Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Google Account not valid?

I have a Google account, associated with my Android tablet, that is not a gmail.com account. I can't get my Photon/Gingerbread to accept it. But all my apps, as well as contacts, etc., are associated with that account. How can I configure my Photon to work with all of them?

eric

Advertisements
ericbergan is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AndroidSPCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,216
 
Device(s): Note 2, SG S2 & S3, Evo 3D & 4G, Epic 4G, Captivate. (Moment, LG Optimus S, Vibrant)
Carrier: verizon / sprint / at&t

Thanks: 488
Thanked 479 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Welcome to Android Forums!!

Your post is not clear. What do you mean you have a Google Account, that is not a gmail account?
__________________
Big thanks to lunatic59 for my awesome Android avatars!!
cool Android phone sizing comparison page
Vital Android guide for permissions!
AndroidSPCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidSPCS View Post
Welcome to Android Forums!!

Your post is not clear. What do you mean you have a Google Account, that is not a gmail account?
I've had it for a very long time (predates gmail), and is tied to my personal domain, not gmail.com or a Google App account. Works fine with my tablet (and has my apps tied to it), works with Google Analytics, Google+, etc. But my new Photon insists on a gmail.com domain for its primary Google app.

eric
ericbergan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
AndroidSPCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,216
 
Device(s): Note 2, SG S2 & S3, Evo 3D & 4G, Epic 4G, Captivate. (Moment, LG Optimus S, Vibrant)
Carrier: verizon / sprint / at&t

Thanks: 488
Thanked 479 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Ok thanks for the clarification. I am not aware of such accounts, so unfortunately have no solution for you in this case. I hope others can assist.
AndroidSPCS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,081
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,406
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbergan View Post
I've had it for a very long time (predates gmail), and is tied to my personal domain, not gmail.com or a Google App account. Works fine with my tablet (and has my apps tied to it), works with Google Analytics, Google+, etc. But my new Photon insists on a gmail.com domain for its primary Google app.

eric
Have you tried logging onto gmail to see if it'll connect? If it predates gmail, I'm not sure how it connects to everything else that google offers. Only possible thing I can think is that you'd need to register the username as a gmail account, in order for it to link up. Try that first. If it logs you into google plus, I can't see why it wouldn't work for gmail...unless, someone had already registered that particular gmail email account.

If you don't want to do that, you don't necessarily need to log a gmail account into the phone. Just bypass the initial setup, then go to the email setup in the settings area and set up your email address as your primary.
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,377
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,731
Thanked 57,187 Times in 22,979 Posts
Default

This is a known problem for people with Google serving their mail domain prior to gmail.

Others often find that they have to bite the bullet, get a gmail account just to get things squared away, then work with adding the legacy account second.

I've seen a number of hits and misses on this - I'll look around to see if I can find some common denominator on the hits, post back if I do.
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (July 30th, 2011)
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
This is a known problem for people with Google serving their mail domain prior to gmail.

Others often find that they have to bite the bullet, get a gmail account just to get things squared away, then work with adding the legacy account second.

I've seen a number of hits and misses on this - I'll look around to see if I can find some common denominator on the hits, post back if I do.
I've been tempted to do that, but then I think I lose all the Android apps associated with my existing account, some of which are paid apps. Also, then I think I hose my tablet, because as far as I know, there is no way to change the primary Google account in honeycomb (also a known problem.)

Feels like I'm caught between a rock and a hardplace, just because some Gingerbread programer thought @gmail.com was mandatory... So any suggestions greatfully accepted!

eric
ericbergan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,377
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,731
Thanked 57,187 Times in 22,979 Posts
Default

Your apps associated with your normal Google account will be in place.

The trick is in getting your phone up and running with a gmail account - that goes and pervasively sets all google access to that - and then overriding the Market and associating your phone with that normal Google instead of the gmail one.

I'll keep looking, I've seen this accomplished, as memory serves.
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (July 30th, 2011)
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,377
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,731
Thanked 57,187 Times in 22,979 Posts
Default

What revision of Android are you running on that tablet?
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

The tablet is running Honeycomb 3.1.

Heard back from Google, apparently the issue is that 2.3 has an old version of Market bundled into it, that forces the gmail requirement. The >3.0 versions don't.

I ended up creating a gmail account for my existing Google account. So far, the world hasn't ended. My tablet still sees the market, my desktop Google apps still seem to be working, and the Photon is now seeing apps and contacts.

eric
ericbergan is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbergan For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 31st, 2011)
sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,081
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,406
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbergan View Post
The tablet is running Honeycomb 3.1.

Heard back from Google, apparently the issue is that 2.3 has an old version of Market bundled into it, that forces the gmail requirement. The >3.0 versions don't.

I ended up creating a gmail account for my existing Google account. So far, the world hasn't ended. My tablet still sees the market, my desktop Google apps still seem to be working, and the Photon is now seeing apps and contacts.

eric
It didn't mess up the fact that you had your original google account linked to your personal domain, right?

When you mentioned that, that was the only reason I didn't chime in again because I wasn't sure if creating a gmail account with the same username would cause issues with the link between your original google account name linked to your personal domain.
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
It didn't mess up the fact that you had your original google account linked to your personal domain, right?

When you mentioned that, that was the only reason I didn't chime in again because I wasn't sure if creating a gmail account with the same username would cause issues with the link between your original google account name linked to your personal domain.
No, it seemed to add the new gmail address to the existing account, so that both the gmail address and my personal domain both log into the same account. (Minor problem, gave the new gmail address a different password, which changed the password for the existing address.)

So essentially, different aliases for the same account.

Haven't checked out all the edge conditions (other people's Talk connections to me, etc.), but so far, so good.

eric
ericbergan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,081
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,406
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbergan View Post
No, it seemed to add the new gmail address to the existing account, so that both the gmail address and my personal domain both log into the same account. (Minor problem, gave the new gmail address a different password, which changed the password for the existing address.)

So essentially, different aliases for the same account.

Haven't checked out all the edge conditions (other people's Talk connections to me, etc.), but so far, so good.

eric
Nice. Okay, only other thing I'd check too is just to be sure that emails sent are still coming from your personal domain and not gmail. I'd assume that's important for you (as I know it would be for me, were I in your position).
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Nice. Okay, only other thing I'd check too is just to be sure that emails sent are still coming from your personal domain and not gmail. I'd assume that's important for you (as I know it would be for me, were I in your position).
That's not really an issue for me, because my personal domain goes through a completely different email ISP. The only thing is my "note to self" comes from and goes to the funky gmail account - I can clean that up with setting up a forward. Guess I'll have to remember to also change account for any voice command "send email", but I do that very rarely.

eric
ericbergan is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericbergan For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 31st, 2011)
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,081
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,406
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbergan View Post
That's not really an issue for me, because my personal domain goes through a completely different email ISP. The only thing is my "note to self" comes from and goes to the funky gmail account - I can clean that up with setting up a forward. Guess I'll have to remember to also change account for any voice command "send email", but I do that very rarely.

eric
Ah, okay. Well, good deal. I'm glad it worked out for what you needed (getting the apps and contacts on your phone).
drexappeal is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drexappeal For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (July 31st, 2011)
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,377
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,731
Thanked 57,187 Times in 22,979 Posts
Default

Glad it's working!

Get the NEW Android Market Now [Download]

[Poll] What do You Think of the New Android Market?
EarlyMon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Photon 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Sprint and Motorola have teamed up to bring us the Motorola Photon 4G, the carrier's first international handset with Android. It's a 4.3 inch powerhouse with its dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and more. ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.