Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HAD: iPhone4 OWN: Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

private
Default Ice Cream Sandwich NOT coming to d3

Amazon wireless posted this just now on FB Verizon Releases List Of Devices Getting Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich | TechCrunch

sponsored links
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Wow, that sucks. I thought it if the Bionic was getting it then surely the D3 would too.

Nevertheless, I'm sure some of the CM9 developers will appreciate it being released for the other Motorola phones anyways. Surely they can borrow some stuff...
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)

Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurple View Post
Read the original link: Ice Cream Sandwich Coming to Many Verizon Wireless Smartphones

Quote:
We will continue to update this list as additional details become available throughout the year. Also, follow @VZWNews on Twitter for additional upgrade announcements.
So, all that we know is that ICS is not scheduled to come to the D3 yet - exactly what we know before this announcement. It still may not come, but it still may.
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid 3, Kindle Fire, Motorola Droid

Sigh. Even if we do get it won't be till like q3/q4. Ridiculous.
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW D3 (rooted)

What this all boils down to is that while Moto/VZW are pi$$ing around with their specific manufacturer-carrier terms as well as if this phone can handle ICS (ironic), the dev's are busy at work making ROMs that'll be finalized before we get official ICS pushed to us (if at all).
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

private

I sure hope that we get added down the road, but to be honest they picked the other Motorola's around us and not us. Awesome.
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox985 View Post
What this all boils down to is that while Moto/VZW are pi$$ing around with their specific manufacturer-carrier terms as well as if this phone can handle ICS (ironic), the dev's are busy at work making ROMs that'll be finalized before we get official ICS pushed to us (if at all).

It obviously works on D3 since I have been running an AOKP/ICS 4.0.3 Rom now that is 99% complete. Verizon just dragging their feet to get more people to upgrade!
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Everybody should check this Rom out its the best Rom I have found and its a 99% functional ICS Rom.
Motorola Driod 3 – AOKP – Downloads Hash-of-Codes
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevco23 View Post
Everybody should check this Rom out its the best Rom I have found and its a 99% functional ICS Rom.
Motorola Driod 3 AOKP Downloads Hash-of-Codes
I totally agree and have been on AOKP for at least a week or so now. If you can live without video recording, HDMI out, and panoramic mode, you can have ICS. So far, it hasn't failed me. I wanted pano once, so I switched back to Liberty with SafeStrap. I like AOKP much more than CM9.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

private

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevco23 View Post
if this made sense to me i'd do it but i have not a clue what to do with this lol!
sponsored links
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
if this made sense to me i'd do it but i have not a clue what to do with this lol!
It's just a ROM. Create a nandroid backup, boot into safe mode, flash the AOKP .zip file, wipe data, cache, and dalvik, flash the GApps .zip file, boot normally.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid 3, Kindle Fire, Motorola Droid

Exclamation

Well, somewhat positive:

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/56179-image/musa-1.png
The Following User Says Thank You to zr0hero For This Useful Post:
Shurple (March 19th, 2012)
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
The Link for the AOKP is down on his blog and I cant find it anywhere else will someone post a link that works so I can try this Rom out?
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomasheta View Post
The Link for the AOKP is down on his blog and I cant find it anywhere else will someone post a link that works so I can try this Rom out?
It's working for me, from here: Motorola Driod 3 – AOKP – Downloads Hash-of-Codes

The latest download is here: http://bit.ly/xYWeyS

(MD5 is e5b5ceaff1f00c7cfb6ae9a09d96e7f1)

[edit - Google apps are here: http://goo-inside.me/gapps ]
Last edited by doogald; March 15th, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

Slow down just a little, please. When I wipe all of that stuff, what do I end up with on my phone? Do I lose my contacts? Do I lose my pictures, music and other stuff? If so, how do I save them so I can add them back on to the phone? Thanks.
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Sell View Post
Slow down just a little, please. When I wipe all of that stuff, what do I end up with on my phone? Do I lose my contacts? Do I lose my pictures, music and other stuff? If so, how do I save them so I can add them back on to the phone? Thanks.
You end with a phone that believes that it has never been used.

If your contacts are synced with Google (or with Backup Assistant), they will be returned when you sync again for the first time. Pictures and music are always stored on internal memory of the external SD card, and these are not wiped, so they will remain. I'm not sure what you mean by "other stuff" - if you mean the data from third party apps, or text messages, or call logs - yes, you "lose" those. You'll also likely need to reinstall third party apps.

To get back third party apps and data, after rooting the phone but before using safestrap to swap the safe and non-safe systems, you can install the application Titanium Backup Pro (that's the market link) and (after starting it and allowing root access) do menu->batch->backup user apps and data. Then, after installing the custom ROM (and Google apps) and wiping data, after restarting and going through the setup, you can reinstall Titanium Backup Pro from the market and menu->batch->restore missing user apps and data. This will not get back system data like text messages and call logs, though there are ways to backup and restore them using standard market apps.
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

You can also backup system apps and data with Titanium Backup. You just have to selectively restore them, and not do "Restore all system data" as this would undo the wipe and really screw up the ROM.
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
You can also backup system apps and data with Titanium Backup. You just have to selectively restore them, and not do "Restore all system data" as this would undo the wipe and really screw up the ROM.
This should be true when going from a Blur based ROM to another, but I would worry about system data restore when going from stock or Steel Droid, say, to a CM9 based ROM. Titanium color codes the system data green and red; green is generally safer to restore on another ROM, but I would definitely Nandroid backup before attempting any system data restore in Titanium, just in case it's messed up.
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid IV

So no update for us, huh?

Bah!
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peccator View Post
So no update for us, huh?

Bah!
Quite frankly, I'd rather have an unlocked bootloader than Moto Blur'd ICS. The CM9/AOKP/Gummy ROMs are all far superior to anything Moto would push. Plus, unlocking the BL would allow the devs to make ICS even better, faster.
sponsored links
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, stock JellyBean rom, rooted and unlocked!

So what have we learned about the Droid 3 and ICS? I can think of a few I learned:

1) Never assume a device is going to get updated just because its newer and released close to the time of the next big Android version update.

2) Do *not* early adopt a device. Wait and be sure that it will be a flagship device because that is your best chance to stay current with updates. And in this, brand new, blog hyped, over-the-top-spec devices seem to be the ones that are flagships. Don't go with a "2" or "3" or "4" of a current name (aka Droid 2, Droid 3, etc.). Rather wait for the "new" name device.

3) If you are carrier loyal and the current Nexus device is available for your carrier, go with the Nexus for the best updating *and* dev support. It is the closest you will ever get to that feeling you had with the OG Droid.

These are my take aways that will *greatly* influence my next purchase. As it stands right now, unless Moto has the next Nexus, there ain't no way in hell they are getting another penny of my hard earned cash.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): GS4, Excite 7.7, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1
Carrier: VZW

Thanked 1,269 Times in 883 Posts

Absolutely lame the D3 is not getting it, especially since the Xperia Play is getting it. That device has less functional ram and flash, plus a weaker chipset.
Old April 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA

The only thing known with any certainty is that the Droid 3 isn't getting ICS anytime soon. It is NOT carved in stone that it isn't getting it. Verizon has not said that nor has Motorola. Droid 3 is still listed on the Moto site as being in eval and dev stage. It certainly doesn't say anywhere on the site that it isn't getting it....yet.
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

You know, at this point I'd be happy if they would just release the update they have been soak testing for the last month or so. You know, the 7.0 something update that a lot of rooted and rommed users are so happily running since, uh, before Christmas ?

The one that breaks root, requires rerooting using a newer exploit ?

I figure that is gonna be the last thing Verizon ever lets us see officially. After it releases in final form, and is rooted, and the roms adapt, well then we don't never have to worry about leaving the OTA update path again, I figure.

Be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another motorola phone with a locked bootloader.

Glenn
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
The only thing known with any certainty is that the Droid 3 isn't getting ICS anytime soon. It is NOT carved in stone that it isn't getting it. Verizon has not said that nor has Motorola. Droid 3 is still listed on the Moto site as being in eval and dev stage. It certainly doesn't say anywhere on the site that it isn't getting it....yet.
The ones that are listed ahead of the D3 don't finish releasing until Q3/Q4. Those are the ones that Moto already are working on. Do you really think, actually believe, that by 2013, that Moto will even care about the D3 anymore when people are already coming off contract? Let's be realistic here. They can't even get their most recent GB update out the door! It would be great if I had to eat my words here, but realistically, I do NOT see ICS coming to the D3...except through independent D3 devs and even the D3 devs aren't updating their roms these days.
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid RAZR MAXX by Motorola (current)

I just thought of something.

I have my highest doubts that the DROID 3 will receive the official update to ICS. However even if we have an ICS rom, that doesn't mean that official ICS is compatible with the D3.

The current ICS roms are being built with modules to work around the kernel. All the developers (including me) have been having to build our roms with things building around the unlocked bootloader, and the locked kernel.

The DROID 3 and the DROID Bionic are very similar phones (I own both, they are very similar). However the deal-breaking difference is that the D3 has 512MB of RAM in it and the Bionic has 1GB of RAM.

The software has to fit inside the space of RAM to where it won't lag the phone or cause anything bad to happen to the device. The internal storage and the RAM is used to hold the software. If you use too much RAM it can cause a lag to the device, and initially make the manufacturer look bad for releasing a slow update.

This is kind of the reasons I don't expect the D3 to get official ICS.

Also I saw where TI OMAP (the manufacturer of our 1Ghz Dual-Core processor) saw that it would be a pain in the ass to get official ICS on the phone. If the amount of RAM had been a bit bigger or had an increased amount, we may actually get it.

Anybody agree or disagree? Lol!
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

private

I totally get your point, but do all of the phones listed to get ICS have the same specs as the Bionic?
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z, Le Pan II
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Amen! I have no idea what this is saying and no idea how to repair damage if the download does not work on my phone??
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z, Le Pan II
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
It's just a ROM. Create a nandroid backup, boot into safe mode, flash the AOKP .zip file, wipe data, cache, and dalvik, flash the GApps .zip file, boot normally.
Thanks...Now if I understand, I flash the zork, make a zeebot, grow roses in safe mode, .%^$$#, then boot normally...

In short, you wrote in Klingon, not English.
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #30 (permalink)

Haha sorry! It's about flashing a custom ROM (/system partition of the phone). It only applies if you're rooted and have SafeStrap installed to flash the ROM to your device. Once in there, it would make more sense. You'd go to "Backup", "External SD", then decide whether or not you want to include your original system in the backup. To download the ROM, you'd want to CLICK HERE (direct DL link) and place this on your external SD card.

If you're interested in flashing it, many of us could go into step by step detail and save you hours upon hours of reading to learn and understand what's happening, but I originally wrote that for Shurple knowing he has since rooted and, IIRC, is set up with SafeStrap.
The Following User Says Thank You to redsox985 For This Useful Post:
James Sell (April 17th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidian1441 View Post
The DROID 3 and the DROID Bionic are very similar phones (I own both, they are very similar). However the deal-breaking difference is that the D3 has 512MB of RAM in it and the Bionic has 1GB of RAM.

The software has to fit inside the space of RAM to where it won't lag the phone or cause anything bad to happen to the device. The internal storage and the RAM is used to hold the software. If you use too much RAM it can cause a lag to the device, and initially make the manufacturer look bad for releasing a slow update.

This is kind of the reasons I don't expect the D3 to get official ICS.
The Nexus S is single core and 512 MB RAM and has an official ICS, so the hardware in the D3 shouldn't be the problem.

Quote:
Also I saw where TI OMAP (the manufacturer of our 1Ghz Dual-Core processor) saw that it would be a pain in the ass to get official ICS on the phone. If the amount of RAM had been a bit bigger or had an increased amount, we may actually get it.
The TI OMAP was the official processor build of ICS, as it is used by the Galaxy Nexus, so I'm not sure why the OMAP would be an issue compared with the Snapdragon in other phones getting ICS (Incredible 2).

I think whether or not the phone gets ICS depends on whether Motorola insists on the phone having its custom Blur-ish stuff on it, Verizon insists on crapware (either of which does make 512 MB RAM a problem) or if neither wants to bother upgrading the phone. I think it's still very possible that Blur customizations do not make 512 MB of RAM a problem, though.
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
The Nexus S is single core and 512 MB RAM and has an official ICS, so the hardware in the D3 shouldn't be the problem.

The TI OMAP was the official processor build of ICS, as it is used by the Galaxy Nexus, so I'm not sure why the OMAP would be an issue compared with the Snapdragon in other phones getting ICS (Incredible 2).

I think whether or not the phone gets ICS depends on whether Motorola insists on the phone having its custom Blur-ish stuff on it, Verizon insists on crapware (either of which does make 512 MB RAM a problem) or if neither wants to bother upgrading the phone. I think it's still very possible that Blur customizations do not make 512 MB of RAM a problem, though.
The D3 would *have* to incorporate MotoBloat so kiss that idea goodbye. Personally, I used to give a rip, but since going to Steel Droid, I am very happy with where my D3 sits. Its fast, lag free and sheds the bloat.

One thing I have to ask....what would everyone here gain if ICS was released today for the D3? Perfectly serious question. Now before you answer, keep in mind that MotoBloat would for sure be on the top of ICS (you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than if it wasn't) which is going to cover up just about any and all enhancements that Google made. Now, with just the core OS, what does ICS buy you on your phone? Do your current apps magically become cooler? Are you able to run apps you couldn't before (put aside Chrome in that argument)? What exactly does everyone think ICS will get them?

I am convinced that we all see the Nexus and think that is what it will be like. Well, to get that, well, you need a Nexus. Motorola will sandbag that interface so fast with blur that you won't even know you have ICS until you look at the about screen. Sadly, we don't have the OG Droid anymore Toto. The bootloader is locked and we will never see a true "Google Experience" that is bug free on this phone.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid 3

I have Motoblur ICS on my phone...yall aint get the update yet? Shout out to the dev who made this (hes in this thread)

Last edited by mtva24; April 19th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post
One thing I have to ask....what would everyone here gain if ICS was released today for the D3? Perfectly serious question. Now before you answer, keep in mind that MotoBloat would for sure be on the top of ICS (you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than if it wasn't) which is going to cover up just about any and all enhancements that Google made. Now, with just the core OS, what does ICS buy you on your phone? Do your current apps magically become cooler? Are you able to run apps you couldn't before (put aside Chrome in that argument)? What exactly does everyone think ICS will get them?
Why should we put aside Chrome? Plus the new Boid twitter client looks interesting, plus the data controls (you can set apps to stop using data after a certain amount) which would be quite useful for people on data caps. The Gmail app on ICS is better than on GB. ICS has better support for multi-core processors than GB.

Going forward, there will be more and more apps that are ICS only, or enhanced for ICS.

There is also the ICS MTD storage model, so you can access storage and SD from both the phone and a PC at the same time.

Not sure if Moto will deliver it, but as-you-talk voice dictation looks much better than GB voice dictation.

The last I saw the rumored ICS for the Razr the Motorola customizations were pretty light, just as the D3's were lighter than the D2.

I'm actually quite pleased with GB on this phone, but I can see why people look forward to ICS.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:04 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtva24 View Post
I have Motoblur ICS on my phone...yall aint get the update yet? Shout out to the dev who made this (hes in this thread)
What's not working yet? Bugs?
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Why should we put aside Chrome? Plus the new Boid twitter client looks interesting, plus the data controls (you can set apps to stop using data after a certain amount) which would be quite useful for people on data caps. The Gmail app on ICS is better than on GB. ICS has better support for multi-core processors than GB.

Going forward, there will be more and more apps that are ICS only, or enhanced for ICS.
Maybe enhanced for the UI but ICS only, come on.

Quote:
There is also the ICS MTD storage model, so you can access storage and SD from both the phone and a PC at the same time.
Because you have your phone hooked up to your PC so much?

Quote:
Not sure if Moto will deliver it, but as-you-talk voice dictation looks much better than GB voice dictation. .
Moto can't deliver a freakin camera app that works right, how do you expect them to deliver on any other vaporware? I mean this is Motorola we're talking about here!!

Quote:
The last I saw the rumored ICS for the Razr the Motorola customizations were pretty light, just as the D3's were lighter than the D2.

I'm actually quite pleased with GB on this phone, but I can see why people look forward to ICS.
Looking forward to, and getting, are two different animals. My D3 was nearly useless with GB (lag, reboots, lag) until I went with Steel Droid and got rid of all the bloat. NOW my D3 rocks. Stock Moto GB, no thanks. The ability of Moto to go one step further and actually not botch up ICS? Heck, I'd rather stick with playing the lottery. My chances of getting something worth it is much better.

Yes, Motorola has turned me into a Motorola hater with the D3. From a camera app that take 13 seconds to launch and take a picture, to video capture that stutters, to lag, reboots and the complete slap in the face to D3 owners by Motorola by not fixing these glaring issues is enough for me not to trust anything that comes out of that place. You shouldn't have to root a phone and drop a custom rom on it to make it what it was advertised to be. Yes, I know, you and others probably are just fine and don't have any of these issues, and that's great for you. For many others, its reality...esp those poor people that don't know they can escape most of it by rooting.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
What confuses me is your build number... Where'd you get 6.9.888? Are you running the 4.0.4 + MotoBlur ROM?
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
What confuses me is your build number... Where'd you get 6.9.888? Are you running the 4.0.4 + MotoBlur ROM?
Yessir, flashed this last week, shit is dope.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:37 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
What's not working yet? Bugs?
Yeah this is a custom rom, the dev posted earlier in this thread. Videos in browser aren't working, and video camera isn't working
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah this is a custom rom, the dev posted earlier in this thread. Videos in browser aren't working, and video camera isn't working
These are expected in ICS. IIRC, he used a CM9 base and then added in the Blur launcher and widgets and whatnot to give it that look. Don't quote me though, as I've read too many threads to keep them all straight!

I'm still wondering where you got 6.9.888.
sponsored links
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
These are expected in ICS. IIRC, he used a CM9 base and then added in the Blur launcher and widgets and whatnot to give it that look. Don't quote me though, as I've read too many threads to keep them all straight!

I'm still wondering where you got 6.9.888.
it's the latest version (advanced beta # 1)...just go to the motoblur thread in xda
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
it's the latest version (advanced beta # 1)...just go to the motoblur thread in xda
Oh ok, I thought it was a leak you flashed.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh ok, I thought it was a leak you flashed.
na i was just joking
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
If only the video wasn't broken....though I guess there's not much to lose. Mine stutters when recording now anyway.
Last edited by MicroNix; April 24th, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
If only the video wasn't broken....though I guess there's not much to lose. Mine stutters when recording now anyway.
I read somewhere that someone has video kind of working on ICS for the DX, but I don't know how much that applies to us.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #46 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

private

I just don't understand flashing and roms. Im rooted but that's it
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #47 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA

Motorola has now updated the list of devices being upgraded to ICS. The Droid 3 is noted as "Will remain on Android 2.3".

So that's it. No ICS for Droid 3.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gato For This Useful Post:
CyberWinter (July 18th, 2012), doogald (May 18th, 2012), Shurple (May 18th, 2012)
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Motorola has now updated the list of devices being upgraded to ICS. The Droid 3 is noted as "Will remain on Android 2.3".

Saw that. I've stayed stock so far, but I am now thinking about rooting the phone. I may just run rooted stock (mostly to have Titanium there than anything else, but also to get rid of a few bloatware apps). If there was a great ROM to run I would, but there really doesn't appear to be anything great.

Anyway, this is slightly disappointing, though really ICS isn't *that* much better than GB at the moment. When there are more apps that are ICS or better it'll be more of an issue, I think.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Anyway, this is slightly disappointing, though really ICS isn't *that* much better than GB at the moment. When there are more apps that are ICS or better it'll be more of an issue, I think.
Also, ICS uses both cores - GB...not so much. Also, ICS uses graphics hardware acceleration - GB...not so much.

If it wasn't for the locked boot-loader, we would be at Droid4 ICS level performance already.

Verizon doesn't like the Droid3 because its 3G radio is hackable in such a way that Verizon cannot force D3 users to pay for their unlimited data twicce, is one way of looking at this.

Typed on my nice D3 keyboard...

Glenn
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:

It was pretty evident when it didn't make the initial list despite being released right around the Bionic. I am actually very happy with Steel Droid (GB 2.3.7) despite the dev not updating it anymore. Everything except HDMI out just works (BT included). I see my wife struggle with her stock D3 which was purchased the same day as mine and will be rooting and throwing Steel Droid on hers as well. These will be my last Moto devices though unless they get a Nexus. I want to go back to what I had with the OG Droid. Pure Google or bust.

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3