT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrimshaw View Post
Ok.. So I got 2.1 on my magic and its running great but when I try to do the Rogers Waiver, it says that my IMEI number is invalid.. can I call rogers and have them do it for me?
Ditto for me. Completed Dog's great step-by-step and got scroned by the 'wads at Rogers.

The rogers web site is such a POS. (fix the goddamn form for heaven's sake. ..I wasn't sure if I had completed the waiver back when they first screwed us over with the 911 "fix" I guess it never worked for me.

So... they've Cut my mobile data. I called tech support... guy (reading off script) had me repeat the form a couple times ... tried with a zero as last digit... said they "are escalating issue"

Still no fix on the form. Still no data 24+ hours later...
Whomever is responsible for the tech policies at rogers wireless are total dicks.

"...Hey let's f**k with them some more after the forced patch... we'll offer the poor saps an opt-out form that doesn't work, yeah and we'll keep scanning and killing mobile data..."

.............................

PS. Dog you are the man.
JDGfromMTL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGfromMTL View Post
Ditto for me. Completed Dog's great step-by-step and got scroned by the 'wads at Rogers.

The rogers web site is such a POS. (fix the goddamn form for heaven's sake. ..I wasn't sure if I had completed the waiver back when they first screwed us over with the 911 "fix" I guess it never worked for me.

So... they've Cut my mobile data. I called tech support... guy (reading off script) had me repeat the form a couple times ... tried with a zero as last digit... said they "are escalating issue"

Still no fix on the form. Still no data 24+ hours later...
Whomever is responsible for the tech policies at rogers wireless are total dicks.

"...Hey let's f**k with them some more after the forced patch... we'll offer the poor saps an opt-out form that doesn't work, yeah and we'll keep scanning and killing mobile data..."

.............................

PS. Dog you are the man.
Agreed, this is a huge PITA.

I even upgrade to the new radio and flashed CursorSense which should give no issues with their scanning, yet they somehow still picked it up and killed my data again overnight.

I'm so sick of this, considering cutting my losses and switching to Telus.
aberg83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg83 View Post
Agreed, this is a huge PITA.

I even upgrade to the new radio and flashed CursorSense which should give no issues with their scanning, yet they somehow still picked it up and killed my data again overnight.
whaaaa? I ran cursor for several months without being cut. You might have a new radio but not the precise version they are scanning for. I'm now on 2.1 but kept the same radio and so far is good.

Quote:
I'd love for it too go away too but I doubt if Rogers will bend on it's requirement. The scanning will probally stop one day but probally not for a while.
Did they say something regarding this? I've tried their feedback but didn't hear back which I suppose is better than the standard blurb that doesn't answer the question. I think it is time to put on the pressure. If I'm running my own phone I don't think they can cut me off. enough of this.
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #41 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post
whaaaa? I ran cursor for several months without being cut. You might have a new radio but not the precise version they are scanning for. I'm now on 2.1 but kept the same radio and so far is good.

Did they say something regarding this? I've tried their feedback but didn't hear back which I suppose is better than the standard blurb that doesn't answer the question. I think it is time to put on the pressure. If I'm running my own phone I don't think they can cut me off. enough of this.
Here are my numbers from fastboot:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A ENG S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.76.2007 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-6.35.10.18

As far as I know, this should fine for Rogers.

My problem is that I'm on a retention plan and with taxes in pay $77 for my plan which includes 1GB data, unlimited evenings/weekends at 5pm and unlimited long distance. To get the same plan fresh from Bell or Telus would be $40-$50 more per month. Not sure I'm willing to take that hit.

Wonder if a call into Rogers retention threatening to leave if they don't fix this will accomplish anything.
aberg83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg83 View Post
Here are my numbers from fastboot:

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A ENG S-OFF H
HBOOT-1.76.2007 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-6.35.10.18

As far as I know, this should fine for Rogers.
That's what I have so hard to say what's up with yours unless related to your two calls and a dumb script of theirs. Suggest calling again for the quick fix. i've lost data a few times since this started but never when I had that combo.

I suppose your package is a good deal as far as Canada goes. I think it is time for me to pull my business plan and family plan off this system, cost alone won't keep me happy. It still has to work......
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #43 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post
That's what I have so hard to say what's up with yours unless related to your two calls and a dumb script of theirs. Suggest calling again for the quick fix. i've lost data a few times since this started but never when I had that combo.

I suppose your package is a good deal as far as Canada goes. I think it is time for me to pull my business plan and family plan off this system, cost alone won't keep me happy. It still has to work......
I guess I will try to call again. It's probably not likely that Bell or Telus would come close to matching the plan I have with Rogers in order to win a new customer, eh?
aberg83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 74
 
Device(s): HTC Dream & Magic -Both running Cyanogenmod 2.1-test2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigDog View Post
Beats the keyboard on the Xperia X10. They had to fit in 2 arrow keys on the bottome row because of no trackball. Really sucks, wasn't long changing it to swype.

I need to find a version of swype that I can use on my Magic. Anybody know where I can get one.

gbd
I am using SlideIT on my Cyanogenmod 2.1-test2 rom and I must say that I LOVE IT! It takes a few minutes to get used to it at first but after that you can get quite fast. If you are not a touch typist I am not sure how you can use the SlideIT or Swyipe style keyboards though because your hand obscures the keyboard
bunhead is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bunhead For This Useful Post:
GreatBigDog (May 10th, 2010)
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

what u guys think the new rom 2.1 will be like and how much are we able to change
4runnerguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Coast
Posts: 856
 
Device(s): Batphone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerguy View Post
what u guys think the new rom 2.1 will be like and how much are we able to change
Weren't there some additional posts but seem to be missing now?
Anyway, who knows but it should be peachy fine for the masses unless major bugs creep in which should be fixable OTA. At least they had better fix the irritating French portrait/landscape bug in the current rom. I'm perplexed as to why that isn't fixed even now.

But it is all moot, some of us have no plans on getting locked down again. For sure the new rom will continue the trend so it doesn't matter what it will be like. What matters is what changes to the lockout system will come along. Will they change again and disallow anything that isn't running their branded phones and rom?
vikingisson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18
 
Device(s): HTC Magic, HTC Dream
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So has anyone managed to get Rogers to turn their data back on with this ROM?
crossed.out is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossed.out View Post
So has anyone managed to get Rogers to turn their data back on with this ROM?
Yes a couple of people have managed. They had to call tech support a couple of times to get the waiver working for them. Once they managed to get the waiver filled out all was good.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunhead View Post
I am using SlideIT on my Cyanogenmod 2.1-test2 rom and I must say that I LOVE IT! It takes a few minutes to get used to it at first but after that you can get quite fast. If you are not a touch typist I am not sure how you can use the SlideIT or Swyipe style keyboards though because your hand obscures the keyboard
Thanks Bunhead!!

I'll give SlideIT a try, since I can touch type I guess I'm good to go. Funny thing though.... Using Swype on an X10 I sometimes get lost as to where the keys are. When using a full keyboard, I don't need to look as my fingers just know where to go. Using one finger with Swype can (at times) get confusing.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
GreatBigDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Summerside, PE
Posts: 495
 
Device(s): HTC Dream HTC Magic+ SE Xperia X10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Ok guys, I MIGHT have some good news for you all, just waiting for a confirmation on this.

It may be that the updated E991 Radio for the Dream will work on the Magic. As soon as I can confirm this, I'll post back. If it works that would mean that we wouldn't have to worry about the waiver.

gbd
GreatBigDog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Magic > Magic - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.