Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mortymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): DROIDX, Droid Eris, 4 HP touch pads that will be running ANDROID!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default Viber on Droid X

Anyone else using this? I just found it and am loving it so far. Its a VOIP called Viber and it works all over the world and allows you to text other Viber users for free from anywhere. This is huge for me as i travel internationally and when gone texting is always as issue even with other apps that I can use.

Viber has zero ads and zero charges or fees, everything is free. No accounts either, your phone number is your account and it works automatically. Pretty slick.

http://www.viber.com/

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.viber.voip

Advertisements
mortymouse is offline  
Last edited by mortymouse; August 9th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
androidfonefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I am wondering. You can call any other Viber user for free, which is great but can you call ay other phone for free.
Cause if it can't?!
An app that had good call quality and let you call anyone like the NetTalk app (except that app call quality is bad) and it showed a working number etc with a few bells or whistles would be nice.
Evin if it only did good call quality and calls was all it did it would be great because more people could use the packages that have low min but unlimited text and net options and call and not use up all their min real fast.
androidfonefan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mortymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): DROIDX, Droid Eris, 4 HP touch pads that will be running ANDROID!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfonefan View Post
I am wondering. You can call any other Viber user for free, which is great but can you call ay other phone for free.
Cause if it can't?!
An app that had good call quality and let you call anyone like the NetTalk app (except that app call quality is bad) and it showed a working number etc with a few bells or whistles would be nice.
Evin if it only did good call quality and calls was all it did it would be great because more people could use the packages that have low min but unlimited text and net options and call and not use up all their min real fast.

All Viber users are free, all non Viber calls are charged as a normal call on your phone. They key here for me is that you can text and call for free to other people on Viber from pretty much anywhere in the world, all via wifi too with no charges at all. I am not totally sold on it yet as I have only been using it here locally but if it works this well when on the road its killer.
mortymouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Home
Gender: Male
Posts: 774
 
Device(s): HTC One (M8)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 79
Thanked 141 Times in 114 Posts
Default

i have something better: groove ip + google voice
groove ip lets you use wifi or cell data for voip calls to anyone for free
google voice lets you text anyone for free
__________________
mruno is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mortymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): DROIDX, Droid Eris, 4 HP touch pads that will be running ANDROID!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruno View Post
i have something better: groove ip + google voice
groove ip lets you use wifi or cell data for voip calls to anyone for free
google voice lets you text anyone for free
I would do that but groove is only good in US and Canada. I have to be able to access my phone and texts when in other countries and wanted to do so for free. GV is awesome btw I use it for a lot of things.
mortymouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
ViberMedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 283
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Hi all,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.
I wanted to point out that in the future, we plan to add support for calling/texting external parties (non-Viber users), but we still don't know exactly when yet.

@mortymouse - when you are abroad nothing should change. It's still free, and if you're on a high-speed WiFi network it should work without a problem.

Feel free to contact me with any question/suggestion you might have.
Thanks,
Viber.
ViberMedia is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViberMedia For This Useful Post:
jerry42570 (December 13th, 2011), mortymouse (August 11th, 2011)
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mortymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): DROIDX, Droid Eris, 4 HP touch pads that will be running ANDROID!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViberMedia View Post
Hi all,
This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.
I wanted to point out that in the future, we plan to add support for calling/texting external parties (non-Viber users), but we still don't know exactly when yet.

@mortymouse - when you are abroad nothing should change. It's still free, and if you're on a high-speed WiFi network it should work without a problem.

Feel free to contact me with any question/suggestion you might have.
Thanks,
Viber.
Thanks for the post, that's great to know. I am heading back to Australia in a week or so and will report back as to how it works. I also have a sister going to Paris and she is now signed up. Thanks again for the comments and for being active in the community.
mortymouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
ViberMedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 283
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Hi all,

We're running a quick survey among our users (in Viber-dedicated threads only).

We'd like to hear your opinion: What is Viber missing the most? If you could choose the most important feature that you'd like to see in our next big version - Viber 2.1 - that's coming up soon, what would it be?

Let your voice be heard
ViberMedia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mortymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): DROIDX, Droid Eris, 4 HP touch pads that will be running ANDROID!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViberMedia View Post
Hi all,

We're running a quick survey among our users (in Viber-dedicated threads only).

We'd like to hear your opinion: What is Viber missing the most? If you could choose the most important feature that you'd like to see in our next big version - Viber 2.1 - that's coming up soon, what would it be?

Let your voice be heard
Better call quality over 3g.

Over any and all other features you could add, this is the one that I see needs the most improvement.
mortymouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
ViberMedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 283
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortymouse View Post
Better call quality over 3g.

Over any and all other features you could add, this is the one that I see needs the most improvement.
This is actually an issue we're been working on a lot in the past few months, because we understood that in some countries, 3G network quality disrupts a large percentage of Viber calls made on it.

Good news is that we will present a solution soon
ViberMedia is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViberMedia For This Useful Post:
mortymouse (August 23rd, 2011)
sponsored links
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
mortymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 246
 
Device(s): DROIDX, Droid Eris, 4 HP touch pads that will be running ANDROID!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViberMedia View Post
This is actually an issue we're been working on a lot in the past few months, because we understood that in some countries, 3G network quality disrupts a large percentage of Viber calls made on it.

Good news is that we will present a solution soon
Thank you. Again, its great to see this type of activity in the forums and even better that you listed to feedback. Thanks again.
mortymouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
ViberMedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 283
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default

My pleasure!
You (and all other users here) can always rely on my presence here for questions/suggestions about Viber.
ViberMedia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
ViberMedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 283
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Hi everyone,
We've got something for you: Viber's Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

Do you think you know what this is?
ViberMedia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
ViberMedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 283
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Hi everyone,
We are excited to announce that the long-anticipated Viber 2.1 has just been released to AppStore and Market!
Among the new features:
- A whole new sound codec, offering higher voice quality, better support for Viber calls on 3G networks and interrupted internet connections.
- Photo sharing inside Viber text messages.
- Viber text messages are now location-aware, meaning you can share your current whereabouts with each and every Viber message that you send.
- Viber now supports iOS5.
- Viber now supports Landscape mode.
- And many more new features and bug fixes.
It is important to note that downloading the new version is obligatory in order to continue and use Viber as of tomorrow.
Should you have any questions regarding this new version or about Viber in general, please do not hesitate to ask.
the Viber Team.
ViberMedia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
ViberMedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 283
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Default

To all,
We (Viber) are about to release multilangual support for Viber at last!

We would appreciate your help with translation to your personal language. If you are fluent at any other language than English, this means adding missing translated lines, and confirming the existing translations previously added by users: Translate Viber - Streamlined Translation Platform for Sites & Apps - Viber

Remember - we let the community of our users shape Viber and decide what it looks like

If you have any questions please let me know. We thank you in advance,
the Viber Team.
ViberMedia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola DROID X
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

 Motorola DROID X is an Android powered smartphone with a 1GHz processor, huge 4.3-inch display with 480x854 pixels resolution, 8-megapixel camera with 720p motion video capture and many other features. It's the newest addition to Motorola... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid X
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.