Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3 > (MetroPCS/CDMA) Galaxy S3 - All Things Root

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By legmando33
  • 1 Post By ktchong
  • 1 Post By Fuzzy13
  • 1 Post By n4zty
  • 1 Post By 11jjonn

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
dan44762000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: swansea
Posts: 121
 
Device(s): samsung galaxy s3
Carrier: Giffgaff

Thanks: 15
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default Rom toolbox pro -ad blocker

have just installed this app , updated hosts file , turned "live ad detection" on and enabled "disable components" on angry birds .

rebooted phone - but still get ads .

this shouldn't happen right ?

i don't see what i am doing wrong .

any help please

dan

Advertisements
dan44762000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bakersfield, California
Gender: Male
Posts: 639
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Evo Design 4g, Samsung Transform Ultra, Motorola Droid
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 168
Thanked 364 Times in 202 Posts
Default Re: Rom toolbox pro -ad blocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan44762000 View Post
have just installed this app , updated hosts file , turned "live ad detection" on and enabled "disable components" on angry birds .

rebooted phone - but still get ads .

this shouldn't happen right ?

i don't see what i am doing wrong .

any help please

dan
What I do is turn on "Block Ads" and click to block "x" then reboot. Works great for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1362821315837.jpg (42.3 KB, 90 views)
BRAINZ2013 likes this.
legmando33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
airtioteclint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,909
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy S3, LG Connect, LG Esteem, Motorola Droid X, BlackBerry Tour
Carrier: MetroPCS, T-Mobile

Thanks: 615
Thanked 854 Times in 617 Posts
Default

It hasn't worked for me in months. It just hangs when attempting to download host files.

What I do is install ad away. Enable it, reboot. Go into romtoolbox and backup the hostfiles and uninstall ad away if you want. (i do because i don't like unnecessary stuff installed).
__________________
People who leave one star ratings in playstore because of something like not liking the icon should be beaten. And forever banned from using free apps.
airtioteclint is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 479
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 42
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Default Re: Rom toolbox pro -ad blocker

If I am already using AdAway, but I have ROM Toolbox Pro as well. Should I use the ad blocker feature in ROM Toolbox? The different ad blockers seen to replace the same set of host files. I wonder if they would interfere each other.
BRAINZ2013 likes this.
ktchong is offline  
Last edited by ktchong; March 11th, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
BRAINZ2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Park Ave., HELL
Posts: 5,571
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic gsm radio 4.4.4 Lenovo yoga tablet Dell pro windows tablet Samsung note 3 Samsung s5
Carrier: Metro/Tmobile/At&T/ Verizon

Thanks: 1,018
Thanked 818 Times in 718 Posts
Default Re: Rom toolbox pro -ad blocker

Yes you can i also do it cause the ad away has a scan process which tells u which one is good for you after u get the ads gone now just delete the ad away from the playstore and boom ad free.
BRAINZ2013 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Fuzzy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: A-T-L-A-N-T-A
Posts: 7,288
 
Device(s): Nexus 5. (White 16GB)
Carrier: $60 AT&T pre paid pushing 50-60mbps

Thanks: 1,540
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,433 Posts
Default

There is a "special" app out there that has a feature that removes ads from ALL apps. Due to forum policy I cant divulge the app name but it's very common and does a great job at removing ads.

Just pm me if you think your worthy.
n4zty likes this.
__________________
Suckaface
Fuzzy13 is offline  
Last edited by Fuzzy13; April 8th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
airtioteclint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,909
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy S3, LG Connect, LG Esteem, Motorola Droid X, BlackBerry Tour
Carrier: MetroPCS, T-Mobile

Thanks: 615
Thanked 854 Times in 617 Posts
Default

I still have the old apk with ad blocker btw. Anybody want send pm.

Ps you must be a purchaser or it won't pass registration for you.
airtioteclint is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airtioteclint For This Useful Post:
mike28 (April 5th, 2013)
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 579
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 145
Thanked 155 Times in 105 Posts
Default

They removed all the ad block apps from the market, i was reading. I found the ad block apk, put it in system apps i prefer ROM toolbox ad blocker.. instead of ad away cuz it blocks some sites i use..only app that actually stop ad's from apps is the one that came with pimp my ROM

Edit:Also find this useful post from XDA but since i was on touch wiz i couldn't use the shortcut

s everybody heard, Google Play removed all Ad blocking apps from the Play Store, so JRummy had to remove his AdBlocker app from the market, and remove the feature from the ROM Toolbox package.

But looking for a solution, I found that JRummy only removed the links to the AdBlocker from his app, the main parts are still hidden in the app, and are still easily accessible:
1- On the home screen, long-press to create a Shortcut to an activity (Create Shortcut, type Activity)
2- Select the ROM Toolbox app, and in it select "com.jrummy.apps.ad.blocker.activities.AdBlockerAct ivity"


3- There you are, the AdBlocker is back


(Hope Google doesn't read XDA, so that JRummy can leave the shortcut there)
kungfu411 is offline  
Last edited by kungfu411; April 5th, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n4zty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,302
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 Nexus 7 Unlocked and Rooted
Carrier: MetroPcs

Thanks: 670
Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,080 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy13 View Post
There is a "special" app out there that has a feature that removes ads from ALL apps. Due to forum policy I cant divulge the app name but it's very common and does a great job at removing ads.
well im sure it will take much Luck for peeps to find it
Fuzzy13 likes this.
__________________
Musician and Beat producer check out my beatz @ http://soundcloud.com/chosen-1-records
n4zty is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n4zty For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy13 (April 8th, 2013)
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 31
 
Device(s): Galaxy SIII
Carrier: 55/Month Metro PCS

Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can someone please PM me this "special" app?
Scooda954 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indpls and Tampa
Gender: Male
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Rooted SG3 (R530M), Rooted/Unlocked SG4 (M919)
Carrier: Metro PCS, T-Mobile

Thanks: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfu411 View Post
They removed all the ad block apps from the market, i was reading. I found the ad block apk, put it in system apps i prefer ROM toolbox ad blocker.. instead of ad away cuz it blocks some sites i use..only app that actually stop ad's from apps is the one that came with pimp my ROM

Edit:Also find this useful post from XDA but since i was on touch wiz i couldn't use the shortcut

s everybody heard, Google Play removed all Ad blocking apps from the Play Store, so JRummy had to remove his AdBlocker app from the market, and remove the feature from the ROM Toolbox package.

But looking for a solution, I found that JRummy only removed the links to the AdBlocker from his app, the main parts are still hidden in the app, and are still easily accessible:
1- On the home screen, long-press to create a Shortcut to an activity (Create Shortcut, type Activity)
2- Select the ROM Toolbox app, and in it select "com.jrummy.apps.ad.blocker.activities.AdBlockerAct ivity"


3- There you are, the AdBlocker is back


(Hope Google doesn't read XDA, so that JRummy can leave the shortcut there)
I'm on JB 4.1.2, Metropolis 1.2 ROM. Long-pressing the HomeScreen does nothing.
Do I need to resort to Stock JB, then modify ToolboxPro & save to external -- then come back to 1.2?

Or.......

Any thoughts about: Mother of All AD-........??
11jjonn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 579
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 145
Thanked 155 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jjonn View Post
I'm on JB 4.1.2, Metropolis 1.2 ROM. Long-pressing the HomeScreen does nothing.
Do I need to resort to Stock JB, then modify ToolboxPro & save to external -- then come back to 1.2?

Or.......

Any thoughts about: Mother of All AD-........??
No need to go through all that. Here's the link to the apk
http://db.tt/rCjB5e5R :-)
kungfu411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kungfu411 For This Useful Post:
11jjonn (April 6th, 2013), kbshowtyme (April 25th, 2013)
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Indpls and Tampa
Gender: Male
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Rooted SG3 (R530M), Rooted/Unlocked SG4 (M919)
Carrier: Metro PCS, T-Mobile

Thanks: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Downloaded, installed, running ---- tx for sharing
kungfu411 likes this.
11jjonn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 579
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 145
Thanked 155 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jjonn View Post
Downloaded, installed, running ---- tx for sharing
koo..no problem-o
kungfu411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
imSHAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 401
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (CM10.1) LG Connect 4G (Rom #2 1.6)
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 34
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Hmmmm, I still use adaway
yet i feel as if im making a terrible mistake using it.

Any advantages of using this one other than the one Im using now
?
imSHAD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 579
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 145
Thanked 155 Times in 105 Posts
Default

with ad away it blocks some websites that i use like comicbookmovie.com it blocks the videos ..with romtoolbox it blocks the unnecessary ads but i can still view my videos.. up to you
kungfu411 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S3 > (MetroPCS/CDMA) Galaxy S3 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.