Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
horn34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon, Samsung M500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default So my 30 days of the Evo is up on July 24th

I want the Photon, always have. What's the best strategy to get it? Take the Evo back now and sign up for one or wait till the 24th to return it?

horn34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Rico college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

There is no pre orders as I herd of yet and wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any before the 28. I am sure they do not want all those EVO 3d returns
Rico college is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
horn34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon, Samsung M500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I just have the regular Evo. So does anyone know how this would work? I just go without a phone for 1-2 weeks and hope Sprint doesn't issue my phone number to someone else?
horn34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 522
 
Device(s): Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
I want the Photon, always have. What's the best strategy to get it?
Pay for it...
__________________
"I have the bestest, awesomest ROM ever, only my camera, GPS and Bluetooth don't work"
viber is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,288
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
I want the Photon, always have. What's the best strategy to get it? Take the Evo back now and sign up for one or wait till the 24th to return it?
Go in and let them know that you saw that the Photon was being released next week and would like to exchange for that phone.

I know that there are some people that got the EVO 3D that were in a similar situation as you. That's the only thing I can recommend.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Rico college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Sounds like your stuck to me, sorry. The EVO is a great phone though.
Rico college is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): EVO 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out if I want to keep the EVO 3D or go with the photon...I think I might just return it, try the Photon out, then if I don't like it, go back with the EVO. I don't think there is any rule against doing that right?
mwarez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 319
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Default

I think Sprint only allows one return or exchange. Else people would keep doing it til the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the Nexus 3 comes out.
whatsitsname is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 317
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default

It is one exchange, I confirmed that Sunday with Sprint.
Androidalltheway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 317
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
I'm in the same boat, trying to figure out if I want to keep the EVO 3D or go with the photon...I think I might just return it, try the Photon out, then if I don't like it, go back with the EVO. I don't think there is any rule against doing that right?
I love my evo 3d, but the call quality is noticeably worse then my evo 4g, and considering returning it for the photon, but I got mine on 7/22/11
Androidalltheway is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Rico college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidalltheway View Post
I love my evo 3d, but the call quality is noticeably worse then my evo 4g, and considering returning it for the photon, but I got mine on 7/22/11

I think you mean 6/22/11, right McFly?
Rico college is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 317
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default

thats what I meant, thanks for "back to the futuring" my comment, lol
Androidalltheway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Bandage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 71 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Ha! Similar boat here...wife and I signed up with Sprint on July 1st. Both got Evos...I tried out the 3D, didn't like it. Last day of our "30 Day" remorse period is the 30th!

I was told I should cancel my line, sign up another on the 31st so I can get the Photon. (Yes I lose my number...and we have sequential numbers too...very cool)

Of course I didn't know the Photon was coming out on the 31st, or I would have waited another day to switch to Sprint...lmao!
Bandage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
horn34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon, Samsung M500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage View Post
Ha! Similar boat here...wife and I signed up with Sprint on July 1st. Both got Evos...I tried out the 3D, didn't like it. Last day of our "30 Day" remorse period is the 30th!

I was told I should cancel my line, sign up another on the 31st so I can get the Photon. (Yes I lose my number...and we have sequential numbers too...very cool)

Of course I didn't know the Photon was coming out on the 31st, or I would have waited another day to switch to Sprint...lmao!
If you don't want to lose your number (like me) just grab a cheap phone off craigslist and have them activate it until you get your Photon. I got a Samsung flip phone for $20 and had my number switched over last Friday. Alternatively, the Sprint store normally has a cache of old phones they get from customers and you should be able to talk them in to loaning you one for a few days. The manager at my Sprint store said he would have done that for me if I didn't have one, but it was worth $20 to always have a spare phone.
horn34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,288
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage View Post
Ha! Similar boat here...wife and I signed up with Sprint on July 1st. Both got Evos...I tried out the 3D, didn't like it. Last day of our "30 Day" remorse period is the 30th!

I was told I should cancel my line, sign up another on the 31st so I can get the Photon. (Yes I lose my number...and we have sequential numbers too...very cool)

Of course I didn't know the Photon was coming out on the 31st, or I would have waited another day to switch to Sprint...lmao!
Really? They wouldn't let you switch to the Photon one day past your 30 day trial? That sounds very odd to turn away a customer like that.

I'm sure if you asked a manager, you'd be able to get an exception. They'd likely tell you that you'd no longer have a 30 day trial and be locked in, but that shouldn't be an issue for you if you really want to swap to the Photon. At least, if I were a manager and wanted to lock in a new Sprint customer for 2 years, I'd do that.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Bandage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 71 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Really? They wouldn't let you switch to the Photon one day past your 30 day trial? That sounds very odd to turn away a customer like that.

I'm sure if you asked a manager, you'd be able to get an exception. They'd likely tell you that you'd no longer have a 30 day trial and be locked in, but that shouldn't be an issue for you if you really want to swap to the Photon. At least, if I were a manager and wanted to lock in a new Sprint customer for 2 years, I'd do that.
Well...problem is a bit more complicated. I signed up for Sprint at Best Buy on July 1st. Best Buy isn't even sure they'll be getting the Photon on the 31st. So, I have to return the Evo to Best Buy, then buy the Photon at Sprint retail.

I'm not overly worried about it tho...since rumor has it we may be seeing the GSII in August, so if I find I'm not pleased with the Photon (REALLY hope that's not the case...not a big fan of Samsung) I will have time to swap out for the Within as I'll have 30 days fresh start with the new contract.
Bandage is offline  
Last edited by Bandage; July 27th, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,288
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage View Post
Well...problem is a bit more complicated. I signed up for Sprint at Best Buy on July 1st. Best Buy isn't even sure they'll be getting the Photon on the 31st. So, I have to return the Evo to Best Buy, then buy the Photon at Sprint retail.

I'm not overly worried about it tho...since rumor has it we may be seeing the GSII in August, so if I find I'm not overly pleased with the Photon (REALLY hope that's not the case...not a big fan of Samsung) I will have time to swap out for the Within as I'll have 30 days fresh start with the new contract.
I see. Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced that Best Buy is getting the Photon on release day, but at the same time, the reps that I spoke with at one of my local Best Buy's (there are 3 within a short radius from my house) said that they would have it available on the July 31 release...but trusting their word would be a big mistake. Nontheless, once I go to the first Best Buy and they don't have it, I'm going to ask them if they can check inventory for all the stores to see who does...LOL. If none of them have it, I'm driving to Sprint 5 miles away to get the phone...hahaha.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Bandage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 71 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
I see. Yeah, I'm not 100% convinced that Best Buy is getting the Photon on release day, but at the same time, the reps that I spoke with at one of my local Best Buy's (there are 3 within a short radius from my house) said that they would have it available on the July 31 release...but trusting their word would be a big mistake. Nontheless, once I go to the first Best Buy and they don't have it, I'm going to ask them if they can check inventory for all the stores to see who does...LOL. If none of them have it, I'm driving to Sprint 5 miles away to get the phone...hahaha.
Good call. I stopped by two different stores tonight, whilst running errands. They have absolutely NO info on the Photon in their system. One CSR actually at least knew about the phone however. I do have a Sprint Corp store about a mile from my house, two blocks away from Best Buy...So, I'll probably be lurking at their door ready to pounce once they open Sunday.

On a good note, perhaps my new phone number won't confuse my mother in law...who keeps calling my phone, thinking it's my wife's number. Sequential numbers is cool and all, but geesh.
Bandage is offline  
Last edited by Bandage; July 27th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandage For This Useful Post:
donniegood (July 27th, 2011)
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,288
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandage View Post
Good call. I stopped by two different stores tonight, whilst running errands. They have absolutely NO info on the Photon in their system. One CSR actually at least knew about the phone however. I do have a Sprint Corp store about a mile from my house, two blocks away from Best Buy...So, I'll probably be lurking at their door ready to pounce once they open Sunday.

On a good note, perhaps my new phone number won't confuse my mother in law...who keeps calling my phone, thinking it's my wife's number. Sequential numbers is cool and all, but geesh.
What city are you in?
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Bandage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 88
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 71 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Tulsa OK...the dripping armpit of the US.

(and by that I mean 18 days in a row of 100+ weather...effin over it!)
Bandage is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Reply

Motorola Photon 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Sprint and Motorola have teamed up to bring us the Motorola Photon 4G, the carrier's first international handset with Android. It's a 4.3 inch powerhouse with its dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and more. ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.