Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Motorola Triumph Not Charging.

I've had my triumph for over a week and now it doesn't want to charge when I plug the charger in. I haven't dropped it or gotten it wet. Any one had or have this problem and can help? Thank you in advance.

Advertisements
GrayFox663 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrayFox663 For This Useful Post:
sponsored links
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
odojoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 160
 
Device(s): Nexus 4, wife Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 18
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Default Triumph not charging

I had the same problem in the first few hours I had it. I just kept playing with the connectors and eventually it connected.
odojoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 40
 
Device(s): HTC Incredible, Motorola Droid, Samsung S4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Only issue I've had with charging is the Motorola rapid car charger, works GREAT btw, where I have to position the cable and have the phone lay down a certain way. Once charging, unless picked up and moved around, usually charges rapidly! Home charger, no issues.
DincMT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Charging issues with my Triumph

I too had an issue with my Triumph not charging. First, I had a Triumph with a physical problem with the usb charging port. I had to hold the cable a certain way to get it to charge. I realize that that problem is different and unrelated. I said that to say this though. The phone also had an issue where once I finally got the USB to make a good connection, the phone would charge for about 5 minutes or so, then stop charging. I though it was related possibly to the bad physical USB port on the phone where the charger plugged in. I had the phone for only a couple of days when this happened. I had taken that particular phone back to the store and exchanged it. The replacement phone had a good USB charging port. No issues with the charger physically connecting. However, a week later now, it too has stopped charging after a short time of being on the charger. You can charge the phone for about 5 minutes or so, then it stops charging. You can remove the charger and reapply, getting the same results...5 more minutes or so of charging, then it stops again. Two phones in a row along with other people having the same issue....this definitely tells me it is a problem with this model. It also seems like it would be a software controlled issue that a future update will fix. I hope a fix is found soon because I really do like this phone. I will respond again if I find out what the issue is.

P.S. This is NOT an issue where the phone stops charging when it gets too hot, as in when it is docked in the windshield of a warm car with the sun beating down on it. I'm aware of that issue as well, and the Triumph is not the only one that does this. That is "normal..." the phone gets too hot, so it must stop charging in order to help cool the device. The issue above happens when the phone is in standby and is resting on my cool night stand inside of the air conditioned house.
cubguysc is offline  
Last edited by cubguysc; August 16th, 2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Thought of additional information that may be helpful.
Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
stef7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,064
 
Device(s): LG G2 (VZW) HP Touchpad (CM), BN Nook (CM), LG Spectrum (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 81
Thanked 134 Times in 114 Posts
Default

That sounds very strange. When you got the replacement phone, did you also get a new cable and new adapter? Does this behavior change if you plug the phone into the PC via the usb cable (it should charge there).

For the phone to work for a week, then have similar problems... I don't know. It's possible it is not the phone but the battery!
stef7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 51
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I am now having the same exact issue. However, my phone does charge for more than 5 minutes. It charges to about 100% and then begins discharging with a blinking red LED (as though I have an email waiting).

I've had this phone for almost a month.

I may have to return the phone due to this.

I am unable to leave this phone plugged in ad unattended or it will begin discharging itself and I can come back to a phone with little battery life left.
marx2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am having this problem as well and it is very frustrating. Having moved from the iPhone, the battery life is almost a deal-breaker. I have had my phone for 3 weeks now and it just started having charging issues yesterday. I have powered it down and back up twice now and have the same issues as the others are describing - charges for about 5 minutes and stops. I thought it was a cable/connection issue, but it behaves the same with both of my cables.

Everyone please be sure and post your solutions/findings as you have them, ok? This is very frustrating. I need my phone!

(Oh, and where are my manners? Hi everyone!)
redwarrior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
stef7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,064
 
Device(s): LG G2 (VZW) HP Touchpad (CM), BN Nook (CM), LG Spectrum (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 81
Thanked 134 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Well rule out the AC to USB charger (I presume that's what you used with both cables). Try plugging in the phone to your computer's USB port. Does it charge?

If it doesn't it's either the battery or the phone. Otherwise, you don't know.
stef7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 51
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I had to replace my Triumph last week because the cable had to be plugged into the phone and positioned in a certain way for the phone to begin charging. This seems to be an issue with these phones.
marx2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 48
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph, rooted GT 10.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default

The transformer that came with my MT is faulty and was causing the same charge for a few min and then quit symtom as previously posted.

My solution has been to use the MT's USB cable with my Samsung Prevail's transformer alone or both it and it's USB cable. I also charge using the charging cables provided with my BB PlayBook, 8530 & 9780. In vehilce charging is successful with a Belkin USB 12v ac adaptor and the MT's USB cable or any that I've listed above plugged into my cars 115v outlet.
RRSpikes is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boondocks, Florida, where Sprint sucks, along with Verizon!
Posts: 186
 
Device(s): Motorola Atrix 4G Blur (modded) 2.3.7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 111
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
rvsidekick6@gmail.com
Default

i had this isssue... i called, they sent me a new one. not as much of an issue but its still very touchy!
rvarn1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boondocks, Florida, where Sprint sucks, along with Verizon!
Posts: 186
 
Device(s): Motorola Atrix 4G Blur (modded) 2.3.7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 111
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
rvsidekick6@gmail.com
Default

i had this isssue... i called, they sent me a new one. not as much of an issue but its still very touchy!
rvarn1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: just south of Los Angeles, CA, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 181
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 32Gb (personal) T-M iPhone 5 (work) VZ
Carrier: T-Mobile and Verizon (see phones)

Thanks: 30
Thanked 41 Times in 35 Posts
Default

I had been using an LG brand microUSB power adapter, and it would only charge the phone if the phone was turned off.

I had a Motorola brand microUSB charger (from a work bberry that I no longer have) and it works fine whether phone is powered on or not.

Not sure why this is an issue, but glad I had the options!

Guess I better check it with the VM brand car charger!
g01851 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Springfield, VA
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph, 8GB Micro-SD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

me too. Same problem. This is my second one. I still have my first one, as Virgin didn't even want it back. I love the phone. I think it was released too soon, and was not tested as thorough as one could hope. I think the financial side said "that's enough testing"...release it and lets make some $. Bad idea shareholders! Now everyone needs 2 or more replacement phones? They meed to admit it is a lemon. I am ready for an i-phone after this experience.
cskalski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Springfield, VA
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph, 8GB Micro-SD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So, is there an Android phone that are more reliable? The only sure fire way to charge my triumph is in the car. I am trying rite now to implement the "charges for 5 mins at a time" theory, and it is working, but it takes a long time. It gains 2% every five mins. Maddening. I can handle all the other issues, but I expect a new phone that costs over $300.00 to perform. I have been VERY careful with the Triumph. No drops, screen is cleaned twice daily, I have a nice leather case for it. (It has two magnets instead on one..and fits nicely on my belt w/o pinching. Got it from Best Buy for $20. please help if you guys find a fix or workaround. Thanks and good luck to us all.
cskalski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,319
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,586 Times in 442 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskalski View Post
So, is there an Android phone that are more reliable? The only sure fire way to charge my triumph is in the car. I am trying rite now to implement the "charges for 5 mins at a time" theory, and it is working, but it takes a long time. It gains 2% every five mins. Maddening. I can handle all the other issues, but I expect a new phone that costs over $300.00 to perform. I have been VERY careful with the Triumph. No drops, screen is cleaned twice daily, I have a nice leather case for it. (It has two magnets instead on one..and fits nicely on my belt w/o pinching. Got it from Best Buy for $20. please help if you guys find a fix or workaround. Thanks and good luck to us all.
It sounds like you may either have a bad charger or bad cables if your phone is working when charging using your car charger. The cable/charger that comes in the box with your original phone didn't work? whether plugged into the AC jack or your computer?
mantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 300
 
Device(s): ATT S4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Just a heads up for people - I had the same issue, spoke with Motorola customer service via chat, and they sent me a new charger. It's a much nicer charger than the stock one. It is only a charger (AC + wire are one piece), not a USB cable that pluggs into an AC adapter. It's a longer cord as well. I've had 0 issues since the charger replacement. It was completely free by the way (shipping and all) since it was under warranty (obviously all Triumphs are).
motoracer1486 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Springfield, VA
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph, 8GB Micro-SD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mad Charging shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubguysc View Post
I too had an issue with my Triumph not charging. First, I had a Triumph with a physical problem with the usb charging port. I had to hold the cable a certain way to get it to charge. I realize that that problem is different and unrelated. I said that to say this though. The phone also had an issue where once I finally got the USB to make a good connection, the phone would charge for about 5 minutes or so, then stop charging. I though it was related possibly to the bad physical USB port on the phone where the charger plugged in. I had the phone for only a couple of days when this happened. I had taken that particular phone back to the store and exchanged it. The replacement phone had a good USB charging port. No issues with the charger physically connecting. However, a week later now, it too has stopped charging after a short time of being on the charger. You can charge the phone for about 5 minutes or so, then it stops charging. You can remove the charger and reapply, getting the same results...5 more minutes or so of charging, then it stops again. Two phones in a row along with other people having the same issue....this definitely tells me it is a problem with this model. It also seems like it would be a software controlled issue that a future update will fix. I hope a fix is found soon because I really do like this phone. I will respond again if I find out what the issue is.

P.S. This is NOT an issue where the phone stops charging when it gets too hot, as in when it is docked in the windshield of a warm car with the sun beating down on it. I'm aware of that issue as well, and the Triumph is not the only one that does this. That is "normal..." the phone gets too hot, so it must stop charging in order to help cool the device. The issue above happens when the phone is in standby and is resting on my cool night stand inside of the air conditioned house.
This is exactly the same issues I am experiencing. I think the little tab inside the micro-sd port becomes loose and loses contact with the cable...causing a bad connection
I spent $300 for this thing, and I love it. I am already on my second triumph, and its charging issues are worse than the fist one. Arrrggghhhh. -Chris
cskalski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskalski View Post
This is exactly the same issues I am experiencing. I think the little tab inside the micro-sd port becomes loose and loses contact with the cable...causing a bad connection
I spent $300 for this thing, and I love it. I am already on my second triumph, and its charging issues are worse than the fist one. Arrrggghhhh. -Chris
Hey, I had the same problem. Im on my third now and it's been great. Just have them send you another. It's a pain but it's worth the effort.
breendrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
androidfonefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Having the same problem with mine.
VM just sent me a replacement phone, it got here today.
For me the Triumph was a flop as I phone but I thought the kids could use it as a small game pad. When I took it out to recharge it it would not charge, I checked the charger in a few other phones and it charges them just fine.

I have plugged other chargers in o the Triumph and they don't charge the phone either.
I have ordered a replacement battery to see if that is the problem.
I just don't get that the phone charging light doesn't even come on. I mean nothing.

I hope someone discovers a fix for this, as someone else expressed, it is aggravating for this to happen with a phone that cost over 300.00, this on top of all the other problems I had with this phone.
I wish the Triumph had been as good a phone as the LG Optimus V, I'd still be a customer to VM if it had.
androidfonefan is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfonefan View Post
Having the same problem with mine.
VM just sent me a replacement phone, it got here today.
For me the Triumph was a flop as I phone but I thought the kids could use it as a small game pad. When I took it out to recharge it it would not charge, I checked the charger in a few other phones and it charges them just fine.

I have plugged other chargers in o the Triumph and they don't charge the phone either.
I have ordered a replacement battery to see if that is the problem.
I just don't get that the phone charging light doesn't even come on. I mean nothing.

I hope someone discovers a fix for this, as someone else expressed, it is aggravating for this to happen with a phone that cost over 300.00, this on top of all the other problems I had with this phone.
I wish the Triumph had been as good a phone as the LG Optimus V, I'd still be a customer to VM if it had.
Well if it were me I'd reactivate for a month on the 35 dollar plan and at least get your replacement phone
breendrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I purchased a Triumph for my wife as a Christmas gift. It will charge when powered off but will NOT charge if powered on. I've tried charging from laptop, Motorola ac to usb, My LG micro usb charger, and even my Samsung ac to micro usb charger. Seems like a wide spread issue.
leberama is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

If you have to many problems with your USB port write Virgin Mobile an email. I did and complained it stopped working and that the charging would only work when the cable was wiggled around. The RMA my phone with a new one within 2 days of the email. They give you a new phone with no battery or back cover, you must use your old one. They also give you an envelope to mail back you old one free of charge within 45 days or they will deactivate your account. This was all free with no insurance ever on my phone. I believe they know this to be a design flaw and a major issue.

If you hate dealing with this problem do as I did. There customer service is amazing...at least for me!
emadgreek is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emadgreek For This Useful Post:
totallyconfused1 (July 13th, 2014)
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tastytoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): Moto Triumph (TG-R)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I had a different experience with VM Customer Service.

I explained to the customer service reps 3 separate times and how my MT has trouble charging. At first I thought it was the phone itself, but they said it was the charger and sent me only the Wall Charger portion (not the USB cable). I tried it and I had the same problem, contacted them again and said it's still not working. They send me ANOTHER Wall Charger (with no USB cable). I then told them I think it's the USB cable, then they replied "We are sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced due to this situation.

Be informed that we can only replace accessories as the battery or the wall charger. Any other accessories needs to be purchased separately, either online or at any retailer store. "

Lame. It's the USB cable, because my friend has an MT and I plug my phone into their charger and it's boom... instant charge even while fiddling with the phone. I'm going to buy some USB cables from Amazon.
tastytoast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastytoast View Post
I had a different experience with VM Customer Service.

I explained to the customer service reps 3 separate times and how my MT has trouble charging. At first I thought it was the phone itself, but they said it was the charger and sent me only the Wall Charger portion (not the USB cable). I tried it and I had the same problem, contacted them again and said it's still not working. They send me ANOTHER Wall Charger (with no USB cable). I then told them I think it's the USB cable, then they replied "We are sorry for the inconvenience you have experienced due to this situation.

Be informed that we can only replace accessories as the battery or the wall charger. Any other accessories needs to be purchased separately, either online or at any retailer store. "

Lame. It's the USB cable, because my friend has an MT and I plug my phone into their charger and it's boom... instant charge even while fiddling with the phone. I'm going to buy some USB cables from Amazon.
The funny thing about that, is that USB cables are dirt cheap compared to batteries and charging bricks. You would think they would be willing to replace the USB cable over the charging brick.
__________________
Nexus 7.2 is beautiful
Need more info or help? Feel free to create a free account and/ or check out your device specific forum. You can find a list of phones here and a list of tablets here
Need help finding your phone's/ tablet's forum? Feel free to pm one of the many staff members .
marc12868 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
stef7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,064
 
Device(s): LG G2 (VZW) HP Touchpad (CM), BN Nook (CM), LG Spectrum (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 81
Thanked 134 Times in 114 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastytoast View Post
I'm going to buy some USB cables from Amazon.
I've purchased OEM Motorola USB cables off eBAY and have never been disappointed. Same with my car charger.
stef7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stef7 For This Useful Post:
tastytoast (February 10th, 2012)
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tastytoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): Moto Triumph (TG-R)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef7 View Post
I've purchased OEM Motorola USB cables off eBAY and have never been disappointed. Same with my car charger.
stef7!! thanks for the advice. good to see you're still around. hope you installed CM7, it's quite a beauty. as to not threadjack, PM me
tastytoast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tastytoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 20
 
Device(s): Moto Triumph (TG-R)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default USB Cables came in, charging just fine now.

Bought the Samsung OEM USB cables from amazon for $1.30 each with free ship. Always charges instantly when I plug it in. Odd thing is that after a charge, i.e. after I wake up, it shows the battery has used some charge. My assumption is that after it hits 100% it stops using a/c power. But other than that it works great.
tastytoast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
ziggy46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chambersburg, Pa
Posts: 1,689
 
Device(s): HTC Amaze 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 468
Thanked 612 Times in 360 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastytoast View Post
Bought the Samsung OEM USB cables from amazon for $1.30 each with free ship. Always charges instantly when I plug it in. Odd thing is that after a charge, i.e. after I wake up, it shows the battery has used some charge. My assumption is that after it hits 100% it stops using a/c power. But other than that it works great.

may i suggest some profile pics? tasty toast






__________________


Devices: Motorola Triumph (sold), HTC Amaze 4g

If you like what i do, feel free to Donate
ziggy46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 280
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus, Viewsonic gTablet, Nook Color, Archos A43IT, Archos A32IT
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I ended up having the MT(I was one of the first people to have one actually got it before it was officially launched) stop charging with ANY charger. (Usually I just use my Nook Color charger for ALL of my phones/tablets/devices and it had always worked with the MT for about 6m.)

The first time that it happened I noticed fairly soon and a simple popout the batt then back in did the trick, then about a month later(December) it got to the point where it wouldn't charge(no light indicator/wouldn't reboot etc.) with ANY charger even the packaged one. So VM sent me another battery, still no go(messed artound with it for a week as I still had the OV to fall backon), called a second and got a phone sent out which showed up the next day IIRC(or the 2nd day after FAR more quickly that I expected).

2nd one it still ticking, and I've got a second battery now as VM didn't want my old batt or the replacement that they sent me back...

But yeah, I'll be pissed it it reoccurs esp IF it happens after the 1y std warranty is up, but in that case it might be my sign to go with T Mobile(since they're out of danger of being steamrolled by one of the evil empires ATM) and actually truly topend multi-core cortex-a9 CPU phone and their $50/m plan.

(The OV was just as crippled as I remembered it to be... It was a crime to make a modern phone with so little RAM and internal storage!)
cutterjohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
I ended up having the MT(I was one of the first people to have one actually got it before it was officially launched) stop charging with ANY charger. (Usually I just use my Nook Color charger for ALL of my phones/tablets/devices and it had always worked with the MT for about 6m.)

The first time that it happened I noticed fairly soon and a simple popout the batt then back in did the trick, then about a month later(December) it got to the point where it wouldn't charge(no light indicator/wouldn't reboot etc.) with ANY charger even the packaged one. So VM sent me another battery, still no go(messed artound with it for a week as I still had the OV to fall backon), called a second and got a phone sent out which showed up the next day IIRC(or the 2nd day after FAR more quickly that I expected).

2nd one it still ticking, and I've got a second battery now as VM didn't want my old batt or the replacement that they sent me back...

But yeah, I'll be pissed it it reoccurs esp IF it happens after the 1y std warranty is up, but in that case it might be my sign to go with T Mobile(since they're out of danger of being steamrolled by one of the evil empires ATM) and actually truly topend multi-core cortex-a9 CPU phone and their $50/m plan.

(The OV was just as crippled as I remembered it to be... It was a crime to make a modern phone with so little RAM and internal storage!)
I have T-mobile and they're awesome IMO. Also it's funny cuz the OV has the same amount of ram as the MT. Ram has little to nothing to do with android it's all about processing power really, but even then it doesn't matter a whole lot after a certain point.
marc12868 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
androidfonefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 248
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Screen size aside, IMHO the OVs main short fall is on board memory. They could have trippled it and charged a little bit more and it would have been a more than acceptable phone.
While I don't use the V anymore I do currently use the LG Thrive on ST/AT&T and it works fine except that the internal memory is filling up, I have a SD card in and move as much as I can over to it, but there is just not enough that gets moved over to help with the on board space.
androidfonefan is offline  
Last edited by androidfonefan; June 14th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 159
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to novak921
Default

Ugh, I got a replacement Triumph a few months ago because of the GPS issue and now my charging port is going bad like you guys. The phone charges but if I move the charger cable slightly, it stops. This just started today completely out of the blue.

This will be my 3rd Triumph replacement phone to date. They told me the Triumph is currently out of stock and it will take up to 5 days to get another one in so luckily in my case, the phone does still charge.

The only consolation I have with swapping Triumphs is that I doubt I will ever make it past the 1 year warranty without each Triumph going bad so I'll always be under warranty lol

Add me to the list of Bad charging ports.

~Novak
novak921 is offline  
Last edited by novak921; March 23rd, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novak921 For This Useful Post:
zaphodbblx (May 27th, 2012)
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'll just add a 'mee too' to the list of people with charging port problems. I got a replacement back in December because it stopped charging at all, and now the replacement is starting to show the same symptoms. I have to plug it in and have the cord raised up in order for it to charge at all. I'll probably be sending this one back too.
azurensis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): Motorolla Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SmpsonH
Default

I'm not sure if I'm having the same problem as you guys. I had the same phone for 7 months and once about a month ago the battery just died and wouldn't seem to charge or work at all anymore. I replaced the battery and it worked fine for the next month or so. Then I had to get my phone replaced on an unrelated issue, and the first night I went to charge my new phone with the old battery it died and had the same problem as that other battery. BUT it doesn't charge in my older phone either which I never really had that problem with. I still have old battery too and neither battery will charge with either phone with an assortment of chargers. Makes me think this is a battery problem rather than phone issue.
SmpsonH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default It's the USB port

I have two Triumphs. Very finicky, I have micro USB cables that charge everything under the sun, but will not charge the Triumph. When I connect the Motorola OEM cable, they charge just fine. Very odd and frustrating. The USB port on the Triumph is very cheap, so it will not always make good contact with the a standard cable, for some reason the tolerances on the OEM Motorola cable seem tighter so that is what I stick with. I bought another Motorola OEM charger and cable on ebay just to have a backup.
vonderloost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 246
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Had this problem last week. What solved it was taking the battery out and plugging it into an external charger (I did it at the radio shack store on a display charger). Only kept it on there for about 10 seconds. After that, all charging problems went away.
lanceg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Western MA
Posts: 66
 
Device(s): Virgin Mobile Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 54
Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default

add me to the list, my phone is going tharn too but its too much trouble to unroot and rom it because i've decided to quit after this month
Going tharn - WordReference Forums
zaphodbblx is offline  
Last edited by zaphodbblx; May 27th, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 157
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph (CM7 G60 Style and CM9 Alpha), Nexus 7 4.1.1 Stock+Rooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 79
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Same, add me too. Hopefully I'll be moving on to the Evo V or Gnex.
__________________
What's a signature???
shiv81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 140
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I'm now getting this with mine too and in my case it's definitely an issue of the physical connection of the USB cable and the port. I tried contact cleaner on both, which seemed to improve, but not resolve the issue. You plug it in, red light comes on, you set it down and come back an hour later and it hasn't charged at all. Must be something internal, right? Not always, if you stood there looking at it you would see the red light go out and if you jiggled the cable you'd see it come back on again. With a lighted magnifying jeweler's lens, looking at the port on the phone I can see that it's become somewhat worn, and the outer metal jacket shows signs of fatigue cracking at the corners and has expanded somewhat. The conductors inside are not bent, worn or dirty.
Looking at the conductors on the charger cable shows a troubling thing, the pins on each end are standing up straight and tall, while the 3 in the middle are all obviously both recessed/depressed in height and depth.
Assuming all 5 conductors are utilized the issue on mine and probably some of yours is simply wear on both the port and the charger plug. Since the charger cable is easy to replace I'll try this first and will expect an improvement albeit with the likelyhood it will still require fiddling because of the wear on the phone port.
batvette is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tokens210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clifton Heights, PA (Just Outside Philadelphia)
Gender: Male
Posts: 844
 
Device(s): Moto Triumph MTDEV-CM7-20130303(Retired), Samsung Galaxy S3 Running CM11-20140812
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 104
Thanked 181 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batvette View Post
I'm now getting this with mine too and in my case it's definitely an issue of the physical connection of the USB cable and the port. I tried contact cleaner on both, which seemed to improve, but not resolve the issue. You plug it in, red light comes on, you set it down and come back an hour later and it hasn't charged at all. Must be something internal, right? Not always, if you stood there looking at it you would see the red light go out and if you jiggled the cable you'd see it come back on again. With a lighted magnifying jeweler's lens, looking at the port on the phone I can see that it's become somewhat worn, and the outer metal jacket shows signs of fatigue cracking at the corners and has expanded somewhat. The conductors inside are not bent, worn or dirty.
Looking at the conductors on the charger cable shows a troubling thing, the pins on each end are standing up straight and tall, while the 3 in the middle are all obviously both recessed/depressed in height and depth.
Assuming all 5 conductors are utilized the issue on mine and probably some of yours is simply wear on both the port and the charger plug. Since the charger cable is easy to replace I'll try this first and will expect an improvement albeit with the likelyhood it will still require fiddling because of the wear on the phone port.

yea, the micro USB ports on our device are known to have issues, and on top of that, if you ever used usb drives or such on a pc youve seen that sometimes there really picky if there not inserted straight in, thats what i believe alot of the chrage troubles come from, stretching out that inner sleeve designed to hold the charger right and straight in place, altho cable wear can deff be a part as well, the only up side i ever see to this, is its such a known issue that VM tends to replace the phones without any trouble
Tokens210 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
Resident Slide Rule Guru
 
OverByter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G,Triumph CM7 TG=Reloaded, Intercept UD6, HTC Wildfire S HBOOT Unlocked w/s-off
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 403
Thanked 918 Times in 656 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to OverByter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batvette View Post
I'm now getting this with mine too and in my case it's definitely an issue of the physical connection of the USB cable and the port. I tried contact cleaner on both, which seemed to improve, but not resolve the issue. You plug it in, red light comes on, you set it down and come back an hour later and it hasn't charged at all. Must be something internal, right? Not always, if you stood there looking at it you would see the red light go out and if you jiggled the cable you'd see it come back on again. With a lighted magnifying jeweler's lens, looking at the port on the phone I can see that it's become somewhat worn, and the outer metal jacket shows signs of fatigue cracking at the corners and has expanded somewhat. The conductors inside are not bent, worn or dirty.
Looking at the conductors on the charger cable shows a troubling thing, the pins on each end are standing up straight and tall, while the 3 in the middle are all obviously both recessed/depressed in height and depth.
Assuming all 5 conductors are utilized the issue on mine and probably some of yours is simply wear on both the port and the charger plug. Since the charger cable is easy to replace I'll try this first and will expect an improvement albeit with the likelyhood it will still require fiddling because of the wear on the phone port.
The pins are like that intentionally, the outer ones are ground which makes contact first before the power and data pins make contact.
OverByter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 140
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Update, found a good fix for this..... squeeze the shell on the charger end (male) plug just a bit. Now with a magnifying glass and a sewing needle gently and slighly pry up the 2 pairs of outer tensioning devices on that charger cable male plug to restore and even augment their original spring action.
Guarantee if your phone port is worn this will help noticeably if not fix it altogether for awhile. Then do it again.

(PS don't forget to clean the phone port contacts removing the battery first of course)

Now I can wiggle it around at will light stays on, and lights up first time every time when you plug it in.
batvette is offline  
Last edited by batvette; July 25th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I am a current owner of a Triumph even though I just most recently switched back to Sprint so that I could get the new Galaxy S3.

I had someone at work interested in my Triumph. It had been sitting for a few weeks with no charge and was dead. I plugged the phone in last night to charge with the included Motorola charger. I forgot about the phone this morning and when I returned home this afternoon it had not charged at all.

I tried some of the suggestions in this thread and kept getting a slow blinking red charge light. Held the power button down and would get the on screen battery charging icon with a red thunder bolt. It would then just shut back off and start the red blinking charge light again.

For some reason I decided to remove the USB cable from the provided charging brick and plugged it into my Toshiba laptop. Pressed the power button on the Triumph and it started showing the progressive on screen battery showing that it was charging. I removed the USB from my laptop and plugged it back into the charging brick. Now the battery is charging like normal.

It seems like my laptop gave it a jump start once the PC noticed that it was connected.

Why would this happen?
bman7163 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph,LG Optimus Slider,Samsung Intercept
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Yea my MT is having this issue too.
rileyper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #46 (permalink)
Resident Slide Rule Guru
 
OverByter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G,Triumph CM7 TG=Reloaded, Intercept UD6, HTC Wildfire S HBOOT Unlocked w/s-off
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 403
Thanked 918 Times in 656 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to OverByter
Default

Li-ion batteries have a circuit built in that when the power drops below a set level they won't accept a charge. I think that it was designed to prevent thermal runaway, after laying around unused, especially if it's an older battery it might have dropped below that threshold and somehow by switching to your laptop it must have risen above that level. Sounds good on paper anyway.
OverByter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #47 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Cherry Mobile Magnum HD
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Similar phone. Same issue.

I have a Huawei Ideos X6 (Cherry Mobile Magnum HD), and I've been experiencing this same issue. I've been getting by through charging my battery packs (I have three) externally.

I know that my phone isn't exactly the same as the Motorola Triumph, but I figured that knowing that this issue also exists in Magnums (mine at least) might help in some way in solving this puzzle...
sgtpepper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #48 (permalink)
Resident Slide Rule Guru
 
OverByter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G,Triumph CM7 TG=Reloaded, Intercept UD6, HTC Wildfire S HBOOT Unlocked w/s-off
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 403
Thanked 918 Times in 656 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to OverByter
Default

Pretty much the same phone, a few cosmetic differences but the hardware is pretty close to being a clone.
OverByter is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Didn't read all the posts so I don't know if this was covered all ready, however I was sold a triumph with a bad charging port, contacted motorola, within 10 days I had a new circuit board with a working microusb port! Backup your data before sending it, everything will be wiped.
solmakou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph,LG Optimus Slider,Samsung Intercept
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 9
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

!!!Possible Working Charging Cable!!!

I was at work and someone had left their charger in the wall, i noticed it was a HTC usb charger and a kindle cable so i tried it and my phone was charging. Wiggled around and it didn't disconnect, and i disconnected and looked in the cable and the wires are very visible so its making great contact when i plug in. Amazon Link Your experience may vary, I've only used this on my phone and no one else has tried it...yet.
rileyper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Triumph
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Triumph for Virgin Mobile sports a 4.1-inch screen on a super thin .4-inch body. With a 5MP camera that shoots HD video, a VGA front-facing camera, and HDMI-out, the Triumph offers a great set of features for Virgin Mobile customers ea... Read More

Tags
motorola triumph not charging.


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.