Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #101 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
I upgraded to an evo 3d last week and turned in an evo that was in questionable condition at a corp sprint store. They take it right then and there and just give you $150 off of the phone you are purchasing.

Of course I'm going to trade this in for the photon though on the 31st. While the evo3d was nice, it just wasn't for me.
They just take it as is? No box needed, no charger, etc... Just the phone with the battery in it? Do they need the original SD card as well?

FYI - I highly suggest looking at the Photon 4G forum now.

__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM   #102 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
They just take it as is? No box needed, no charger, etc... Just the phone with the battery in it? Do they need the original SD card as well?

FYI - I highly suggest looking at the Photon 4G forum now.

Yup - took it as is. No box, no charger, didn't even need the microsd card. I'm gonna throw the microsd into the photon so it all worked out. They just took the phone with the battery in it.
limdoug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM   #103 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
Yup - took it as is. No box, no charger, didn't even need the microsd card. I'm gonna throw the microsd into the photon so it all worked out. They just took the phone with the battery in it.
Hmmm, maybe I won't be transferring the EVO to my secondary line...LOL.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM   #104 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle Wa
Posts: 368
 
Device(s): 5.5 Glorious Inches
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 56
Thanked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Wow, I never play games on my EVO now, but this is a pretty cool video of the Photon 4G being used in conjunction with a bluetooth controller (in this case, a wii controller)

‪Sprint Photon 4G Bluetooth game controller demo - A game console in your pocket‬‏ - YouTube
Welp...im sold

- Great Camera
- Dedicated Camera Button (Huge Plus for me!!!)
- Dual Core
- Large Storage
- And now i can play Emulators via HDMI cable on my tv screen while using a bluetooth controller?

Sign me the hell up
Cavemansol is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cavemansol For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (July 22nd, 2011), twospirits (July 22nd, 2011)
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM   #105 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Shawheim convinced me and I hope everything works out with Motorola. The amount of coverage his posts got in 2 days...Eye opening.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM   #106 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Evo 4G ->Evo 3D ->Iphone 4s -> Evo 4G LTE -> Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

+1

I dont see in anyway that after someone reads all the posts by him they wouldn't get a Photon now after all. Matter of fact, what it did was make people decide to get one now on launch day instead of waiting and see.

What great free advertising for Motorola and the Photon, and I hope Shawheim is compensated accordingly. **hint, hint Motorola, a free Photon and Xoom for the guy**
vegasr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM   #107 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasr View Post
+1

I dont see in anyway that after someone reads all the posts by him they wouldn't get a Photon now after all. Matter of fact, what it did was make people decide to get one now on launch day instead of waiting and see.

What great free advertising for Motorola and the Photon, and I hope Shawheim is compensated accordingly. **hint, hint Motorola, a free Photon and Xoom for the guy**
On top of that, the guy cross-posted on multiple forums (Sprint Users and Android Central, I'm pretty sure he posted there as well). To get all that info to some of the major forums on the internet in such a short time...wow...I know I'd get tired doing it...LOL.

Although, makes me think if shawheim might have been employed by Motorola to do just that?
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #108 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,990
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,205
Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

The thought did cross my mind, lol but regardless it was good finding this stuff out.

TS
__________________
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...



twospirits is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twospirits For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (July 22nd, 2011)
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM   #109 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Moto Photon
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hey Howdy Hey everyone!

New poster here... but have been lurking for the past few months. Decided to finally sign up.

shawheim's now locked thread, has sealed the deal for me! I'm getting the Photon. I was kinda sorta on the fence (lol).. and well.. his thread has me psyched for this phone!
DMC-12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM   #110 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
amelfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC-12 View Post
Hey Howdy Hey everyone!

New poster here... but have been lurking for the past few months. Decided to finally sign up.

shawheim's now locked thread, has sealed the deal for me! I'm getting the Photon. I was kinda sorta on the fence (lol).. and well.. his thread has me psyched for this phone!
same here, been lurking for a few months

was on Sprint with the TP2, lost my job 5 months ago and moved to Virgin's $25 plan with LG Optimus

got a new job and am thinking going back to Sprint and getting the Photon...

I prefer it over the Within because I really would like a world phone, I travel quite often

glad to see the Camera is great, the speakerphone quality is a plus, love the kickstand, use it a lot

pretty excited here
amelfl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #111 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

1 more week. I'm so tempted to just forget best buy and order early direct through sprint.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #112 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
BanterandRant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 39
 
Device(s): Palm Pre, nook color, Motorola Photon-FTW!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
todd.kennelly
Default

I haven't been this excited about a stupid phone in years!

...want it NOW! :-)
BanterandRant is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BanterandRant For This Useful Post:
donniegood (July 24th, 2011), twospirits (July 25th, 2011)
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #113 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shawheim_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 551
 
Device(s): SGS2E4GT aka Thats a mouthful...Thats what she said!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 213 Times in 69 Posts
Default

I'm STILL looking forward to getting this phone even after Motorola called me and demanded it back. They tried to give me some BS lines about how they can't give me a Photon for free because they said I unlawfully purchased the one I have. Even after the good PR and unbiased reviews I gave their product. Not to mention all the sales I'm sure I brought to them. They are just plain UNGRATEFUL!
shawheim_a is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shawheim_a For This Useful Post:
donniegood (July 24th, 2011), EarlyMon (July 25th, 2011), pcsperson (July 25th, 2011), twospirits (July 25th, 2011)
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #114 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shawheim_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 551
 
Device(s): SGS2E4GT aka Thats a mouthful...Thats what she said!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 213 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Oh and to the people that think I work for Motorola, come to Lexington VA and find me and ask the 40 kids I work with 8 hours a day what I do. I could only wish to have a job working for phone companies or tech websites testing out phones and electronics. That would be a dream.
shawheim_a is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shawheim_a For This Useful Post:
abrawner (July 25th, 2011), donniegood (July 24th, 2011), EarlyMon (July 25th, 2011), pcsperson (July 25th, 2011)
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #115 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Moto Photon
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawheim View Post
I'm STILL looking forward to getting this phone even after Motorola called me and demanded it back. They tried to give me some BS lines about how they can't give me a Photon for free because they said I unlawfully purchased the one I have. Even after the good PR and unbiased reviews I gave their product. Not to mention all the sales I'm sure I brought to them. They are just plain UNGRATEFUL!

I don't know why they are giving you such grief. It wasn't so much unlawfully purchased... as it was unlawfully SOLD.

You seen a item online for sale.. and you bought it. *shrugs*

What happened to the seller? I'm sure their corporate legal people are all over that person.
DMC-12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMC-12 For This Useful Post:
twospirits (July 25th, 2011)
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #116 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 333
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 166 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC-12 View Post
I don't know why they are giving you such grief. It wasn't so much unlawfully purchased... as it was unlawfully SOLD.

You seen a item online for sale.. and you bought it. *shrugs*

What happened to the seller? I'm sure their corporate legal people are all over that person.

I agree. This is not your fault at all. The seller is the person who should be responsible not you.
spridell is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spridell For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 25th, 2011), twospirits (July 25th, 2011)
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #117 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
RedSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Moto Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Cool

hi all, long time lurker, first time poster :-)

little history...last phone i personally owned was the LG Dare on V. That was a few years back. i got rid of that as my company supplied me with my crackberry. so, i dropped my V contract in march only to find out in april my company is no longer going to support everyone's phone habbit. my crackberry currently lives with att and i just assume NOT have a phone than stay with att. ironicly, my catch phrase for them is "more dropped calls in more places" (t) <lol> as i always drop calls around san antonio.

anyway, was looking to go back to V as they were going to release this awesome powerhouse of a phone on their lte network (bionic) but as it's STILL has no date, my window to signup a new contract on V has come and gone (july 7th). for me (heavy data user), that just leaves Sprint.

when i found the photon 4g phone lives here and first heard about the specs (mind you i have been following bionic since april), i couldn't believe there has not been more praise about this phone.

to conclude this tid-bit, i am looking to be both a new sprit user (first time), new andriod user (first time) and i am all kinds of crazy excited.

i was pretty much (like 95%) sure i was going to get this phone but <shawheim> reviews and pics drove this home for me .
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #118 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
hi all, long time lurker, first time poster :-)

little history...last phone i personally owned was the LG Dare on V. That was a few years back. i got rid of that as my company supplied me with my crackberry. so, i dropped my V contract in march only to find out in april my company is no longer going to support everyone's phone habbit. my crackberry currently lives with att and i just assume NOT have a phone than stay with att. ironicly, my catch phrase for them is "more dropped calls in more places" (t) <lol> as i always drop calls around san antonio.

anyway, was looking to go back to V as they were going to release this awesome powerhouse of a phone on their lte network (bionic) but as it's STILL has no date, my window to signup a new contract on V has come and gone (july 7th). for me (heavy data user), that just leaves Sprint.

when i found the photon 4g phone lives here and first heard about the specs (mind you i have been following bionic since april), i couldn't believe there has not been more praise about this phone.

to conclude this tid-bit, i am looking to be both a new sprit user (first time), new andriod user (first time) and i am all kinds of crazy excited.

i was pretty much (like 95%) sure i was going to get this phone but <shawheim> reviews and pics drove this home for me .
Really? I heard the Bionic was 1st week of August from all the blogs and rumors I've read. Is that looking to not be true? Keep in mind, the Bionic was announced WAY back at CES as the "next big thing," so whatever they're working on to make it right, I have no doubt it'll end up being worth the wait.

That said, the Photon is a great device as well, so you're not losing that much by jumping on the bandwagon. Before you do that, I'd double check to see how Sprint service is in your area, as well.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #119 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
RedSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Moto Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

don't get me wrong. I have had (in the past and currently do thanks to work) att and would not volunteer to go back. I have had v for many years and truly liked the service. I have never had sprint so this will be something new.

I don't disagree with the fact that v opted to tier their data plans like att, I just really wish they would have done it AFTER the bionic was released. once july 7th came and no bionic, I lost all interest in it. that was a deal breaker for me. kinda like spendy crazy money on a fast car only to be forced to put a governor on it. :-\

anyway, sprint is all over SA as is their 4g service. I know it won't equate to v but that's ok. I will make do with the 3g service (when not in 4g) and will be happy to do so for $80/month for 750min (450 +300 a/t min) and u/l data text. no one can beat that and thatís before I get my company discount.

I am excited about the transition and my only concern right now is my IT group has recently reported issues with sync(ing) mailboxes. but, there is an app that will work around that so all-n-all, I am not that concerned :-D
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #120 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
don't get me wrong. I have had (in the past and currently do thanks to work) att and would not volunteer to go back. I have had v for many years and truly liked the service. I have never had sprint so this will be something new.

I don't disagree with the fact that v opted to tier their data plans like att, I just really wish they would have done it AFTER the bionic was released. once july 7th came and no bionic, I lost all interest in it. that was a deal breaker for me. kinda like spendy crazy money on a fast car only to be forced to put a governor on it. :-\

anyway, sprint is all over SA as is their 4g service. I know it won't equate to v but that's ok. I will make do with the 3g service (when not in 4g) and will be happy to do so for $80/month for 750min (450 +300 a/t min) and u/l data text. no one can beat that and thatís before I get my company discount.

I am excited about the transition and my only concern right now is my IT group has recently reported issues with sync(ing) mailboxes. but, there is an app that will work around that so all-n-all, I am not that concerned :-D
Nice, well welcome to Sprint and the Photon as of the 31st! I've been happy with the service, but other people are a little more fickle when it comes to service, so I can't really speak for them.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 25th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #121 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
RedSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 37
 
Device(s): Moto Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

as i will also be mostly in 4g area, my biggest wonder has been battery life. i wonder if this thing is going to drain like a stuck pig or if the battery can survive a good 8 hrs of usage.

i already saw the add for the 1930 mAh extended battery and that may be the way to go if the 1700 mAh batter dosen't hold up so well.
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #122 (permalink)
Member
 
Rico college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Well, I think I made up my mind to pass on this phone. I know shawheim said you had to see the screen in person but if the screens were taken by the same camera, the results can't be denied. even though the screen is nice, it is clearly not as nice as the 3vo or even the within.

The atrix is just now getting GB update and to expect better support from this phone is not going to happen. I would put money on this phone never seeing the ice cream update.

and the way moto is strong arming shawheim, they can keep their phones.

I hope everyone who buys this phone enjoys it to the fullest, I really do. If you need to find me, I will be over in the Evo section.

Peace Rico
Rico college is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #123 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico college View Post
Well, I think I made up my mind to pass on this phone. I know shawheim said you had to see the screen in person but if the screens were taken by the same camera, the results can't be denied. even though the screen is nice, it is clearly not as nice as the 3vo or even the within.

The atrix is just now getting GB update and to expect better support from this phone is not going to happen. I would put money on this phone never seeing the ice cream update.

and the way moto is strong arming shawheim, they can keep their phones.

I hope everyone who buys this phone enjoys it to the fullest, I really do. If you need to find me, I will be over in the Evo section.

Peace Rico
How much on the ice cream bet?
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 25th, 2011), Godfather13 (July 25th, 2011), twospirits (July 25th, 2011)
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #124 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,070
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,718
Thanked 54,860 Times in 21,882 Posts
Default

+1 and how much action are you covering?

Time to put the EVO 3D and The Photon to the test!
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #125 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shawheim_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 551
 
Device(s): SGS2E4GT aka Thats a mouthful...Thats what she said!
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 213 Times in 69 Posts
Default

I'm gonna say this again, the screen on the Photon is just as good, and sometimes better than the screen on the 3D. And as to my pics I took, I was so excited and in a rush that some of them are out of focus. They all would have been better if I had a decent camera and a rig to steady the shots. ill let you guys be the judge of it, but I'm positive you won't be disappointed.
shawheim_a is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shawheim_a For This Useful Post:
DMC-12 (July 25th, 2011), drexappeal (July 25th, 2011), EarlyMon (July 29th, 2011), twospirits (July 25th, 2011)
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #126 (permalink)
Member
 
Rico college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
+1 and how much action are you covering?

Time to put the EVO 3D and The Photon to the test!

Not trying to cause drama boss, so I thought it would be best to express my final choice here in this thread and let the other one die out.
Rico college is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #127 (permalink)
Member
 
Rico college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
How much on the ice cream bet?
Just for fun....


ok, I will donate $20 to any cause you want in your name, if the photon gets ice cream (un rooted) before April 1st 2012.
Rico college is offline  
Last edited by Rico college; July 25th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #128 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Didn't the members of the Open Handset Alliance promise that all handsets with capable H/W that were released after Google's I/O were to get at least 18 months worth of Android Updates?
B-Real206 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #129 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico college View Post
Just for fun....


ok, I will donate $20 to any cause you want in your name, if the photon gets ice cream (un rooted) before April 1st 2012.
Putting a date on it is a bit of a chicken move since its not even fully announced when ICS will even be released to the public. Rumors say it will be this side of Christmas but rumors are just that Rumors. Look how long GB was out before the EVO got it. And the EVO was one of the top tier and most popular phones.
__________________
Never forget before buying a phone Motorola breaks their promise of updates.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #130 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico college View Post
Just for fun....


ok, I will donate $20 to any cause you want in your name, if the photon gets ice cream (un rooted) before April 1st 2012.
Gingerbread was "officially" released in December 2010, if memory serves me correct. All of the "top tier" android phones started getting updates to Gingerbread around 6 months after the announcement.

So, to be fair, let's look at 6 months after Ice Cream Sandwich is released (which it hasn't yet).

I was just giving you a hard time. No need to make a donation, unless you want to make it to these forums, I'm sure the site owners wouldn't mind. We'll just keep it at a gentlemen's bet. No money.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #131 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 212
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 38
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I'm still curious of how they found you. Seriously, you saying they just used your s/n on message boards? That is very disturbing if thats all that needs to be done to contact someone. The phone itself is coming out soon. I could see if it was months away. Shouldnt they be focusing their attention more on how you got and who you brought it from? If it meant that much to them, they would investigate that. Since I dont answer unkown #'s in my phone, there is no way they couldve contacted me. And if they wouldve left a vm, I probably wouldve thought it was a prank.

Basically, if they contacted you they need to investigate the person who gave it to you. I'm sure the vin # or whatever is on record at Motorola. They couldve used that to track the person. Not spend time chasing some s/n on a message board.
aeiou is offline  
Last edited by aeiou; July 26th, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #132 (permalink)
Member
 
reddragon72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 223
 
Device(s): Photon 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico college View Post

The atrix is just now getting GB update and to expect better support from this phone is not going to happen. I would put money on this phone never seeing the ice cream update.

Peace Rico
The Atrix has it's update right now. So where are the 4 US SGS updates? I just came from the Vibrant and as of this weekend the Vibrant still did not have a leak. The Dev's over there are doing a bang up job with the scraps they have, but still not a single leak of GB. The Epic just got it's 3rd leak and it might be the final. And to put it all into perspective. The Epic released on Aug 31's 2010 and the Atrix was released March 6th 2011(that's 7 months after the Epic). So don't dis Moto over updates, especially if you are looking at samsung.
reddragon72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #133 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon72 View Post
The Atrix has it's update right now. So where are the 4 US SGS updates? I just came from the Vibrant and as of this weekend the Vibrant still did not have a leak. The Dev's over there are doing a bang up job with the scraps they have, but still not a single leak of GB. The Epic just got it's 3rd leak and it might be the final. And to put it all into perspective. The Epic released on Aug 31's 2010 and the Atrix was released March 6th 2011(that's 7 months after the Epic). So don't dis Moto over updates, especially if you are looking at samsung.
To draw even further comparisons, the original droid got updated to eclair and a couple of months later, got updated to Froyo! And then if you take the Droid X into example, that was released after the EVO, but got a Gingerbread upgrade before the original EVO!

As far as "official" OTA updates are concerned, there isn't a single thing that points to my having to worry with regards to Motorola lagging because they are usually right on point with HTC. Samsung has seemed to me the manufacturer that lags the most behind, which is why I'm not even waiting for the SGS 2 to make a decision (despite the crazy good early reviews it's gotten).

My main concern, if any, about updates on the Photon is due to the fact that it's Sprint's first "major" android phone (I don't count the i1 or whatever it's called that was on the Nextel network...which, funny enough, I found out the hard way that it was actually still separate from Sprint's network). Other than that, I really feel like they'll support the Photon, just as much as the other high-end Motorola phones get support on other networks.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 29th, 2011)
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #134 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,291
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

To add to the excitement, I've started a new thread with some great info:

Photon "Training Guide" per Droid Life...

You should all also thank TS (twospirits) for alerting me to the article, where I found the pictures of the "training guide" that droid life got their hands on.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #135 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 44,070
 
Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 41,718
Thanked 54,860 Times in 21,882 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Real206 View Post
Didn't the members of the Open Handset Alliance promise that all handsets with capable H/W that were released after Google's I/O were to get at least 18 months worth of Android Updates?
Yep, I pointed to the other thread because there I posted the links to back that up - but - yep.

The Evo got Froyo quickly and then Gingerbread - showing Sprint's commitment to updates there - and the DX got Froyo and then Gingerbread quickly - showing Motorola's commitment to updates.

Put the two together (because it takes a commitment from both carrier and maker) and I don't see how updates with the Photon can go wrong.

As for Gingerbread taking 6 months since the December 2010 release on the Nexus S - I'm going to go with yes and no on that one.

The 2.3.3 update didn't hit the AOSP until 2 months after that, so let's knock that down to 4 months out of fairness. All praise and righteous respect to the independent dev community, but they don't have the mass customer base that the carriers/makers do - and if I were in the carriers' shoes, I too would have waited until there looked to be some serious bug-fixing updates to Gingerbread. Then comes 2.3.4 and I've little doubt that carriers had to have some discussion about that due to the inclusion of Gtalk audio/video and how that would impact their customer data plans (that are only now coming to light).

So - the point of all this: Photon and Ice Cream

If Ice Cream comes together the way Froyo did, we ought expect it fairly soon after it hits the AOSP repository, even within a few months - if it's more like Gingerbread, we ought expect a delay, like 4 to 6 months.

But as to Photon getting it? I say yes, no question about it. As to the Photon getting it quickly? Between Sprint's and Motorola's general track records in this area, I'd say it liable to come as quickly as reasonably possible.

As to the Google statement that it was coming before the year-end holidays, yep, they said that. But as busted bones pointed out, we're best to only treat that as rumor as Google's Android releases have a tendency to not track with the announcements made months earlier (true for Froyo, Gingerbread and Honeycomb, so - you know.)

~~~~ TL/DR version:

I predict the Photon's update record will be full of awesomeness!
EarlyMon is offline  
Last edited by EarlyMon; July 29th, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Photon 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Sprint and Motorola have teamed up to bring us the Motorola Photon 4G, the carrier's first international handset with Android. It's a 4.3 inch powerhouse with its dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and more. ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.