Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > Motorola Flipside

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): motorola flipside
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Low Memory

My wife is having problems is a Motorola Flip Side she keeps on getting a low mem. message. we cleared the cache and deleted apps. I have no clue what to do next. I am a iphone user any help would be appreicated .

Thanks

Advertisements
rebecca757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Antidisestablishmentarian
 
johnlgalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 3rd Rock
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,395
 
Device(s): Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,362 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to johnlgalt Send a message via MSN to johnlgalt Send a message via Yahoo to johnlgalt Send a message via Skype™ to johnlgalt johnlgalt@gmail.com
Default

Move here for better response.
__________________

Files for the Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®:
Motorola USB drivers v5.9.0 | Motorola RSD Lite v5.7
My DropBox Referral link
johnlgalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norfolk VA
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): motorola flipside
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlgalt View Post
Move here for better response.
where did it get moved to. i think the link is broke
rebecca757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Factory Reset

I had the same problems. The guys at the AT&T store couldn't fix either. I eventually had to do a factory reset. MotoBlur restored my contacts and i had to restore all of my apps, but now my phone is running fine.
abmoraz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
macgiobuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 308
 
Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I deleted several apps that I never used and re-started the phone...fixed it for me.
macgiobuin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi there...just found this site and ithas ben helpful. I too noticed my flipside after one month is giving me "Device storage full" message. I have deleted all the aps i could and it still is giving me the same reading. Do I have to do a factory restore..?
The AT&T store was unable to fix the pbm as well.
If I have to do a facdtory restore what is the procedure?
I am new to the Android phone but I enjoy the versatility it offers me.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

This is my first post.

abmoraz post above was read and appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Charlie
laserdoc1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Device storage full - my experience

summary:

I think it is the /data/local.prop.bak file that grows and grows and eventually fills up the /data partition that causes this problem. Rebooting the phone or doing a 'rm /data/local.prop.bak' is a workaround, but not a solution. It is possible that de-garbaging your /data/local.prop file will solve the /data/local.prop.bak problem. I am seeing if that solves the problem on my phone.

details:

I have a Motorola Flipside and I have been getting the "Device storage full" messages about once a day as well. Rebooting the phone seems to make the problem go away for a while.

Using a terminal emulator, I did a df commands, which showed that my /data partition has lots of free space right after bootup, but has very-little free space once I get the "Device storage full" message. All other partitions seemed fine and RAM usage seemed fine. The problem is the /data partition only.

Then, to diagnose what is taking up all the space on the /data partition, I used du commands, which showed that the only significant growth in storage used was for the /data/local.prop.bak file.

I imagined there's a bug such that the phone improperly backs up /data/local.prop in a way that /data/local.prop.bak indefinitely grows.

I looked at my /data/local.prop file, which seems do have some "ro.sys.*=0" lines, and then I have a lot of binary (non-ASCII) garbage and "=0" thrown in there. My local.prop is about 16.8MB. From my understanding, prop files are only supposed to contain ASCII name=value pairs. I have de-garbaged my /data/local.prop file and I will see how that goes.

edit1:

By the way, my de-garbaged /data/local.prop file is now only 288 bytes.

edit2:

Looks like /data/local.prop.bak is still growing (maybe slower than before), and as far as I can tell there is just repeated garbage in there. Looks like /data/local.prop.bak is completely useless. I could try to investigate what app or android process is buggily appending to /data/local.prop.bak, but I'm tempted to do a "chmod a-w /data/local.prop.bak; chown 0:0 /data/local.prop.bak" as a quick-fix to prevent any modification of the file.

edit3:

In order to mess with /data/local.prop.bak like I have (and also to do storage diagnosis with the 'df' and 'du' commands), you phone will need to be rooted and will probably need busybox (which usually accompanies rooting your phone).

edit4:

It's been about a week and making /data/local.prop.bak a zero-size unwritable file has prevented /data/local.prop.bak from growing. I have noticed no ill effects in the operation of my phone. I do wonder that process/app garbaged up my /data/local.prop and what process/app was making those worthless backups.
isionous is offline  
Last edited by isionous; February 2nd, 2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: updates of my progress solving the problem
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Anyone find a sollution to the Low memory problem. I have 2 of these phones on my accout and both suffer from the problem. A reset and a master reset will help, but only temporarily. I been on the phone with ATT and mortoral and neither seem to have a clue. I am goign to request they replace the phones under warranty, but have my doubts it will solve the problems as it seems to be more of a software issue and not the hardware.
SDM1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Solutions have been found

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM1977 View Post
Anyone find a sollution to the Low memory problem.
I found a solution to my low memory problem. The steps I describe in my post above solved the problem for me. Have you tried what I did?
isionous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

No, I have not had the time to find a way to root this phone. So I am not able to try your sollution. If it is indeed software related motorola needs to step up and release and update with a fix.

Back on phone again with ATT yesterday and getting more run around. All the cache clearing and resets do nothing but temporarily clear the memory. For the second time they have failed to call back to see how the phone is doing as promised. Though I am not surprised at that. Lucky for them this must not have been a hot selling phone and unlucky for me as they don't want to spend the time to fix the problem.
SDM1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
macgiobuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 308
 
Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I took my phone in to the local AT&T store. I had them save all my info, and then re-set the phone to factory settings. They re-loaded my stuff back onto the phone and oila! I have not had the low memory message since. This was a few weeks back.
macgiobuin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I need help with this Low Memory Issue as well...I get a "Storage Device Full" error message several times a day and have to reboot my phone which is only a temporary fix! It is very annoying and I wish I knew what to do to fix this problem. Anybody found the solution yet????
msidwell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Solutions have been found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msidwell View Post
Anybody found the solution yet????
Yes. If you look in this thread, I share the steps I took to diagnose and solve my problem. Other people have also mentioned taking their phone to their provider's store and having good results.
isionous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11
 
Device(s): Motorola Flipside(Broken) HTC Tattoo LG Ally
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Psychv4@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isionous View Post
summary:

I think it is the /data/local.prop.bak file that grows and grows and eventually fills up the /data partition that causes this problem. Rebooting the phone or doing a 'rm /data/local.prop.bak' is a workaround, but not a solution. It is possible that de-garbaging your /data/local.prop file will solve the /data/local.prop.bak problem. I am seeing if that solves the problem on my phone.

details:

I have a Motorola Flipside and I have been getting the "Device storage full" messages about once a day as well. Rebooting the phone seems to make the problem go away for a while.

Using a terminal emulator, I did a df commands, which showed that my /data partition has lots of free space right after bootup, but has very-little free space once I get the "Device storage full" message. All other partitions seemed fine and RAM usage seemed fine. The problem is the /data partition only.

Then, to diagnose what is taking up all the space on the /data partition, I used du commands, which showed that the only significant growth in storage used was for the /data/local.prop.bak file.

I imagined there's a bug such that the phone improperly backs up /data/local.prop in a way that /data/local.prop.bak indefinitely grows.

I looked at my /data/local.prop file, which seems do have some "ro.sys.*=0" lines, and then I have a lot of binary (non-ASCII) garbage and "=0" thrown in there. My local.prop is about 16.8MB. From my understanding, prop files are only supposed to contain ASCII name=value pairs. I have de-garbaged my /data/local.prop file and I will see how that goes.

edit1:

By the way, my de-garbaged /data/local.prop file is now only 288 bytes.

edit2:

Looks like /data/local.prop.bak is still growing (maybe slower than before), and as far as I can tell there is just repeated garbage in there. Looks like /data/local.prop.bak is completely useless. I could try to investigate what app or android process is buggily appending to /data/local.prop.bak, but I'm tempted to do a "chmod a-w /data/local.prop.bak; chown 0:0 /data/local.prop.bak" as a quick-fix to prevent any modification of the file.

edit3:

In order to mess with /data/local.prop.bak like I have (and also to do storage diagnosis with the 'df' and 'du' commands), you phone will need to be rooted and will probably need busybox (which usually accompanies rooting your phone).

edit4:

It's been about a week and making /data/local.prop.bak a zero-size unwritable file has prevented /data/local.prop.bak from growing. I have noticed no ill effects in the operation of my phone. I do wonder that process/app garbaged up my /data/local.prop and what process/app was making those worthless backups.
Alright so as far as the df command goes i got that and I see what youren talking about. Now can you explain what it is you do when you use a du command. when i type in "du" it comes up as "not found"
at that, my terminal emulator has SuperUser permissions but it still says a lot of what i try to access is denied
for instance if i type in /data it comes up as access denied.

All i really need though is a step by step if you can on how to freeze that file
Psychv4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default du requires busybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychv4 View Post
Alright so as far as the df command goes i got that and I see what youren talking about. Now can you explain what it is you do when you use a du command. when i type in "du" it comes up as "not found"
at that, my terminal emulator has SuperUser permissions but it still says a lot of what i try to access is denied
for instance if i type in /data it comes up as access denied.

All i really need though is a step by step if you can on how to freeze that file
  1. Determine if you have BusyBox. Use the command "type busybox". If the output is "busybox is /system/bin/busybox" or something like that, you have BusyBox. If the output is "busybox: not found", you need to install BusyBox. You probably have BusyBox if you have SuperUser capabilities.
  2. Once you have BusyBox installed, use "busybox du" to execute du. You might not need to use du right now.
  3. If you are getting "access denied" messages, you should probably run the "su" command which will cause you to become the superuser. Be careful about what you are doing as superuser. You can mess up your phone.
  4. First, you might want to assume that /data/local.prop and /data/local.prop.bak are the culprits. Do a "busybox ls -lh /data/local.prop*" to see how big /data/local.prop and /data/local.prop.bak are. If they are big (greater than 1024 bytes), they are probably the culprit.
  5. IF /data/local.prop AND /data/local.prop.bak ARE THE CULPRIT, then use some editor (I use "busybox vi", but you might not be familiar with vi) to delete anything that isn't a valid line in /data/local.prop. A valid line should be all ASCII and of the form "SomeName=SomeValue". You should delete /data/local.prop.bak and do a "busybox touch /data/local.prop.bak" and a "busybox chmod ugo-w /data/local.prop.bak" as superuser. The touch and chmod should prevent anyone from writing to /data/local.prop.bak.
  6. IF those files are NOT THE CULPRIT. You'll have to do your own digging with "busybox du". What I did was some du commands with the output redirected to a text file. I did the du right after a reset and a du when storage was getting low and did a comparison.
I hope this helps some.
isionous is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isionous For This Useful Post:
Psychv4 (May 6th, 2011)
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

NuB to DROID here .. having these issues .. how do i hack it like isonous specifies??
Buford is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default specificity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford View Post
NuB to DROID here .. having these issues .. how do i hack it like isonous specifies??
You'll have to be more specific in what information you require. I feel I've already been very detailed.
isionous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
macgiobuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 308
 
Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Default

It is easier to just take it to AT&T, have them save all your stuff, and then have them re-set to factory settings. The store can re-load all your contacts, and Marketplace stores all of your apps in "My Apps"....after re-set, open the Marketplace and go to "My Apps" and download the ones you want re-loaded.

The downside is that some of your contact info is lost. To alleviate this, put all your contacts on GMail and then sync your phone. When you re-set, all your contacts are at GMail and automatically reload along with your calendar (if synced with GMail).
macgiobuin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM1977 View Post
No, I have not had the time to find a way to root this phone. So I am not able to try your sollution. If it is indeed software related motorola needs to step up and release and update with a fix.

Back on phone again with ATT yesterday and getting more run around. All the cache clearing and resets do nothing but temporarily clear the memory. For the second time they have failed to call back to see how the phone is doing as promised. Though I am not surprised at that. Lucky for them this must not have been a hot selling phone and unlucky for me as they don't want to spend the time to fix the problem.

I too am a victim of the motorola flipside from att, was given the flipside as "an equal or lesser value phone" to replace my HTC wildfire when Alltel switched to ATT in my area, when i asked why they said it was the default android phone for the switch so i went with it, i had one fail completely within the first week of service, the store replaced it with another flipside after i told them i was unhappy with the phone to include it did not have the android 2.2 os and that the internal memory was so small that it cpuld not even handle half the messages and apps my wildfire had the capacity for, but I am off my soapbox now, I like the phone for its physical keyboard but thats where my like of it ends. when it comes to these smartphones i have had my share of them but i have yet to root one or even have one that is really capable of having a modified os different from the factory installed. i just wanted to figure out how to move file and maybe apps to the sdcard and how to save photos directly to the sd card so i dont have to delete photos or apps just to take more photos or videos. anybody know how to do that with out voiding the warranty? please let me know ok?
toxicwaste is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
macgiobuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 308
 
Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I finally ditched the Flipside and got the Atrix 2. 8 gigs of internal memory and 32 gigs in a memory card eliminate any worries about low memory. the battery lasts for a lot longer in Atrix 2 than the Flipside ever did. My advice is to switch as soon as you possibly can.
macgiobuin is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any chance someone can tell me the exact keying needed for deleting the unwanted files from that directory in the emulator?
TakashiStormii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isionous View Post
summary:

I think it is the /data/local.prop.bak file that grows and grows and eventually fills up the /data partition that causes this problem. Rebooting the phone or doing a 'rm /data/local.prop.bak' is a workaround, but not a solution. It is possible that de-garbaging your /data/local.prop file will solve the /data/local.prop.bak problem. I am seeing if that solves the problem on my phone.

details:

I have a Motorola Flipside and I have been getting the "Device storage full" messages about once a day as well. Rebooting the phone seems to make the problem go away for a while.

Using a terminal emulator, I did a df commands, which showed that my /data partition has lots of free space right after bootup, but has very-little free space once I get the "Device storage full" message. All other partitions seemed fine and RAM usage seemed fine. The problem is the /data partition only.

Then, to diagnose what is taking up all the space on the /data partition, I used du commands, which showed that the only significant growth in storage used was for the /data/local.prop.bak file.

I imagined there's a bug such that the phone improperly backs up /data/local.prop in a way that /data/local.prop.bak indefinitely grows.

I looked at my /data/local.prop file, which seems do have some "ro.sys.*=0" lines, and then I have a lot of binary (non-ASCII) garbage and "=0" thrown in there. My local.prop is about 16.8MB. From my understanding, prop files are only supposed to contain ASCII name=value pairs. I have de-garbaged my /data/local.prop file and I will see how that goes.

edit1:

By the way, my de-garbaged /data/local.prop file is now only 288 bytes.

edit2:

Looks like /data/local.prop.bak is still growing (maybe slower than before), and as far as I can tell there is just repeated garbage in there. Looks like /data/local.prop.bak is completely useless. I could try to investigate what app or android process is buggily appending to /data/local.prop.bak, but I'm tempted to do a "chmod a-w /data/local.prop.bak; chown 0:0 /data/local.prop.bak" as a quick-fix to prevent any modification of the file.

edit3:

In order to mess with /data/local.prop.bak like I have (and also to do storage diagnosis with the 'df' and 'du' commands), you phone will need to be rooted and will probably need busybox (which usually accompanies rooting your phone).

edit4:

It's been about a week and making /data/local.prop.bak a zero-size unwritable file has prevented /data/local.prop.bak from growing. I have noticed no ill effects in the operation of my phone. I do wonder that process/app garbaged up my /data/local.prop and what process/app was making those worthless backups.
What, how and huh! How do I even start to do this. I am computer savvy but this sounds almost like using dos commands on the phone, and I do not even know where to start. Rooting - what is that, how do I do it. It sounds like you have the tech savvy to do what I want, but is it done on my computer with the cable attached to the usb or is this something I do on the phone, and where do I get the resources, and how do I run the commands on the phone?
franbugs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola FLIPSIDE
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola FLIPSIDE is another of the seven Android phones that Motorola announced at CTIA 2010. It sports a 3.1 one inch touchscreen, a slide out QWERTY keyboard, and Android with MOTOBLUR. Its name is odd considering nother ever flips. It does ... Read More

Tags
flipside


Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > Motorola Flipside
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.