Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Notsure "Low Memory"

My Droid 3 is running on "low memory"! My RAM has only 32 MB free and 297 MB used. Whats the deal with this. I don't have many apps downloaded? How can I fix this? This is a non-rooted device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Case

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW D3 (rooted)

Is your device laggy? You could always download a task manager to force kill running apps, but this isn't a problem on Gingerbread, or even Froyo or Elclair IIRC, as they're better about running apps. Lastly, I would recommend getting AutoStarts, which I believe requires root access (may be a turn off?), but it prohibits apps from "auto-starting" when xyz occurs. For example, Handcent wanted to start every time I opened my camera, but this is unnecessary, so I was able to block it.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox985 View Post
Is your device laggy? You could always download a task manager to force kill running apps, but this isn't a problem on Gingerbread, or even Froyo or Elclair IIRC, as they're better about running apps. Lastly, I would recommend getting AutoStarts, which I believe requires root access (may be a turn off?), but it prohibits apps from "auto-starting" when xyz occurs. For example, Handcent wanted to start every time I opened my camera, but this is unnecessary, so I was able to block it.
Yes it is very laggy. Especially when running Temple Run or Angry Birds. I currently have a task manager running and its' auto-kill level is very high. I would prefer not to root my phone. Are there any other alternatives?
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Try getting rid of the task killer as that may be the issue oddly enough. The problem is that it may be killing things that should be running, and them constantly trying to restart are sucking up your RAM. Try disabling it for a day and see if that fixes anything.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Talking I went the root drive

I was having similar issues. I too was leary of rooting my device. I finally got frustrated enough to learn and deploy Root and change my firmware. It was really a lot easier than I thought thanks to the great posts on the ROOT forum.

The difference was remarkable. My phone is now super fast, great battery life, and looks pretty amazing. Got rid of all the MOTO CRAP and just have what I want on my device.

Best thing I ever did to my Droid
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One (M8), Le Pan II
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by martins00 View Post
I was having similar issues. I too was leary of rooting my device. I finally got frustrated enough to learn and deploy Root and change my firmware. It was really a lot easier than I thought thanks to the great posts on the ROOT forum.

The difference was remarkable. My phone is now super fast, great battery life, and looks pretty amazing. Got rid of all the MOTO CRAP and just have what I want on my device.

Best thing I ever did to my Droid
Under my contract I can buy a new phone in November...Rooting scare the daylights out of me BUT, If I can ghost my old phone onto a new one, then my old phone can be used to experiment and then the question becomes (assuming I do not destroy the phone), is a rooted Droid III better than a stock new whatever??

I really dislike having all the junk apps stuffed on my phone and have no idea which of them are really needed to keep the phone operating and which are simply Verizon's way of getting App developers to feed Verizon's profit margin.

In fact, what would be very useful for amateurs like me is a list of apps that come on the phone that are actually needed to operate the phone and which are junk added to pump Verizon's bottom line.
Last edited by JIMV; April 17th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMV View Post
Under my contract I can buy a new phone in November...Rooting scare the daylights out of me BUT, If I can ghost my old phone onto a new one, then my old phone can be used to experiment and then the question becomes (assuming I do not destroy the phone), is a rooted Droid III better than a stock new whatever??

I really dislike having all the junk apps stuffed on my phone and have no idea which of them are really needed to keep the phone operating and which are simply Verizon's way of getting App developers to feed Verizon's profit margin.

In fact, what would be very useful for amateurs like me is a list of apps that come on the phone that are actually needed to operate the phone and which are junk added to pump Verizon's bottom line.
Rooting is very simple, just a single click in fact. If you go poke around on in the root section, there are step by step guides on rooting and have been lists of safe-to-remove apps since the day we got root.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just my $0.02 but I was using "Advanced Task Killer". The agent at Verizon put it on my phone. It annihilated my phone. Mine was lagging terribly. If that's the task killer you're using, I would suggest getting rid of it. I use Go Task Manager now. But I rooted my phone. I never put in a custom ROM. I just stripped all the BS Verizon crap out of it. Try anything but ATK.

Don't judge how bad you're lagging with "Angry Birds" though. That is a HOG by any standard.
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid, Coby Kyros 7015

Cool

@ OP: Don't let rooting your phone scare you, it's actually quite simple. I've had all the Droid variants and rooted them all. With no real programming or computer experience. I would recommend reading up on it on this site, droidforums.net, and XDAdevelopers. A simple google search will kick up anything else you might need, it's easier and safer than you think. Good luck

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3