Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Droid3 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Confused Not typing in Messaging

So, has anyone else had an issue with the virtual AND physical keyboard not typing into text field in messaging? Sometimes if I back out to the home screen, turn the screen off, wait for a few minutes and go back into it, then it will work again. But nothing short of those steps, and most times it needs to be p-cycled, since the first fix only works 1 out of 5 times, I'd say.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.

Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northtower View Post
So, has anyone else had an issue with the virtual AND physical keyboard not typing into text field in messaging? Sometimes if I back out to the home screen, turn the screen off, wait for a few minutes and go back into it, then it will work again. But nothing short of those steps, and most times it needs to be p-cycled, since the first fix only works 1 out of 5 times, I'd say.
Yes, this did happen to me once. I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what I did to fix it - I have factory reset the phone several times since then.

There is an app called SMS Backup & Restore in the market. You could *try* installing that, tapping the button to remove all messages (which, in case it isn't obvious, will erase all of the text messages on your phone), and see if you had a bad message/corrupted data that caused the problem.
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I have this same problem. It used to happen about once a week, but recently it happens probably 60% of the time I go to answer a text. It is VERY VERY VERY annoying (especially when I need to answer a text that is an emergency or important [and I can't even go to call the person because of the problem described below]).

I've had this phone since August 2011. It worked great for a year, but for the past 10 months it has been awful. Slows down to a crawl, heats up, and I have the issue where I try to make a call and it takes 3 minutes for it to process it (and if i hit the call button in the mean time it will call the person twice).

Anyway, back to the topic in this thread. I have no idea how to fix it. I close the messaging app and reopen it, and that doesn't work. Normally I just get frustrated and put my phone down, and come back later to try and text the person back. I used Swiftkey for a while, and still had the issue. If anyone has a fix, please share it.

I can't wait to replace this phone. I'm looking at the Galaxy S4. I thought I would be able to get it by early May, but now Verizon isn't suppose to release it until May 30th, and that means I have to put up with my droid 3 for an extra month. Verizon and Motorola make my smart phone experience horrible.

I just can't wait to sell this thing (although I would feel bad for the person who buys it).

/endrant

--EDIT:

I orginally said it happens 60% of the time. But from the time i typed the original post to now (which was literally only a few minutes) I got 6 text messages all from different people. I could not reply to any of them. So I would raise that statistic to somewhere around 85%-90% of the time, it will not work properly.
Last edited by Maccabird; April 17th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.

Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,235 Posts

This just happened to me earlier this week when I was running the phone stock. One thing I can say is that I was in a low signal area and was receiving several messages at the time. I can also say that when running a custom ROM called Minimoto I *never* see this happen (though, of course, that proves nothing.)

For what that's worth...
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto Droid Razor Maxx HD - previously Droid 3, original Droid

I have the same problem(s). I thought it was related to the lack of available memory, so I have been trying out different memory booster/cleaners. They MIGHT help, but so far I haven't seen any real difference in the ability to type. (it isn't just messaging for me, but all typing)

I just did a factory reset 4 days ago, I did not re-loaded all the programs and kept the stock launcher, but I have already seen the problem reappear.

Craig
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X, Droid 3, Moto X

Same issue here, thought it was SMS Pop-up. But now I know it isn't. Another update to fix all the "little issues" that remain would be nice!

Motorola DROID 3
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Verizon Wireless will continue their fabled DROID line with the third-coming of their original Android Phone: the Motorola Droid. The Motorola DROID 3 will see some of the biggest changes to the series since its inception, with a dual-core processo... Read More

Tags
android, droid3, keyboard, message, messaging, root, rooted, text, text field, texting, typing

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 3