Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid Bionic

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Fulltime Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the road
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default Events missing from Calendar - ICS

Since the ICS upgrade, I have been poking around to see if there are any problems on my Bionic. I just noticed that there are many events on my Google calendar that no longer show up in the Calendar app on the phone. All future events seem to be there, but there are many events in the past that are now gone from the Calendar app. Some are on days with other events that are still there, and some are on days in which they are the only event.

On edit: It appears that the only events still in the Calendar app prior to this month are recurring events.

I think I would have noticed this if it had been the case before the ICS upgrade.

Ideas?

__________________
Dave Rudisill
Fulltime RVer
Fulltime Traveler is offline  
Last edited by Fulltime Traveler; October 27th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime Traveler View Post
Since the ICS upgrade, I have been poking around to see if there are any problems on my Bionic. I just noticed that there are many events on my Google calendar that no longer show up in the Calendar app on the phone. All future events seem to be there, but there are many events in the past that are now gone from the Calendar app. Some are on days with other events that are still there, and some are on days in which they are the only event.

On edit: It appears that the only events still in the Calendar app prior to this month are recurring events.

I think I would have noticed this if it had been the case before the ICS upgrade.

Ideas?
This is standard Android calendar syncing behavior - when the calendar is first synced after a data wipe, it will only go back 1 month in the past (with the exception that you noted: recurring events in the past month with start dates earlier than one month ago.) As you continue to sync, those events will stay, but if you ever wipe the calendar data, the same thing will happen.

I don't think that there is any way to change this behavior.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doogald For This Useful Post:
Fulltime Traveler (October 28th, 2012)
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DanDroide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale Florida / Originally Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 544
 
Device(s): I love...love...love my S4!
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 438
Thanked 118 Times in 90 Posts
Default

This app/widget has helped me with syncing problems. I actually have the paid version:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=synker
__________________
Verizon Moto StarTak, Win Pocket PC, Palm Centro, Moto Droid OG, Moto Droid Bionic, Samsung Galaxy S4!
DanDroide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Fulltime Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the road
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
This is standard Android calendar syncing behavior - when the calendar is first synced after a data wipe, it will only go back 1 month in the past (with the exception that you noted: recurring events in the past month with start dates earlier than one month ago.) As you continue to sync, those events will stay, but if you ever wipe the calendar data, the same thing will happen.

I don't think that there is any way to change this behavior.
Thanks.

Do you know why that didn't happen when I first synced with my Google calendar, back when I bought the Bionic earlier this year? I'm wondering whether I could do something like remove that account from the phone then add it back in.
Fulltime Traveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime Traveler View Post
Thanks.

Do you know why that didn't happen when I first synced with my Google calendar, back when I bought the Bionic earlier this year? I'm wondering whether I could do something like remove that account from the phone then add it back in.
I'm not sure. I have had an android phone for three years now, and my last one was rooted and I flashed new ROMs frequently - and my calendar always came back with only one month of history. Again, I always thought that was standard android behavior.

At this point it won't hurt to try removing the account to see if it does the same thing. Of course if this is your first Google account on the phone you may not be able to remove it. However, on Gingerbread and earlier you could go into settings.applications.manage applications, find Calendar Storage and tap it, tap clear data and it would remove all calendar entries and induce a new sync. I'm not sure what the mechanism is for ICS.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Fulltime Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the road
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I'm not sure. I have had an android phone for three years now, and my last one was rooted and I flashed new ROMs frequently - and my calendar always came back with only one month of history. Again, I always thought that was standard android behavior.

At this point it won't hurt to try removing the account to see if it does the same thing. Of course if this is your first Google account on the phone you may not be able to remove it. However, on Gingerbread and earlier you could go into settings.applications.manage applications, find Calendar Storage and tap it, tap clear data and it would remove all calendar entries and induce a new sync. I'm not sure what the mechanism is for ICS.
Thanks for the suggestion. I cleared the calendar data, and it immediately did a new sync, but it still has nothing other than recurring appointments prior to September 27.

Sigh...
Fulltime Traveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime Traveler View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I cleared the calendar data, and it immediately did a new sync, but it still has nothing other than recurring appointments prior to September 27.

Sigh...

ah, did you update the calendar app in the Play Store to the latest and greatest?? ONLY the new app will give you one year of prior events!!
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Fulltime Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the road
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
ah, did you update the calendar app in the Play Store to the latest and greatest?? ONLY the new app will give you one year of prior events!!
I am using the Calendar app that came with ICS. It's version 4.0.4-29.

In the last couple hours I have found many reports of this problem, going back several years. (I guess I never noticed it until the ICS upgrade.) There have been at least two workarounds that work with other phones and/or versions of the Android OS, but so far none have worked on mine.

On edit: I see that others have reported over the years that after first importing their calendars into Google Calendar old events do show up on the phone. It's only after a data reset caused by updating the OS that they disappear.
Fulltime Traveler is offline  
Last edited by Fulltime Traveler; October 28th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Fulltime Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the road
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default I found the solution!

After plowing through hundreds of posts on this issue, including a couple of fixes that didn't work for me, I found one that did. It's here: Issue 3672 - android - Calendar app won't sync events older than 1 month - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

The part that worked are steps 1-10 in that post. Essentially, it involves exporting the Google calendar on the web, making a trivial change to the exported file using Wordpad, then re-importing that file. It takes about five minutes. After the first sync of the calendar, I now have eleven years worth of history at my finger-tips and searchable.

Huzzah!
Fulltime Traveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime Traveler View Post
I am using the Calendar app that came with ICS. It's version 4.0.4-29.

In the last couple hours I have found many reports of this problem, going back several years. (I guess I never noticed it until the ICS upgrade.) There have been at least two workarounds that work with other phones and/or versions of the Android OS, but so far none have worked on mine.

On edit: I see that others have reported over the years that after first importing their calendars into Google Calendar old events do show up on the phone. It's only after a data reset caused by updating the OS that they disappear.
that's the same version I have, which gives me ONE YEAR of events (going back).
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime Traveler View Post
After plowing through hundreds of posts on this issue, including a couple of fixes that didn't work for me, I found one that did. It's here: Issue 3672 - android - Calendar app won't sync events older than 1 month - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

The part that worked are steps 1-10 in that post. Essentially, it involves exporting the Google calendar on the web, making a trivial change to the exported file using Wordpad, then re-importing that file. It takes about five minutes. After the first sync of the calendar, I now have eleven years worth of history at my finger-tips and searchable.

Huzzah!
please explain "trivial". I tried editing the data but couldn't see any simple way to search/replace all the various strings that needed to be changed.
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Fulltime Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the road
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
please explain "trivial". I tried editing the data but couldn't see any simple way to search/replace all the various strings that needed to be changed.
You only need to change a single string. As he said, "Search the first non repeating event, some event that was created just to happen once in the beginning of your Web calendar from where you want to start syncing and CHANGE its SUMMARY: description slightly..."

I simply added an "x" to the SUMMARY description of an event from 2001, and that did the trick.

Later in that thread one user reported than changing the SUMMARY line in any non-recurring event is sufficient.
Fulltime Traveler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Will give it a try tomorrow
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime Traveler View Post
You only need to change a single string. As he said, "Search the first non repeating event, some event that was created just to happen once in the beginning of your Web calendar from where you want to start syncing and CHANGE its SUMMARY: description slightly..."

I simply added an "x" to the SUMMARY description of an event from 2001, and that did the trick.

Later in that thread one user reported than changing the SUMMARY line in any non-recurring event is sufficient.
\
So what am I missing? I edited a backup of my main calendar, adding an "x" to the text of a Summary item, near the beginning of the file (an event from 2010), saved it, imported it to a test calendar. it shows all the data on the web, but when synced to an android device, it only shows repeating events.

The calendar I created to test this out is obviously not my "main" or "primary" calendar. Looking at Calendar Settings on the web, it seems as though the first calendar created has different attributes than subsequent calendars. ie, we can't uncheck that calendar from the list, although it can be deleted. Does the process of fooling the sync process to Android, require that it be done on the "primary" calendar--ie it won't work on additional calendars?

can someone clarify the editing process a bit, as I can't imagine what I did wrong when editing?
dave1812 is offline  
Last edited by dave1812; October 29th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Fulltime Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: On the road
Posts: 129
 
Device(s): Droid Bionic
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
...Does the process of fooling the sync process to Android, require that it be done on the "primary" calendar--ie it won't work on additional calendars?

can someone clarify the editing process a bit, as I can't imagine what I did wrong when editing?
I only have one calendar, so I have no direct experience with your question. However, I see in the thread I cited earlier that another user used that solution to fix multiple calendars: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3672#c281
Fulltime Traveler is offline  
Last edited by Fulltime Traveler; October 29th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
\
So what am I missing? I edited a backup of my main calendar, adding an "x" to the text of a Summary item, near the beginning of the file (an event from 2010), saved it, imported it to a test calendar. it shows all the data on the web, but when synced to an android device, it only shows repeating events.

The calendar I created to test this out is obviously not my "main" or "primary" calendar. Looking at Calendar Settings on the web, it seems as though the first calendar created has different attributes than subsequent calendars. ie, we can't uncheck that calendar from the list, although it can be deleted. Does the process of fooling the sync process to Android, require that it be done on the "primary" calendar--ie it won't work on additional calendars?

can someone clarify the editing process a bit, as I can't imagine what I did wrong when editing?
Now, in that test calendar, go through the process to export that. Edit the earliest non-repeating event in the .ics file. (The items may or may not be in chronological order in the .ics file, so you may need to search for it.) Re-import that .ics file to the same calendar - do not create a new test calendar. See if this works.

If not, try the same for your primary calendar. (I'd make a copy of the .ics file so you can easily recreate the calendar, just in case.)

Just be aware - I believe that Google limits the number of syncs that you can make to a Google calendar, and too much of this may hit the sync limit and could cause your calendar to be unsyncable for a brief period of time.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Now, in that test calendar, go through the process to export that. Edit the earliest non-repeating event in the .ics file. (The items may or may not be in chronological order in the .ics file, so you may need to search for it.) Re-import that .ics file to the same calendar - do not create a new test calendar. See if this works.

If not, try the same for your primary calendar. (I'd make a copy of the .ics file so you can easily recreate the calendar, just in case.)

Just be aware - I believe that Google limits the number of syncs that you can make to a Google calendar, and too much of this may hit the sync limit and could cause your calendar to be unsyncable for a brief period of time.
When I export calendars on the google calendar>calendar settings>calendar page, the only calendar that exports is the primary calendar. there seems to be no option to export any other calendar. ie, when I view the ics file in notepad, when I search for CALNAME, the only one that shows up is the primary calendar.

am I missing something?
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

I tried the following, but it didn't work, because while the date was set to 2008, google calendar showed "no calendars".

"
1. From home screen hit menu and go to settings. 2. In settings go to Accounts and Sync 3. Turn off the background update and autosync. 4. Go back to main settings menu and go to Applications. 5. Go into manage applications. 6. Press menu button again and select Filter and then All. 7. Find Calendar and select it and delete all data (it will warn you about losing all files just hit OK). 8. Do the same for Calendar Storage. 9. Go back to main Settings menu and scroll down to Date and time. 10. Turn off Automatic and then set date to January 1st 2009 and hit set. (I tried to go all the way back to 2006 on my first try and it just kept rolling the date back to the current one) 11. Wait a second and make sure date remains set to the date you selected. Then select Date again and select your desired date (should be before first entry on calendar.) 12. For good measure I then shut the phone off and then powered it back up after about 5 minutes. (Don't know if it was necessary but I wasn't taking any chances this time.) 13. Go back into Settings menu and select Accounts and sync. 14. Select the Calendar to sync and then go into calendar to ensure its all there. 15. Once it is you can then safely turn on auto time and date again and let all apps auto update in background. "
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
When I export calendars on the google calendar>calendar settings>calendar page, the only calendar that exports is the primary calendar. there seems to be no option to export any other calendar. ie, when I view the ics file in notepad, when I search for CALNAME, the only one that shows up is the primary calendar.

am I missing something?
When I export the calendars, it creates a zip file (named with my gmail account name with ".ical.zip" added after.) When I unzip that file, there is a folder that has a single .ics file for each of the calendars on my account (in fact, I have 14, one reason why I would not bother to go through a step like this.)
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
When I export the calendars, it creates a zip file (named with my gmail account name with ".ical.zip" added after.) When I unzip that file, there is a folder that has a single .ics file for each of the calendars on my account (in fact, I have 14, one reason why I would not bother to go through a step like this.)

ah. DOH! I cant believe I missed that. because I had the file name column a bit narrow, i failed to notice a second file in the unzipped directory, that has an ICS extension. thanks.
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
When I export the calendars, it creates a zip file (named with my gmail account name with ".ical.zip" added after.) When I unzip that file, there is a folder that has a single .ics file for each of the calendars on my account (in fact, I have 14, one reason why I would not bother to go through a step like this.)
I'm going to try the edit thing again on the ICS and import it back into an empty primary calendar and see if that does the trick.
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
I'm going to try the edit thing again on the ICS and import it back into an empty primary calendar and see if that does the trick.
No, I think that the key procedure is to import into an *existing* primary calendar. It *changes* one of the earliest events in the calendar, somehow triggering the sync procedure to sync all events, not just 30 days back.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
I'm going to try the edit thing again on the ICS and import it back into an empty primary calendar and see if that does the trick.

holly crap, my primary calendar (empty) will not import any events (over 1000) even when I try to import an undoctored ICS file. it says that they have been imported before. wtf??

I created a new calendar and was able to sync all 1000+ events, but wth is going on with the primary calendar not accepting the data from the ICS file (undoctored), when it is empty? I tried empting / reimporting several times. no luck
dave1812 is offline  
Last edited by dave1812; October 29th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

this is the import error I get: (undoctored ICS file)

"
Processed 1142 events.
Successfully imported 0 events.
Failed to import events: Some of the events in this file were not imported because you had imported them to Google Calendar before. Other events in this file have been imported.."
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
this is the import error I get: (undoctored ICS file)

"
Processed 1142 events.
Successfully imported 0 events.
Failed to import events: Some of the events in this file were not imported because you had imported them to Google Calendar before. Other events in this file have been imported.."
That's precisely what you want. You want to change one of the earliest events in the .ics file. You want to keep all of the events in your Google calendar - do not delete them. You want to import the changed .ics file. You want Google calendar to not create a complete calendar of duplicate events - you want it to ignore the items that have not changed, recognize that one was never in your calendar, import that to the calendar.

In other words, follow this exact procedure, linked earlier by Fulltime Traveler: Issue 3672 - android - Calendar app won't sync events older than 1 month - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

According to that procedure, this will somehow signal to the Android sync agent to sync further back than 30 days.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
That's precisely what you want. You want to change one of the earliest events in the .ics file. You want to keep all of the events in your Google calendar - do not delete them. You want to import the changed .ics file. You want Google calendar to not create a complete calendar of duplicate events - you want it to ignore the items that have not changed, recognize that one was never in your calendar, import that to the calendar.

In other words, follow this exact procedure, linked earlier by Fulltime Traveler: Issue 3672 - android - Calendar app won't sync events older than 1 month - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

According to that procedure, this will somehow signal to the Android sync agent to sync further back than 30 days.
My problem is more fundamental. I can't get any of my exported ICS's to load back into my primary calendar. to heck with the issue with Android not holding data beyond a year. I want my primary calendar back to normal. it's empty. every time I try to import an ICS either from an export of itself, or an exported ICS from the "new calendar" (which holds all the events), I am met with the error I cut/pasted.

can u help me with that issue, and we'll forget about tinkering with the file so that Android calendars don't go back past a year

EDIT: WHEW!! I got my data back to the primary calendar. The solution was to edit the ICS file from the replacement calendars's exported ICS file in the following way: search/replace "UID:" with "UID:5". Go back to GC settings in the browser, and import that edited file. voila. no complaints about the data this time--it's all back.
dave1812 is offline  
Last edited by dave1812; October 29th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Now I have a new problem. on my Android devices, I can no longer see a year's worth of entries, other than reoccuring entries. IE, it's like I'm back to the older version of the Google Calendar app, which only shows 30 day's worth of previous entries.

this is true for both the primary and test calendars that I installed data from imports. the primary calendar has data from an imported file that had the "UID:" replaced with "UID:5", and the test calendar has data imported straight from an undoctored primary calendar ICS file.

I tried deleting calendar and calendar storage data and refreshing. I also can't see beyond 30 days for a shared calendar, which I haven't monkeyed with--my wife's calendar. Not sure if the one year feature that we got with the latest version of the calendar has been working with non-primary calendars or not...

any ideas, anyone??
dave1812 is offline  
Last edited by dave1812; October 29th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
any ideas, anyone??
Right, so now is the time to try the procedure linked above. I'd do the secondary calendar, not the primary.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
Right, so now is the time to try the procedure linked above. I'd do the secondary calendar, not the primary.
ok. i'll give it a try and report back (on secondary )
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Let me get this straight:

1. in the browser, ALL my events show, all the way back to 2008.
2. as of today (because of my messing around), android only shows the last 30 days, unlike how it showed a full year prior to my editing ics's/importing etc.

3. so, despite the browser showing ALL my events on both my primary and test calendars, if I import a modified ICS (editing a single occurence of Summary) into the test calendar, it won't duplicate ANYTHING, and will only cause Android to show events going way back?? that doesn't sound logical to me, so that's why I'm asking
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Let me get this straight:

1. in the browser, ALL my events show, all the way back to 2008.
2. as of today (because of my messing around), android only shows the last 30 days, unlike how it showed a full year prior to my editing ics's/importing etc.

3. so, despite the browser showing ALL my events on both my primary and test calendars, if I import a modified ICS (editing a single occurence of Summary) into the test calendar, it won't duplicate ANYTHING, and will only cause Android to show events going way back?? that doesn't sound logical to me, so that's why I'm asking
This is exactly what that post says. You created a test calendar - try it.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

OK, this is too weird. I just looked at my nexus 7 again and without me doing ANYTHING, I've got the entire years worth showing on my primary calendar (it was missing a few minutes ago). However, I'm still missing anything prior to 30 days on the Bionic. so...rather than mess with importing anything that's modified, into either of my calendars, I just need to get the bionic back to normal (I've already tried clearing data in calendar and storage, which i thought would fix this).

ideas? (it now seems as though I DON'T need to tinker with the ICS because my Nexus 7 has all the data i want/ expect.
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

on my bionic: i deleted my google account. set it back up. the calendar still doesn't go past 30 days, AND there are two colors showing on the calendar, but the secondary color on a day (in month mode), doesn't depict a viewable event. ONLY the primary calendar is being displayed. this is a new anomaly. i don't see any secondary (phantom events) colors on my nexus 7 calendar...

i figured out the secondary colors on the bionic are because I sometimes have more than one item on a day that doesn't have a set time--ie, if there are more than one event scheduled as all day, then the secondary color shows on the bionic.

so that leaves me with WHY does the bionic not sync back past 30 days, yet the nexus does?

I tried removing the google account again, clearing data for storage and calendar. no joy. still get just 30 days of entries.
dave1812 is offline  
Last edited by dave1812; October 29th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,564
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 490
Thanked 1,536 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
OK, this is too weird. I just looked at my nexus 7 again and without me doing ANYTHING, I've got the entire years worth showing on my primary calendar (it was missing a few minutes ago). However, I'm still missing anything prior to 30 days on the Bionic. so...rather than mess with importing anything that's modified, into either of my calendars, I just need to get the bionic back to normal (I've already tried clearing data in calendar and storage, which i thought would fix this).

ideas? (it now seems as though I DON'T need to tinker with the ICS because my Nexus 7 has all the data i want/ expect.
This is EXACTLY the problem that the OP was talking about - when you clear data from calendars in Android, when it resyncs it will ONLY RESYNC 30 DAYS WORTH OF HISTORY. Hence, that export, edit, and re-import trick.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
This is EXACTLY the problem that the OP was talking about - when you clear data from calendars in Android, when it resyncs it will ONLY RESYNC 30 DAYS WORTH OF HISTORY. Hence, that export, edit, and re-import trick.

PROBLEM SOLVED with the lack of early entries on Bionic. I recently did a reset because battery life sucked. For some CRAZY REASON, Google doesn't see fit to show outdated Calendar apps on the list of items in Play Store, so I didn't realize that I didn't have the LATEST VERSION of the Calendar! I just noticed that because the icon on my Nexus 7 has a turned up corner, and the icon on my bionic did not. I went to the play store and uploaded the newest calendar app. as soon as I did that, i've got tons of early entries now. going back to april 2009.

This is the only app from google (or any, for that matter) that didn't show it needed to be updated, in my personal experience.

I can now SEARCH the calendar on the bionic all the way back to april 2009 for non-repeating events. I can go back even further (not that it's useful) for repeating events.
dave1812 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dave1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 732
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Note 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Default

I've got one year on nexus 7. cleared calendar and storage data and refreshed. no change

i've got several years (cool!) on Bionic now--same calendar--my primary one.

any ideas how to get the nexus 7 to go back further than a year? got the same exact version of the calendar on both units. linked to the same calendar...

only thing I know is different for sure is bionic is ICS and N7 is Jelly Bean. hope that isn't the cause of the problem.
dave1812 is offline  
Last edited by dave1812; October 29th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Found the solution

Found this on another forum. Works like a charm. Go into google calendar on the web, click on settings, click the calendars link (in blue at the top left), click on export calendars (below the list of your calendar/calendars). They will all export as one zip file. Unzip the file after it downloads. Go back to calendar settings and import each file into the respective calendar (it breaks them into individual calendar files). This will not create duplicate events. Then sync your phone calendar and, voila, you back in bidness! Hit the "that was easy" button. Done!

So export, re-import, done.
mcluvin737 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola DROID BIONIC
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

When the Motorola Droid Bionic was first announced at CES 2011, it featured a 4.3-inch qHD display, NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor clocked at 1GHz, and support for Verizon's 4G LTE high-speed network. After the handset was delayed, Motorola... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid Bionic
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.