Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Atrix 4G

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default internet question

when you buy the laptop dock will the internet only work with wifi or the regular att 3g will work? because I have the unlimited iphone data plan. thank you and im sorry if its a noob quesion

Advertisements
Enrodreher is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrodreher View Post
when you buy the laptop dock will the internet only work with wifi or the regular att 3g will work? because I have the unlimited iphone data plan. thank you and im sorry if its a noob quesion
It will work on WiFi and 3G/4G data
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

so i'll be good to go with my iphone data plan right? i just dont wanna get it if its wifi only. thank you
Enrodreher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrodreher View Post
so i'll be good to go with my iphone data plan right? i just dont wanna get it if its wifi only. thank you
Yes you will be good to go. Everything is running from the phone so whatever data your using at the time will be the same once connected to the laptop dock
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 115
 
Device(s): Atrix, Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrodreher View Post
so i'll be good to go with my iphone data plan right? i just dont wanna get it if its wifi only. thank you
You will have a different rate plan if you get the Atrix(iPhone has a different data package), but you will be using your data plan with AT&T to connect when there is no WIFI.
binaryhellstorm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhellstorm View Post
You will have a different rate plan if you get the Atrix(iPhone has a different data package), but you will be using your data plan with AT&T to connect when there is no WIFI.
No he will be grandfathered in. The Atrix plans won't be different.
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

hopefully i will be granfathered or that will suck. thank you guys
Enrodreher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lsutigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 507
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbuc View Post
No he will be grandfathered in. The Atrix plans won't be different.
He just means that the OP won't have the iPhone specific plan but a smartphone plan that covers other smartphones. It'll still be unlimited.
lsutigers03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lsutigers03 For This Useful Post:
binaryhellstorm (January 31st, 2011)
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 115
 
Device(s): Atrix, Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers03 View Post
He just means that the OP won't have the iPhone specific plan but a smartphone plan that covers other smartphones. It'll still be unlimited.
Sorry yes that is what I meant, apologies if that wasn't clear.
binaryhellstorm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers03 View Post
He just means that the OP won't have the iPhone specific plan but a smartphone plan that covers other smartphones. It'll still be unlimited.
Well he said that he would have a different rate plan which is not true. The same data plan used for the iPhone is used for other Android and Windows Phone 7 phones. If you bought the Atrix out right and put in your sim card your rate plan will not change.
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 115
 
Device(s): Atrix, Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Ok, I may be wrong then. I was under the impression that AT&T had a completely different package you had to get when you had an iPhone.
binaryhellstorm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhellstorm View Post
Ok, I may be wrong then. I was under the impression that AT&T had a completely different package you had to get when you had an iPhone.
Nope its all the same.
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Just make sure you tell them to get your same data plan if your upgrading. They should do this but make sure they do it.
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

thank you guys
Enrodreher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lsutigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 507
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 15
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbuc View Post
Well he said that he would have a different rate plan which is not true. The same data plan used for the iPhone is used for other Android and Windows Phone 7 phones. If you bought the Atrix out right and put in your sim card your rate plan will not change.
Went I went from the iPhone to the Captivate back to the iPhone there were prorated charges for each change. On my bill it shows two different data plans for the iPhone and the Captivate. Both are the same in everything except the name.
lsutigers03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers03 View Post
Went I went from the iPhone to the Captivate back to the iPhone there were prorated charges for each change. On my bill it shows two different data plans for the iPhone and the Captivate. Both are the same in everything except the name.
Yea the naming is just for there internal use but the data plans are the same.
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

awesome now one last question i live in dallas, is there hspa here or whatever is called. will i be able to see on the atrix whether is 3g os hspa? i have an iphone 3gs now and it runs on 3g, will the same be for the atrix or do i need to call them or something? thank you
Enrodreher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrodreher View Post
awesome now one last question i live in dallas, is there hspa here or whatever is called. will i be able to see on the atrix whether is 3g os hspa? i have an iphone 3gs now and it runs on 3g, will the same be for the atrix or do i need to call them or something? thank you
HSPA+ will be available most everywhere where there is 3G but I would check with AT&T to be sure. Dallas is a major city so I don't see why it wouldn't. You will see an H+ in the status bar when connected to HSPA+ the same as when you see 3G now.
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

thank you atl and im guessing is just something automatically right? change no settings or anything?
Enrodreher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrodreher View Post
thank you atl and im guessing is just something automatically right? change no settings or anything?
Yes it will be, as long as your in an HSPA+ coverage area you'll get it
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrodreher View Post
thank you atl and im guessing is just something automatically right? change no settings or anything?

No it will just be there its already there with my rom'd captivate im.picking it up.
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 89
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

ok thanks to all of you
Enrodreher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrodreher View Post
ok thanks to all of you

Welcome
:-)
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): iPhone 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Hello everyone, I have been going through all the forums for some time but just created an account
My question is when docked to the laptop dock will that eat your data or will you have to purchase a feathering plan? I ask since I have never seen anything on this.
Willy Willy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
atlbuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 21
Thanked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Willy View Post
Hello everyone, I have been going through all the forums for some time but just created an account
My question is when docked to the laptop dock will that eat your data or will you have to purchase a feathering plan? I ask since I have never seen anything on this.
Everything is run from the Atrix so no additional plan is needed when docked. The laptop dock is just a shell.
atlbuc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): iPhone 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I understand that but no one thinks AT&T will try and get there paws on that extra data use?
Willy Willy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,012
 
Device(s): AT&T White NEXUS S!!!!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 168
Thanked 222 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Willy View Post
I understand that but no one thinks AT&T will try and get there paws on that extra data use?

How would they justify it. Your basically adding a big screen to your phone its not like your running a whole laptop off of your data
AndreaCristiano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): iPhone 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

That's what I have been thinking, but when you teather a laptop or netbook all you do is surf the web and sent emails so how do they justify that... It's just the Internet. That's the only thing that worries. If they don't charge sweet!!!! I can't wait.
Willy Willy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Atrix 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Atrix 4G brings several firsts to AT&T's lineup, among them a dual-core CPU in the form of NVIDIA's Tegra 2 platform. The CPU is clocked at 1GHz per core, providing enough zip to match the HSPA+ connectivity and 4G download... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Atrix 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.