Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Screen randomly stops working

I'm not sure why, but my phone's screen will randomly become unresponsive. Usually, a simple restart fixes this problem temporarily. I've had this phone for four and a half months with no major problems to speak of. I've taken very good care of it, trying to avoid something like this. This morning is when it first happened. My phone had been sitting on a table for probably 12 hours completely untouched. So, when I tried to unlock it I was very surprised. Another time it happened was after using my browser and trying to send a text. It stopped working while I was texting (with the physical keypad, I think). Another time was right after I sent a text right after a phone call (also with the keypad, I'm pretty sure). The keypad works fine, and I use it often. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Now this problem only occurs when I'm charging my phone.... The screen will be slightly responsive, and will hit random buttons and pull my notifications bar down. I text with the keyboard so the touch screen doesn't mess me up, but it's annoying not being able to hit send or click a spot in my message and have to deal with my notifications bar sliding down all the time. But, like I said, it's only when I'm charging my phone.
Old January 8th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,240 Posts

Are you using the charge cable and charging plug that came with the phone? If not, does this happen with those as well?
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I was using a different charger and it didn't do that with the phone's charger. Weird, but thank you. Hopefully I won't have my initial problem again.
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

For some reason, today my touch screen randomly stopped working... My lock button did nothing, and sliding my keyboard out didn't wake the screen either. I noticed it after I got a text, and it happened a few times. I restarted my phone each time. I also found this weird... Around 2:30 I checked my phone's battery graph:

It's weird... I've been using it since 6:30 this morning, and as of last night the battery was at 90%. So I have no idea why the graph would start at 70%, almost four hours earlier. I did charge it with Motorola's charger via USB.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,240 Posts

It looks like you're rooted running a custom ROM? You may want to ask in the "All things root" thread.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I rooted my phone through the instructions in that thread. But now I'm just having these touch screen problems.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW D3 (rooted)

I would first back up all your info (Titanium Backup or a nandroid) then SBF the phone just to make sure it isn't software level. If this fixes it, restore apps and their data from TB (do not restore system stuff). If this doesn't fix it, reroot, restore the nandroid, call VZW, get a replacement and then SBF it before you ship it back.
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, stock JellyBean rom, rooted and unlocked!

I would do what redsox mentioned. If that doesn't fix it, I had the same thing happen with my D1 and it was the digitizer (screen) that was messed up. It only got worse over time. First things started with it randomly "pressing" icons like someone was controlling my phone. Then parts of the screen would stop accepting touch. Then they would work after a reboot. Then go out again. And finally parts would go out and never return to working again. Word of warning though. I ordered one and attempted to replace it myself. Unless you are good with very very small ribbon cables, have it done professionally. I screwed mine up royally

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3