Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Atrix 2

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default New User question -Notifications and reminders

Had this not quite a week, and not a very techy user, and barely understadn how to use gmail on my desk top.

Is there a way to turn off the sound for email notifications but leave it on for the calendar reminders? I was able to turn off the Yahoo email notification through yahoo itself (well, someone else helped me with that) , but my other 2 email accounts (Google, and through my phone company ) still ring. I want the calendar to make noise (that's what a reminder is, after all ) -- but do not want the constant stream of email rings. So far, everything I try is all or nothing (notwithstanding what the setting menu in the calendar says).

I also tried turning the email notifications to Fetch , but it only applied that function to my phone company linked account , not the Google one. Had this ability on BB bold and miss it. Thanks for any help -

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
U Just Luv My OPPOstyle

Device(s): 1+1 | OPPO N1 | SAMSUNG GEAR 2/FIT | LG G WATCH | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennolly View Post
Had this not quite a week, and not a very techy user, and barely understadn how to use gmail on my desk top.

Is there a way to turn off the sound for email notifications but leave it on for the calendar reminders? I was able to turn off the Yahoo email notification through yahoo itself (well, someone else helped me with that) , but my other 2 email accounts (Google, and through my phone company ) still ring. I want the calendar to make noise (that's what a reminder is, after all ) -- but do not want the constant stream of email rings. So far, everything I try is all or nothing (notwithstanding what the setting menu in the calendar says).

I also tried turning the email notifications to Fetch , but it only applied that function to my phone company linked account , not the Google one. Had this ability on BB bold and miss it. Thanks for any help -

WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS, MENNOLLY!

Each of these apps have their own settings for notifications.

If you go to the email app, press MENU>SETTINGS.
From there, you should be able to navigate to the notification settings for e-mail.

Repeat this for the calendar application.

Keep us posted & feel free to ask questions as needed.

Again, WELCOME to ANDROID FORUMS!
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Notifcations and reminders

Thanks but that doesn't work for multiple email accounts -- only the default email -- I had already tried that. The default email is NOT gmail and I don't want it to be. Unlike the Yahoo app, Gmail does not appear to have any "silent" option for the notifications. I can remove it from the notification bar, which does silence it (without silencing the calendar), but then I have to check it separately.
And if you turn off the notification sound through the main home screen settings, it turns off the calendar sound.

This is a pretty basic request/need for working folks with complex lives. It was simple on my BB -- Needs to be addressed/fixed.

If you ahve any other ideas, please share.
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
U Just Luv My OPPOstyle

Device(s): 1+1 | OPPO N1 | SAMSUNG GEAR 2/FIT | LG G WATCH | CHROMECAST
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennolly View Post
Thanks but that doesn't work for multiple email accounts -- only the default email -- I had already tried that. The default email is NOT gmail and I don't want it to be. Unlike the Yahoo app, Gmail does not appear to have any "silent" option for the notifications. I can remove it from the notification bar, which does silence it (without silencing the calendar), but then I have to check it separately.
And if you turn off the notification sound through the main home screen settings, it turns off the calendar sound.

This is a pretty basic request/need for working folks with complex lives. It was simple on my BB -- Needs to be addressed/fixed.

If you ahve any other ideas, please share.
It sounds like you would be better served w/one of the many e-mail apps available in the GOOGLE PLAY STORE that offer a bit more customization & flexibility.

I myself use the G-MAIL app,YAHOO MAIL app,& the generic stock e-mail app for my OUTLOOK webmail account,although I'm looking at using something other than the stock app for OUTLOOK.

Motorola ATRIX 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola ATRIX 2 is AT&T's followup to their original ATRIX 4G. It won't differ much in terms of specs, but this would bring Ma Bell up to speed with more recent offerings from Sprint and Verizon in the Photon 4G and the DROID Bioni... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Atrix 2