Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Turn OFF email notification sound

Hi all - just upgraded to a Droid 3 and am annoyed at the email notification sound. Went to gmail settings and only have the option of turning off the notification in the status bar, but not the ringtone. Went to phone settings and under "Notification Ringtone" there is no option for silent!

Any suggestions? Apps to use? I am pretty disappointed in this and irritated that (as far as I can find) a way to turn off the audio notification for emails.

Advertisements
irenealexis is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have the option to set the ringtone to silent
Gmail > settings key > More > Setting > Select Ringtone > Silent
Silent is the second one down
klintala is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 1 Post
Default

When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!
Jayszeman is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jayszeman For This Useful Post:
amylegg (March 2nd, 2012), beds (November 19th, 2011), brobox (January 15th, 2012), camerseni (November 28th, 2011), colmack (May 1st, 2012), Confidence1303 (November 22nd, 2011), dh521 (September 8th, 2011), iggy-p (November 28th, 2013), Jayfore (February 27th, 2012), Royhyder (December 27th, 2011), stancotreau (March 28th, 2012), turiya (March 11th, 2012), xiteg79 (March 25th, 2012)
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayszeman View Post
When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!
THANK YOU! I wouldn't have expected this option to be under "Labels to Notify" and probably never would have looked there. Much appreciated!
irenealexis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Turn off Email Notifications Sound

Just spent an hour on the phone with Motorola on how to shut off the annoying email notifications in the middle of the night while leaving the sounds on for Texts and phone calls - they're answer was "sorry it can't be done on any android phone" they wanted me to shut off my Gmail Sync manuallly each night .... I took a look in this forum and saw Jayszeman's response and it worked ! Thanks Jayszeman now maybe I can get some sleep -
double00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Turn off email notifications for MS Outlook

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S II phone synced to my MS Outlook email, and want to turn off email notifications. Help please.
rjhickel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayszeman View Post
When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!

Wow thanks a lot Ive been looking for how to do this for months!! lol
Confidence1303 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 64
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4, Droid Razr,
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Old posts never die they get searched and brought back to life with a BIG thank you. I have been looking for this since I got my Razr
brobox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post
Just spent an hour on the phone with Motorola on how to shut off the annoying email notifications in the middle of the night while leaving the sounds on for Texts and phone calls - they're answer was "sorry it can't be done on any android phone" they wanted me to shut off my Gmail Sync manuallly each night .... I took a look in this forum and saw Jayszeman's response and it worked ! Thanks Jayszeman now maybe I can get some sleep -
Android!

Get a Nokia N9 with Maemo/Meego. It has settings for peak time intervals (20min, 30min, etc), peak time (6am-9pm), peak days(mon,tue,fri), and off-peak time intervals (10min,20min, ..., off). You can turn off-peak and adjust peak time to your needs and your phone will not sound while you are asleep. It will check the email when hit hits the peak time and alert and maybe that will be your wake-up alarm as well!

Another reason, Nokia Maemo OS was further ahead of iPhone and Android.
abyzthomas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayszeman View Post
When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!
The weird thing was that I had my notifications turned off ("Email notifications" unchecked), and was still getting them. I just enabled it, and then turned everything off under "Labels to notify"... Unfortunately, Gmail seems to be completely ignoring these settings! I still got a notification sound after making the change. Then I disabled email notifications again, and the notification was stopped. The thing is that I would like a notification on the status bar, but without a sound. For some reason, any notification will use the sound.

Someone else suggested to completely disable notification sound on the phone... And then set one in whatever messaging app is used. It seems silly to have to go to those lengths, when the Gmail app settings should just work?
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
The weird thing was that I had my notifications turned off ("Email notifications" unchecked), and was still getting them. I just enabled it, and then turned everything off under "Labels to notify"... Unfortunately, Gmail seems to be completely ignoring these settings! I still got a notification sound after making the change. Then I disabled email notifications again, and the notification was stopped. The thing is that I would like a notification on the status bar, but without a sound. For some reason, any notification will use the sound.
That's weird, because I have a couple of labels in Gmail set to notify, but with ringtone set to silent and vibration off, and that works perfectly - they pop a notification in the notification area but do not make a sound nor do they vibrate the phone.

The only app that I use for mail in the the GMail app - I don't have any other email accounts set on the phone in (from home) settings->accounts.

I know that in the GMail app, from menu->more->settings->tap your account you can set which labels to sync, and then, under "Labels to notify", you can set (for each inbox and label you have chosen) you can choose whether to notify (this will put an icon in the notification area), the Ringtone (which can be set to silent), Vibration, and whether to Notify once when a message is first received, or to notify each time that there is a message. If you set once, it will only notify you one time until you clear the notification or enter the GMail app.

Again, this works perfectly for me.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
That's weird, because I have a couple of labels in Gmail set to notify, but with ringtone set to silent and vibration off, and that works perfectly - they pop a notification in the notification area but do not make a sound nor do they vibrate the phone.

The only app that I use for mail in the the GMail app - I don't have any other email accounts set on the phone in (from home) settings->accounts.

I know that in the GMail app, from menu->more->settings->tap your account you can set which labels to sync, and then, under "Labels to notify", you can set (for each inbox and label you have chosen) you can choose whether to notify (this will put an icon in the notification area), the Ringtone (which can be set to silent), Vibration, and whether to Notify once when a message is first received, or to notify each time that there is a message. If you set once, it will only notify you one time until you clear the notification or enter the GMail app.

Again, this works perfectly for me.
Thanks for the detailed reply... When I go into this area, the only things I see are Inbox (off) and Priority inbox (off). I don't see any option to add any specific labels. What am I missing?
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply... When I go into this area, the only things I see are Inbox (off) and Priority inbox (off). I don't see any option to add any specific labels. What am I missing?
Again, in the GMail app, menu->more->settings->tap your Gmail account.

Tap "Sync inboxes and labels".

From here, you can choose which inboxes and labels (as well as starred mail, sent mail, and Important mail - sort of redundant, since they already offer Priority Inbox) you want to sync. Anything that you choose to sync here will show up under "Labels to notify" in the previous menu.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Again, in the GMail app, menu->more->settings->tap your Gmail account.

Tap "Sync inboxes and labels".

From here, you can choose which inboxes and labels (as well as starred mail, sent mail, and Important mail - sort of redundant, since they already offer Priority Inbox) you want to sync. Anything that you choose to sync here will show up under "Labels to notify" in the previous menu.
Hey, my phone just beeped and vibrated, to let me know that you had posted this reply!

OK, I had not seen this area before (Sync inboxes and labels), to add more labels for sync. I think I'm good though, with just the Inbox, so I don't need to add any more. The problem was that for my Inbox, I had Email notifications set to off. This shades out the other options, for Ringtone, Vibrate, and Notify once... Which made me think that it would not be doing any of those things. I guess that is not the case.

So now I have enabled Email notifications, and then changed Ringtone to Silent and Vibrate to Never.

Sync inboxes and labels:
Quantity\Amount of mail to sync... 4 days
Labels\Inbox... 4 days
Labels\Priority Inbox... 4 days
Labels\Sent... 4 days

Email notifications: ON

Labels to notify
Inbox... Silent, Never, Notify once for new email
Priority Inbox... Silent, Never, Notify once for new email

This is the only account I have set up in the Gmail app. STILL getting sound and vibrate on new email!
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
This is the only account I have set up in the Gmail app. STILL getting sound and vibrate on new email!
If you tap that notification icon, does it open the GMail app or does it open something else?

Or, to ask another way, if you go to home, menu->settings->accounts, under "My accounts" do you have your Gmail account listed under both "Email" and "Google"?

I'm wondering if you set up your Google account in both the GMail app and the stock messaging email app, and it's the latter that is sounding email alarms.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
If you tap that notification icon, does it open the GMail app or does it open something else?

Or, to ask another way, if you go to home, menu->settings->accounts, under "My accounts" do you have your Gmail account listed under both "Email" and "Google"?

I'm wondering if you set up your Google account in both the GMail app and the stock messaging email app, and it's the latter that is sounding email alarms.
If I open the notification drop-down and click on the icon, it takes me to my Gmail. The popup that overlays the screen when a new email comes in is from Gmail also.

When I go to Manage Accounts area, the only place my Gmail address shows up is under "Google" -- I have no "Email" section listed at all -- the only other email item is my Exchange ActiveSync.
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
If I open the notification drop-down and click on the icon, it takes me to my Gmail. The popup that overlays the screen when a new email comes in is from Gmail also.

When I go to Manage Accounts area, the only place my Gmail address shows up is under "Google" -- I have no "Email" section listed at all -- the only other email item is my Exchange ActiveSync.
Are you sure that it's not the activesync item that is chiming and vibrating?

One thing that you could do - set the Gmail labels that you have syncing temporarily to very distinctive ringtones (ones that you use for nothing else) and also set them to vibrate. Verify that they ring when you receive mail in those inboxes. Then set them to silent and no vibration again - and see if/which ringtone sounds the next time that you receive mail.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doogald For This Useful Post:
Jayfore (March 1st, 2012)
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Are you sure that it's not the activesync item that is chiming and vibrating?

One thing that you could do - set the Gmail labels that you have syncing temporarily to very distinctive ringtones (ones that you use for nothing else) and also set them to vibrate. Verify that they ring when you receive mail in those inboxes. Then set them to silent and no vibration again - and see if/which ringtone sounds the next time that you receive mail.
Yep, the popup / screen overlay for Gmail comes up at the same time as the sound. I send an email to my Gmail, and beep! There it is. Also, my Exchange ActiveSync account has been removed from the phone, temporarily.

As for changing the sounds, I tried that just now. I set the sound to "Hi" instead of silent. What I got was "Hi", followed by "Zeta". So there must be a second item, like you said before, that is telling it to play this other sound.

BTW, thanks for all your help in troubleshooting this!
Jayfore is offline  
Last edited by Jayfore; March 1st, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
Yep, the popup / screen overlay for Gmail comes up at the same time as the sound. I send an email to my Gmail, and beep! There it is. Also, my Exchange ActiveSync account has been removed from the phone, temporarily.

As for changing the sounds, I tried that just now. I set the sound to "Hi" instead of silent. What I got was "Hi", followed by "Zeta". So there must be a second item, like you said before, that is telling it to play this other sound.

BTW, thanks for all your help in troubleshooting this!
You're welcome.

Another thing to try: from home, settings->accounts. Tap your Google account. Turn off GMail sync - you should be able to leave the rest, though (calendar, contacts, books, instant upload if you have G+, etc.) See what happens when you get a gmail message - does the GMail notification icon appear? Does the notification sound zeam ring, and does it vibrate?

If the sound happens without an icon, I wonder if there is some third party app that is also checking gmail messages? From a PC web browser, you could go to this site: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens?hl=en (it should have you log in to your gmail account) and see if there are any apps that are using Oauth to connect to your Gmail account - there may be a list of sites and apps that are authorized to use your gmail account at that site.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

While I think that it's true that you cannot separate out email and sms notifications, you can adjust or turn off notifications separately from phone ringtones. I've found the Audio Manager app (and it's Pro version) extremely useful in this regard. It allows you to set up profiles that you can automatically apply as specific times of the day. This allows you to avoid hearing anything but phone calls at night, but anything you want during the day.
rgmcleod52 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 108
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

you cal simple do this follow this Gmail > settings key > More > Setting > Select Ringtone > Silent
Styrisvps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
You're welcome.

Another thing to try: from home, settings->accounts. Tap your Google account. Turn off GMail sync - you should be able to leave the rest, though (calendar, contacts, books, instant upload if you have G+, etc.) See what happens when you get a gmail message - does the GMail notification icon appear? Does the notification sound zeam ring, and does it vibrate?

If the sound happens without an icon, I wonder if there is some third party app that is also checking gmail messages? From a PC web browser, you could go to this site: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/IssuedAuthSubTokens?hl=en (it should have you log in to your gmail account) and see if there are any apps that are using Oauth to connect to your Gmail account - there may be a list of sites and apps that are authorized to use your gmail account at that site.
Once I disable Gmail sync, I get no sound notifications for new Gmail messages.

These are the only things that show, when I check the Google Accounts area:
  • xtranormal.com YouTube [ Revoke Access ]
  • Movie Maker | Xtranormal YouTube [ Revoke Access ]
  • Android Login V1 Full Account Access [ Revoke Access ]

What it's doing is playing the sound that is set within Gmail's settings (Labels to Notify), and THEN it plays the Default Notification sound (and vibrates) from Menu > Personalize > Notification Sound > Default Notification. If I change the sound of the Default Notification, it changes when I get a new email also.

Any other ideas? This makes no sense! I could disable the Default Notification, but that affects other things as well, so that would not be optimal. I would rather be able to do this without any extra apps.

Thanks!
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Clementine_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Down in the park where the Machmen meet the machines and play 'kill by numbers'
Posts: 2,405
 
Device(s): Moto X developer edition
Carrier: Over-priced stooopid Verizon

Thanks: 509
Thanked 685 Times in 563 Posts
Default

Are your emails also getting tagged/sent to your 'important' box? It's not an option on the phone but there is such a thing on the Gmail site. Gmail decides what is 'important' and puts it in that inbox, as well as your regular inbox. You can set it to not show the little yellow tag but the only way I found to disable it is to set a filter. I have mine set so that anything sent to my Gmail is marked 'not important'. I no longer get double notifications. Not sure if this is the issue but it's worth checking.

Edit to clarify: I was getting double notifications for every email until I set a filter up to bypass the 'important' label. No matter what I had my regular inbox set for I would get a second (default) notification for the 'important' box as well.
Clementine_3 is offline  
Last edited by Clementine_3; March 5th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
What it's doing is playing the sound that is set within Gmail's settings (Labels to Notify), and THEN it plays the Default Notification sound (and vibrates) from Menu > Personalize > Notification Sound > Default Notification. If I change the sound of the Default Notification, it changes when I get a new email also.
Where are you seeing "Menu > Personalize > Notification Sound > Default Notification"? This is not in GMail, and it's not in the stock launcher.

Do you have a Droid 3?
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I just noticed this... When my Gmail syncs, I get a notification. For every new email, I am getting 2 different notifications, with slightly different Gmail icons. Please have a look at the attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
Are your emails also getting tagged/sent to your 'important' box? It's not an option on the phone but there is such a thing on the Gmail site. Gmail decides what is 'important' and puts it in that inbox, as well as your regular inbox. You can set it to not show the little yellow tag but the only way I found to disable it is to set a filter. I have mine set so that anything sent to my Gmail is marked 'not important'. I no longer get double notifications. Not sure if this is the issue but it's worth checking.

Edit to clarify: I was getting double notifications for every email until I set a filter up to bypass the 'important' label. No matter what I had my regular inbox set for I would get a second (default) notification for the 'important' box as well.
In my Gmail (app) settings, I have both Inbox and Priority Inbox set to silent, though. The sounds are coming from somewhere else. For now I have altogether disabled the Default Notification sound (but it will still vibrate when one comes in). Grrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Where are you seeing "Menu > Personalize > Notification Sound > Default Notification"? This is not in GMail, and it's not in the stock launcher.
I use the MikG ROM (on EVO 4G) and I think it is what adds this shortcut, which appears to just be a shortcut to Menu > Settings > Sound > Notification sound. When I changed it in the "Personalize" area, it also changed it here (to Silent).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phone_shot.jpg (36.2 KB, 6 views)
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
I just noticed this... When my Gmail syncs, I get a notification. For every new email, I am getting 2 different notifications, with slightly different Gmail icons. Please have a look at the attachment.
I've asked this before, but those icons look slightly different. If you tap on each, do they bring you to the GMail app, or do the bring you to another app? (Notice what I highlighted.)

Also, see my comment below, but if you tap on each icon and (in gmail) right away do menu->more->about. Are they the same GMail version?

Quote:
I use the MikG ROM (on EVO 4G) and I think it is what adds this shortcut, which appears to just be a shortcut to Menu > Settings > Sound > Notification sound. When I changed it in the "Personalize" area, it also changed it here (to Silent).
This sounds unlikely, but it is possible that this ROM includes an older version of the GMail app in the ROM and then you installed a second copy from the market. Really, apps you install from the market should replace system apps that are older versions. Do you have two GMail icons in the app drawer?

Anyway, this forum is for the Droid 3 specifically. This may explain why your phone and my phone (which is a stock D3) are quite different. You really may want to ask this question(if what I listed above did not help) in the All Things Root thread in the EVO 4G forum here: EVO 4G - All Things Root - Android Forums
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I've asked this before, but those icons look slightly different. If you tap on each, do they bring you to the GMail app, or do the bring you to another app? (Notice what I highlighted.)

Also, see my comment below, but if you tap on each icon and (in gmail) right away do menu->more->about. Are they the same GMail version?



This sounds unlikely, but it is possible that this ROM includes an older version of the GMail app in the ROM and then you installed a second copy from the market. Really, apps you install from the market should replace system apps that are older versions. Do you have two GMail icons in the app drawer?

Anyway, this forum is for the Droid 3 specifically. This may explain why your phone and my phone (which is a stock D3) are quite different. You really may want to ask this question(if what I listed above did not help) in the All Things Root thread in the EVO 4G forum here: EVO 4G - All Things Root - Android Forums
Either of the icons will bring me to my Gmail inbox. When I press one of them, both of them are cleared from the notification area.

I only have one Gmail app on the phone. When I remove it, I no longer have any Gmail functions.

I honestly never checked to see where this thread lived -- I just searched the site and saw what seemed to be the same problem I was having. After digging deeper, it's a lot more than what was described here. Thanks for trying to help -- I will create a separate post in the other forum.
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
Either of the icons will bring me to my Gmail inbox. When I press one of them, both of them are cleared from the notification area.
menu->more->about - are the version numbers the same on each app that notifies you? Looking at that photo you posted, do you see how the icons look different in the notification?

But, again, ask at the EVO forum, specifically in the All things root thread, since you are running a ROM.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Clementine_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Down in the park where the Machmen meet the machines and play 'kill by numbers'
Posts: 2,405
 
Device(s): Moto X developer edition
Carrier: Over-priced stooopid Verizon

Thanks: 509
Thanked 685 Times in 563 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfore View Post
In my Gmail (app) settings, I have both Inbox and Priority Inbox set to silent, though. The sounds are coming from somewhere else. For now I have altogether disabled the Default Notification sound (but it will still vibrate when one comes in). Grrr.
On the Gmail site, not on your phone/app, there is an 'important' inbox as well. If Gmail thinks the email is important it will put it in that inbox as well as your regular inbox. It was putting almost every email I received in both so I was getting duplicate notifications on my phone. There is no 'important' inbox/label on your phone though so you can't set anything for it. I had to make a filter on Gmail (online) so that every email that is sent to me is not marked 'important'. Now everything goes to my regular inbox and I get one notification on my phone.
I don't think that is your issue after looking at your screen shot, I just wanted to try to further explain what I was saying in case it can help someone else.
Clementine_3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayszeman View Post
When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!
exactly what I've been looking for, thank you!

You can also disable the led light in settings> display
turiya is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayszeman View Post
When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!
Thank you, I use yahoo. as my default e mail, and I was able to do something similar by the instructions. VERY helpful
nunyainct is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 25
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I re-flashed today, and it looks like the duplicate Gmail notification issue has been resolved. I believe it was caused by an app called "Email Notifier" (more details here). Thanks for all the help along the way!
Jayfore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayszeman View Post
When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!
How do you get into the settings on the gmail app? I can't find it.
TravisMay11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisMay11 View Post
How do you get into the settings on the gmail app? I can't find it.
From Gmail, menu->more->settings.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
From Gmail, menu->more->settings.
Thanks, got it!
TravisMay11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 108
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

simple solution is that follow these instructions Gmail > settings key > More > Setting > Select Ringtone > Silent
Styrisvps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a Motorola (verizon) droid and I want to be able to turn off all of my notification sounds (email, calendar, full battery charge, etc) besides when I receive a text message. How do I do that? Do I need an app?
whitney529 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,765
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 517
Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney529 View Post
I have a Motorola (verizon) droid and I want to be able to turn off all of my notification sounds (email, calendar, full battery charge, etc) besides when I receive a text message. How do I do that? Do I need an app?
Whitney, this is a Droid 3 forum. Which model Droid do you have?

I think that the only way to do what you want to do, based on what I know, is to use an app called Tasker, which is a fairly complicated app. However, there are several tasker experts and perhaps if you post a separate question thread - how can I set up Tasker to turn off sound notifications for everything but turn them on for incoming text messages - somebody will have a solution for you.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 537
 
Device(s): VZW D3 (rooted)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Default

If it's an app like email or calendar, this would be controlled from inside that app. For alerts like calls and full battery, you can most likely set these alert tones to "silent" through the phone settings.
redsox985 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayszeman View Post
When you go to the settings in your gmail app, click on your e-mail address under account settings. At the bottom of the new menu, there should be a button labeled "Labels to Notify". Click this, then press Inbox. There should be an option to change the notification ringtone to silent. Hope this helps!
Great thanks - it was the labels to notify option that others where missing .
I've now turned off this annoying whistle !
iggy-p is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Tags
droid 3, email, email notifications, ringtones, silencer


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.