Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4 > (MetroPCS) Galaxy S4 - All Things Root

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ARocker
  • 3 Post By Rickinfl
  • 1 Post By nuttmeg

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default 4.3 - Root - ROMS - Security

Well I made the Transition over to the S4 from the S3 But WOW do I have some questions! I'll break them down and explain the Issues I'm having.

NOTE: I'm on 4.3

1. I got the phone rooted, I flashed everything with Odin (root,SuperSU). The root and SuperSU took, but I couldn't flash TWRP. I actually had to download GooManager to install TWRP. I'm assuming this will work? I did tell Goo to boot into recover and it did. But seems like I had to go about it all the wrong way.

2. SuperSU is installed, but there is a major WAR going on in my phone and it has to do with Security and SuperSU. Seems Samsung has an security feature and let me tell you.... this think keeps blocking SuperSU and locks the phone up. So my Question I'm asking here is... Is there a way to disable it? remove it since I have root (But I have to do it fast before it locks the phone) I can disable SuperSU and the phone runs fine, but doesn't have Root Access anymore.

3. ROMS I notice there are no ROMS for the Metro S4 and I can understand that it's new. I know I'm on the T-Mobile network now and see the T-Mobile forums rocking with 4.3 ROMS. So my question here is... Can we use T-Mobile ROMS? I Could care less if it booted and said T-Mobile. LOL Long as it works.

Thanks,
Rick

Advertisements
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,219
 
Device(s): (MetroPCS) Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 714
Thanked 748 Times in 437 Posts
arakaflakaflame@gmail.com
Default

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
1. I got the phone rooted, I flashed everything with Odin (root,SuperSU). The root and SuperSU took, but I couldn't flash TWRP. I actually had to download GooManager to install TWRP. I'm assuming this will work? I did tell Goo to boot into recover and it did. But seems like I had to go about it all the wrong way.
Not sure why you couldnt flash TWRP with odin. Yours is the first issue I've read about that. Goo is a great way to install TWRP too and the easiest and theres nothing wrong with it. Not sure what you mean by "go about it all the wrong way".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
2. SuperSU is installed, but there is a major WAR going on in my phone and it has to do with Security and SuperSU. Seems Samsung has an security feature and let me tell you.... this think keeps blocking SuperSU and locks the phone up. So my Question I'm asking here is... Is there a way to disable it? remove it since I have root (But I have to do it fast before it locks the phone) I can disable SuperSU and the phone runs fine, but doesn't have Root Access anymore.
Lookout security is the name of the app causing the issue right? The one with the shield. Remove it with a root explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
3. ROMS I notice there are no ROMS for the Metro S4 and I can understand that it's new. I know I'm on the T-Mobile network now and see the T-Mobile forums rocking with 4.3 ROMS. So my question here is... Can we use T-Mobile ROMS? I Could care less if it booted and said T-Mobile. LOL Long as it works.
Check the [Unofficial] MetroPCS S4 Root Information Thread for roms. You can flash most tmobile roms and thats why we dont have many of our own. There's not much reason to develop for ours when the Tmobile devs have done it for us. We do have a couple 4.2 roms and a 4.3 rom is in the works.

Just about everything you needed to know can be found in the forum or by reading the all things root guide.
nuttmeg likes this.
ARocker is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ARocker For This Useful Post:
nuttmeg (January 2nd, 2014)
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The Security thing I've seen on the other post is called KNOX from what I'm understanding. Not sure if it's just in 4.3.

I'm happy with the ROM just want to find one Detoxed. I've ran or have used just about every flavor or ROMS out there. LOL Just think I'll stay stock (Yeah Right) for as long as I can. But like I said I'm trying to find a Detoxed stock rom 4.3.

Thanks for all the info

Rick
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,219
 
Device(s): (MetroPCS) Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 714
Thanked 748 Times in 437 Posts
arakaflakaflame@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
The Security thing I've seen on the other post is called KNOX from what I'm understanding. Not sure if it's just in 4.3.
I'm happy with the ROM just want to find one Detoxed. I've ran or have used just about every flavor or ROMS out there. LOL Just think I'll stay stock (Yeah Right) for as long as I can. But like I said I'm trying to find a Detoxed stock rom 4.3.
The security thing is only in 4.3 rick. There's both KNOX and Lookout Security I understand.

Check the [Unofficial] MetroPCS S4 Root Information Thread for deodexed stock 4.3 Tmobile roms that have the KNOX removed and other important info you should look over. I'm working on one based on our firmware (though I think I may have to start over).

Wait, Detoxed? Is that something else or do you mean deodexed?
ARocker is offline  
Last edited by ARocker; January 1st, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

deodexed sorry auto correct has a mind of it's own.
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Maybe I'll wait until you release a deodexed stock ROM.

Again Thanks for all the info and hard work you do for us.

Rick
danyvw, ARocker and Rooqy like this.
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rickinfl For This Useful Post:
ARocker (January 1st, 2014)
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nuttmeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 7,330
 
Device(s): (SGS3)(Evo 3D)(LG Esteem)(Kindle Fire CM10)(Note 2)(LG L9)(LG F3)(Galaxy Note 3)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,800
Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,730 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to nuttmeg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARocker View Post
Wait, Detoxed? Is that something else or do you mean deodexed?
You owe me a Coca Cola...
ARocker likes this.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Join our Android Facebook Page Droidz DNA
Sign up for @copyapp with this link, and we'll both get 5 GB of free cloud storage in addition to the usual 15 GB: https://copy.com?r=bMXFAm
nuttmeg is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nuttmeg For This Useful Post:
ARocker (January 3rd, 2014)
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have a couple of questions

1st can I flash this ROM onto my Metro Phone?

★[ROM] [STOCK] M919UVUEMK2 | 4.3 | Deodexed | CIQ Free | KNOX Free | 12.11.2013 ☆ - xda-developers


2nd I'm seeing Radio's again. I haven't seen anything about flashing Radio's since way back when I was on AT&T running HTC phones. Is this something we need to watch out for? If so.... Can our Metro Phones run T-Mobile Radio's? Basically we are T-Mobile right?

I'm just trying to figure out what we (MetroPCS) users can and can't do with T-Mobile ROMS.

*****I really think we need a Sticky in here explaining what we can and can't do with T-Mobile Stuff.*****

I really wish XDA didn't hate MetroPCS so bad! lol It's so hard to get info out of those guys once they find out you're on MetroPCS.


Thanks,
Rick
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,219
 
Device(s): (MetroPCS) Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 714
Thanked 748 Times in 437 Posts
arakaflakaflame@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
I have a couple of questions
1st can I flash this ROM onto my Metro Phone?
★[ROM] [STOCK] M919UVUEMK2 | 4.3 | Deodexed | CIQ Free | KNOX Free | 12.11.2013 ☆ - xda-developers
While you should be able to flash any Tmobile rom, sometimes, even though other users have reported success, for some reason it wont work properly on all of our phones. There's not much to be done about that when it happens.

The rom you're interested is in listed in the unofficial all things root guide in our forum. I've installed it on my phone once before, so it should work for yours too. There are a bunch of roms in the UATR guide that should flash and run well. Check them out. The rom list takes some of the trial and error out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
2nd I'm seeing Radio's again. I haven't seen anything about flashing Radio's since way back when I was on AT&T running HTC phones. Is this something we need to watch out for? If so.... Can our Metro Phones run T-Mobile Radio's? Basically we are T-Mobile right?
I'm just trying to figure out what we (MetroPCS) users can and can't do with T-Mobile ROMS.
*****I really think we need a Sticky in here explaining what we can and can't do with T-Mobile Stuff.*****
I really wish XDA didn't hate MetroPCS so bad! lol It's so hard to get info out of those guys once they find out you're on MetroPCS.
Yea, ignore the radios. They are not for you. Just flash the roms. Most roms (if not all) dont come with the radios anyway.

The [Unofficial] MetroPCS S4 Root Information Thread is already sticky and has a majority of the necessary info you may need. Any other questions can be asked.

XDA doesn't hate MetroPCS, they just look down on us as if we were bugs in the dirt
I'm actually glad they have an aversion to all plans prepaid, I like our little forum better. Ask a question and you're not waiting forever for someone to help. They can keep XDA. Its like Fifty told me, "go 'head, switch the style up and if they hate, then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up"

Ya herd?
ARocker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Ok Thanks Again!

Yes I totally agree with you. I used XDA a lot back in the day but found this Forum and never went back. Much more friendly in here also response time is much better, Members take the time to answer your questions and don't bash you because you're a noob. XDA you have to do a lot of digging to find answers and they you can't get a straight answer.

Why don't they combine the Metro and T-Mobile Galaxy S4 forums here?

Also running the T-Mobile ROM will the Build.Prop affect it in anyway on our Phone?
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,219
 
Device(s): (MetroPCS) Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 714
Thanked 748 Times in 437 Posts
arakaflakaflame@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
Why don't they combine the Metro and T-Mobile Galaxy S4 forums here?

Also running the T-Mobile ROM will the Build.Prop affect it in anyway on our Phone?
There was talk of merging the threads when I first made the switch to the MetroS4...but it didn't happen. Just as well I say.

Build prop shouldn't matter.
ARocker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

1 more question... I know I know I keep saying that but I'm trying to learn. lol

I see Shabby said something about Upgrading to 4.3 is bad. My phone is on 4.3. But I've got it rooted and TWRP installed. What issues am I going to have? I know it was a fight rooting with KNOX raising hell and blocking everything even SuperSU.

I'm trying to figure out is it a bad thing to be on 4.3? What can and can't I do?
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,219
 
Device(s): (MetroPCS) Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 714
Thanked 748 Times in 437 Posts
arakaflakaflame@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
I see Shabby said something about Upgrading to 4.3 is bad. My phone is on 4.3. But I've got it rooted and TWRP installed. What issues am I going to have? I know it was a fight rooting with KNOX raising hell and blocking everything even SuperSU. I'm trying to figure out is it a bad thing to be on 4.3? What can and can't I do?
Now that youre on 4.3, you have the new 4.3 bootloader. If you root or flash with odin while on the 4.3 bootloader it will show that you modified the phone and you wont be able to return or repair the device under warranty if you need to. Theres no way to go back to the 4.2 bootloader. There is no Triangle Away for 4.3 to remove the traces of the modified device. You can check to see if the KNOX bootloader security has been tripped by booting into download mode and looking for the KNOX Warranty Void 0x0 line..If it says 0x1, your warranty is void.

Heres a site that explains it further, its good reading, check it out...

All you wanted to know about KNOX Void Warranty 0x1
ARocker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Rickinfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooksville Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Another Question... I'm flashed the T-Mobile Stock ROM and would that affect my Data and Wifi? Seems I have a harder time connecting. Right now I have 4 bars and 4G is on, but I can't browse the internet or do anything including email. Maybe the Modem? or it's using T-Mobile settings instead of Metro? Not sure where to even start looking

Thanks,
Rick
Rickinfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ARocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,219
 
Device(s): (MetroPCS) Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 714
Thanked 748 Times in 437 Posts
arakaflakaflame@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinfl View Post
Another Question... I'm flashed the T-Mobile Stock ROM and would that affect my Data and Wifi? Seems I have a harder time connecting. Right now I have 4 bars and 4G is on, but I can't browse the internet or do anything including email. Maybe the Modem? or it's using T-Mobile settings instead of Metro? Not sure where to even start looking
It shouldn't effect data or WiFi but that doesn't mean it cant. I'm not sure what to tell you about your Wifi issue but for 4G, you can check out the UATRG thread and compare what our stock apn settings should be to what you have now. That may help. Though I have to tell you, I have yet to flash a true stock Tmobile rom that needed to be messed with in order to get data to work. They usually work 100% or not at all. Also, dont be shy about posting in the roms thread. They may be able to help too.

Be aware that just because the rom is in the Tmobile section doesn't mean its definitely based off of the Tmobile firmware. They have roms from other devices there as well. These have been ported to work on the Tmobile S4 and while they work on their phone, it may not for ours.

There are a few stock Tmobile roms available, if one isn't working properly for you, simply try another.

Sorry i cant give you anything more concrete. Good luck.
ARocker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4 > (MetroPCS) Galaxy S4 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.