Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By OverByter
  • 1 Post By Grey1001

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Razr, HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Eligible for upgrade but will lose unlimited data...

I was one of the early adopters for the HTC Thunderbolt and got an unlimited 4g data plan. The phone quickly got a reputation for being a lemon. It actually worked fine for me the first year, but I eventually started having problems with the data connection. Took it to Verizon and they actually replaced the phone with a Droid Razr, free of charge!

So basically I've been grandfathered into a 4g unlimited data plan with the Droid Razr the last few months, and for the most part have had a good experience. But now, I'm eligible for an upgrade, and I'm pretty sure I lose the unlimited data plan if I upgrade.

Sooo my question to the forum is....

What phone would be worth paying $100-200 AND losing the unlimited data plan to upgrade to?

I've been using far more than 2 gigs of data a month, although I don't use wifi at all so using wifi may cut down on that somewhat. I'm also pretty happy with the Razr, I don't really see a need for 4 cores and I hear Jelly Bean is buttery smooth but ICS seems smooth enough. What feature would make you want to bite the bullet and upgrade? 720 or 1080 HD screen? More battery life? Wireless charging or NFC?

Advertisements
cyde01 is offline  
Last edited by cyde01; November 28th, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Slide Rule Guru
 
OverByter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G,Triumph CM7 TG=Reloaded, Intercept UD6, HTC Wildfire S HBOOT Unlocked w/s-off
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 403
Thanked 918 Times in 656 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to OverByter
Default

Like they say : if it ain't broke don't fix it. Why look elsewhere while you're happy with your current phone?
seVer and Bandera Fever like this.
OverByter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Razr, HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yeah I'm pretty happy with my current phone. The current crop of new phones look like a definite upgrade in the screen resolution and battery life department but not much else. My last upgrade I went from a 3g Windows Mobile 6 phone with a stylus to a 4g Android phone with all the bells and whistles of a modern touch screen OS with front facing camera for video calls etc etc so it was quite the upgrade and quite worth the money. I feel like I'm not gonna see such a drastic upgrade in phone technology like I did before anytime soon.
cyde01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Haslett, MI.
Posts: 22
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Just upgrade your Razr's battery to turn it into a Razr Maxx and you have half the upgrades now and still have your unlimited plan. The day I have to give up my unlimited plan is the day I either go pre-paid or go back to a flip phone.
msuguy71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY & Florida
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Default

No way would I do anything to jeopardize my old Verizon unlimited data plan. My Son (on my plan) wanted a new smart phone... he was eligible for an upgrade. We opted to just buy a new Razr Maxx on eBAY. End of story was Son got new phone and unlimited was not lost.
BillArf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
MasterGadgets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 152
 
Device(s): Droid Razr
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

If you are worried about Jelly Bean, just wait. We are supposed to be getting that upgrade [hoefully soon].
MasterGadgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Razr, HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuguy71 View Post
Just upgrade your Razr's battery to turn it into a Razr Maxx and you have half the upgrades now and still have your unlimited plan. The day I have to give up my unlimited plan is the day I either go pre-paid or go back to a flip phone.
how do i do that? lol razr's battery is not removable and razr maxx has a totally different body?

i guess my other question would be where do you guys see smartphones going from here? all i can imagine is incremental upgrades in the future as far as battery life, processor power, camera and screen image quality, etc etc. i can't really imagine any other revolutionary new features coming out that would make the razr obsolete. example: when i went to japan last year i rented an android phone for use over there that had a function my razr doesn't have, 3D screen and image capture. i honestly wasn't impressed by it.
cyde01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 517
 
Device(s): Moto-X Dev Ed. Droid RAZR (retired) Nexus 10 wifi
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 78
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
how do i do that? lol razr's battery is not removable and razr maxx has a totally different body?

i guess my other question would be where do you guys see smartphones going from here? all i can imagine is incremental upgrades in the future as far as battery life, processor power, camera and screen image quality, etc etc. i can't really imagine any other revolutionary new features coming out that would make the razr obsolete. example: when i went to japan last year i rented an android phone for use over there that had a function my razr doesn't have, 3D screen and image capture. i honestly wasn't impressed by it.
Check out this thread.

Razr to Razr Maxx conversion...anyone do it?
Sharondippity likes this.
Grey1001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
kingnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 229
 
Device(s): droid X, moto bionic.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Buy a used phone of ebay or craigslist. Keep unlimited. /thread
kingnut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 56
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Is this something new? I thought as long as you upgrade to a smartphone you keep ur unlimited data plan. The only way to lose it is to cancel or drop the data package
ZzFallen_AngelzZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzFallen_AngelzZ View Post
Is this something new? I thought as long as you upgrade to a smartphone you keep ur unlimited data plan. The only way to lose it is to cancel or drop the data package
Nope they ended even that. You aren't grandfathered in anymore. It's just they aren't going to modify the terms of your last contract... Yet. Once all the two year contracts with unlimited are up, Verizon can flip the switch at any time, and not a thing anyone can do about it.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
arparaspolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Covina, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 50 Posts
Default

You should go to the VW website and check to see if shared data is right for you. They ask you a few questions like how many phones, smart or regular, how many minutes, data, then give you a cost. You may find that you'll end up paying less because you don't use as much as you think. And you can get the phone you want at the subsidized price. Win win. Or you may find out that you would spend more on shared, which then you would go to craigslist or ebay(or any other place that sells phones) and purchase one there.
arparaspolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,961
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arparaspolo View Post
You should go to the VW website and check to see if shared data is right for you. They ask you a few questions like how many phones, smart or regular, how many minutes, data, then give you a cost. You may find that you'll end up paying less because you don't use as much as you think. And you can get the phone you want at the subsidized price. Win win. Or you may find out that you would spend more on shared, which then you would go to craigslist or ebay(or any other place that sells phones) and purchase one there.
Bingo. In fact, a VZW rep can tell you pretty quickly if the share plan will be beneficial or not. FYI, using 10+ GB a month means it isn't cheaper.
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Napalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 640
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3 Razr Maxx. Droid 4, Droid X,
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Yeah when you 2 years are up so is your unlimited data plan - they will put you on a tiered data plan on the next month.

Meanwhile - all doom and gloom aside. I added another device in September and in the process swapped to the new share everything system with tiered data. Actually saved me money as we don't blow out 6gb with 3 smartphones two used by women under 30.

(yes, sexist and ageist remarks but damned accurate - I use about 2/3 of a gb, they use the rest with ease)

So that said I still love my razr
__________________
Since Guns Kill People, Spoons Cause Diabetes.
Napalm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
arparaspolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Covina, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 410
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Yeah when you 2 years are up so is your unlimited data plan - they will put you on a tiered data plan on the next month.

Meanwhile - all doom and gloom aside. I added another device in September and in the process swapped to the new share everything system with tiered data. Actually saved me money as we don't blow out 6gb with 3 smartphones two used by women under 30.

(yes, sexist and ageist remarks but damned accurate - I use about 2/3 of a gb, they use the rest with ease)

So that said I still love my razr
I could be wrong but, to my understanding, the only way they switch your unlimited data to a tiered plan is when you do something to change your plan i.e. getting a new phone, adding a line. If your contract is up, and you do nothing, you are just month to month. If they tried to force you out of unlimited and into tiered, you could then just walk away without any repercussions. No fees or anything. They would lose a customer whom would say ef you I'm out!

But again, I could be wrong. It hasn't happened yet so I'm not sure the feeling, but anything is possible HAHA. jk.
arparaspolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Razr, HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hmm well if they do force me to switch to a tiered plan then i'm walking away from verizon. I heard t-mobile's gonna have an lte-advanced network once they finally roll it out, will probably switch to them once i'm ready to upgrade.
cyde01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Upstate NY & Florida
Posts: 112
 
Device(s): Razr Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Default

snipe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Yeah when you 2 years are up so is your unlimited data plan - they will put you on a tiered data plan on the next month.
Disregard the above info, it is incorrect!
BillArf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 166
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx, Motorola XYBoard 10.1, Samsung Droid Charge
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Basically you can get a new phone at a discounted rate and lose your unlimited data plan, or you can buy a phone wherever you want (Ebay, Craigslist, Verizon, etc.) and keep your unlimited data plan. Just know if you buy the new phone through Verizon, in order to keep your unlimited data plan you'll be paying full retail on the phone (ie. $700).
james98520 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Razr, HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well if i'm gonna pay full price for a phone i might as well go prepaid and save on the monthly bill. Lately the 4g connection has been spotty in my apartment, no point in paying more for verizon if their service isn't gonna be the best of the best.
cyde01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
mrgigabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UpState NY
Posts: 76
 
Device(s): Droid MAXX NEXUS 7 2012
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

you can always do the upgrade on a other line then after on said and done switch new cell to you and then you are still unlimited i did this with my wifes line shes home most of the time so shes on wifi and has never used much data at all and now i have my new maxx and still have my unlimited thats one way to do it

hope that helps a little
mrgigabyte is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
bolski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 206
 
Device(s): Motorola RAZR HD (unlocked) Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 18
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arparaspolo View Post
I could be wrong but, to my understanding, the only way they switch your unlimited data to a tiered plan is when you do something to change your plan i.e. getting a new phone, adding a line. If your contract is up, and you do nothing, you are just month to month. If they tried to force you out of unlimited and into tiered, you could then just walk away without any repercussions. No fees or anything. They would lose a customer whom would say ef you I'm out!

But again, I could be wrong. It hasn't happened yet so I'm not sure the feeling, but anything is possible HAHA. jk.
If you purchase a subsidized phone, then you lose your unlimited plan.

If you purchase your phone used from a 3rd party (like on eBay), then no. You don't lose your unlimited plan.

When I got my RAZR, my new-every-two had come up. To prevent losing my unlimited, I went and bought my RAZR MAXX off of eBay for about $300. Went and got a simm card from Verizon and had it activated. Still have my unlimited data plan.

I then switched my new-every-two to my wife's phone so she could get a better non-smartphone upgrade and didn't affect my unlimited plan in anyway.

I'll stick with my RAZR MAXX for a long time and when it IS time to upgrade, I'll probably look and purchase the phone used again. It will be cheaper than getting it full-priced through Verizon to keep the unlimited plan.
__________________
RAZR HD - Unlocked
Nexus 7
bolski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola DROID RAZR
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola RAZR was originally rumored as the "Sypder" or "Droid HD" and is now known as the DROID RAZR for Verizon Wireless. The device eatures a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED qHD display, 1.2GHZ dual-core processor, 8MP rear camera,... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid RAZR / RAZR MAXX
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.