Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By arparaspolo
  • 1 Post By urdaddi
  • 1 Post By RudyP
  • 1 Post By MasterGadgets
  • 2 Post By arparaspolo
  • 1 Post By vicente1

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
arparaspolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Covina, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 50 Posts
Default Headphone Jack wasn't working...My fix

Here is what was wrong. I would plug in my aux cable and it just didn't seem to click. It didn't sit in there right. And it wouldn't connect to my radio. Nor would it connect to headphones. I use my phone as an MP3 and a hands free device also through my radio. I also have speaker issues. Rattling when on high volume. So, I called VW and they are sending me out a phone. I looked into the hole with a flashlight and saw something that didn't look right in there. I straightened out a thin paper clip and swiped at it. Out flies a lint ball. My headphone jack now works as intended. My new(used) phone is on the way and will be here today. I am still going to take the replacement due to the speakers on my old one rattling.

I just wanted to post this find so that anyone who is having the same issue can resolve it themselves if they do not wish to exchange phones. If mine worked properly I would send back the replacement.
seVer likes this.

Advertisements
arparaspolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Florida
Posts: 186
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Razr Maxx - Great device! Droid Charge -yuck! Droid X was ruined by Moto GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 37
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I think sticking anything inside that hole is asking for some problem to happen.

Instead of actually poking something inside there where you may harm the phone, use a can of compressed air directed inside the hole. Works great.

It does not tak much lint to block the connection in the hole with the jack.
Padron26 likes this.
__________________
"Just when you think you have all the answers...they change the questions."
urdaddi is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to urdaddi For This Useful Post:
Padron26 (September 6th, 2012)
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Thank you!

Thank you so much!

I was convinced my head phones stopped working after upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich. I stumbled across your post and after reading it looked inside my head phone jack with a bright light and saw something that didn't look quite right. With some careful work with a dental pick I managed to get out several tinny pieces of yellow paper. (Candy wrapper maybe?) Probably would have been safer to use something nonconductive like a tooth pick and maybe turned the phone off but I figured head phone jacks should be impedance limited any way. Anyway my head phones work great now!

Thanks!
Rudy
Sharondippity likes this.
RudyP is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RudyP For This Useful Post:
Sharondippity (August 30th, 2012)
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterGadgets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Droid Razr
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdaddi View Post
I think sticking anything inside that hole is asking for some problem to happen.

Instead of actually poking something inside there where you may harm the phone, use a can of compressed air directed inside the hole. Works great.

It does not tak much lint to block the connection in the hole with the jack.
I would not use compressed air. Yes it would dislodge the lint [or whatever] from the jack, but it could just move the obstruction around inside the phone and where will it end up and what problems could it cause????
seVer likes this.
MasterGadgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx, IP5 64gb, IP4s 64gb, Ipad 3 64gb, Hp Elite 8760w, Hp Elite 8540p,
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdaddi View Post
I think sticking anything inside that hole is asking for some problem to happen.
Sorry i couldn't resist,
Padron26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
arparaspolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Covina, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Compressed air(which I have used in the past) pushes dust into places you don't want. Like the inside of the screen behind the glass. No bueno. As for the paper clip, make sure the phone is off, get a thin one and bend it just right and you won't damage anything in the hole. Just make sure you are gentle. haha
seVer and MasterGadgets like this.
arparaspolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

LINTGATE! Motorola, admit what you know!

For the last thirty years of my life I've been carrying devices with 3mm headphone jacks and nary a problem with "pocket" dust. Now suddenly I have a pocket dust issue, and lo and behold I find that there are dozens of other folks complaining about the same problem with the same phone? My we all have such dusty pockets, us RAZR owners.

My Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX is practically virgin. It's been either on my desk or my nightstand since I got it. The very first time I tried the headphones jack in an attempt to connect to my car audio system, it didn't work. So I know the jack wasn't abused.

After coming here, I decided to give it a shot and wouldn't you know it a rather sizable lint wad was mashed down in the jack. I took a long seamstress pin and carefully picked the lint ball out with the evening sun over my shoulder providing a guide light. It took a few minutes to get all the lint out, it was really wedged in there. This has to be remnant of the manufacturing process.

I demand satisfaction! At the very least a free "Another One Bites The Dust" ringtone.

One quick addition: canned air was not successful in dislodging this lint. I tried that before attempting the pin. No change. I was ready to assume that this meant that there was no lint in the hole, don't make that assumption. Mechanical removal seems to be necessary in some cases.
ritualdevice is offline  
Last edited by ritualdevice; September 12th, 2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Factual omission.
Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dust Bunnies

Thanks for all who posted on this. I went to Verison 4 times to see if someone knew about a switch or something that kept the earphones from working.
I looked down the hole and saw the white thing. I took a pin and bent a hook in the end. I pulled the battery and removed the white thing.
I have saved it for future reference. If it is pocket lint, then why is it so concentrated a bundled at the bottom of the hole. There are no signs of general lint in the phone. Is there some kind of electrostatic issue at the bottom of the hole? Is it something from a step in the manufacturing process? Is it a small vengeance of a disgruntled employee?
I will try to find someone at Motorola to look at the sample and see if anything turns up. I also made it very clear to the Verison folks that they need to add this problem to their set of fixit tricks. They were suggesting trading in the phone on earlier visits.
Meshmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
kingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 229
 
Device(s): droid X, moto bionic.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default

You pulled the battery huh
kingnut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
arparaspolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Covina, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnut View Post
You pulled the battery huh
Lol.
arparaspolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 145
 
Device(s): Droid X w/ Liberty3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

i was having intermittent issues with my headphone jack and finally took a look inside and sure enough there was lint at the bottom of the jack, got it out and problems solved. so weird.
Der Juicen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default thank you it's fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arparaspolo View Post
Here is what was wrong. I would plug in my aux cable and it just didn't seem to click. It didn't sit in there right. And it wouldn't connect to my radio. Nor would it connect to headphones. I use my phone as an MP3 and a hands free device also through my radio. I also have speaker issues. Rattling when on high volume. So, I called VW and they are sending me out a phone. I looked into the hole with a flashlight and saw something that didn't look right in there. I straightened out a thin paper clip and swiped at it. Out flies a lint ball. My headphone jack now works as intended. My new(used) phone is on the way and will be here today. I am still going to take the replacement due to the speakers on my old one rattling.

I just wanted to post this find so that anyone who is having the same issue can resolve it themselves if they do not wish to exchange phones. If mine worked properly I would send back the replacement.

i am so thankful.thanks to you now my headphone jack works.

what i did i grabbed a piece of those wrappers that people wrap wires with like rca and the like stripped it off and went around with that for my surprise 3 balls came out. i also turned off the phone so no damage was caused.

thanks also for your comment about not using the air can or can air because it pushes air behind the touch screen thank you very much again a have great day and pretty happy now.
vicente1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritualdevice View Post
LINTGATE! Motorola, admit what you know!

For the last thirty years of my life I've been carrying devices with 3mm headphone jacks and nary a problem with "pocket" dust. Now suddenly I have a pocket dust issue, and lo and behold I find that there are dozens of other folks complaining about the same problem with the same phone? My we all have such dusty pockets, us RAZR owners.

My Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX is practically virgin. It's been either on my desk or my nightstand since I got it. The very first time I tried the headphones jack in an attempt to connect to my car audio system, it didn't work. So I know the jack wasn't abused.

After coming here, I decided to give it a shot and wouldn't you know it a rather sizable lint wad was mashed down in the jack. I took a long seamstress pin and carefully picked the lint ball out with the evening sun over my shoulder providing a guide light. It took a few minutes to get all the lint out, it was really wedged in there. This has to be remnant of the manufacturing process.

I demand satisfaction! At the very least a free "Another One Bites The Dust" ringtone.

One quick addition: canned air was not successful in dislodging this lint. I tried that before attempting the pin. No change. I was ready to assume that this meant that there was no lint in the hole, don't make that assumption. Mechanical removal seems to be necessary in some cases.
funny joke about another one bites the dust and thanks i used your idea about using the sun light as a guide and it works just fine didn't use the can air because i read it was no good for this but trust me i was very close to using it.
Sharondippity likes this.
vicente1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surprised lol

Is it a small vengeance of a disgruntled employee?


it's a good theory also your comment is full of real facts about people on the stores not giving any help either they don't know most likely or they manufacteres tell them not to say anything that way they can fix it and charged for it or maybe they don't wanna deal with this anyway.

best place to come is always the forums.
vicente1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Had the same problem. I tried a pin to clean the headphone jack out but wasn't very successful. Next I took a pair of very narrow tweezers I found in my wife's make up drawer and used them to pull out a small ball of fuzz. The small tweezers worked great and so did the headphones.
lmo2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16
 
Device(s): Droid 3, Atrix 2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Actually, this isn't a Razr/Maxx issue. Same thing with my D3, and others have reported the same with theirs. Never had an issue with the OG, however. Canned air did absolutely nothing though -- had to go with the paper clip
fosterj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Bugly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,057
 
Device(s): RAZR JellyBean rooted Wife: LG intuition
Carrier: The Big Red Menace

Thanks: 122
Thanked 105 Times in 91 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Bugly
Default

Had a similar problem on my DX once, it was just the opposite, though. I wasn't able to get any sound out of the speaker, and after a little searching, I found a wad of lint was in the headphone jack and was keeping the contacts open as if it had a plug in it. Cleaning it made the problem go away.
My suggestion to those who are worried about this issue is to get a small piece of rubber or silicone (just large enough to fit in the hole, but not small enough to fall in) and cover the hole until needed. this keeps crud and small children from entering the jack.
A friend of mine uses a small square of blue "painter's tape" to cover his.
__________________
Got ants?
Posts by this member may contain any of the following:
Sarcasm, Dumb jokes, Not-so-snappy comebacks, Off color comments, And rarely; Good information...You have been warned.
Bugly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
kingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 229
 
Device(s): droid X, moto bionic.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Btw i used a toothpick and this worked great for me. Little ball of lint came out and my headphones now work.
kingnut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola DROID RAZR
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola RAZR was originally rumored as the "Sypder" or "Droid HD" and is now known as the DROID RAZR for Verizon Wireless. The device eatures a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED qHD display, 1.2GHZ dual-core processor, 8MP rear camera,... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.