Again talking about Moto Defy/Android bugs, I wanna talk a little now about the well-known Picasa Share error message: "failed to retrieve account information".
For my surprise (and for any other Defy user) the native Picasa image and video share is not working in Android 2.1. Instead of uploading, it returns the above error message and it is taken as a bug (already reported by many people in Google Android forum).
Several possible workaround were suggested, but none worked out (such as resetting to factory default settings and etc.). The only ways to possibly upload a picture to Picasa from Moto Defy were:
* By using the Motorola Blur service (which allows to share images on Picasa, Facebook...)
* By using the "quick upload"
* Or by using a 3rd party app (such as PiQture), with basically the same function as Moto Blur image sharing.
HOWEVER, for my pleasure and for many others', now it is working!
What I did:
* Reset the Moto Defy to the factory defaults (Privacy menu in Settings)
* I SKIPPED the Moto Blur account setup (press the "Dial" button on the bottom-left corner of the phone to show the menu and then select SKIP CONFIGURATION). Then I was taken to the Home screen.
* In the "Accounts" option of the Apps menu, simply I added my Google account: firstname.lastname@example.org
and my password. Still without adding the Blur account...
* Then I accessed the Gallery, selected a random pic and chose SHARE. In the Share popup I selected 'Picasa' and, on the next screen, I typed in a Caption for the picture, the Google user account (only one available) and the Picasa album (for the first time all my existing Picasa albums were present on the list); I just picked any album and selected UPLOAD.
The Image Gallery then shown a new message (somtehing like "check status bar to see the status of the upload"). Few seconds later, the upload was successfully completed and the picture now is available in my Picasa web albums!!!
I REALLY hope this new tip can help others having the same damn issue!!!