Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default The Photon 4G Pre-Order Info Thread

Figured I would start a thread about pre-ordering the Photon. Called Radio Shack this morning and they said they hadn't even heard of the Photon lolz. So has anyone heard anything about when we can pre-order?

burgertime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burgertime For This Useful Post:
twospirits (July 14th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): LG Lotus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I called the local sprint store, they just got training on them yesterday, and confirmed the release date, but they did not have any info on when and if you can pre-order them. They said that it would probably be a week before they knew more.

Now, I have to decide between the EVO 3D and the Photon. Things where so much easier when there was no real competition. Either way it will be a bit of an upgrade from my LG lotus
amimemeami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Wirefly supposedly has a pre-order, but I didn't see it on the website
Wirefly.com Launches Pre-Sale of MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G from Sprint
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Godfather13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

If you have done business with Sprint before they should have your email on file. Usually they will send you an eblast letting you know when their latest/greatest phone is available for pre-sale. At least they did that for the Evos. Also check their site and their facebook/twitter accts and you should get the info as soon as its released.
__________________
Sprint Motorola Photon 4G
Godfather13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Looks like it's 179.99 through wirefly
MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G for Sprint - Wirefly.com
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

159 at walmart!
http://www.sprintusers.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Motorola-Photon-4g-pr-order.jpg

New contract only. Upgrade is more expensive than Wirefly.
drexappeal is online now  
Last edited by drexappeal; July 14th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Wow, I hate when they run the promotions that pull in the new customers instead of taking of the current ones.
burgertime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amimemeami View Post
I called the local sprint store, they just got training on them yesterday, and confirmed the release date, but they did not have any info on when and if you can pre-order them. They said that it would probably be a week before they knew more.

Now, I have to decide between the EVO 3D and the Photon. Things where so much easier when there was no real competition. Either way it will be a bit of an upgrade from my LG lotus
Have you gone into the store to try the EVO 3D yet? I suggest you do that, prior to making a decision.

What you're getting with the Photon 4G is pretty straight forward because some of the bells and whistles are already on other phones. Main thing you'd have to decide on is form factor and if the 3D is too much new tech to pass up for you.

I personally hated the 3D when I tried it. As much as I've been a diehard HTC fan for so many years, I've decided to go with the Photon because it is geared towards business.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Let's Talk handles Walmart's online orders also, but they have the same $159 deal for new customers
Motorola Photon™ 4G (Sprint) | LetsTalk.com
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Evo 4G ->Evo 3D ->Iphone 4s -> Evo 4G LTE -> Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I'm definitely looking forward to getting the Photon. I'm tempted on ordering early, Thursday the 28th thru Sprint (Premier Gold Member) but would hate the possibility of not getting it overnighted, thus having to wait till atleast the following Monday for delievery.
Do you think the Sprint Stores will have them ready for sale on Sunday the 31st?
vegasr is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jceinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 585
 
Device(s): Galaxy S4 Note 8.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 351
Thanked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Default

No pre-order here. I need to play with this one first and make sure the pentile screen doesn't look as bad as I've heard
__________________

Jceinc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Evo 4G ->Evo 3D ->Iphone 4s -> Evo 4G LTE -> Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I agree as I'd always want to check a new phone out before getting (think evo3d), but my Evo 4G has been recommisioned to someone else so using my old Treo Pro until this new comes out. Plus I figure if I didn't like the Photon for some crazy reason, I have the 30 day guarantee from Sprint I can fall back on and look into a different new one.
vegasr is offline  
Last edited by vegasr; July 14th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgertime View Post
Wow, I hate when they run the promotions that pull in the new customers instead of taking of the current ones.
The wirefly upgrade deal is still good at 179. Only reason I'm not planning on that right now is because I'd get a good amount of rewards points from best buy and I'm a silver member now, so that means I can hold the points until I'm ready to use then.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 13
 
Device(s): EVO 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have the EVO 3D and I am considering returning it to get the Photon. Main reasons being the camera (2D) sucks on the EVO 3D, not really interested in the 3D part of the phone, screen is just OK on the EVO 3D and the speaker on it totally sucks. Anyone know if the screen or speakerphone is any better on the Photon? Camera is 8MP so I assume it's better than the EVO's. Plus the Photon has an active kickstand which I like and 16 GB of storage. Anyone know how teh Tegra 2 pairs up against the EVO's processor?
mwarez is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
I have the EVO 3D and I am considering returning it to get the Photon. Main reasons being the camera (2D) sucks on the EVO 3D, not really interested in the 3D part of the phone, screen is just OK on the EVO 3D and the speaker on it totally sucks. Anyone know if the screen or speakerphone is any better on the Photon? Camera is 8MP so I assume it's better than the EVO's. Plus the Photon has an active kickstand which I like and 16 GB of storage. Anyone know how teh Tegra 2 pairs up against the EVO's processor?
From what I've heard, since it's built to attract business consumers, the speakerphone is exceptionally good. I'm not sure about the camera, but if it's on par with my EVO 4G, I'll be happy and there have been a lot of people that complained about the EVO 4G camera.

If we're talking about the 3VO, then I've heard playback on the 3VO is better w/ the 1.2ghz dual-core snapdragon. If we're talking about the EVO 4G playback, I can't see any reason why the Tegra 2 wouldn't blow the single core snapdragon out of the water.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool Available for pre-order right now :O

Anyone else pre-order one of these?

I'm a dev so I can't wait to get crackin' on the sweet, sweet unlocked bootloader!

$179 at Amazon: Amazon.com: Motorola Photon 4G Android Phone (Sprint): Cell Phones & Accessories

Wirefly has a discount too but I had a bad experience with them before.
pholuv is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,990
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,205
Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

While there are quite a few places stating lower prices for the Photon 4G, most are geared toward the new line customer. For existing customers wanting to upgrade, usually there is no other recourse than to haggle with the CSR.

But being that existing customers will most likely not use the older phone (since you are getting the new one to replace it), you can probably lower the cost of the new phone by trading in your previous one.

I wrote a review on trade in programs (shown below) and although it's written last year when I was upgrading to the EVO 4G, it still stand true today. I would suggest reading it and looking into the programs and who knows you may get a very sweet discount for your new Photon 4G.

Review: Trade-In Cell Phone Programs

Edit: Just realized that with the Walmart trade in the Walmart Price of $247 goes down to $146 woohoo

TS out
__________________
Members, want to make this place better, just ask the staff. Remember, the "No' is always there, you are just looking for the "Yes". and please read the guidelines, otherwise you may end up in Banlandia.

Google + and twitter user.
Click below for image/list of devices...



twospirits is online now  
Last edited by twospirits; July 14th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 317
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
I have the EVO 3D and I am considering returning it to get the Photon. Main reasons being the camera (2D) sucks on the EVO 3D, not really interested in the 3D part of the phone, screen is just OK on the EVO 3D and the speaker on it totally sucks. Anyone know if the screen or speakerphone is any better on the Photon? Camera is 8MP so I assume it's better than the EVO's. Plus the Photon has an active kickstand which I like and 16 GB of storage. Anyone know how teh Tegra 2 pairs up against the EVO's processor?
Hows your call quality?

mine is horrible, which is why I a considering the photon 4g
Androidalltheway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarez View Post
I have the EVO 3D and I am considering returning it to get the Photon. Main reasons being the camera (2D) sucks on the EVO 3D, not really interested in the 3D part of the phone, screen is just OK on the EVO 3D and the speaker on it totally sucks. Anyone know if the screen or speakerphone is any better on the Photon? Camera is 8MP so I assume it's better than the EVO's. Plus the Photon has an active kickstand which I like and 16 GB of storage. Anyone know how teh Tegra 2 pairs up against the EVO's processor?
Tegra2 and dualcore Snapdragon match up pretty well. I don't think theres one that clearly better than the other. The positive for the Tegra2 is that a lot more games are optimized for it. So if gaming is your thing, it's definitely an advantage.
drewsg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholuv View Post
Anyone else pre-order one of these?

I'm a dev so I can't wait to get crackin' on the sweet, sweet unlocked bootloader!

$179 at Amazon: Amazon.com: Motorola Photon 4G Android Phone (Sprint): Cell Phones & Accessories

Wirefly has a discount too but I had a bad experience with them before.
I was on the verge of doing a pre-order through Amazon, but you can't pay with American Express points. Damn. Plus, for some reason, you have to add a new plan, even though you're upgrading. It's odd.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Rico college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): EVO 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsg View Post
Tegra2 and dualcore Snapdragon match up pretty well. I don't think theres one that clearly better than the other. The positive for the Tegra2 is that a lot more games are optimized for it. So if gaming is your thing, it's definitely an advantage.
I did an little write up in another thread but I have researched it further. The Tegra 2 is a nice processor but it is at the end of it's life cycle and is clearly over matched by the new snapdragons. Even games that run on Tegra are now shown to run even better on the dragons. There are reports out now stating the chips in the 3vo are under clocked for power saving reasons.

That being said, it is no slouch either.
Rico college is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico college View Post
I did an little write up in another thread but I have researched it further. The Tegra 2 is a nice processor but it is at the end of it's life cycle and is clearly over matched by the new snapdragons. Even games that run on Tegra are now shown to run even better on the dragons. There are reports out now stating the chips in the 3vo are under clocked for power saving reasons.

That being said, it is no slouch either.
Here's my thing though. Even though the 3VO is being shown as underclocked, if we're talking straight out of the box, how does the Tegra 2 match up.

From what I've seen, it's pretty even, right? Granted, a lot of the people on the forums root their phones, but I haven't even rooted my EVO after 1 year and it was fast enough for me, even when it was dragging due to some cache issues I wasn't aware of until I hard reset my phone.

If the Tegra 2 works faster than my EVO 4G out of the box, that's all that I need.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Godfather13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Can someone explain to me what underclocked and overclocked means in laymans terms?
Godfather13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 14
 
Device(s): Evo 4G ->Evo 3D ->Iphone 4s -> Evo 4G LTE -> Galaxy S3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather13 View Post
Can someone explain to me what underclocked and overclocked means in laymans terms?
So if the processor speed is at 1GHz, underclocking it would mean changing it to run at say 800MHz and overclocking it would mean changing it to run at say 1.2GHz.
Underclocking would allow it to not use as much power and use less battery, thus u would having longer battery usage before needing to charge it but slowing things down a bit. Overclocking would make it run faster, more pep to it but use more power and run a bit hotter, thus using more battery and such.
You try and find a good balance between the speed and battery life and keep the heat in mind too. For most users, the stock settings are more than adequate.

Hope this helps. :-)
vegasr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Getting back to preorders, does anybody work at best buy or know someone at best buy that can share when or if they'll be doing a preorder?
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
horn34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 42
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon, Samsung M500
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Just got back from the Sprint store, the mgr. verified no in store pre-order, but they expect to have them in stock the morning of the 31st.
horn34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Wirefly friends and family site is 149. Tempting
MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G for Sprint - Wirefly Friends and Family Store
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,990
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,205
Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico college View Post
I did an little write up in another thread but I have researched it further. The Tegra 2 is a nice processor but it is at the end of it's life cycle and is clearly over matched by the new snapdragons. Even games that run on Tegra are now shown to run even better on the dragons. There are reports out now stating the chips in the 3vo are under clocked for power saving reasons.

That being said, it is no slouch either.
what write up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Wirefly friends and family site is 149. Tempting
MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G for Sprint - Wirefly Friends and Family Store
Interesting that its $149 on a renew/upgrade.

TS
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Any predictions on the bootloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholuv View Post
Anyone else pre-order one of these?

I'm a dev so I can't wait to get crackin' on the sweet, sweet unlocked bootloader!

$179 at Amazon: Amazon.com: Motorola Photon 4G Android Phone (Sprint): Cell Phones & Accessories

Wirefly has a discount too but I had a bad experience with them before.
boalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boalt View Post
Any predictions on the bootloader?
Last couple of reports Ive read says it has a locked bootloader.
__________________
Never forget before buying a phone Motorola breaks their promise of updates.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Godfather13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
Last couple of reports Ive read says it has a locked bootloader.
How horrible is having a locked bootloader? It only means I cant delete the motorola apps that are pre-installed correct? So the benefit is bascially creating more memory by deleting? Is that a deal breaker for a phone with so much possible memory?

If it was unlocked could they be deleted right off the bat or only deleted if rooted?
Godfather13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 510
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather13 View Post
How horrible is having a locked bootloader? It only means I cant delete the motorola apps that are pre-installed correct? So the benefit is bascially creating more memory by deleting? Is that a deal breaker for a phone with so much possible memory?

If it was unlocked could they be deleted right off the bat or only deleted if rooted?
I'm not entirely sur but I don't think you can load custom roms and I know custom kernels are out of the question. As long as the system is stable with minimal to no lag I wouldn't have a problem. Now if it's like my EVO and sense constantly crashing and causing problems then I would have serious issues and want to load custom roms.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
I'm not entirely sur but I don't think you can load custom roms and I know custom kernels are out of the question. As long as the system is stable with minimal to no lag I wouldn't have a problem. Now if it's like my EVO and sense constantly crashing and causing problems then I would have serious issues and want to load custom roms.
Non-issue for me. Using launcher pro plus and not being rooted has worked just fine for me.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): Lg G2 (current) Note 2 (previously) Motorola Photon (previously)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 117
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Getting back to preorders, does anybody work at best buy or know someone at best buy that can share when or if they'll be doing a preorder?
I asked their "Twelpforce" (I think that's what it's called...)
They said they did not know & just to keep checking the web & the store. I've been checking their website every day & nothing so far.
Whiskeypawz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypawz View Post
I asked their "Twelpforce" (I think that's what it's called...)
They said they did not know & just to keep checking the web & the store. I've been checking their website every day & nothing so far.
I went into one of the nearby stores yesterday to see if they're taking pre-orders and the guy said they most likely will, but don't usually start pre-orders until 2 weeks before release. I didn't even realize that yesterday actually marked 2 weeks prior to release, so I'm wondering if a pre-order will be announced sometime within the next couple days for Best Buy.

Right now, I'm hedging between the Wirefly friends & family and Best Buy. Only reason I'm still hedging towards Best Buy is because of the rewards points I'll get from it.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): Lg G2 (current) Note 2 (previously) Motorola Photon (previously)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 117
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
I went into one of the nearby stores yesterday to see if they're taking pre-orders and the guy said they most likely will, but don't usually start pre-orders until 2 weeks before release. I didn't even realize that yesterday actually marked 2 weeks prior to release, so I'm wondering if a pre-order will be announced sometime within the next couple days for Best Buy.

Right now, I'm hedging between the Wirefly friends & family and Best Buy. Only reason I'm still hedging towards Best Buy is because of the rewards points I'll get from it.
Hopefully we'll see it soon. When I looked this morning it wasn't even on Best Buy's website. My only choice is Best Buy bec of the Buy Back Program. I'm not familiar with Wirefly, this thread was the first I've heard of it. I don't have any discounts available to me yet, as I've had the Evo less than 6 mos. If it wasn't for the fact that GB turned it into a piece of... I wouldn't be in such a hurry to upgrade.
Whiskeypawz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Can't believe there is no info on when we can start pre-ordering through BB or RS. I just realized when the phone is released I'll be out of town in Vegas on a business trip! D'oh!
burgertime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): LG Lotus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
Last couple of reports Ive read says it has a locked bootloader.
Despite best of intentions motorola photon 4g bootloader will be locked

I have read elsewhere that they are promising a software update to unlock it in the future, but as this will be my first Android phone, I am still not 100% certain what all having an unlocked boot loader will allow you to accomplish, but I know I want one
amimemeami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amimemeami View Post
Despite best of intentions motorola photon 4g bootloader will be locked

I have read elsewhere that they are promising a software update to unlock it in the future, but as this will be my first Android phone, I am still not 100% certain what all having an unlocked boot loader will allow you to accomplish, but I know I want one
If it's going to be your first android phone, why are you worried about a locked bootloader? It's still a possibility they'll unlock afterwards via ota update.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): LG Lotus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
If it's going to be your first android phone, why are you worried about a locked bootloader? It's still a possibility they'll unlock afterwards via ota update.
I am a geek, it is no fun unless you can take it apart and play with the insides. At least at a software level. Although I am no stranger to a soldering iron, and destroying those tiny little traces on accident...
amimemeami is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amimemeami View Post
I am a geek, it is no fun unless you can take it apart and play with the insides. At least at a software level. Although I am no stranger to a soldering iron, and destroying those tiny little traces on accident...
LOL...Okay. If that's the case, you may just want to hold out until it's confirmed that the bootloader will be unlocked via OTA update. If you're intention is to root the phone and get it extremely customized, then it may not be ideal for you to get the phone right out the gate.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

FYI - For those of you still unsure of where to upgrade, I just found out that Amazon doesn't charge tax on upgrades! They've entered back into the mix for me. I'm really just waiting to see when Best Buy offers pre-order and then I'll make my decision from there. No tax is a really good deal, especially in CA where they charge tax on the retail price, not the upgrade price.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
twospirits (July 19th, 2011)
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Godfather13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
FYI - For those of you still unsure of where to upgrade, I just found out that Amazon doesn't charge tax on upgrades! They've entered back into the mix for me. I'm really just waiting to see when Best Buy offers pre-order and then I'll make my decision from there. No tax is a really good deal, especially in CA where they charge tax on the retail price, not the upgrade price.
Hmm. Well since Im a Sprint Premier Member Ill prob pre-order from them so I get the phone Thursday July 28th. If for some reason thats not the case Ill look into the wirefly deal since I plan to upgrade my plan as well. However with Sprint online you dont pay for activation I think and other places like Best Buy I believe you do. Thats a $30 savings in itself.
Godfather13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,990
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,205
Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

Well being that I have 4 devices on my account, one of which is out of contract, I can use that one to upgrade to the Photon. Now I just have to decide on where and whom to do it with. Thursday is payday too so woo hoo, perfect timing.

TS
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather13 View Post
Hmm. Well since Im a Sprint Premier Member Ill prob pre-order from them so I get the phone Thursday July 28th. If for some reason thats not the case Ill look into the wirefly deal since I plan to upgrade my plan as well. However with Sprint online you dont pay for activation I think and other places like Best Buy I believe you do. Thats a $30 savings in itself.
Nope, any gold premier member doesn't have to pay activation. In fact, the past 4 upgrades, 2 of 4 on secondary lines, I haven't paid activation fees. All Best Buy mobile upgrades.

Even better, they're SO much more accommodating than Sprint as far as returns and exchanges are concerned. My first 2 EVO's I had to exchange because of issues (1-screen not responsive to touch motion, 2-bricked due to double froyo update release), and there were no questions asked when I went into exchange. The 3rd one was great, but I only got that one because they happened to have an extra the day I called (even though it was sold out everywhere) and then they let me exchange for a white one when that one was released (a week or so after my 30 days from original purchase expired).

Nontheless, I've had great experiences with best buy mobile.
drexappeal is online now  
Last edited by drexappeal; July 19th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Just got off the phone with Best Buy mobile and they still don't have a pre-order going. They guy I spoke with said, it's not even in their system yet, so I guess they're not anticipating that many orders. That said, it worries me a little that they'll be shipped limited stock. This is making me lean towards Wirefly or Amazon pre-order upgrade. If Best Buy doesn't have a pre-order by Sunday, I'm definitely doing either Wirefly or Amazon.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Godfather13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 269
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 52
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Just got off the phone with Best Buy mobile and they still don't have a pre-order going. They guy I spoke with said, it's not even in their system yet, so I guess they're not anticipating that many orders. That said, it worries me a little that they'll be shipped limited stock. This is making me lean towards Wirefly or Amazon pre-order upgrade. If Best Buy doesn't have a pre-order by Sunday, I'm definitely doing either Wirefly or Amazon.
but do you get the phone earlier then Sunday by pre-ordering thru BB or amazon? Or is that only a Sprint thing?
Godfather13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 9,289
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,044
Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather13 View Post
but do you get the phone earlier then Sunday by pre-ordering thru BB or amazon? Or is that only a Sprint thing?
Sometimes, Best Buy has early release, but I think more recently, sprint has been doing exclusive early release, starting with the evo 3d.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
burgertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 426
 
Device(s): HTC Evo LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 260 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Just saw this, with Wirefly you can now get it for 154.99 going through fatwallet...not bad.

[DEAL ALERT] Sprint Motorola Photon 4G Now Only $154 With Cashback
burgertime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burgertime For This Useful Post:
twospirits (July 20th, 2011)
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #50 (permalink)
AF's janitor
 
twospirits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Queens, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,990
 
Device(s): currently using... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note II Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 5,205
Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,730 Posts
twospirits411@gmail.com
Default

man my head is spinning, so many choices so little time lol

Ok, on an upgrade on a phone that is out of contract, would the Wire fly/Slick deals offer sound the best or is there another one better.

Also, regardless of deal or price, if one orders on Sunday, how soon would they get the phone in their hands?

TS out
twospirits is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Photon 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Sprint and Motorola have teamed up to bring us the Motorola Photon 4G, the carrier's first international handset with Android. It's a 4.3 inch powerhouse with its dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and more. ... Read More

Tags
photon


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.