Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default Task killer question

Ok MoPhos, at work I'm allowed to listen to music on my phonethe whole time. Well after 45 minutes of streaming digitally imported radio it will pop up asking if I want to kill the app. Is there anyway to add this to a do not kill list or lengthen the amount of time this can run before it asks me? TIA

Advertisements
__________________
Never forget before buying a phone Motorola breaks their promise of updates.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Why on earth are you using a task killer??? Totally unnecessary.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
edlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 796
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note II, Galaxy S5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 47
Thanked 142 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
Why on earth are you using a task killer??? Totally unnecessary.
The phone comes with one and you can't uninstall it, without rooting of course. After 45 minutes of continuous streaming it asks you if you would like to shut down the app. Kind of annoying but fairly innocuous since it's just an alert.
edlex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
Why on earth are you using a task killer??? Totally unnecessary.
It's the standard one that came preloaded onto the phone. I didn't download it.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlex View Post
The phone comes with one and you can't uninstall it, without rooting of course. After 45 minutes of continuous streaming it asks you if you would like to shut down the app. Kind of annoying but fairly innocuous since it's just an alert.
Yeah, I was just wondering if there is a way to put this on a do not kill list or something.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Citizen Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Motorola Photon 4G (2.3.4 w/root)
Carrier: T-Mobile, Sprint

Thanks: 163
Thanked 213 Times in 149 Posts
Default

There doesn't seem to be a way to white list apps from Moto's task manager. However, you might be able to disable the notification.

Open Task Manager -> Menu -> Settings -> uncheck Notifications
Citizen Coyote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I have used that exact app for more than 45 minutes and never had a notification pop up... not sure what the difference may be here.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
There doesn't seem to be a way to white list apps from Moto's task manager. However, you might be able to disable the notification.

Open Task Manager -> Menu -> Settings -> uncheck Notifications
The notifications are for high cpu and ram consumption not that something has been running for x amount of time. It was also unchecked on my phone already.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Citizen Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 595
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, Motorola Photon 4G (2.3.4 w/root)
Carrier: T-Mobile, Sprint

Thanks: 163
Thanked 213 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
The notifications are for high cpu and ram consumption not that something has been running for x amount of time. It was also unchecked on my phone already.
Right, I thought maybe the app you are using was somehow triggering the alert after 45 minutes. If the box isn't checked though, then obviously not. Is this a stock app or something different?
Citizen Coyote is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

So weird, I never had any such notification and to the best of my understanding the stock app killer/task manager is not enabled unless you set it up... right???
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,062
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,396
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
Ok MoPhos, at work I'm allowed to listen to music on my phonethe whole time. Well after 45 minutes of streaming digitally imported radio it will pop up asking if I want to kill the app. Is there anyway to add this to a do not kill list or lengthen the amount of time this can run before it asks me? TIA
Just curious, are you sure it's not the actual app that's asking you that?

Did you check the settings on which ever streaming app you're using to see if there's some sort of reminder or a way to keep in on all the time when it's being used?
__________________
Love the G-Note series!
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 319
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 68 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Just curious, are you sure it's not the actual app that's asking you that?

Did you check the settings on which ever streaming app you're using to see if there's some sort of reminder or a way to keep in on all the time when it's being used?
Its not the app. Its the phone. If you watch Netflix it will give you the same warning. There seems to be no way of disabling the notification. The task manager, menu , settings, disable notification does not work. This thing is very annoying as when it pops up it pause netflix. 45 minutes later it does it again.
whatsitsname is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whatsitsname For This Useful Post:
drexappeal (August 24th, 2011)
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,062
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,396
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsitsname View Post
Its not the app. Its the phone. If you watch Netflix it will give you the same warning. There seems to be no way of disabling the notification. The task manager, menu , settings, disable notification does not work. This thing is very annoying as when it pops up it pause netflix. 45 minutes later it does it again.
hmmm...Thanks for clarifying. I haven't watched or listened to music long enough to have seen that message come up.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Streptovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, LG Optimus T, Motorola Photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
Why on earth are you using a task killer??? Totally unnecessary.
How so?

I have TasKiller installed on my phone specifically for the Task Bar that comes with the app. I like being able to see what's open without going into the phone settings, how much memory I have, and being able to kill all open tasks with a tap.
Streptovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streptovsky View Post
How so?

I have TasKiller installed on my phone specifically for the Task Bar that comes with the app. I like being able to see what's open without going into the phone settings, how much memory I have, and being able to kill all open tasks with a tap.

The android operating system is designed to be far more capable of managing applications than a task killer ( manually used or automatic). Gingerbread puts live apps which are not in the foreground into hibernation which maximizes performance and battery life. When you force an app to stop you are being counter productive using up processing power and battery life. Many apps are designed to instantly go back to a "live" state as soon as you shut them down . Gingerbread hibernates them. If you constantly kill them you are wasting power, performance and time. Which is why you always see them in the live list even though you never opened them. Developers create task killers for people who don't understand these principles so they can sell advertisements and push them on you and also so their "task killer app" can steal your info and analytics and sell them to advertisers. Nothing but a Trojan horse...

Even rogue apps which go unresponsive can be force-stopped in the android settings menu. Task killers are counter-productive.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 511
 
Device(s): Motorola Photon 4G EVO 4G-Gone
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 55
Thanked 71 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
The android operating system is designed to be far more capable of managing applications than a task killer ( manually used or automatic). Gingerbread puts live apps which are not in the foreground into hibernation which maximizes performance and battery life. When you force an app to stop you are being counter productive using up processing power and battery life. Many apps are designed to instantly go back to a "live" state as soon as you shut them down . Gingerbread hibernates them. If you constantly kill them you are wasting power, performance and time. Which is why you always see them in the live list even though you never opened them. Developers create task killers for people who don't understand these principles so they can sell advertisements and push them on you and also so their "task killer app" can steal your info and analytics and sell them to advertisers. Nothing but a Trojan horse...

Even rogue apps which go unresponsive can be force-stopped in the android settings menu. Task killers are counter-productive.
I used to have the same ideas as him until I read EarlyMons report as to why they are counter productive and havent used on since. I do find it odd you use the same app as me and never have had that issue. Do you switch channels alot or leave in on one station and just go? I think, but am not sure it only does this when Im listening to a live set like Trance Around the World, ASOT, or another long set and dont touch the phone at all.
busted bones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted bones View Post
I used to have the same ideas as him until I read EarlyMons report as to why they are counter productive and havent used on since. I do find it odd you use the same app as me and never have had that issue. Do you switch channels alot or leave in on one station and just go? I think, but am not sure it only does this when Im listening to a live set like Trance Around the World, ASOT, or another long set and dont touch the phone at all.

Do you have any of the "data saver" options turned on maybe? Play around in settings. I will keep a conscious watch for the 45 minute mark next time I use my DIR app.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Streptovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, LG Optimus T, Motorola Photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
The android operating system is designed to be far more capable of managing applications than a task killer ( manually used or automatic). Gingerbread puts live apps which are not in the foreground into hibernation which maximizes performance and battery life. When you force an app to stop you are being counter productive using up processing power and battery life. Many apps are designed to instantly go back to a "live" state as soon as you shut them down . Gingerbread hibernates them. If you constantly kill them you are wasting power, performance and time. Which is why you always see them in the live list even though you never opened them. Developers create task killers for people who don't understand these principles so they can sell advertisements and push them on you and also so their "task killer app" can steal your info and analytics and sell them to advertisers. Nothing but a Trojan horse...

Even rogue apps which go unresponsive can be force-stopped in the android settings menu. Task killers are counter-productive.
When I read this, all I think of is someone spouting conspiracy theories at the street corner.

I like using TasKiller. I like being able to see what's running. And it allows me to bring a task I minimized to the foreground (i.e. playing angry birds and had to go to the home screen for something)
Streptovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streptovsky View Post
When I read this, all I think of is someone spouting conspiracy theories at the street corner.

I like using TasKiller. I like being able to see what's running. And it allows me to bring a task I minimized to the foreground (i.e. playing angry birds and had to go to the home screen for something)

Why not just create a shortcut to the running services menu item? You are running an application to find another running application... and you make it sound so practical... kinda redundant and conspiratory.
Skrillex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
drexappeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10,062
 
Device(s): G Note 3 Sprint (Jet Black), LG G3 Sprint (Gold), MoPhoQ Sprint, Mopho Sprint & G Note 8.0 Wi-fi
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 3,396
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,920 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streptovsky View Post
When I read this, all I think of is someone spouting conspiracy theories at the street corner.

I like using TasKiller. I like being able to see what's running. And it allows me to bring a task I minimized to the foreground (i.e. playing angry birds and had to go to the home screen for something)
Actually, that's been heavily discussed since the first Android phones came out. It was one of the questions I had when I first got my EVO last year, regarding using a task killer vs. not using one. I read so many different threads about it, but the more I read, I came to the conclusion that Android was much more intuitive than Windows Mobile was. On Windows Mobile, without a doubt, you had to stop apps from running in the background. With Android, everything I read was pointing to there being no difference in battery life when killing tasks (which is basically the whole point of the task killer).

I read a bunch of horror stories about phones starting to get screwed up because of the task killers and apps closing when people were still using the app, just because the task killer had cached trends of how the person would kill the app. I've gone without a task killer since I first got the EVO last year (I had pretty good battery life compared to others) and on the MoPho, I still haven't changed patterns and the MoPho gets even better battery life.

To go beyond that, my relatives all got Android phones (coming from Blackberries and iPhones) because I loved my phone so much and they loved the 4.3 screen. All of them were recommended, by AT&T reps to download a task killer. Their battery lives sucked! Then, I told them to remove the task killer and their battery lives increased. Like I mentioned, just more horror stories than "good" stories when it came to task killers.
drexappeal is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Streptovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 29
 
Device(s): HTC Droid Eris, LG Optimus T, Motorola Photon 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I use TasKiller mainly for the task bar, so I can see what's running at a glance without having to open the running applications page, through settings OR a press on the screen.

I like it. I've been using it since I got my HTC Droid Eris in December of 09, and I've never had issues with it. Not once. It was on my Eris for almost two years and it never once screwed the phone up.
Streptovsky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Photon 4G
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

Sprint and Motorola have teamed up to bring us the Motorola Photon 4G, the carrier's first international handset with Android. It's a 4.3 inch powerhouse with its dual-core Tegra 2 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage and more. ... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Photon 4G
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.