Go Back   Android Forums > Android Wear Devices > Moto 360

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sfbloodbrother
  • 1 Post By superflybribri
  • 1 Post By Lorak

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

bbbloodbrothercccx
Default Moto 360 for fitness?

I have been trying to use technology to get into better shape, and I know that the Moto 360 is not advertised as a fitness device but how do you think that this will perform as a fitness device with apps?

I know there's the Gear Fit, but I would never wear something that ugly and its ratings are not good. Then again its tizan.

I wouldn't be looking for something that checks my heart rate, but can possibly connect to external accessories such as my phone, probably a more accurate heart rate monitor.
Gt Galaxe sll likes this.

Advertisements
Please consider joining our IBM World Community Grid team here on Phandroid. Use your Android powered Phone/Tablet to research into finding cures to humanities toughest problems like AIDS, Clean Water, and Green energy! To learn more, please visit: http://androidforums.com/computers/818420-lets-cure-cancer-our-phones.html
sponsored links
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,946 Posts

I haven't used it in a while, but if you are looking for something to use with your phone, I bought a heart rate monitor that straps around your chest and there is a 3.5mm dongle that connects to ur phone. When I was using it more often, it worked great. It's made by bowflex
Old April 30th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

There is no need of tech to get into better shape. If you are looking for accuracy, you need to go with gps and heart rate monitor. Garmin devices could not be better for that purpose.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Two Nexus 7's, Note 10.1, 4 Desktops, HP Chromebook 11, Moto g
Carrier: Boost Mobile

bbbloodbrothercccx

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnamedny View Post
There is no need of tech to get into better shape. If you are looking for accuracy, you need to go with gps and heart rate monitor. Garmin devices could not be better for that purpose.
Garmin makes heart rate monitors?
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Moto X, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbloodbrother View Post
Garmin makes heart rate monitors?
At the least, for use with their GPS watches, yes. They use the ANT+ standard to connect to the watch, if memory serves.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplevy View Post
At the least, for use with their GPS watches, yes. They use the ANT+ standard to connect to the watch, if memory serves.
How much does the combination cost though?
Old May 6th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Moto X, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)

$230 direct from Garmin, I have this very unit, without the red stripe (mine is grey) and no HRM. I see your point, but when you consider the Smartwatch is really a "dumb-terminal" for your phone, for the most part. My point is that some of the "sensors" people are looking for (maybe in other forums) are ones that are already in your phone and can be displayed on the watch with the apps that almost assuredly are coming. The one that sticks in my mind is a GPS sensor - why add bulk, cost, complexity if the watch is communicating with a device that already HAS that sensor? Also, I'm not sure I'd want to wear a watch all the time that exerts the pressure needed for an accurate pulse reading, not sure you can get that with a loose-fitting device.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the way the Moto 360 looks, and if I could justify it I absolutely would have one on my wrist shortly after release.
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplevy View Post
$230 direct from Garmin, I have this very unit, without the red stripe (mine is grey) and no HRM. I see your point, but when you consider the Smartwatch is really a "dumb-terminal" for your phone, for the most part. My point is that some of the "sensors" people are looking for (maybe in other forums) are ones that are already in your phone and can be displayed on the watch with the apps that almost assuredly are coming. The one that sticks in my mind is a GPS sensor - why add bulk, cost, complexity if the watch is communicating with a device that already HAS that sensor? Also, I'm not sure I'd want to wear a watch all the time that exerts the pressure needed for an accurate pulse reading, not sure you can get that with a loose-fitting device.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the way the Moto 360 looks, and if I could justify it I absolutely would have one on my wrist shortly after release.
I wasn't necessarily trying to make a point, actually. It was more geared towards a comparison for people to make a logical choice for their own needs. Without your posting the Garmin amount, it's more difficult to quantify.
Old June 29th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto360, LG Nexus 5, Asus Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid 3, Motorola Xoom, Motorola D
Carrier: AT&T

I think that a heart rate monitor might make sense for some devices but looking at how upscale the Moto 360 looks especially with the metal band, I do not think that it is something that I would want to wear when I am running or working out.
exninja likes this.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, ASUS Transformer TF101, LG Venice, ZTE Warp
Carrier: T-Mobile, former Boost/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflybribri View Post
I think that a heart rate monitor might make sense for some devices but looking at how upscale the Moto 360 looks especially with the metal band, I do not think that it is something that I would want to wear when I am running or working out.
Agreed. If it's anything like my last motorola device it'll stay as far away from sweat as possible. I let a drop of sweat fall on my RAZR and the keyboard went nutso.

It's too bad, because it looks like it'd be really handy on a bike ride. It'd be nice to see on my watch if text is worth pulling my phone out for.
sponsored links
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): EVO,S3,S4,Note3,GFlex,M8,S5, LGG3
Carrier: AT&T

Well to qualify for Android wear with Google it has to have some water and dust resistance. I think like 1 meter. Basically rain proof, sweat proof at least.
exninja likes this.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 5, Nokia Lumia 520, iPad Air, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previous
Carrier: T-Mobile

Any watch that doesn't have some level of sweat resistance is going to be worthless.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Wear Devices > Moto 360