Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 14th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Question My Droid 4 keeps stalling when a message/notice is coming in

My Droid 4 keeps stalling when a message/notice is coming in.

Is there any way for the user to occupy a larger portion of the CPU when the user is actually using it? It's real pain when I can't continue to write an email or text just because a text/message/chat coming in is taking over the control of the CPU and for all intents and purposes the phone is frozen for the user.

sponsored links
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
My Droid 4 keeps stalling when a message/notice is coming in.

Is there any way for the user to occupy a larger portion of the CPU when the user is actually using it? It's real pain when I can't continue to write an email or text just because a text/message/chat coming in is taking over the control of the CPU and for all intents and purposes the phone is frozen for the user.
Hello New Daddy.

This "stalling" you're describing.. are you sure the system is slowing down or is the app of widget you are using at the time in need of configuration. Aslo, are your caches (the stuff you use most) full and in need of clearing? I'd do that first.

I'd also make sure no weather or social networking widget/app is set to update frequently; sometimes they'll all try at once or overlap each other in duties while their respective services fight for resources.

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Hello New Daddy.

This "stalling" you're describing.. are you sure the system is slowing down or is the app of widget you are using at the time in need of configuration.
It's definitely the whole system, not just the individual app that i was using. Once this phenomenon takes place, my phone freezes me out. I cannot do anything with the phone. I can't get out of the app I was using, nor does any of the hard keys work.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Daddy View Post
It's definitely the whole system, not just the individual app that i was using. Once this phenomenon takes place, my phone freezes me out. I cannot do anything with the phone. I can't get out of the app I was using, nor does any of the hard keys work.
Would you consider doing a factory data reset?

There are two methods described there (click "show"):

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Down in the park where the Machmen meet the machines and play 'kill by numbers'

Device(s): Moto X developer edition
Carrier: Over-priced stooopid Verizon

Mine has been freezing up lately too. I tried, to no avail, to figure out what was behind it all and finally zeroed in on Chrome (it would 'hang' a lot, then f/c). So, I stopped using it and that helped a lot. Now I use the stock browser and close it out instead of just backing out. No more freezing. I realize that doesn't make too much sense but it seems to have done the trick.

Motorola DROID 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Droid 4 will be the fourth entry into Verizon and Motorola's Droid lineup. Following in the footsteps of previous models, the phone will feature a slide-out five-row QWERTY keyboard (most resembling that of the Droid 3). Other spec... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid 4