Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid Maxx

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 404
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Default Will moto skip or bluetooth safe zones unlock the Droid maxx?

The most interesting feature of the motox fo me is the nfc and bluetooth bypass of phone pins.

In this way you can keep your phone secure but also avoid the hassle of typing in your password a million times.


I am assuming that both of these features work with the droid maxx. Can one of you lucky owners confirm this?

THanks!

Advertisements
Germwise is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Guide Member
 
Thom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Keene, NH USA
Posts: 7,188
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx (2013) 4.4.4, Droid Bionic (2011) 4.1.2, Droid X (2010) 2.3.4
Carrier: vzw

Thanks: 2,033
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,659 Posts
Default

The bypass option is there. I have no way to test it for you to validate that it does in fact work. (No Bluetooth device.)

... Thom
__________________



Thom is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
speede541's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): MAXXX
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 325
Thanked 169 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Yes, the Bluetooth "trusted device" keep phone unlocked feature IS present in the Maxx, I've been taking advantage of it extensively (with a BT USB dongle plugged in to a work PC for no other useful reason but this), and it's Fabulous!
__________________
Thbbft!
speede541 is offline  
Last edited by speede541; August 24th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede541 For This Useful Post:
Thom (August 24th, 2013)
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,804
 
Device(s): Moto Droid Maxx (2013-), Moto Droid 3 (2011-2013), HTC Droid Eris (2009-2011) Also, an iPad 3rd gen.
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 520
Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,240 Posts
Default

I have a pebble watch that I rarely use (I really only use it while driving, to see if a call or text is worth stopping for, and which I forget to wear while driving most of the time now.) I may start using it for this purpose, though; to keep the phone locked if I lose it but unlocked if it is with me.
doogald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 404
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Default

great news! thanks for the info. Now to see whether we will have an unlocked bootloader....

If that is the case I see no reason for getting the X over the max.
Germwise is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
speede541's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): MAXXX
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 325
Thanked 169 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
I have a pebble watch that I rarely use...I may start using it for this purpose,
After not wearing watches since carrying my first cell phone, I'm thinking the same. May have to hold out a few months to see what watches are coming from Google, Samsung, and LG.

Heck, I'd even be open to a Bluetooth connected belt buckle!
speede541 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I wish my Bluetooth FitBit could function as a safe zone. It's perfect for that. I wear 24/7 unless bathing/swimming and it's low power BT LE.

I've been playing around with Tasker's security plug in features to disable PIN when near my home's Wi-Fi, but it doesn't really turn off the pin, it sets the pin to blank, which means you still have to hit the enter key on the phone's unlock screen when trying to use the Okay, Google Now tool.
distortedloop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 107
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I've been using an app called "Unlock with Wifi" for years, which provides the same functionality, btw. If anyone reading this thread wants to have a phone which is locked when you leave home, but unlocked when you are at home, at work, etc., this app works great.
andy88488 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy88488 For This Useful Post:
OutOfPhase (August 26th, 2013)
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 10 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 7 2012
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I use my Pebble watch and car stereo to great effect with my Droid Maxx. Sadly, since encrypting it, almost every dark screen demands my pin number.
svzurich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 3
 
Device(s): Droid Maxx, Nexus 10 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 7 2012
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzurich View Post
I use my Pebble watch and car stereo to great effect with my Droid Maxx. Sadly, since encrypting it, almost every dark screen demands my pin number.
I discovered how to fix this issue. Encrypting the device seems to have broken that pairings so that it showed it would still unlock, but didn't. Deleting the pairing and reestablishing it after encryption fixed them Trusted Device unlocking issue.
svzurich is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 28th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
speede541's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): MAXXX
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 325
Thanked 169 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88488 View Post
I've been using an app called "Unlock with Wifi" for years, which provides the same functionality, btw. If anyone reading this thread wants to have a phone which is locked when you leave home, but unlocked when you are at home, at work, etc., this app works great.
I downloaded and tried this app.

So, it works with the Maxx, but...

It forces the use of a PIN unlock. No pattern allowed. No face unlock.

And it also locked me out of my phone! Don't know what happened, but I got my PIN all set, verified, then... blam. Couldn't get in. Tried, tried again. 30 second time out, tried a few more times and the dang thing finally took. Went in to uninstall it (because I suddenly didn't trust it), and had the same problem a few times before accepting my PIN.

I don't know what happened -- the installation went fine and I'm certain there was no typo. The app takes over the PIN handling, so I presume there was some problem with communication between the app and the phone's OS. I'll be relieved if the developer finds there's a fixable bug that caused this, because there's absolutely no way I typed the wrong 4-digit numerical PIN that many times.

Oh yeah, but other than that it works.
speede541 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
18t
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 144
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedloop View Post
I wish my Bluetooth FitBit could function as a safe zone. It's perfect for that. I wear 24/7 unless bathing/swimming and it's low power BT LE.

I've been playing around with Tasker's security plug in features to disable PIN when near my home's Wi-Fi, but it doesn't really turn off the pin, it sets the pin to blank, which means you still have to hit the enter key on the phone's unlock screen when trying to use the Okay, Google Now tool.
If you download security settings app and use it as a plug in on tasker you shouldn't have this issue. Atleast I don't
18t is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 18t For This Useful Post:
distortedloop (August 28th, 2013)
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
speede541's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): MAXXX
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 325
Thanked 169 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germwise View Post
General Will moto skip or bluetooth safe zones unlock the Droid maxx
One thing I meant to mention re: your question in the subject line (just for clarification -- I'm guessing you already know this) is that the trusted Bluetooth doesn't actually unlock the phone -- you'll have to unlock it the first time (or any time after you break contact), then after that, it remains unlocked.

In other words, I couldn't take your locked phone, then walk near your car when you turn your Bluetooth speakerphone on in order to gain access.
speede541 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede541 For This Useful Post:
doogald (August 28th, 2013)
Old August 28th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18t View Post
If you download security settings app and use it as a plug in on tasker you shouldn't have this issue. Atleast I don't
Yeah, I'd done that after posting. It was the difference between pin and keyguard

Still is very flakey. I understand keyguard works much better with root.

Oh well.
distortedloop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 107
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede541 View Post
I downloaded and tried this app.

So, it works with the Maxx, but...

It forces the use of a PIN unlock. No pattern allowed. No face unlock.

And it also locked me out of my phone! Don't know what happened, but I got my PIN all set, verified, then... blam. Couldn't get in. Tried, tried again. 30 second time out, tried a few more times and the dang thing finally took. Went in to uninstall it (because I suddenly didn't trust it), and had the same problem a few times before accepting my PIN.

I don't know what happened -- the installation went fine and I'm certain there was no typo. The app takes over the PIN handling, so I presume there was some problem with communication between the app and the phone's OS. I'll be relieved if the developer finds there's a fixable bug that caused this, because there's absolutely no way I typed the wrong 4-digit numerical PIN that many times.

Oh yeah, but other than that it works.
Sorry you had a bad experience. I don't think I had a PIN set prior to using this app. Maybe that's the difference? I discarded Pattern Unlock pretty quickly, because it struck me that you could just follow the finger smears and figure out the pattern. Never played with Facial Unlock.
andy88488 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
speede541's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): MAXXX
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 325
Thanked 169 Times in 114 Posts
Default

I didn't have a PIN set yet, either. Really scared the crap out of me -- I had just finished setting up my phone and didn't relish having to wipe it and begin all over. But eventually it took and I got back in Totally weird.

Oh, and off topic, but facial unlock is crazy fast on this phone vs. the Gnex. I'm using it A LOT. I'm going to miss it when Fox Fi gets to working with this phone, because the VPN access only allows pattern or PIN.
speede541 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola DROID Maxx
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

If good battery life is what you want, you can't go wrong with the Motorola DROID Maxx. This device comes with a 3,500 mAh battery and is said to have a stunning 48-hour battery life.  Specs include a 1.7 GHz dual-core processor, 2 GB of... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid Maxx
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.