Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Extended battery, worth it?

Dose anyone have a extended battery and how do you like it? I find that if I run Pandora it only lasts about 3 hours or so and I would like to make that a lot longer. Also can you still get a case on it? Other then that I love my new bad ass Droid 3.

Last edited by badjustice; July 30th, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid, Droid 3, Droid 2(moms)

I don't have the extended battery, but I do know that you can still get a case on it.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (rooted), Motorola Droid 3 (rooted)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm also thinking about it, although at $50 (I think), I don't know if it's worth it. My thought is that if one has a charger available in multiple spots, then maybe it's not needed. In my case, I have a charger at home (2, actually), 1 at work, and 1 in the car. But if I'm out and about for the whole day, then that's when the wimpy battery affects my phone.
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

I decided to give this battery a try. $21.95 on ebay.. 1800 mAh.. same size as the oem battery.. got it on Saturday.. incredible difference. highly recommend.

New Extended Slim Battery Motorola Droid 3 1800mAh! | eBay
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

BTW Amazon has the 1800, Stock is 1500 for $20.00
Amazon.com: Factory New Extended Slim Battery For Motorola DROID 3 And Milestone 3 1800mAh! High Capacity Slim Battery: Electronics
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

There is also an Extended Battery with Cover...1930...found it for $38
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

^ Good to see aftermarket batteries starting to appear. Looks like the OEM that VZW sells are ripoffs.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Rhyme & Samsung Stratosphere

Send a message via AIM to houseofgrafx houseofgrafx

Quick question....do you have to buy a new backing for the extended battery? I know they are usually thicker but the ones posted in links here are for the "slim" battery. Does that mean the OEM back cover would fit?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofgrafx View Post
Quick question....do you have to buy a new backing for the extended battery? I know they are usually thicker but the ones posted in links here are for the "slim" battery. Does that mean the OEM back cover would fit?
the 1800 batteries above fit under the original slim back.. got mine on Saturday.. i never have to charge during the day now.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Vz & rooted to hell! -Touchpad (GB) -Rezound, (GB) -Rhyme (root in progress) -Moto Droid 3 -Eris (GB

so how much more time are you really getting out of the 1800 battery? does the 300mAh make that much of a difference?
sponsored links
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitewulf View Post
I don't have the extended battery, but I do know that you can still get a case on it.

I was sold the Motorola 1900+ extended battery with its slightly different case at the Verizon store in North Hills, Raleigh, NC. They also sold me the black hard rubber textured 2-piece case for the phone. The two do NOT fit together, as the bottom helf of the 2-piece case keeps slipping off if the extended battery's cover is used instead of the regular battery cover.

I could get the original battery cover on over the extended battery, and the textured black hard rubber case fits, more or less, then. I have heard, though, that this is not a good idea because the extended battery can swell and cause possible damage to the phone if it doesn't have the little bit of extra room the extended battery cover provides and since I really like this phone I am not willing to try it. I went back to the original battery rather than leave the back of the phone unprotected.

I want a stretchy latex style skin case, but have not found a one yet. I bet that would stay on with the extended battery and its cover. Battery life with the regular battery is only a few hours here, unless I don't use the phone at all. Streaming Pandora over 3G, it seems to run down even while it is continuously plugged in, but that can't be right...can it ?

Glenn
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

I posted in another thread that I took my phone into VZW because my battery wasn't even lasting 5 hours (it was fine when I first got the phone, but started this on Friday). While there, I got the extended battery.

I took the phone off the charger around 4 am this morning, have had wifi on all day, and streamed Jango all day at work. It's now 9:10 and I still have decent battery left. I'm going to see how long it lasts...well, at least if it dies before I go to bed tonight. It's at 20% now, and I've had wifi on, surfed the web, texted, made phone calls and played games since being home.

I'm pleased with the battery life with the extended battery! If I can stream music for 9 hours and have wifi on, I think that's pretty good.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiermama View Post
I posted in another thread that I took my phone into VZW because my battery wasn't even lasting 5 hours (it was fine when I first got the phone, but started this on Friday). While there, I got the extended battery.

I took the phone off the charger around 4 am this morning, have had wifi on all day, and streamed Jango all day at work. It's now 9:10 and I still have decent battery left. I'm going to see how long it lasts...well, at least if it dies before I go to bed tonight. It's at 20% now, and I've had wifi on, surfed the web, texted, made phone calls and played games since being home.

I'm pleased with the battery life with the extended battery! If I can stream music for 9 hours and have wifi on, I think that's pretty good.
Wow, that's pretty good feedback. I may have to get an extended battery, if not the expensive one from VZW, then the $20 Ebay one that people have mentioned here.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Is the more expensive extended battery from verizon a larger, longer lasting battery than the one on ebay? I like the idea of being able to use my original backing. Does the verizon one come with the backing or do you use your original?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Disregard my above post. I did some research. I realized the extended batteries from verizon come with the required backing that fits the extended battery. I also found the oem extended battery on ebay for $39.99 if anyone is interested
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzelTokatl View Post
so how much more time are you really getting out of the 1800 battery? does the 300mAh make that much of a difference?
My phone would drop to under 15% 2 out of 3 days with the oem battery.. I haven't dropped under 40% on any day since.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Is there an extended battery that can be used with the Inductive Battery cover? I really like the idea of the wireless charging.
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmar29 View Post
Is there an extended battery that can be used with the Inductive Battery cover? I really like the idea of the wireless charging.
I am looking for the same thing. I already have the wireless inductive charging going (works great by the way), and I saw this review a guy with a DROID 3 did (Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Energizer Qi-Enabled 3 Position Inductive Charger (Black)) where he mentions that he is using an extended battery with the inductive door. I am trying to figure out if that is the 1800 battery (same size as standard) or the 1930 (real extended, slightly bigger) battery. Can anyone confirm if the 1930 will work with the DROID 3 inductive battery door?
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr HD

Default Slim Extended Battery

Does anyone else have the 1800 Slim Extended Battery found on Ebay and Amazon? It is advertised as being the same size as the original, but the two reviews on Amazon seem to disagree. One says it doesn't fit, and one says it fits if some finesse is used, but even then it is still not great. I would really like some extra battery life, but would like to keep the original back so most of the cases will still fit. If anyone else has any experience with his battery (or knows of any other "Slim" extended batteries), I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Thanks
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx HD
Carrier: Verizon

Send a message via AIM to dguy

Knockoff/fake batteries are extremely common, use caution. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from lying about the battery capacity.(They make up the majority that you find on Ebay)
sponsored links
Old August 29th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

If someone purchases a less than 50 dollar extended battery from ebay or another source, and it is legit, could they post the link here? Wouldn't want to buy a dud.
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC G1, Samsung Behold 2, Samsung Vibrant, HTC G2, My Touch 4g, Droid X, Droid 2 Global, Droid 3

I do not understand battery technology. How can you make one battery 1800 and keep it the same size as a 1400 or 1500? How can you icnrease the power output and not make it bigger. i just dont understand that..
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

^ Yeah, I agree. To be safe, get the OEM from VZW, but yes, you'll pay a premium for that.
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've had my extended battery for a few weeks now. I have the one from VZW. Typically, I'm going more than 24 hours without a charge, although yesterday was an exception. I was at the eye doc with my husband waiting for his eye surgery, checking my work email, surfing, texting, playing games, etc. most of the day. Came home, and had numerous phone calls, texts, and did some surfing. Wifi was on at home, too. Even after all of that, my phone battery didn't start to get low til about 10 pm. It still didn't die before I went to bed at 11.

I am very happy with the extended battery!
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am pleased with my extended battery which I purchased at verizon. It will last me 14 hours of very heavy use. The standard battery only lasts about 5 hours of the same use. I think that I may have a bad battery that came with the phone but I haven't had a real reason to call verizon and have them send me another one.
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Vz & rooted to hell! -Touchpad (GB) -Rezound, (GB) -Rhyme (root in progress) -Moto Droid 3 -Eris (GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by `Ghost` View Post
I do not understand battery technology. How can you make one battery 1800 and keep it the same size as a 1400 or 1500? How can you icnrease the power output and not make it bigger. i just dont understand that..

It's simple really. You can use the same casing and fill the chemical solution with a slightly cheaper compound that will burn off the energy faster, hence 1400, you can fill it with more expensive solutions that break down energy slower, hence the 1500 battery. But, you can only peak out within the same casing after that you get the bigger batteries.

Manufacturers dont want to spend THAT much money giving you the best product life, they want you to spend money on little upgrades and accessories. hence how they can offer a better battery with the same fit.

same as buying a plastic ring, silver ring, gold, tungstung(the heaviest) ring... same size, different material, but weight beings to change even though its the same shape and form, and also taking up the same space.
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

^makes sense

I just got the Extended Slim Battery Motorola Droid 3 1800mAh off of ebay http://bit.ly/rqrmIh

Monitoring it today and guesstimating how long it will take for the battery to die, it looks like I can get 20 hours out of it, with significant use. (I'll know for sure at the end of the day). Wifi on the majority of the day (only turned off for an hour). Significant use of Music Beta on 3G (probably 2 hours of playback). Words with friends, scrabble, downloading apps, texting, some internet use. I have gotten rid of some bloatware, but not all because I actually like some of the social messaging and such.

With the stock battery it seemed like i could get 16 hours with moderate use. Turning off wifi and/or data a bit more than heavy use and less music playback.

All in all I think it was a good choice and I shouldn't have to worry about recharging before the end of the day I don't think.
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by olufadi1 View Post
^makes sense

I just got the Extended Slim Battery Motorola Droid 3 1800mAh off of ebay eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Monitoring it today and guesstimating how long it will take for the battery to die, it looks like I can get 20 hours out of it, with significant use. (I'll know for sure at the end of the day). Wifi on the majority of the day (only turned off for an hour). Significant use of Music Beta on 3G (probably 2 hours of playback). Words with friends, scrabble, downloading apps, texting, some internet use. I have gotten rid of some bloatware, but not all because I actually like some of the social messaging and such.

With the stock battery it seemed like i could get 16 hours with moderate use. Turning off wifi and/or data a bit more than heavy use and less music playback.

All in all I think it was a good choice and I shouldn't have to worry about recharging before the end of the day I don't think.
how do you think the slim battery fits? just like the original, or workable but not perfect? It is advertised as the same size as original, but it seems like opinions on it vary.
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

i had no problem with fit. just slipped it right in and closed the cover.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

I can't post links but on Amazon there's a store called AlwayzonSale, I bought my battery there for 27 plus shipping. It came out to about 31$. It is the VAN extended 1930mah, and it did come with the battery cover. Legit box and wrapping. All I need to do now is calibrate it
sponsored links
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:20 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reklezztrini View Post
I can't post links but on Amazon there's a store called AlwayzonSale, I bought my battery there for 27 plus shipping. It came out to about 31$. It is the VAN extended 1930mah, and it did come with the battery cover. Legit box and wrapping. All I need to do now is calibrate it
I assume this is the item your refering to?

Amazon.com: New Motorola Droid 3 Oem Extended Battery Bf6x and Cover Door: alwayz-on-sale

Although it doesn't state the MAH number?

i'd be curious thats one of the biggest extended batteries out so far (at least that I know of) how much thicker is this beefy phone now? How's your batter life going? i'm waiting to find a great battery, without going to fat.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:26 PM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, stock JellyBean rom, rooted and unlocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzelTokatl View Post
i'd be curious thats one of the biggest extended batteries out so far (at least that I know of) how much thicker is this beefy phone now? How's your batter life going? i'm waiting to find a great battery, without going to fat.
The official Moto extended battery and cover are barely different than stock. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:11 PM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Page Plus

Bumping an old thread. Looks like it's been more than a year since you guys bought your extended batteries and I was just wondering if any of you can comment on the long-term performance of your batteries? Are they still providing reasonable charge after a year?

I am considering purchasing the OEM battery here: Amazon.com: Motorola Droid 3 Oem Extended Battery Bf6x and Cover Door: Cell Phones & Accessories

I actually purchased an aftermarket battery six months ago: Amazon.com: 3500mAh Extended Battery with Battery Cover for Motorola Droid 3 XT862: Cell Phones & Accessories

However, I noticed that the aftermarket battery has started to bulge a bit and it is not lasting as long as it used to. I'm guessing it was poorly manufactured. So I'm willing to shell out on an OEM extended battery (as long as it is able to last for a full day with moderate usage).
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:34 PM   #34 (permalink)

^ Thanks for bumping this thread. I'm also in the market for an extended battery for the Droid 3. My OEM one, which is about 1.5 years old, is horrible. In just 1.5 hours of texting and Web surfing (nothing intensive), I can deplete my phone's battery to 50%. That's horrible IMO.

In the links you gave, wow, the OEM costs a fortune but has mostly good reviews. The knock-off one is much cheaper but has poor reviews. Is this one of those "you get what you pay for" cases? I'd like to also hear from others in this forum and their recommendations.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:56 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
In the links you gave, wow, the OEM costs a fortune but has mostly good reviews. The knock-off one is much cheaper but has poor reviews. Is this one of those "you get what you pay for" cases? I'd like to also hear from others in this forum and their recommendations.
I believe so. I should point out that the OEM one has a much lower mAh than the aftermarket one (in fact, the OEM one isn't that much higher than stock):

Stock OEM: 1500 mAh
Extended OEM: 1930 mAh
Aftermarket: 3500 mAh

Initially, the aftermarket battery was lasting for quite a long time (~36 hours moderate use without charging). But after six months, it's degraded significantly and it's nowhere near the original charge.

But then you mentioned that your stock OEM battery currently doesn't last as long as it used to, so maybe it's just a matter of luck...
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:58 AM   #36 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)

Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts

I've had my extended battery (stock BF6X) since late October 2011, and it's definitely still going great. I actually also purchased another extended battery (this one: Amazon.com: AnkerŪ 1800mAh Li-ion Battery For Motorola Droid 3, Milestone 3 (Motorola BF6X Replacement) - White: Cell Phones & Accessories which, as you can see, is no longer available) and I swap them at the beginning of each month.

Anyway, both are in great shape. As previously mentioned, they are not huge mAh improvements over the stock normal battery (around 20%, IIRC), but every little bit helps. Plus, I always have the stock battery around as a spare in the off-chance I need it (in over 14 months of use, I haven't needed it.)
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk2010 View Post
I believe so. I should point out that the OEM one has a much lower mAh than the aftermarket one (in fact, the OEM one isn't that much higher than stock):

Stock OEM: 1500 mAh
Extended OEM: 1930 mAh
Aftermarket: 3500 mAh

Initially, the aftermarket battery was lasting for quite a long time (~36 hours moderate use without charging). But after six months, it's degraded significantly and it's nowhere near the original charge.

But then you mentioned that your stock OEM battery currently doesn't last as long as it used to, so maybe it's just a matter of luck...
3500 mA-hr. is probably a bit of overkill for me. Also, I'd need something that has the stock dimensions since I have a case for my phone that probably wouldn't work with a replacement cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I've had my extended battery (stock BF6X) since late October 2011, and it's definitely still going great. I actually also purchased another extended battery (this one: Amazon.com: AnkerŪ 1800mAh Li-ion Battery For Motorola Droid 3, Milestone 3 (Motorola BF6X Replacement) - White: Cell Phones & Accessories which, as you can see, is no longer available) and I swap them at the beginning of each month.

Anyway, both are in great shape. As previously mentioned, they are not huge mAh improvements over the stock normal battery (around 20%, IIRC), but every little bit helps. Plus, I always have the stock battery around as a spare in the off-chance I need it (in over 14 months of use, I haven't needed it.)
Thanks for replying. Damn, too bad that battery is out of stock. Do you remember approximately how much you paid for it? I'd like to stay in the $15 range for a slightly higher capacity battery that uses the stock back cover.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for replying. Damn, too bad that battery is out of stock. Do you remember approximately how much you paid for it? I'd like to stay in the $15 range for a slightly higher capacity battery that uses the stock back cover.
Tried to search on Google for the Anker extended battery that replaces the BF6X but no luck. I did find the OEM BF6X on eBay for a reasonable price: New Motorola Extended Battery DROID3 Droid 3 XT862 BF6X SNN5879A 1880 1930 | eBay

Also found this sick deal which includes two aftermarket BF6X replacements and a wall charger, all under $10: 2X BF6X Battery Dock Charger for Motorola Droid 3 XT862 | eBay

I might spring for the second deal since I will likely upgrade to a new phone later this year, so it doesn't matter if they only last for a few months. I already have the same charger so I'll probably re-sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrk2010 For This Useful Post:
beowulf7 (January 4th, 2013)
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:14 PM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)

Quote:
I paid $10.99.

The Anker battery requires the extended battery cover - the stock battery cover will not close completely due to the thickness of the battery pack (it's just slightly thicker than the Motorola extended battery, actually.)
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:34 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
I paid $10.99.

The Anker battery requires the extended battery cover - the stock battery cover will not close completely due to the thickness of the battery pack (it's just slightly thicker than the Motorola extended battery, actually.)
My Droid 3 actually came with the OEM BF6X. But I think the battery is defective since the phone suddenly reboots whenever I close the sliding keypad or if it moves around in my pocket. This doesn't happen with my extended battery.

Do you mind telling me the thickness of your extended battery cover? I'm not sure if my phone came with the extended cover or the regular cover. Mine is about 3 mm.
sponsored links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
My Droid 3 actually came with the OEM BF6X. But I think the battery is defective since the phone suddenly reboots whenever I close the sliding keypad or if it moves around in my pocket. This doesn't happen with my extended battery.

Do you mind telling me the thickness of your extended battery cover? I'm not sure if my phone came with the extended cover or the regular cover. Mine is about 3 mm.
The extended cover does not appear to be very different from the regular cover. The regular cover has a fingernail pry slot in the center at the top of the back cover, which includes the microphone opening; the extended cover has its pry slot in the top right corner, with a discrete top microphone hole in the center top. With the regular cover on, the camera is slightly raised from the cover; with the extended cover, it is slightly recessed.

Ok, even easier: the regular cover has a part number molded on the inside of 15014572001 (I have two of them, and both are the same.) The extended cover I have is 15014130001.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doogald For This Useful Post:
beowulf7 (January 4th, 2013), mrk2010 (January 4th, 2013)
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
The extended cover does not appear to be very different from the regular cover. The regular cover has a fingernail pry slot in the center at the top of the back cover, which includes the microphone opening; the extended cover has its pry slot in the top right corner, with a discrete top microphone hole in the center top. With the regular cover on, the camera is slightly raised from the cover; with the extended cover, it is slightly recessed.

Ok, even easier: the regular cover has a part number molded on the inside of 15014572001 (I have two of them, and both are the same.) The extended cover I have is 15014130001.
Ohhhhh, so I have the regular cover even though it was shipped with the extended battery...smh. I'm gonna have to order the extended battery cover: Amazon.com: Motorola Brand New OEM Extended Battery Door Moto XT862/DROID 3 - Battery - Bulk Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Tried to search on Google for the Anker extended battery that replaces the BF6X but no luck. I did find the OEM BF6X on eBay for a reasonable price: New Motorola Extended Battery DROID3 Droid 3 XT862 BF6X SNN5879A 1880 1930 | eBay

Also found this sick deal which includes two aftermarket BF6X replacements and a wall charger, all under $10: 2X BF6X Battery Dock Charger for Motorola Droid 3 XT862 | eBay

I might spring for the second deal since I will likely upgrade to a new phone later this year, so it doesn't matter if they only last for a few months. I already have the same charger so I'll probably re-sell it.
Thanks for the info. As expected, the OEM costs more than the "compatible" one (a big price diff. considering 1 battery vs. 2, so pretty much quadruple the price!). I've read mixed things if the "slightly" extended battery (~1900 mA-hr) would fit the stock Droid 3 cover. I know the "very" extended battery (~3500 mA-hr) requires a new cover, which is understandable.

I can take the chance about squeezing the OEM cover w/ a 1900 battery since I have a case, which should keep the back cover from popping off. I have the OEM case that has a kick stand and also attaches to a belt clip.

Hmm, so what should I decide. Decisions, decisions.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
I paid $10.99.

That was a pretty good price compared to OEM. I wonder if all ~1900 mA-hr batteries (OEM or not) have the same thickness with respect to the back cover. It seems like it's a really close and tight fit, but maybe something I can chance since I have the OEM case I mentioned in my previous post.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I can take the chance about squeezing the OEM cover w/ a 1900 battery since I have a case, which should keep the back cover from popping off. I have the OEM case that has a kick stand and also attaches to a belt clip.

Hmm, so what should I decide. Decisions, decisions.
If you are using a case, you can just not put a back cover at all on the phone - the case will hold the battery in. I used an otterbox for a little while and that's the way I carried it.
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
That was a pretty good price compared to OEM. I wonder if all ~1900 mA-hr batteries (OEM or not) have the same thickness with respect to the back cover. It seems like it's a really close and tight fit, but maybe something I can chance since I have the OEM case I mentioned in my previous post.
The Anker was advertised as not needing an extended battery cover. This was incorrect; you cannot fully snap the stock cover on.
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
If you are using a case, you can just not put a back cover at all on the phone - the case will hold the battery in. I used an otterbox for a little while and that's the way I carried it.
Quote:
The Anker was advertised as not needing an extended battery cover. This was incorrect; you cannot fully snap the stock cover on.
Too bad about the false advertising.

But I guess for someone like me who has a carrying case, I guess it's not the end of the world if the back cover won't fit in there. I'm just concerned that w/o the cover, that little extra room between not having the cover and the back of the case might be enough to jar the battery out just enough if the phone is bumped so that it loses contact w/ the contact sensors.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #48 (permalink)

Here's an 1800 mA-hr. slightly extended (compared to 1500 mA-hr.) battery that supposedly fits the stock cover.

"Extended Slim Battery 1800mAh for Motorola Droid 3 BF6X"

But at ~$20, it's pretty expensive compared to the other BF6X batteries on Ebay. Does anyone have experience with this battery?
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid (Rooted & Overclocked) My Droid has lost it's Moto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjustice View Post
Dose anyone have a extended battery and how do you like it?
I have the Gorilla Gadgets 4500mah extended battery and...LOVE IT! Using CleanROM 5.x, I am getting an average of 15 hours with heavy use.

The lowest (9 hours with extremely heavy use)

The highest (31 hours with average use)
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKorp View Post
I have the Gorilla Gadgets 4500mah extended battery and...LOVE IT! Using CleanROM 5.x, I am getting an average of 15 hours with heavy use.

The lowest (9 hours with extremely heavy use)

The highest (31 hours with average use)
Sickkkkk...might consider buying one for when I'm traveling...where did you buy this from?

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Tags
droid 3, extended battery

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3