Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Droid 3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Linking gmail into the mail app

I've searched the forums and can't find my answer. When I tap the mail app, there is no gmail icon. But when I go to Menu > Manage accounts, my gmail account shows up. I already have yahoo and my work emails going to the mail app with no problems. How do I add gmail? It's there, but it's not there.

Advertisements
kinosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,790
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 519
Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinosh View Post
I've searched the forums and can't find my answer. When I tap the mail app, there is no gmail icon. But when I go to Menu > Manage accounts, my gmail account shows up. I already have yahoo and my work emails going to the mail app with no problems. How do I add gmail? It's there, but it's not there.
There is a separate app called GMail that has your gmail account. It's possible to add to the email account as well (from home, in settings->accounts, and set up using Gmail's IMAP and SMTP instructions), but the GMail app is already all set.
doogald is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Droid 3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Right now, gmail is going to the Gmail app. I would prefer for all of my emails to go to the Mail app, including gmail, so I think I have that setup. Gmail shows up in the accounts list you described, but when I go back to the home screen and open the Mail app, the gmail icon is not there. My question is where is it?

When I try to remove my gmail account from the Gmail app, it says I cannot do it because the "account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults." I don't want to go back to the defaults.
kinosh is offline  
Last edited by kinosh; February 5th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,790
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 519
Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinosh View Post
Right now, gmail is going to the Gmail app. I would prefer for all of my emails to go to the Mail app, including gmail, so I think I have that setup. Gmail shows up in the accounts list you described, but when I go back to the home screen and open the Mail app, the gmail icon is not there. My question is where is it?
That account information is not used by the email/messaging application - as far as email is concerned, it is only used by the GMail app. See below.

Quote:
When I try to remove my gmail account from the Gmail app, it says I cannot do it because the "account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults." I don't want to go back to the defaults.
If you do not want mail delivered to the GMail app, tap the gmail icon in settings->accounts and uncheck "sync Gmail". That's your first step.

Second, back in settings->accounts, ignore the google account that's there - you have just turned off gmail sync anyway, and, if you looked, is also used for other push syncing for calendars, contacts, etc.

Tap add account at the bottom, choose email from the next screen, and enter your gmail account information. That should set up your Gmail account in the email app.
doogald is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doogald For This Useful Post:
kinosh (February 5th, 2012)
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Droid 3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
That account information is not used by the email/messaging application - as far as email is concerned, it is only used by the GMail app. See below.



If you do not want mail delivered to the GMail app, tap the gmail icon in settings->accounts and uncheck "sync Gmail". That's your first step.

Second, back in settings->accounts, ignore the google account that's there - you have just turned off gmail sync anyway, and, if you looked, is also used for other push syncing for calendars, contacts, etc.

Tap add account at the bottom, choose email from the next screen, and enter your gmail account information. That should set up your Gmail account in the email app.
Thank you very very much!! I'm a happy camper now
kinosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.