Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default Anyway to toggle GPS when opening maps?

Was wondering if there is a way to auto toggle on GPS when I open google maps. Then auto toggle off when maps is closed. I've tried a market GPS toggle app that wasn't very reliable. I did not see a smart actions for this. It seems a no brainer. Leaving GPS on all the time drains battery faster in my experience. I need google maps for directions only occasionally, so this would be a great feature. Depending on which home launcher I happen to be using it's not always possible to place the "location" functions button on the screen. It would be so cool and not to mention practical to have GPS activate when google maps is opened. I hope I didn't miss something stupidly obvious, but?? What's everybody else doing?

Advertisements
cbreze is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Yorkshire, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 9
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I personally use tasker for this, and other things. It would be an expensive solution if this is all you want it for though
DeadBeginning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBeginning View Post
I personally use tasker for this, and other things. It would be an expensive solution if this is all you want it for though
Thanks for the response DB. I looked at tasker before without buying and it seemed a tad complicated. I'm going to give it another look. I don't mind a learning curve so much if the pay off is worth it. With all the stellar user reviews it has it sounds like a it's a winner for all it can do. If you don't mind could you post a few of the things you use it for. TIA
cbreze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Yorkshire, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 81
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 9
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

There is so much you can do.

I use it to set night modes where it suppresses sound and notifications except for certain people.

Setting volumes on an app to app basis.

Similar to the gps idea I use it for automatically rotate.

I don't use it, but you could essentially create your own " juice defender " style app

There is so much it's difficult to list, the Tasker sites has some profiles to look at, or this post is helpful: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/158265-what-tasker-profiles-everyone-using.html
DeadBeginning is offline  
Last edited by DeadBeginning; March 2nd, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadBeginning For This Useful Post:
cbreze (March 2nd, 2012)
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 566
 
Device(s): Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, Samsung Galaxy S3 (32g), Asus Transformer Prime 32g.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 116 Times in 94 Posts
Default

I leave teh GPS set to "On" in the settings, and it only operates (turns on) when I open the Map aplication that came with the phone. When I close it, the GPS turns off automaticly.
chris4x4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris4x4 For This Useful Post:
cbreze (March 2nd, 2012)
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I leave teh GPS set to "On" in the settings, and it only operates (turns on) when I open the Map aplication that came with the phone. When I close it, the GPS turns off automaticly.
Thanks for that info, but curious which of the 3 GPS options is enabled? Google, stand alone or verizon with the map application your using.
cbreze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadBeginning View Post
There is so much you can do.

I use it to set night modes where it suppresses sound and notifications except for certain people.

Setting volumes on an app to app basis.

Similar to the gps idea I use it for automatically rotate.

I don't use it, but you could essentially create your own " juice defender " style app

There is so much it's difficult to list, the Tasker sites has some profiles to look at, or this post is helpful: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/158265-what-tasker-profiles-everyone-using.html
Thanks for the info, I went ahead and got the app, but am struggling now with setting stuff up. The wiki is pretty outdated and not much help over all, the help info with in the app itself is definitly not written with the novice in mind. Figuring this out(trial&error)should keep me busy for awhile.
cbreze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 566
 
Device(s): Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, Samsung Galaxy S3 (32g), Asus Transformer Prime 32g.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 116 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
Thanks for that info, but curious which of the 3 GPS options is enabled? Google, stand alone or verizon with the map application your using.
I just keep the Stand alone one on. I checked my running apps and stuff, and it shows that its not running. When I view the map, it turns on, finds my location, and does its thing. Then, when I close the app, it turns off again. Works pretty good.
chris4x4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I just keep the Stand alone one on. I checked my running apps and stuff, and it shows that its not running. When I view the map, it turns on, finds my location, and does its thing. Then, when I close the app, it turns off again. Works pretty good.
Must be the difference in the maps we're using. I'm on google which is 3rd party, then your using the navigation maps that came with the phone, right? I may have froze that, Gonna check.
EDIT: When I click on "navigation" it takes me to google maps. From there I need to go into location settings and enable stand alone GPS then when I exit out of google maps I have to uncheck the GPS in location settings or it stays on. I'll figure this dang tasker app out if it's the last thing I do. No worries
cbreze is offline  
Last edited by cbreze; March 2nd, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 566
 
Device(s): Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, Samsung Galaxy S3 (32g), Asus Transformer Prime 32g.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 116 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
Must be the difference in the maps we're using. I'm on google which is 3rd party, then your using the navigation maps that came with the phone, right? I may have froze that, Gonna check.
EDIT: When I click on "navigation" it takes me to google maps. From there I need to go into location settings and enable stand alone GPS then when I exit out of google maps I have to uncheck the GPS in location settings or it stays on. I'll figure this dang tasker app out if it's the last thing I do. No worries
I'm guessing your phone is rooted? Mine isn't, so that might be the difference.
chris4x4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wouldn't this be a good example of where Smart Actions could be used? They come with Razr, Razr MAXX, and Droid 4. I thought they were made for things like this...
clavarnway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
Wouldn't this be a good example of where Smart Actions could be used? They come with Razr, Razr MAXX, and Droid 4. I thought they were made for things like this...
Smart actions was the first place I looked, seems so appropriate a function for that feature. In an above post a non-rooted user says he has no issue and this happens automatically. Being rooted is perhaps an issue, although I don't recall this working pre-root for me either. Not a huge issue, just trying to be more efficient.
cbreze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY & Florida
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I leave teh GPS set to "On" in the settings, and it only operates (turns on) when I open the Map aplication that came with the phone. When I close it, the GPS turns off automaticly.
You are grossly mistaken. You may see the GPS notification disapear at the top of the phone's screen but check your settings at Location and Security and you will see Standalone GPS is active/on and does not toggle off when you close Maps.
BillArf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,573
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 534
Thanked 830 Times in 550 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I just keep the Stand alone one on. I checked my running apps and stuff, and it shows that its not running. When I view the map, it turns on, finds my location, and does its thing. Then, when I close the app, it turns off again. Works pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
You are grossly mistaken. You may see the GPS notification disapear at the top of the phone's screen but check your settings at Location and Security and you will see Standalone GPS is active/on and does not toggle off when you close Maps.
I agree with both of you.

Chris is right in that you can leave the GPS toggle on, and apps that need GPS will use it. If not actively in use by an app, the GPS is not drawing power from the phone. (or if it does it draws so little power that I don't see a difference in turning it off)

Bill is right in that the toggle always remains 'on'. But unless you see the GPS icon in the notifications bar, it's not actively being used.
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY & Florida
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhotovec View Post
I agree with both of you.

Chris is right in that you can leave the GPS toggle on, and apps that need GPS will use it. If not actively in use by an app, the GPS is not drawing power from the phone. (or if it does it draws so little power that I don't see a difference in turning it off)

Bill is right in that the toggle always remains 'on'. But unless you see the GPS icon in the notifications bar, it's not actively being used.
Well, no way would I leave the Standalone GPS toggled on all the time. IF GPS is toggle on and even if not actively being used by an app it is in fact using some power.

I use Smart Action rules to turn on Standalone GPS and turn it off. A couple of examples... when I get in my car and head down the driveway, I have a rule that turns on my Bluetooth when I get to the end of my driveway (location)... now, when my Maxx, Bluetooth connects with my car then automatically the GPS is turned on and WiFi is turned off.
BillArf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 566
 
Device(s): Motorola RAZR MAXX HD, Samsung Galaxy S3 (32g), Asus Transformer Prime 32g.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 116 Times in 94 Posts
Default

I have left the gps turned on for 4 days now. The only time it shows that it's being used is when I'm using navigation or the maps application. I'm not seeing any decrease in battery life leaving it on verses toggling it on when using navigation.
chris4x4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,635
 
Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 290
Thanked 595 Times in 411 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
Well, no way would I leave the Standalone GPS toggled on all the time. IF GPS is toggle on and even if not actively being used by an app it is in fact using some power.
You are just plain wrong here. All that checkbox does is let android turn on the gps and use that if an app calls for a precise location. Thats it. So unless an app calls for a location, there is no effect what so ever.
euph_22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I tried leaving GPS on all the time and saw my battery level drawdown faster. I know it's supposedly not to go down by much but it seemed to be enough to be significant. The reason for my original question and this thread was to hopefully find a toggle option, and automatic if possible. I don't need it more than once in a while(GPS) and don't like the idea of it being toggled on constantly. The GPS toggle on the market is a pos and to unreliable. A smart action would be nice tho. Good info everybody BTW, thanks. Some homescreen launchers allow you to put a settings shortcut on the screen that takes you right to "location settings". On another android device I had it worked well. Wasn't a moto. Almost as good as a straight toggle tho.
cbreze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,635
 
Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 290
Thanked 595 Times in 411 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
I tried leaving GPS on all the time and saw my battery level drawdown faster. I know it's supposedly not to go down by much but it seemed to be enough to be significant. The reason for my original question and this thread was to hopefully find a toggle option, and automatic if possible. I don't need it more than once in a while(GPS) and don't like the idea of it being toggled on constantly. The GPS toggle on the market is a pos and to unreliable. A smart action would be nice tho. Good info everybody BTW, thanks. Some homescreen launchers allow you to put a settings shortcut on the screen that takes you right to "location settings". On another android device I had it worked well. Wasn't a moto. Almost as good as a straight toggle tho.
There as stock GPS toggle widget. It's listed as "Toggle: widget" in the widgets list. Their is also a GPS toggle on the "Toggle: power control" widget.

And that drain means an app is probably calling for the location more than it needs to.
euph_22 is offline  
Last edited by euph_22; March 5th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euph_22 For This Useful Post:
cbreze (March 5th, 2012), Podivin (March 5th, 2012)
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY & Florida
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by euph_22 View Post
You are just plain wrong here. All that checkbox does is let android turn on the gps and use that if an app calls for a precise location. Thats it. So unless an app calls for a location, there is no effect what so ever.
I have nothing to support my feeling the GPS uses some power if turned on even if it is not actively being used by an app.. I could possibly be mistaken. Do you have anything to support what you are saying. Are you saying no power is used by the GPS if it is toggled on and not actively being used by an app. Are you discounting that an errant app could be accessing GPS unnecessarily and with this in mind it is not a good idea to leave the GPS toggled off unless you specifically want to use it? ............. I'm just trying to get some ideas..
BillArf is offline  
Last edited by BillArf; March 5th, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
cbreze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 425
 
Device(s): RazMaxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by euph_22 View Post
There as stock GPS toggle widget. It's listed as "Toggle: widget" in the widgets list. Their is also a GPS toggle on the "Toggle: power control" widget.

And that drain means an app is probably calling for the location more than it needs to.
Thanks euph, I somehow missed seeing that toggle widget for GPS. DOH!
That seems to work pretty well. This should do what I need with one extra press. Good enough!
cbreze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,635
 
Device(s): Droid Razr, BN Nook Color (running CM 7). Formerly Droid Incredible I and Samsung Behold II (POS).
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 290
Thanked 595 Times in 411 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
I have nothing to support my feeling the GPS uses some power if turned on even if it is not actively being used by an app.. I could possibly be mistaken. Do you have anything to support what you are saying. Are you saying no power is used by the GPS if it is toggled on and not actively being used by an app?
How LocationListener works in Android - android10
Quote:
When you enable the GPS on your Android phone, the GPS doesn’t immediately starts retrieving your location. No GPS icon will be shown in the title bar, unless a certain application (like Google Maps) triggers it to request a location.
That being said, you can have a situation where you have a poorly written or malfunctioning app that is calling for the location too often (like cbreze). However, that is pretty rare.
euph_22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to euph_22 For This Useful Post:
chris4x4 (March 5th, 2012)
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY & Florida
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Ok........... Thanks euph22. The info at the link you provided was very informative.
I will be less concerned from now on when I have GPS on. 8-)
BillArf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
Was wondering if there is a way to auto toggle on GPS when I open google maps. Then auto toggle off when maps is closed.
You can use the "Auto-Enable GPS for Maps" application, which switches both WiFi and GPS on when you launch Maps, Navigation, Local or Latitude, and restores them to their old state (e.g. switched off) when you quit these apps.

Google Play Store link: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duniti.mapsgps
Duniti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola DROID RAZR
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola RAZR was originally rumored as the "Sypder" or "Droid HD" and is now known as the DROID RAZR for Verizon Wireless. The device eatures a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED qHD display, 1.2GHZ dual-core processor, 8MP rear camera,... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.