Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Should I do this?

Should I buy the D3 from my brother? It's under contract but he is going to quit paying it. So the phone will get locked. I can pay and get the unlock code. If I do that (through cellularunlocked.net) Could I use Page Plus or some other prepaid service for it? If so should I buy it?

Advertisements
Last edited by daveowns; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
sponsored links
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid 3
Carrier: Not Provided

You are confusing the term "unlocked". The D3 on Verizon is not locked to Verizon's CDMA 3G network. The phone is shipped from the factory to be used on Verizon's network. The GSM portion of the phone is locked, and is not programmed for use on the North American GSM carriers.

If your brother stops paying for his contract, and doesn't pay his required Early Termination Fee, the phone will be blacklisted for use on Verizon's network. The phone will become known as a "Bad ESN" or "Bad MEID" phone. Page Plus utilizes Verizon's service, so any phone blacklisted by Verizon CAN NOT be used on PagePlus.

There are other CDMA services that the phone can be used on (Cricket, Metro PCS for example), even when blacklisted by Verizon. The "Bad ESN" phone would need to be "flashed" (programmed) for use on Cricket or Metro PCS. You would have to pay someone to flash the phone.

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3