Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 2

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default I HATE My Droid 2, but I Can't Live Without It!

First of all /scream . . .(imagine a scream of rage). . .

OK, now I've had this thing since march and am TOTALLY addicted to what this phone does for me FOR FREE! BUT, just keeping it from locking up is a constant battle with task kille and autostart apps, and YES i have removed everything I can live without that I CAN remove but there are a half dozen apps that CAME on the phone that start RANDOMLY that I have NEVER even opened and don't care to ever use, they just take up my RAM!!!!!

JUST as annoying is that this thing has a mind TOTALLY of it's own. When I type and it inserts random whole words, moves my cursor and punctuation, and backspaces in the wrong direction!! Yes, I have ALL of the autocorrect stuff off. It used to still highlight the mispelled words, and I love thatm but the update broke that.

My friends all have droids and don't have ANY complaints, 2 of them are Rooted/hacked, and my wife has a $250 Offbrand android tablet with the same processor specs and 2x the RAM with 0matching [sic inserted word] problems ( and this thing was 500!). I SWEAR I'm ready to tell VZW to shove this phone and their contract and just lug that tablet around and find wifi to make all of my calls because I KNOW it would be less of a PITA!!

SO, is Verizon just the new AOL and they have FUBARd my operating system on what SHOULD be a great product?

HALP!

sponsored links
Old September 18th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid 2 w/ many roms (retired), LG Ally w/ many roms (retired), Droid Razr Maxx w/ modified stock

Yes

There is a fix to stop it from entering whole words. In settings > language and keyboard
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I suppose that was next word suggestuin? I have everything in that sectio deselected except show suggestions, voice to text, and highly mispelled words and it doesn't highlight mispelled words or give me a record voice option..
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Maybe just a bad Droid2

I've been a verizon customer for quite some time. Had a droid1, and never really had any issues. I can't say that it never locked up in the 2 years I had it, but it certainly wasn't often.

Now I have a Droid3 (arguably the most awesome phone on the planet!)
I've had it for a couple of months now, and it hasn't locked up on me yet.

My husband (still with his Droid1) will occasionally have more problems, but I am personally convinced that it is because he will NEVER reboot the thing. When he tells me he is having a problem, I ask him... when was the last time you shut it off/turned it back on??? usually the answer is over a week...

I change batteries usually once a day or every other day, and swap them out since I have an external battery charger, so my phone is shut down/restarted every day or at the very least every other day.

I have a task-killer app, but I don't use it, and don't have it set to "auto-kill" anything.

The Droid2 was supposed to be a really awesome phone... and for Verizon? If you get a bad tech support rep; hang up (preferably while you are in the middle of a sentence so as not to appear rude...) and call back for another...

Verizon is expensive, very "big brother", however they have been very competent, their coverage rocks, and they have been reasonable with me a couple of times when I've made somewhat unreasonable requests... I compare this to my experiences with AT&T, Cingular... ("Please Kill Me Now" is what comes to mind when I think of them...)

All that said; you may simply have a defective unit, or need to restart it once a day.

If that doesn't work, see if they'll trade it out, and if not; if you have insurance... God forbid that something would happen to your Droid2, but if it ever did, you could perhaps get a relatively cheap replacement Droid2.

Or... perhaps just upgrade to a Droid3. I can't say enough about how much I love this phone...

Good Luck!
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I think I just need more RAM and processor, but when I got mine it had the most of both. Does D3 have a full KB? That is a MUST for my size 13 Fingers. . .

I also suspect that my firmware/OS is corrupt/damaged.

I know ONE other person with the D2 and she has LESS availabe RAM than I do, but 0 problems.
Old September 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid 4, Motorola Droid 2

The Gingerbread update is best upgraded from a plain vanilla Froyo installation. If you're feeling brave, SBF your phone back to Froyo 2.3.20, download Gingerbread and root via Droid 3 PC method.
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I tthink I followed that, but I don't want to root it and lose the verizon support, not that they have been any help, but if I brick it, they won't replace it.
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid 2 w/ many roms (retired), LG Ally w/ many roms (retired), Droid Razr Maxx w/ modified stock

Yes

Thats why you break it if you have insurance. Plus theres sbfing as well.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Resident Ninja

Device(s): Moto X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,369 Posts
nick.keatts@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryHalls View Post
I tthink I followed that, but I don't want to root it and lose the verizon support, not that they have been any help, but if I brick it, they won't replace it.
why not just upgrade to the droid3????
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr

Task killer is hurting you more than helping. Try a AOSP ROM they run a lot smoother than stock ROMs.
sponsored links
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidedsaint View Post
why not just upgrade to the droid3????
$500
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDunc View Post
Task killer is hurting you more than helping. Try a AOSP ROM they run a lot smoother than stock ROMs.
Got a link for that? I didn't find it in market.

On a side not. It's like I have some memory leaks. Available meory goes down over time whether I use it or not.

I'm really pissed because I was banking on the update to fix these things but it made everything worse.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr

Android is made to kill tasks when memory is needed. It has it's own built in "task killer." As far a link for AOSP ROMs check out the All Things Root thread on how to flash ROMs. There is a link of ROMs here. ->http://androidforums.com/droid-2-all-things-root/388540-latest-active-d2-roms-9-14-11-a.html

Motorola DROID 2
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Droid 2 is the followup to the Verizon handset that put Android on the map in a big way, and keeping with tradition key upgrades and an improved keyboard creates a device worthy of the name. Featuring a 1GHz processor, 3.7-inch display... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 2