Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelmar

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dark spots on my screen?

In the first week of June I got my Droid Razr and on the way home noticed dark lines and spots on the screen. They are really noticeable on a solid black screen.

I gave it a chance to resolve itself thinking perhaps the phone was just turned on and yadda yadda but after almost two months they are there.

It's not a huge deal but on a solid color you can notice these imperfections. Not sure what I can even do about it either. And ideas or heard of similar issues?

waynerbacks is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI
Posts: 1,154
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 173
Thanked 178 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Its common because of the glue used on the screen. You won't find a phone that doesn't have them, and verizon won't replace it because of them.
carracerz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carracerz14 For This Useful Post:
CooperLA1 (July 30th, 2012), Kelmar (July 30th, 2012)
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

That's not true. My buddy has a Razr and his looks great. Couldn't find a single flaw on the screen. Also I checked out a friend's Galaxy Note and her screen was perfect.

Verizon is sending me a new Razr as we speak. So you were incorrect on both points. No offense of course.
waynerbacks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI
Posts: 1,154
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 173
Thanked 178 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Well they wouldn't replace mine for that reason. And when I got it replaced for a different reason my new one had it also, it didn't at first but now I can see them. Still not as bad as it was. Chances are your new phone will have it. It's not a defect though.
carracerz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It's not happening on some other types of phones though. It's very annoying to be on a white screen with a hundred lines going through it.

They also told me the phone they are sending is stock ICS. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.
waynerbacks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 45
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Yea mine has plenty of dark spots on a black screen. I can also make out some stuck pixels although they are extremely small. I counted 9 but some are very faded.
justinf89 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI
Posts: 1,154
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 173
Thanked 178 Times in 147 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynerbacks View Post
It's not happening on some other types of phones though. It's very annoying to be on a white screen with a hundred lines going through it.

They also told me the phone they are sending is stock ICS. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.
You shouldn't be able to see them on a white screen, if you do then it's something else. The best way to check your screen is to open the camera, turn it to the front and out your finger over the lens so it's pitch black
carracerz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
You shouldn't be able to see them on a white screen, if you do then it's something else. The best way to check your screen is to open the camera, turn it to the front and out your finger over the lens so it's pitch black
I see something different on a white screen. At an angle I see stripes going down the screen when it's landscaped. When it's black there's spots and uneven lines going down the screen vertically.
waynerbacks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Done by choice
 
Kelmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,817
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,132
Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,658 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynerbacks View Post
That's not true. My buddy has a Razr and his looks great. Couldn't find a single flaw on the screen. Also I checked out a friend's Galaxy Note and her screen was perfect.

Verizon is sending me a new Razr as we speak. So you were incorrect on both points. No offense of course.
Actually, he is quite correct on both points (mostly).

This is known issue that Motorola has acknowledged. Regardless of my thoughts on the matter, they claim this to be "normal" as part of the manufacturing process. Not all phones/screens have this as all are developed and produced differently. Comparing this to the Note would, of course, yield different results. It sounds like your buddy got the ONE that doesn't have the issue.

That's awesome that VZW is sending a replacement. Unfortunately, it probably won't fix the "issue" (although I truly hope it does). You lucked out and got someone who was unfamiliar with the issue.

However, seeing then on a white screen is definitely NOT normal!!!
Kelmar is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelmar For This Useful Post:
carracerz14 (July 30th, 2012)
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Link me to Moto knowing of the issue. Google results nothing relative.

Also I'm sure my buddy doesn't have the ONE without the issue. That's just silly. Anyhow now I wonder if this is just a normal thing now considering I'm new to his tech.

None of you guys have any faint lines even if barely noticeable on a white screen?
waynerbacks is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI
Posts: 1,154
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 173
Thanked 178 Times in 147 Posts
Default

If they are barely noticeable then I'm pretty sure you're being nick picky, but no I don't have any I can see. But your original post and what you're saying now are two different things, the dark black spots on a black screen are part of OLED screen technology.

It's been well documented on many forums, and when I called verizon about it, they told me it was normal for the screen type because of the glue process and wouldn't send me a replacement.
carracerz14 is offline  
Last edited by carracerz14; July 30th, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Done by choice
 
Kelmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,817
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,132
Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,658 Posts
Default

You are referring to the ones that look (loosely) like this, right?





Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorola Owner's Forum
…The Droid RAZR display uses a new high efficiency OLED material. These screens may in some cases exhibit slightly darker regions, like you’ve noticed. Because the darker regions are only visible when viewing the black screen in a very dark environment, they will not interfere with general use. Most importantly, they don’t change over time and are typical for this generation of OLED material. They in no way indicate a problem or defective screen.
Unfortunately, I cannot seem to be able to link to the direct page....
Kelmar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah I found that thread. Motorola acting like this is not an issue or defect. This will be the last Moto anything I ever spend my money on. What a pathetic company to say the things they have said
Zero care for the customers.
waynerbacks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wolverine Lake, MI
Posts: 1,154
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 173
Thanked 178 Times in 147 Posts
Default

If it were a defect it wouldn't be on almost every screen.
It doesn't effect use. So no, it's not a defect.
carracerz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Done by choice
 
Kelmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 11,817
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,132
Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,658 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynerbacks View Post
Yeah I found that thread. Motorola acting like this is not an issue or defect. This will be the last Moto anything I ever spend my money on. What a pathetic company to say the things they have said
Zero care for the customers.
Well, it doesn't sound like anything we can say will change anything... but they can't change what is considered normal from manufacturing standpoint.

As consumers, it's up to us to research what we are buying and return it in a timely fashion if we are not satisfied with it.
MasterGadgets likes this.
Kelmar is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelmar For This Useful Post:
carracerz14 (July 30th, 2012)
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 170
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 20
Thanked 62 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Had the same thing on my Galaxy Nexus before...it was actually much more noticeable so doesn't bother me in the slightest now.
breynolds007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 01:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
arparaspolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Covina, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 50 Posts
Default

I have exchanged my MAXX for a L.N.R.D. because of the screen. Twice I think. I return my device for any reason at all. If I am not 100% satisfied, back it goes(after getting my refurb'd device that is) I pay out the A for my service. Better believe I am going to be satisfied lol.
arparaspolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Droid RAZR
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arparaspolo View Post
I have exchanged my MAXX for a L.N.R.D. because of the screen. Twice I think. I return my device for any reason at all. If I am not 100% satisfied, back it goes(after getting my refurb'd device that is) I pay out the A for my service. Better believe I am going to be satisfied lol.
Not sure what an lnrd stands for but I agree with you.
waynerbacks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 494
 
Device(s): Moto-X Dev Ed. Droid RAZR (retired) Nexus 10 wifi
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 72
Thanked 80 Times in 73 Posts
Default

my guess

Like New Refurbished Device
Grey1001 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Every RAZR I've seen has the spots,some worse than others. Even my buddies galaxy s2 has it.
Goirish3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

Motorola DROID RAZR
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola RAZR was originally rumored as the "Sypder" or "Droid HD" and is now known as the DROID RAZR for Verizon Wireless. The device eatures a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED qHD display, 1.2GHZ dual-core processor, 8MP rear camera,... Read More

Tags
dark, lines, screen, spots


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.