Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G

New Forums: Nexus 6 | Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 105
 
Device(s): AT&T SGS2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Release date is July 31st

Does anyone know the release date for this phone? I'm thinking sometime in July.

Advertisements
DroidBabe is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidBabe View Post
Does anyone know the release date for this phone? I'm thinking sometime in July.
Only rumor I've seen that actually tabbed a specific month was saying July...but I think that was based on all the initial speculation (prior to yesterday's luncheon event).

The Galaxy S 2 (Within) was rumored to be a July release and if that end up happening, I can see the Photon being pushed back to August.

Either way, the Photon 4G is the front runner in terms of which device I'll be upgrading to from my EVO. I still really like my EVO a lot and don't really have a need to upgrade, but the Photon's specs add things that I wanted on the original EVO (while still keeping the same things that I've used on the EVO for the past year).

The only thing that HTC has that I use a lot is the FriendStream app, but I've seen that there are a ton of different alternatives that'll have the same functions. Do you know (or does anybody else know) if Motorola has a similar app? All it does is link the news feed for Twitter and Facebook.

I've never really liked MotoBlur much, but my only viewpoint on the UI has been a Tmobile Cliq, so I'll likely still be using LPP as my launcher.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,049
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Galaxy Mega, LG G2, and
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,241
Thanked 4,691 Times in 1,755 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

Same here about the Motoblur comments and Sense. Don't like MotorBlur and I like Sense. And although one can probably find HTC Sense like replacements, none compare to the originals.

In one of the announcements about the bootloader it was mentioned that due to time constraints, the phone would be locked, so that tells me that we just may see the phone out by the end of July/August. This coincides with the annual June/July/Aug distribution of new sprint phones. (usually its HTC)

As for price, me thinks that it will be priced too high, knowing how Motorola botch their tablet prices being greedy and all. Probably around $399 or more.
With discounts/rebates etc it may drop to $299.00 but i doubt it will go lower with all the features this thing has. But i hope i am wrong and they sell it for much less. I really like the features (minus the bootloader and the Motorblur) and wouldn't mind jumping ship from HTC to Motorola, but I still have a month or two before finally deciding what to do.

TS
__________________
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...



twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (June 12th, 2011)
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

World phones don't come too cheap.. you're right, it'll probably be around 249-299
drewsg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
momoceio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,235
 
Device(s): EVO 3d
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 106
Thanked 151 Times in 95 Posts
Default

I can't upgrade until Oct 1 so hopefully the SGII and Photon are out by then so I can compare the 3 new power phones from Sprint.
__________________
"Come to the dark side, we have androids"

My Online Business Card
My Blog
My Twitter
momoceio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoceio View Post
I can't upgrade until Oct 1 so hopefully the SGII and Photon are out by then so I can compare the 3 new power phones from Sprint.
I can't imagine they'd wouldn't be released by then, so I think you'll have a good opportunity to compare the three (3).

Who knows, they may have even more lined up for Fall.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
Same here about the Motoblur comments and Sense. Don't like MotorBlur and I like Sense. And although one can probably find HTC Sense like replacements, none compare to the originals.

In one of the announcements about the bootloader it was mentioned that due to time constraints, the phone would be locked, so that tells me that we just may see the phone out by the end of July/August. This coincides with the annual June/July/Aug distribution of new sprint phones. (usually its HTC)

As for price, me thinks that it will be priced too high, knowing how Motorola botch their tablet prices being greedy and all. Probably around $399 or more.
With discounts/rebates etc it may drop to $299.00 but i doubt it will go lower with all the features this thing has. But i hope i am wrong and they sell it for much less. I really like the features (minus the bootloader and the Motorblur) and wouldn't mind jumping ship from HTC to Motorola, but I still have a month or two before finally deciding what to do.

TS
I actually wouldn't mind if it were $299 after rebates. That's as much as I paid for my HTC Mogul back in the day!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default

I am guessing it will release end of July or early August
Androidalltheway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,049
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Galaxy Mega, LG G2, and
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,241
Thanked 4,691 Times in 1,755 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsg View Post
World phones don't come too cheap.. you're right, it'll probably be around 249-299
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
I actually wouldn't mind if it were $299 after rebates. That's as much as I paid for my HTC Mogul back in the day!
Well Currently the Sprint phones that offer Worldmode (850/1900 CDMA and 900/1800 GSM) and Advance worldmode on the Sprint Network are...


As you can see from the image (click on it to open the spreadsheet if you want to sort), I predict the Photon will be $299 but looking how the HTC Pro 2 came out at $349.99 and the Photon has better features it might be priced even higher.

TS
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
Well Currently the Sprint phones that offer Worldmode (850/1900 CDMA and 900/1800 GSM) and Advance worldmode on the Sprint Network are...


As you can see from the image (click on it to open the spreadsheet if you want to sort), I predict the Photon will be $299 but looking how the HTC Pro 2 came out at $349.99 and the Photon has better features it might be priced even higher.

TS
Thanks,TS. I guess all we can do is hope for the best, expect the worst.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi there, Interested in upgrading from my Evo4g to possibly the Photon, and was wondering if someone could shed some light on a question.

At my current location all sprint phones that I have owned have horrible reception (Unusable). From what I've read the Photon will be a dual mode GSM/CDMA phone. Verizon phones however have much better reception here. Would this mean that with the Photon I could use GSM at home and have better reception?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clear me up on this.
Slash Overkill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash Overkill View Post
Hi there, Interested in upgrading from my Evo4g to possibly the Photon, and was wondering if someone could shed some light on a question.

At my current location all sprint phones that I have owned have horrible reception (Unusable). From what I've read the Photon will be a dual mode GSM/CDMA phone. Verizon phones however have much better reception here. Would this mean that with the Photon I could use GSM at home and have better reception?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clear me up on this.
The GSM is for out of the country use, from what I understand. And for that matter, even if you were to link it to a GSM service, I'd assume you'd have to do so through T-Mobile or AT&T...and as far as I know, they don't have pre-paid SIM cards like over seas, so I doubt that it's possible. I could be completely wrong, but that's my estimation based on what I've read.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,049
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Galaxy Mega, LG G2, and
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,241
Thanked 4,691 Times in 1,755 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
The GSM is for out of the country use, from what I understand. And for that matter, even if you were to link it to a GSM service, I'd assume you'd have to do so through T-Mobile or AT&T...and as far as I know, they don't have pre-paid SIM cards like over seas, so I doubt that it's possible. I could be completely wrong, but that's my estimation based on what I've read.
I cannot say if the Photon 4G is going to have an unlocked Sim card slot, since no one has yet to dissect it, most of the phones I listed above allow for pre-paid sims besides the default one.

Yet, in the reviews for the HTC Touch Pro 2, there is no mention if it allows for pre-paid sim cards.

The phones stay connected to CDMA here in the states, once overseas they go into gsm mode. Its my understanding if you stay with the default sprint issued sim card you will be hit with international roaming charges. I'm hoping that the Photon 4G allows for unlocked sims so that one can get a sim card at the airport and not have to deal with Sprint international charges.

TS
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (June 13th, 2011)
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
I cannot say if the Photon 4G is going to have an unlocked Sim card slot, since no one has yet to dissect it, most of the phones I listed above allow for pre-paid sims besides the default one.

Yet, in the reviews for the HTC Touch Pro 2, there is no mention if it allows for pre-paid sim cards.

The phones stay connected to CDMA here in the states, once overseas they go into gsm mode. Its my understanding if you stay with the default sprint issued sim card you will be hit with international roaming charges. I'm hoping that the Photon 4G allows for unlocked sims so that one can get a sim card at the airport and not have to deal with Sprint international charges.

TS
I SO hope that it allows for unlocked sims to be used, otherwise the "world" part would be a little disappointing for me. I have family in the UK and the Philippines, so those are two locations alone that I'd benefit from being able to use pre-paid sim cards. Not that I'm completely opposed to paying the Sprint international charges, but it would definitely be cheaper to be able to use a pre-paid sim.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,650
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus and LG G Pad 10.1
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 379
Thanked 508 Times in 329 Posts
Default

This phone looks like its going to be a winner. But my upgrade is on 2012. The waiting game is awesome.
Orion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,049
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Galaxy Mega, LG G2, and
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,241
Thanked 4,691 Times in 1,755 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

If your upgrade is in 2012, then I assume you are in the middle of your 2 year contract which means that you should be able to have the $75 dollar upgrade option at your disposal.

If so, then this "Slick Deals" dealmight work out for you. Although the deal states for EVO 3D, i am sure it can work for the Photon 4G when it comes out.

This topic might be of interest as well.
Sprint Premier "Silver" Customers: Get your last one year upgrade from Sprint.


TS
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:
Orion (June 14th, 2011)
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,650
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus and LG G Pad 10.1
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 379
Thanked 508 Times in 329 Posts
Default

I'm aware of that. I just like to have the option to wait this thing out. I want to save my upgrade later this year or ultimately 2012. I'm already hearing about GS3 or more likely I want to get next years EVO.
Orion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Default

I say it drops in August, a month or so before Sprint's iPhone 4S if rumors hold true.

I need to get a closer look at this new version of Motorblur, because in the vids it doesn't look all that intrusive or laggy like the version featured on the Atrix. It looks really lean in fact.

If it delivers, I would consider replacing my Nexus S 4G with a Photon for the ability to travel with it. A lot can happen in the next 10 weeks though, so we'll see.
__________________
"I have the bestest, awesomest ROM ever, only my camera, GPS and Bluetooth don't work"
viber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viber View Post
I say it drops in August, a month or so before Sprint's iPhone 4S if rumors hold true.

I need to get a closer look at this new version of Motorblur, because in the vids it doesn't look all that intrusive or laggy like the version featured on the Atrix. It looks really lean in fact.

If it delivers, I would consider replacing my Nexus S 4G with a Photon for the ability to travel with it. A lot can happen in the next 10 weeks though, so we'll see.
I think it all depends on the SGS 2 release. If the SGS 2 release is confirmed for July, then it'll be August. If the SGS 2 release is confirmed for August, then it'll be July. My money is on July because the SGS 2 hasn't "formally" been introduced as a Sprint phone yet, while the Photon has. Even though the SGS 2 has been announced over seas, it just hasn't had that formal introduction for Sprint.

As for Motoblur, I've actually completely ignored the reviews of the stock UI because I'll either be using LPP or Go Launcher. With all the internal storage the phone has, I won't worry about running out of memory due to lack of storage space (like I've been experiencing lately on my EVO).
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Motorola Photon 4G Review And Full Phone Specifications | Reviews On Gadgets

September release? I hope it's not that long. That's bad timing for me...hahaha.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Motorola Photon 4G Review And Full Phone Specifications | Reviews On Gadgets

September release? I hope it's not that long. That's bad timing for me...hahaha.
I wouldn't expect anything new to other than the Evo3D to drop win the next 45 days or so.

I don't really care about the Galaxy S2, but I am looking forward to the Photon.
viber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mi
Posts: 43
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Let's think about that sept release date for a minute here ......why would sprint even announce the phone and then wait for 3 months to release it ??? By sept who knows what kinda stuff will be out. The screen quality and tegra 2 could be old news by then. Really doesn't make much sense to me. It has to be earlier then that. Just my .02 .
Ronnie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,049
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Samsung Galaxy Mega, LG G2, and
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,241
Thanked 4,691 Times in 1,755 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

much like what they did with the EVO 4G when it was announced in Dec 2010 and didn't come out till June of that year. see source.

TS
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 106
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
much like what they did with the EVO 4G when it was announced in Dec 2010 and didn't come out till June of that year. see source.

TS
That date is incorrect on that article, the Evo wasn't announced until March 23, 2010 although it was speculated on for months before it was announced. I remember I was paying very close attention because I had an instinct and couldn't stand it lol. A lot of people were upset that it wasn't announced at MWC but sprint always waits for CTIA to show off their "high end" phone (although now they finally will have more than 1 a year)

Advertisment

HTC EVO 4G announced: The biggest, the baddest smartphone ever | MobileTechWorld

HTC EVO 4G Announced for Sprint - Tested

HTC EVO 4G Announced by Sprint, Handled at CTIA Wireless 2010 (Video) | GSM Dome - Mobile Phone News
JinCA is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JinCA For This Useful Post:
twospirits (June 22nd, 2011)
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinCA View Post
That date is incorrect on that article, the Evo wasn't announced until March 23, 2010 although it was speculated on for months before it was announced. I remember I was paying very close attention because I had an instinct and couldn't stand it lol. A lot of people were upset that it wasn't announced at MWC but sprint always waits for CTIA to show off their "high end" phone (although now they finally will have more than 1 a year)

Advertisment

HTC EVO 4G announced: The biggest, the baddest smartphone ever | MobileTechWorld

HTC EVO 4G Announced for Sprint - Tested

HTC EVO 4G Announced by Sprint, Handled at CTIA Wireless 2010 (Video) | GSM Dome - Mobile Phone News
Yeah, I remember the supersonic being rumored early and pics were shown, but no official information until it was officially announced at ctia. Then, at google io, people were given the early production model, prior to the official release date being announced.

Nonetheless, I'm anticipating mid-August, but any earlier would be awesome. I think it also depends on the sgs2 release as well.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Sprint?s Motorola Photon – What You Need To Know ( Release Date, Specs )

I hope this article's july guess is right.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
toolwarrior (June 19th, 2011)
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

If the Triumph is releasing Late July. I hope the Photon is around that time too! That would make sense, being 1 month after the EVO 3D is released (and out of the 30 day exchange window).

Virgin Mobile Sets Motorola Triumph Release Date to Late July 2011 | Rock That Motorola Triumph
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Another thing to take into consideration, Sprint just announced the price and release date for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, which is June 24. I hadn't been following anything on that, but was there any lead-up the past month or so regarding the release of that Tablet?

If there wasn't any lead-up, then it's still possible that they'll do the same thing with the SGS 2, which I personally believe would push the Photon release to the end of August, rather than the end of July.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Even more definitive! If Virgin Mobile releases the Triumph on July 19, I really, really hope that means Photon 4G on Sprint will be shortly after!

Motorola Triumph hitting Virgin Mobile on July 19? | Android Central
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Fingers crossed for a July release.

Though, who really knows. The SG2 is out there, and the Evo3D just launched.

Sprint will probably want to have at least a month gap between all the releases.

Somewhere mixed in all that is the Photon.
viber is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

The release date won't be known until the device has passed the FCC, which hasn't occurred yet. Once it does, I'd expect a release date 3-5 weeks later.
KnowProblem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowProblem View Post
The release date won't be known until the device has passed the FCC, which hasn't occurred yet. Once it does, I'd expect a release date 3-5 weeks later.
Companies have been known to keep a device secret even after it has passed through the FCC.

Just look at the original EVO. The talk was that the EVO had passed through the FCC in the beginning of April 2010, but they didn't announce the official release date until MUCH later.

As under wraps as the Photon was (NOBODY reported about this device or even opened up speculation until 1 week prior to the event on June 9), I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola and Sprint asked for the FCC to hold out from releasing cleared documents until they're ready for them to be available.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM   #33 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viber View Post
Fingers crossed for a July release.

Though, who really knows. The SG2 is out there, and the Evo3D just launched.

Sprint will probably want to have at least a month gap between all the releases.

Somewhere mixed in all that is the Photon.
Yeah, I think the Photon release will all be dependent on the SGS2 release. Either way, one of the 2 phones will be released at the end of July (most likely) and I'm guessing it'll be just after the 30 day trial expires on the EVO 3D.

Anywhere from July 27-29 is my guess for either the SGS2 or the Photon to be released. Then, whichever one isn't released at the end of July would be somewhere in the range of 8/31 - 9/2.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
Jceinc (June 23rd, 2011)
Old June 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): Evo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

not intrested in tegra 2

the samsung gs2 will be a better phone.

just waiting for a new phone with a keyboard >=[

samsung makes me sick.
PC Jona is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Jona View Post

the samsung gs2 will be a better phone.
Better at what? Specifically.

Speak from experience
viber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jceinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 585
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Note 8.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 351
Thanked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Yeah, I think the Photon release will all be dependent on the SGS2 release. Either way, one of the 2 phones will be released at the end of July (most likely) and I'm guessing it'll be just after the 30 day trial expires on the EVO 3D.

Anywhere from July 27-29 is my guess for either the SGS2 or the Photon to be released. Then, whichever one isn't released at the end of July would be somewhere in the range of 8/31 - 9/2.
Great point but damn I cant wait that long!!
__________________

Jceinc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Companies have been known to keep a device secret even after it has passed through the FCC.

Just look at the original EVO. The talk was that the EVO had passed through the FCC in the beginning of April 2010, but they didn't announce the official release date until MUCH later.

As under wraps as the Photon was (NOBODY reported about this device or even opened up speculation until 1 week prior to the event on June 9), I wouldn't be surprised if Motorola and Sprint asked for the FCC to hold out from releasing cleared documents until they're ready for them to be available.
The original EVO was approved on May 7 and released about a month later. The manufacturers always ask the FCC to hold out on most documents anyway but that doesn't stop folks from knowing when the FCC approves the device and this one hasn't been approved yet. Until it's approved Moto can't commit to any sort of specific date.
KnowProblem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #38 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowProblem View Post
The original EVO was approved on May 7 and released about a month later. The manufacturers always ask the FCC to hold out on most documents anyway but that doesn't stop folks from knowing when the FCC approves the device and this one hasn't been approved yet. Until it's approved Moto can't commit to any sort of specific date.
Nope. Sorry, I was wrong about early April. It was late April. Look at the first page of the docs that were shown on Engadget. April 27, 2010 is the approval date.

HTC EVO 4G earns FCC's blessing, WiMAX and all - Engadget Galleries

The docs didn't leak until May 7, but that's about 2 weeks AFTER it was approved by the FCC.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Nope. Sorry, I was wrong about early April. It was late April. Look at the first page of the docs that were shown on Engadget. April 27, 2010 is the approval date.

HTC EVO 4G earns FCC's blessing, WiMAX and all - Engadget Galleries

The docs didn't leak until May 7, but that's about 2 weeks AFTER it was approved by the FCC.
Sorry, but you keep insisting on being wrong. April 27th is when the testing lab issued its report. May 7 is when the FCC actually approved the device. Here is the approval certificate, note the grant date: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/reports/Tcb731GrantForm.cfm?mode=COPY&RequestTimeout=500&t cb_code=&application_id=939126&fcc_id=NM8PC36100
KnowProblem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #40 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

If the Photon is going to be the next Android phone released on Sprint, the documents would be passing through the FCC now (if not already passed) and possibly leaked next week, after the EVO 3D has had it's "official" launch this Friday (even though Sprint Premiere customers are already using their 3D's). That's the "ideal" scenario.

The "official" SGS 2 hasn't been announced for Sprint yet, even though the European version has been available for some time. Going along the lines of how the Epic was released, the "official" announcement for the Epic was 8/12/10 with a 8/31/10 release.
Samsung Epic 4G Arrives August 31st, Order Yours Tomorrow! AndroidGuys
Since that was in the Samsung Galaxy family, that leads me to believe that the SGS 2 is more likely an August/early September release, rather than a July release because that would give the Epic owners that want to stick with Samsung the 1 year early bird upgrade eligibility they'd need to pick up the 2nd generation of the SG line.

I can't even remember if there was another phone released in between the EVO and the Epic. So, if we're to go with "historical" facts, the EVO 3D (successor to the original EVO) is being released officially 3 weeks after the original EVO release (6/4/10). If we go on the same logic with the Epic>SGS2, 3 weeks after the original Epic release would put the SGS 2 release sometime in mid-late September. So, if that's the case and we go along the lines with Sprint's typical "Friday or Sunday" release, I think it's pretty realistic to see the Photon on any of these dates:

7/29-7/31 (Earliest possible, due to being a few days after the 30 day trial for folks that purchase the EVO 3D this Friday)
8/5-8/7
8/12-8/14
8/19-8/21

These 4 weekends serve multiple purposes for Sprint
1) Allows them to lock in those that purchased the EVO 3D early
2) Allows for a good amount of time to build additional hype for the Photon.
3) Depending on which weekend aboe that the Photon is launched, they can plan accordingly as to when to release the SGS 2 and on top of that, make it a date that will allow for people who purchased the Epic at launch to be able to upgrade to the SGS 2.

Now, all of this is completely moot, if the Photon hasn't passed through the FCC already or doesn't pass through it shortly. But thinking about all of this more logically, I have better feelings that the Photon will be released prior to the SGS 2. As far as actual release date is concerned, if I had to bet on it, I'd say the weekend of 8/12-8/14 would be the target.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #41 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowProblem View Post
Sorry, but you keep insisting on being wrong. April 27th is when the testing lab issued its report. May 7 is when the FCC actually approved the device. Here is the approval certificate, note the grant date: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/reports/Tcb731GrantForm.cfm?mode=COPY&RequestTimeout=500&t cb_code=&application_id=939126&fcc_id=NM8PC36100
Okay, but the main point in all this is that there's still a possibility that it could pass through the FCC next week, and a release date could be announced next week for the end of July or early-mid August.
drexappeal is online now  
Last edited by drexappeal; June 23rd, 2011 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Okay, but the main point in all this is that there's still a possibility that it could pass through the FCC next week, and a release date could be announced next week for the end of July or early-mid August.
Right, which is exactly the point I was making... 3-5 weeks after the approval.

Late July to mid-August is probably a reasonable estimation for the device but again, until the FCC approves, all bets are off.
KnowProblem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #43 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowProblem View Post
Right, which is exactly the point I was making... 3-5 weeks after the approval.

Late July to mid-August is probably a reasonable estimation for the device but again, until the FCC approves, all bets are off.
Okay, no worries. Didn't mean to upset you. I was just trying to put things in perspective of past device releases, which is part of the reason I did the historical breakdown of the EVO and Epic releases.

By my estimations, I think it's more realistic for the Photon to be released prior to the Galaxy S 2. That's just taking into consideration the 1 year early upgrade eligibility for all those that purchased the Epic and want to upgrade to the SGS 2.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:52 PM   #44 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Just thought of something else that might throw a wrench in the photon release. HTC kingdom already passed fcc. I wonder if that'd cause a little delay.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

@drexappeal, you are reading way too much into this. Let me explain to you how this works: First of all, the release has little to do with what HTC is doing or not. Also, except in a few extremely rare situations when a mistake is made, documents don't "leak" from the FCC. The FCC approves a device and with the approval officially publishes a few documents related to the device (like the SAAR report for example) on the day of approval. For competitive reasons, the FCC allows manufacturers to mark certain documents they have to submit as part of the approval process (like the user guide for example) as confidential for several months after the approval so that competitors can't find out too much info on the device before it is sold. Where there have been true 'leaks' in the past has been when someone at the FCC accidentally marks one of the documents that the company requested to be temporarily private as public. However, like I said, again, some documents like the SAR report you attached for the EVO are always provided to the public immediately upon device approval. There's no "leak" for that. It's official.

Look, the situation is such that these devices contain very sophisticated radios transmitting on several different bands. The FCC is very stringent on how those radios emit their signals and phone manufacturers have to tinker with the devices a lot to make sure all the radios transmit within certain allowed safe parameters. This means having to make hardware and/or software configuration changes to the device and then test and retest it over and over until they get it just right. Sometimes a device is problematic and it takes more time than average time to go through this process. That's what delayed the release of the EVO 3D for example which was originally supposed to be released at the beginning of June. My guess is that that's exactly what's going on with the Photon, Moto is trying to get the configuration right so it will pass the FCC but no one, not even Moto can predict exactly how long it will take them to find just the right magic combination of hardware and software tweaks to make that happen and that's why you don't see an official release date. Once that does happen then the phone gets a final configuration and Moto can ramp production of the device. Once they already have a device going through the process, they don't really care what HTC or Samsung are up to, they just want to come to market as soon as they possibly can but they can't do that until they have a final configuration for it that will pass the safty tests of the FCC.

So all the speculation you are trying to go through is really mostly moot. Since they already have the basic device spec worked out, now it's basically just how long will it take them to finalize the configuration so it's approved by the FCC, then how long it will take them to source parts, then how long to ramp production and ship it. They also need to let the carrier know so that they can prepare advertising, literature, and train associates but again, it all hinges on getting a final device configuration.
KnowProblem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #46 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowProblem View Post
@drexappeal, you are reading way too much into this. Let me explain to you how this works: First of all, the release has little to do with what HTC is doing or not. Also, except in a few extremely rare situations when a mistake is made, documents don't "leak" from the FCC. The FCC approves a device and with the approval officially publishes a few documents related to the device (like the SAAR report for example) on the day of approval. For competitive reasons, the FCC allows manufacturers to mark certain documents they have to submit as part of the approval process (like the user guide for example) as confidential for several months after the approval so that competitors can't find out too much info on the device before it is sold. Where there have been true 'leaks' in the past has been when someone at the FCC accidentally marks one of the documents that the company requested to be temporarily private as public. However, like I said, again, some documents like the SAR report you attached for the EVO are always provided to the public immediately upon device approval. There's no "leak" for that. It's official.

Look, the situation is such that these devices contain very sophisticated radios transmitting on several different bands. The FCC is very stringent on how those radios emit their signals and phone manufacturers have to tinker with the devices a lot to make sure all the radios transmit within certain allowed safe parameters. This means having to make hardware and/or software configuration changes to the device and then test and retest it over and over until they get it just right. Sometimes a device is problematic and it takes more time than average time to go through this process. That's what delayed the release of the EVO 3D for example which was originally supposed to be released at the beginning of June. My guess is that that's exactly what's going on with the Photon, Moto is trying to get the configuration right so it will pass the FCC but no one, not even Moto can predict exactly how long it will take them to find just the right magic combination of hardware and software tweaks to make that happen and that's why you don't see an official release date. Once that does happen then the phone gets a final configuration and Moto can ramp production of the device. Once they already have a device going through the process, they don't really care what HTC or Samsung are up to, they just want to come to market as soon as they possibly can but they can't do that until they have a final configuration for it that will pass the safty tests of the FCC.

So all the speculation you are trying to go through is really mostly moot. Since they already have the basic device spec worked out, now it's basically just how long will it take them to finalize the configuration so it's approved by the FCC, then how long it will take them to source parts, then how long to ramp production and ship it. They also need to let the carrier know so that they can prepare advertising, literature, and train associates but again, it all hinges on getting a final device configuration.
Thanks, but why are you so angry? This is a forum right? Wtf is the problem with voicing logical guesses? Ands if you work in the industry and have all this knowledge, then why not focus on providing information or contributing to informing people rather than, bottom line, coming in here and saying all the release date speculation is moot?

Let me tell u something I'm an expert at. Marketing's best asset is word of mouth advertising. The more people talk about something and build hype about it, the more popular it becomes. Posts like yours, shooting down discussion and speculation, KILL any build up of anticipation or excitement for a product.

But that's your prerogative, so do what u want. It's not gonna stop me from building up hype, just like it was for the EVO. My goal is to make Sprint feel like this device will be just as popular as the EVO, so it gets just as much support and attention. Otherwise, we'll end up taking a back seat to both evo's as far as product support is concerned.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #47 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
...Wtf is the problem with voicing logical guesses?
...
Because you mostly seem to be making the basis for these "logical" guesses to be the release dates from other manufacturers, e.g. if they release this one phone on this and this date then they that might be proof that the photon will be released on such and such date. I'm not angry, I'm just trying to help you understand these are not the the reasons to try to make logical guesses regarding this issue. The actual factors which are driving the release date are as I mentioned above.

And I have no problem in you or anyone else building up hype on a device. On the contrary, I think the photon in particular is probably under-hyped, mainly due to the the fact the the 3VO is over-hyped and the fact that Motorola is a company run by idiots who insist on locking their bootloaders, thus shunning many of all important the early-adopter technology leaders away from their products and in general have gotten the reputation of a company which turns out product of generally low appeal compared to their competitors. I think that certainly if they unlock the bootloader on the Photon they will get buy in from the Android geek type who buys the phone on launch day, which then encourages all the other non phone geeks at his or her workplace for example to get the same device as those folks usually follow the technology leader they seek advice from on technology matters. Unfortunately Motorola has proven to be a very nearsighted company in the past and the results are reflected in their financial performance. So they have a chance for a hit product here. Will they run with it or will they drop the ball like they've done so many times in the past?
KnowProblem is offline  
Last edited by KnowProblem; June 24th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #48 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowProblem View Post
Because you mostly seem to be making the basis for these "logical" guesses to be the release dates from other manufacturers, e.g. if they release this one phone on this and this date then they that might be proof that the photon will be released on such and such date. I'm not angry, I'm just trying to help you understand these are not the the reasons to try to make logical guesses regarding this issue. The actual factors which are driving the release date are as I mentioned above.

And I have no problem in you or anyone else building up hype on a device. On the contrary, I think the photon in particular is probably under-hyped, mainly due to the the fact the the 3VO is over-hyped and the fact that Motorola is a company run by idiots who insist on locking their bootloaders, thus shunning many of all important the early-adopter technology leaders away from their products and in general have gotten the reputation of a company which turns out product of generally low appeal compared to their competitors. I think that certainly if they unlock the bootloader on the Photon they will get buy in from the Android geek type who buys the phone on launch day, which then encourages all the other non phone geeks at his or her workplace for example to get the same device as those folks usually follow the technology leader they seek advice from on technology matters. Unfortunately Motorola has proven to be a very nearsighted company in the past and the results are reflected in their financial performance. So they have a chance for a hit product here. Will they run with it or will they drop the ball like they've done so many times in the past?
Okay.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #49 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,296
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,951 Posts
Default

Man, this website labeled the wi-fi certification as fcc certification.

http://img.gadgetian.com/Motorola-Photon-4G-FCC-Certification.jpg

Thought I found something cool for a second there.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Manufactures and service providers plot timelines for releases, and product lines on a carrier WILL influence release dates.

Sprint and Motorola know exactly when they want the Photon to hit shelves, and the formality of FCC cert is already written into the equation. They are not holding their finger to the wind and leaving it in God's hand.

The Photon is not going to drop anywhere near the Evo3D, or the SGS2. Expect 25-50 days between each release.

I still say the Photon will drop in late July to early August.
viber is offline  
Last edited by viber; June 25th, 2011 at 05:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viber For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (June 24th, 2011)
Reply

Motorola Photon 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Sprint and Motorola have teamed up to bring us the Motorola Photon 4G, the carrier's first international handset with Android. It's a 4.3 inch powerhouse with its dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and more. ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.