Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default Downloading and playing a Disney Digital Copy

I apologize if this has been addressed previously. I have searched this forum (as well as Motorola help) and can't find an answer.

I downloaded a digital copy of a Disney movie to my netbook. It has both a full version (for PC) and a PORT version which I believe will work on my "portable" device - per tech support at Disney.

I followed the instructions in Windows Medial Player (Win 7) and thought I had synced the digital copy to my phone. But looking at the results shows an error. Motorola phone support had no idea of what I had done wrong, or how to do it. OR.. even if the movie would play on the Droid.

So here's my questions.

1. Am I spinning my wheels because Disney digital copy does not play on the Droid, no matter what I do? If yes... disregard the next questions.

2. So how do I get the movie onto the Droid? I thought I had, but evidently did not.

3. And when I do.. how do I play it? Does it need third party software?

I am able to mount the SD card. Support suggested that the card is not formatted. I downloaded File Manager and it shows items on the SD card.

Any help appreciated.
Jane

Edited to add: The digital copy file is a .wmv file. Do I need to convert it? If yes, to what with what?

Advertisements
jayes is offline  
Last edited by jayes; May 27th, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
haystak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Eastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to haystak Send a message via MSN to haystak Send a message via Yahoo to haystak
Default Re: Downloading and playing a Disney Digital Copy

I'm thinking you would need a PlayReady device like a Zune to playback the movie.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
haystak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 147
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Its more likely that th PC version will play on the phone. Have you tried it?

Edit I don't think droid plays wmv. Convert it to mp4 or mpg.
pinesal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinesal View Post
Its more likely that th PC version will play on the phone. Have you tried it?

Edit I don't think droid plays wmv. Convert it to mp4 or mpg.
I believe both versions (PC and PORT) are .wmv files. The PC version is over 1 GB so it would take up much too much space. The PORT version is a mere 300 KB. I am not sure how I would go about converting either to mp4 format. But I can try googling that option. My concern is the copy protection which seems to be built into Disney copies. It would only allow me to put this digital copy on one device. Evidently, the PORT version came along for a free ride. I was surprised to see two different size files and checked with Disney about it. Disney c.s. said I could put the second version on my portable device, but was not familiar with the Droid and could not help with the method of transfer.

It is very possible that my Droid is not the portable device of choice for this movie. No one (Verizon, Motorola and Disney) seems to know enough about both - the phone and the movie - to be able to help.

I was hoping someone here had tried to do this and would know if I'm wasting my time.
jayes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
skilaufen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 563
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5! and a Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayes View Post
I believe both versions (PC and PORT) are .wmv files. The PC version is over 1 GB so it would take up much too much space. The PORT version is a mere 300 KB. I am not sure how I would go about converting either to mp4 format. But I can try googling that option. My concern is the copy protection which seems to be built into Disney copies. It would only allow me to put this digital copy on one device. Evidently, the PORT version came along for a free ride. I was surprised to see two different size files and checked with Disney about it. Disney c.s. said I could put the second version on my portable device, but was not familiar with the Droid and could not help with the method of transfer.

It is very possible that my Droid is not the portable device of choice for this movie. No one (Verizon, Motorola and Disney) seems to know enough about both - the phone and the movie - to be able to help.

I was hoping someone here had tried to do this and would know if I'm wasting my time.

The Droid only plays Mp4 or 3gp. The problems is going to be not only the format, but also the DRM (Digital Right Management) software. I have pulled down a number of digital copies from discs that I have bought and they are for my Ipod Touch (ie: mp4). I tried putting them on my Droid but it won't play them because of the DRM.

If you pulled down the windows version of the digital copy then most likely it is designed for a portable product that can play .wmv files and won't work with the Droid. That said you would need to convert it to an mp4 format, but you probably won't be able to convert it because of the DRM. The only way I have heard of to bypass the DRM on a digital file is to use capture software that would record the file as it plays (this is not a comment on the legality/illegality only on what is possible).

I am not sure how Itunes works around the DRM when it snycs to my Touch and I have not figured out how to work-around this for my Droid.

The one thing about this forum is the vast wealth of knowledge and expertise that people here have so it maybe someone else can answer this better than I have.
__________________
Why bother doing anything if nothing is required?
skilaufen is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skilaufen For This Useful Post:
jayes (May 28th, 2010), watersrules (January 18th, 2011)
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Thanks, Skilaufen. That makes sense. I thought that might be the case.. that the DRM would prove to be problematic even if I could figure out the process of conversion. It's not that I need the movie on the phone.. there's just so many places one needs the Princess and the Frog, but it was there so I thought I'd give it a try. Perhaps when they say "portable device" they are thinking of something other than my Droid.

That said.. what portable devices might that be that plays .wmv files?
jayes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

To save time and hassle, you might look at downloading Handbrake and simply ripping the DVD to mp4 format.
kes601 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
skilaufen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 563
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5! and a Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayes View Post
Thanks, Skilaufen. That makes sense. I thought that might be the case.. that the DRM would prove to be problematic even if I could figure out the process of conversion. It's not that I need the movie on the phone.. there's just so many places one needs the Princess and the Frog, but it was there so I thought I'd give it a try. Perhaps when they say "portable device" they are thinking of something other than my Droid.

That said.. what portable devices might that be that plays .wmv files?

Zune should play it since it is a windows product, but I will concur with kes601 you can download Handbrake and rip your DVD right to a mp4 file. The original version has a DRM removal tool or if you use a newer version of Handbrake you would need to use something like DVD43 to remove the DRM. (I don't know if it will work with a Blu-ray disc as I don't have any Blu-ray drives other than the standard player.)

Most movies with Handbrake set to the Ipod/Iphone preset are about 500-600 megs in size and play fine on the Droid.

**Oh and as someone with kids I can totally understand why you would need a mobile copy of "The Princess and the Frog" on hand for emergencies.**
skilaufen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Handbrake won't work with Bluray, however Disney movies w/Digital Copy normally include BR, DVD, and Digital.

For the record I don't have an Android phone (here lurking, considering switching from iPhone), but I assume this will work for the Android w/o a problem.
kes601 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 73
 
Device(s): Droid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilaufen View Post
Zune should play it since it is a windows product, but I will concur with kes601 you can download Handbrake and rip your DVD right to a mp4 file. The original version has a DRM removal tool or if you use a newer version of Handbrake you would need to use something like DVD43 to remove the DRM. (I don't know if it will work with a Blu-ray disc as I don't have any Blu-ray drives other than the standard player.)

Most movies with Handbrake set to the Ipod/Iphone preset are about 500-600 megs in size and play fine on the Droid.

**Oh and as someone with kids I can totally understand why you would need a mobile copy of "The Princess and the Frog" on hand for emergencies.**
The Disney package I bought has three versions.. DVD, Blu-Ray and Digital copy. One for the Blu ray player, one for the car dvd and one for my netbook. There was also an option to download the itunes version (rather than the Windows Media File). I might just see if Disney customer service can offer a way to get the portable version in itunes format instead so I can put it on our itouch.

As far as Handbrake, I read up a bit on it. Much too complicated for my brain. The DRM is going to be a major issue that I don't want to have to deal with. I don't have an older version of the software.

I appreciate everyone's input. This will save a lot of time. Knowing it can't be done, I won't even try again.
jayes is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
skilaufen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 563
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5! and a Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 20
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes601 View Post
Handbrake won't work with Bluray, however Disney movies w/Digital Copy normally include BR, DVD, and Digital.

For the record I don't have an Android phone (here lurking, considering switching from iPhone), but I assume this will work for the Android w/o a problem.

Thats good to know about the Blu-ray. Handbrake works great for converting videos and DVDs to mp4 for the Droid. You can even convert a movie to a hi-res video which looks great (though it is over a gig in size). I tend to watch things on my Driod and not on my Touch now.

You can search the forum here and there should be a step by step listing of how to convert DVDs to an mp4 format using Handbrake.

http://androidforums.com/how-tips/14610-put-videos-droid.html
skilaufen is offline  
Last edited by skilaufen; May 28th, 2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added link to Handbrake thread
Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

A good set of instructions on how to get it to work on a Droid X is available, see: Using a PlaysForSure DRM Video with Android Devices
dcwilcox is offline  
Last edited by dcwilcox; December 24th, 2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: cleaned up url text
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Droid
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Droid - the first ever Verizon Android Phone - exploded onto the mobile market with an incredibly successful ad campaign that brough Android to the masses. With a huge and vibrant touchscreen, solid metal body, full QWERTY keyboard, 5M... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Droid
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.