Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > Motorola Flipside

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Update to 2.2

This morning I got a notice that an update to 2.2 was available. I am currently in the process of installing the update and will let you know how it goes.

I dont know if Ill still be able to root my phone after the update or what as Im not that tech savvy. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Advertisements
HiloDB1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok update works and was able to root it again using SuperOneClickv2.1.1 removed some of the bloatware from ATT with TitaniumBackup and moved all my apps to my SD card with Link2SD.
HiloDB1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I tried doing the update but in the middle of it I got the screen with the triangle and exclamation point. I've tried rebooting, wiping it clean, and re-installing the update but it never gets past the initial screen. Any idea how I can fix this. I really can't be without a phone right now.
snarticus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarticus View Post
I tried doing the update but in the middle of it I got the screen with the triangle and exclamation point. I've tried rebooting, wiping it clean, and re-installing the update but it never gets past the initial screen. Any idea how I can fix this. I really can't be without a phone right now.
Hmm Im not sure what happened with your phone sorry .

My update is working fine. Battery life is soo much better then with Eclair. It does at time seem to get hung up but overall seems to run smoother and faster.
HiloDB1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarticus View Post
I tried doing the update but in the middle of it I got the screen with the triangle and exclamation point. I've tried rebooting, wiping it clean, and re-installing the update but it never gets past the initial screen. Any idea how I can fix this. I really can't be without a phone right now.
Same thing happen to me... I got it working after some tinkering, so I think this might work:

1.Took out microSD card
2. Using the microSD adapter, renamed the update zip file as follows update.zip
3.Inserted it back into my cellphone
4. Turned it on while pressing the x key. Arrived at that pesky exclamation triangle screen.
5. Pressed Fn + T, using arrow keys chose sdcard update.zip option. Afterwards, u should already see some activity... at the end choose the reboot option and be rewarded with a red and black motorola symbol!


Remarks: I tried a lot of stuff before coming up with this. So in addition, I also on the recovery screen, chose the wipe clean :'( and wipe cache partition option. Furthermore, I also copied again the update file... so I had two files... one with the original name, and the other with the update.zip name.

Hope it works!
KeyboardAddict is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyboardAddict For This Useful Post:
Lazarus32 (August 19th, 2011)
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyboardAddict View Post
Same thing happen to me... I got it working after some tinkering, so I think this might work:

1.Took out microSD card
2. Using the microSD adapter, renamed the update zip file as follows update.zip
3.Inserted it back into my cellphone
4. Turned it on while pressing the x key. Arrived at that pesky exclamation triangle screen.
5. Pressed Fn + T, using arrow keys chose sdcard update.zip option. Afterwards, u should already see some activity... at the end choose the reboot option and be rewarded with a red and black motorola symbol!


Remarks: I tried a lot of stuff before coming up with this. So in addition, I also on the recovery screen, chose the wipe clean :'( and wipe cache partition option. Furthermore, I also copied again the update file... so I had two files... one with the original name, and the other with the update.zip name.

Hope it works!
Having the same problem and I tried to rename the files and picking all the options but none seem to work. I keep getting this screen when I try to apply the update.





edit: I figured out my problem I was renaming the zip file to "update.zip" when I should have left off the .zip part. Thanks for the help though!
Lazarus32 is offline  
Last edited by Lazarus32; August 19th, 2011 at 04:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just bought this phone and have read tons of horrible reviews about the current software, does the update fix all the problems I keep reading about?
ddcjohnson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): Acer Iconia A200, Motorola Flipside
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcjohnson View Post
I just bought this phone and have read tons of horrible reviews about the current software, does the update fix all the problems I keep reading about?
In my opinion, the phone's biggest issues are the small internal memory and the bloat that AT&T preinstalls. It won't fix those. However, it does open up the option to allow non-market apps without rooting. 2.2 also adds the ability to move certain apps to the SD card, but not all apps are movable and none of the preinstalled & system apps are movable. A few can be tricked by sneaking in a default location change via the bridge but you're looking at maybe a 10mb difference over stock, if that, so you're only making up what you lost in the update, which adds 10mb of data to the internal memory.

Factor that into your decision if you're already low on memory due to preinstalled or system apps and don't want to root. 2.2 also seems to work faster, but I only had the phone for a day before the update became available, so I don't know how accurate my perceptions are on that. It is a boon to be able to move many of the user apps, especially since not that long ago it didn't look like 2.2 was going to be available on this phone.
cwatkinsnash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i need help! me and my mother have the flipside and i pudated mine with no problems what so ever. i am now tryin to update hers and i put the update on and got it all the way to were the phone should kick back on but the phone will not come on it just keeps going to the red M with pulsing around it then the re think possible att&t screen and back and forth and forth. what is going on??!
willk729 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk729 View Post
i need help! me and my mother have the flipside and i pudated mine with no problems what so ever. i am now tryin to update hers and i put the update on and got it all the way to were the phone should kick back on but the phone will not come on it just keeps going to the red M with pulsing around it then the re think possible att&t screen and back and forth and forth. what is going on??!
Try hard resetting the phone or you can reflash the SBF file

Home - Motorola Flipside Hacks
HiloDB1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston/Baton Rouge
Posts: 35
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1 View Post
Try hard resetting the phone or you can reflash the SBF file

Home - Motorola Flipside Hacks

damn, were was this months ago..lol

I just rooted my wifes flipside with 2.1 and I still cant move the apps to the SD card and the memory keeps saying full..

Guess it will be a little harder to update now?
BlownGP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Where do you get the updte?
SDM1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
macgiobuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 308
 
Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7 (2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I finally gave up trying to stay ahead of the memory drain. LOVED the Flipside, but the software update killed the internal memory and my apps wouldn't run properly. I bought the new Atrix 2 and am more than pleased. With 8 gigabytes of internal memory, I no longer have to kill apps to get other apps to work. Expandable to 40 gigs (with a 32 gig card) makes it virtually impossible to fill up Atrix 2's memory with normal phone usage.
macgiobuin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have read things that said superoneclick wont work to re root the phone after updating to the froyo update? Has anyone tried this and been successful?
systat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola FLIPSIDE
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola FLIPSIDE is another of the seven Android phones that Motorola announced at CTIA 2010. It sports a 3.1 one inch touchscreen, a slide out QWERTY keyboard, and Android with MOTOBLUR. Its name is odd considering nother ever flips. It does ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Phones > Motorola Flipside
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.