Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bob1230
  • 1 Post By MicroNix

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Ice Cream Sandwich?

Can you explain exactly what this is and does the droid 3 have it?

sponsored links
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

"Ice Cream Sandwich" is Google's cute nickname for Android operating system version 4.0

The Droid3 was made available mid July 2011, and at that time the latest Android operating system for phones was still Gingerbread, which was version 2.3, so that's what was running on the Droid3.

Ice Cream Sandwich was already known to be nearing release back in July 2011 and it was to be a major update for Android, so buyers like me were glad to hear that the new Droid3 would receive ICS soon after it was released and that the Droid3 had plenty good specs for running it. That never happened, and now we are told it never will.

ICS was released by Google on 19 October, 2011, and was "theoretically compatible" with any phone running Gingerbread, like the Droid3.

Instead of updating the Droid3 to ICS, as buyers had been led to expect, Verizon and Motorola put together another new phone, called the Droid4, which was mainly different in that it had a 4gLTE radio in it, instead of the D3's 3g radio. The Droid4 shipped after ICS was already released, in February 2012, but it still had only Gingerbread Android on it, not ICS. After months of impatient waiting, Droid4 owners were eventually told they would, someday, get an official OverTheAir update to ICS, though that has not happened yet, still. Droid3 owners were told they would not get ICS afterall.

The Droid3 is a great phone running a fairly stable, now, finally, version of Gingerbread, and that is pretty much what it always will be. Developer interest in the phone started off pretty strong, but has been stymied by a locked boot-loader and difficult to work with hardware drivers. So, there has never been, yet, a fully functional and stable independent ICS replacement for the Droid3, although there are some interesting and useful efforts if you want to get into them. I still run my Droid3 stock, which means Gingerbread.

My new phone is coming in early next week and it is a Google Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.04 on it (ICS). It will receive JellyBean, Android v4.1, someday, probably in 2012, we hope, unless Verizon blocks that like they did with ICS on the Droid3.

I believe the Droid3 is the only Motorola Droid phone that will never get a single Android system update. Great keyboard, though.
Last edited by glennj; June 30th, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to glennj For This Useful Post:
bob1230 (July 13th, 2012)
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

Um, am I reading this correctly?

Do we now have a relatively stable and useful version of Ice Cream Sandwich now running on the Droid 3 ?

[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich - 6-8-2012

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm not a power user (I've certainly never installed a custom ROM) but this does look useful.

Robert
Mayhem likes this.
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus 32GB. Nook Tablet w/CM10.
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1230 View Post

Do we now have a relatively stable and useful version of Ice Cream Sandwich now running on the Droid 3 ?

[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich - 6-8-2012

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm not a power user (I've certainly never installed a custom ROM) but this does look useful.

Robert
Although it's still in Beta, I may flash it.
"A free American means just this: individual freedom for all, rich or poor, or else this system of government we call democracy is only an expedient to enslave man to the machine and make him like it.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old July 4th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Well, not exactly.

Steel Droid is a wonderful ROM, but ICS sorta depends on having hardware acceleration via custom drivers for each type phone's unique hardware set. Since the Droid3 still has its bootloader locked, and because the Motorola drivers for the Droid3's hardware are not available for study, adaptation and incorporation into replacement ROMs (even Steel Droid), there are some issues with all the current ICS ROMs. Things like problems with Bluetooth and the camera and battery life are all part of fitting ICS into the Droid3. If the bootloader was unlockable a replacement kernel could be written and installed and things would be a lot better for us Droid3 owners. For now, though, the Droid3 is probably best used rooted and de-bloated with a Gingerbread or stock ROM.

Don't let any of this discourage you from using Steel Droid, there are many intrepid users that are delighted with it. It IS still a work in progress, though, so its best to use the SafeStrap system for it and keep a stock rooted (debloated) system installed as the protected "safe system. And make nandroid backups. and read lots before trying things blindly. and don't expect miracles. not until we can unlock the bootloader, anyway...

Glenn
The Following User Says Thank You to glennj For This Useful Post:
bob1230 (July 13th, 2012)
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Page Plus Cellular

Exclamation

Could we soon get Android Ice Cream Sandwich, or Jellybean, on the Droid 3? It finally looks like this may be possible :-)

Hash-of-Codes

- - - -
The author writes:

On June 11th, I wrote a semi-rant “Droid 3.. to be or not to be (ICS’d)”, and I discussed the exact reasons why I was “giving up” on ICS for the Droid 3. Many of you who follow me on twitter (@hashcode0f) have seen hints that something has changed in the Droid 3 world and are seeing words like “kexec” floating around. Here’s a review of some of the points I brought up in my earlier post and the counter point to what has changed since then....

...As of a week ago, I have a full CM9 build using a new 3.0 kernel which has been heavily modified to more closely resemble a stock kernel from TI. It’s using Jelly Bean ready graphics drivers. And has the code ready to load a 512MB memory mapped ducati binary enabling HD codecs and possibly camera. NOTE AGAIN: this ducati binary actually doesn’t currently exist. But, more on that later....In general, this build is encouraging as it demonstrates how close the Droid 3 is to being brought up-to-date with the other devices that I support (RAZR, Droid 4 and Bionic). And how well it cam run ICS and the Jelly Bean builds to come.
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, stock JellyBean rom, rooted and unlocked!

Quote:
Could we soon get Android Ice Cream Sandwich, or Jellybean, on the Droid 3? It finally looks like this may be possible :-)

Hash-of-Codes

- - - -
The author writes:
Holy #$%^!!!!!!!!!

This is a complete 180 from that rant he originally posted on the D3. Just read that whole release and all I can say is OUTSTANDING. Getting that far down into development and fixing more than one could ask for is just unreal. I'd donate well for a fully functioning Jelly Bean setup for the D3 without hesitation.
bob1230 likes this.
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi, just wondering if there is any update about getting ICS for a Droid3. Or, what is the best Rom to put for max battery and 3g tethering?
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (i545), Droid 3 (retired), Droid 1 (retired)

Heh, by the time jellybean goes on this thing, it'll be time for my upgrade in March. Let's see what new goodies are presented at CES.

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3