Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Default Motorola Is Preparing Update?



From the following thread on Motorola Triumph owners forum, one may decipher that official update to Triumph is probably in works. As always they are not providing any ETA. Refer to a chat session between Triumph owner and Motorola support person post. At least the the support person has mentioned about work in progress for the update in the chat. It is on Page 2 of the post.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/56547?tstart=0

As always, Virgin Mobile USA will need to work with Motorola and Google to release OTA update.

Should we expect update in next few months?


Advertisements
EdAndInn is offline  
Last edited by agentc13; November 30th, 2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added prefix
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,106
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: RedPocket, Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 964 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAndInn View Post


From the following thread on Motorola Triumph owners forum, one may decipher that official update to Triumph is probably in works. As always they are not providing any ETA. Refer to a chat session between Triumph owner and Motorola support person post. At least the the support person has mentioned about work in progress for the update in the chat. It is on Page 2 of the post.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/56547?tstart=0

As always, Virgin Mobile USA will need to work with Motorola and Google to release OTA update.

Should we expect update in next few months?

Yeah that thread's a bit old by now. I don't know if Motorola can do any software fixes that isn't already applied in the CM7 ROM. If anything they need better quality control. Seems like a lot of packaged phones were sent out to customers that should've never passed inspections if only they did some testing, even if it's not on every phone, to get 2-3 replacement phones that are also defective is very disturbing. But hopefully now they worked out the kinks a few months after initial production started.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Lightbulb The thread is old but there is new post



The post is fron Nov 29th by jonnyneck

See the chat between Babylyn and Paul

28. Nov 29, 2011 3:15 PM (in response to cougle)

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/56547?start=15&tstart=0

EdAndInn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

If Virgin Mobile decided to start doing OTA updates I think the world would end... Sure they did one for the Samsung Intercept, but that was once and it was updated to 2.2 when 2.3 started coming out... It took them months and months to even release and by that point there weren't many people who were using it anyways because of newer VM phones (Optimus V). So if they do an OTA update I would be happy but highly surprised... What they may do is just load newer software on there phones and the such and start selling them with out OTA updates for other phones...
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,106
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: RedPocket, Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 964 Times in 325 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12868 View Post
If Virgin Mobile decided to start doing OTA updates I think the world would end... Sure they did one for the Samsung Intercept, but that was once and it was updated to 2.2 when 2.3 started coming out... It took them months and months to even release and by that point there weren't many people who were using it anyways because of newer VM phones (Optimus V). So if they do an OTA update I would be happy but highly surprised... What they may do is just load newer software on there phones and the such and start selling them with out OTA updates for other phones...
Yup, this sounds most likely what they would do *IF* they have an update. It's a lot more complicated to support OTA updates than just shipping new phones with them, and then offer people who really want to update to bring them into service, and a technician just reflashes the new ROM. The OV originally came with Android 2.2.1, latest shipping phones come with 2.2.2.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAndInn View Post


The post is fron Nov 29th by jonnyneck

See the chat between Babylyn and Paul

28. Nov 29, 2011 3:15 PM (in response to cougle)

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/56547?start=15&tstart=0

It looks like some idiot employee who doesn't know anything... Our devs on this forum do more and know more about the phone than Motorola :/ although that is a good thing that Isaac and Tickerguy addressed most of the issues
marc12868 is offline  
Last edited by marc12868; November 30th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
Yup, this sounds most likely what they would do *IF* they have an update. It's a lot more complicated to support OTA updates than just shipping new phones with them, and then offer people who really want to update to bring them into service, and a technician just reflashes the new ROM. The OV originally came with Android 2.2.1, latest shipping phones come with 2.2.2.
The really stupid thing about it all is that thee triumph has a software update in settings... Although it seems to be from the sdcard not even OTA... But since no one is ever gonna do a software update for it its another useless feature to add...
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,907
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,175
Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,816 Posts
Default

Moved this to it's own thread, probably better to keep the other one on topic, and people will probably see this discussion better this way as well.
agentc13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agentc13 For This Useful Post:
iSnow (November 30th, 2011)
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 238
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph {MIUI} Optimus V (CM7)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 240
Thanked 74 Times in 29 Posts
iSnowCM7
Default

seems legit.
iSnow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Well, there goes any hopes for a ICS release.
lifeblows10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lifeblows10 For This Useful Post:
iSnow (November 30th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeblows10 View Post
Well, there goes any hopes for a ICS release.
There goes any hope for an official ICS release.
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marc12868 For This Useful Post:
lifeblows10 (November 30th, 2011)
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,907
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,175
Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,816 Posts
Default

I didn't see where they said that? Sounds to me like they didn't say much of anything except "we're working on it" which can mean we are working on it, or we are doing nothing, but want to appease you all. lol. Did i just miss something?
agentc13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentc13 View Post
I didn't see where they said that? Sounds to me like they didn't say much of anything except "we're working on it" which can mean we are working on it, or we are doing nothing, but want to appease you all. lol. Did i just miss something?
What do you mean? The ICS update? I just know that there won't be one because VM just gets new phones when they start getting older it seems... There has been 1 ota update in the history of VMUSA i'm fairly certain.
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,907
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,175
Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,816 Posts
Default

Yeah, I mean I wouldn't count on them doing it, but you never know.
agentc13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
ziggy46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chambersburg, Pa
Posts: 1,689
 
Device(s): HTC Amaze 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 468
Thanked 612 Times in 360 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12868 View Post
What do you mean? The ICS update? I just know that there won't be one because VM just gets new phones when they start getting older it seems... There has been 1 ota update in the history of VMUSA i'm fairly certain.
and that was to the crappy intercept!
ziggy46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy46 View Post
and that was to the crappy intercept!
Yea! Glad i didn't upgrade from my rumor touch to it... I waited and then they came out with the Optimus V. Much Better!
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentc13 View Post
I didn't see where they said that? Sounds to me like they didn't say much of anything except "we're working on it" which can mean we are working on it, or we are doing nothing, but want to appease you all. lol. Did i just miss something?
If they are "working" on one, they would only have 2.3 available to them to work with, not 4.0. AND, VMUSA only did the one OTA update, and that took them 3 months to roll out the update. Luckily, someone posted it online the second it came out.
lifeblows10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,907
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,175
Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,816 Posts
Default

Pretty sure there is a good chance Motorola had the ICS source before it was publicly released. Seeing as google owns their cell phone stuff. But that is speculation.
agentc13 is offline  
Last edited by agentc13; November 30th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
PerkinsII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 282
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph (Tickerguy's CM7), LG Optimus V (CM7.2-RC3)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 34
Thanked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I won't believe it true till its out, but I hope they do
__________________
Always have your stuff when you need it with Dropbox. 2GB account is free!
Quote:
There's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!
-The Doctor
Donation Link
PerkinsII is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentc13 View Post
Pretty sure there is a good chance Motorola had the ICS source before it was publicly released. Seeing as google owns their cell phone stuff. But that is speculation.
Even if Motorola had the source code its ultimately up to the cell phone provider to distribute the update... At least OTA updates... I guess motorola could do an update through us downloading it and updating that way, but still I think its still ultimately up to VM.
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,907
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,175
Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,816 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12868 View Post
Even if Motorola had the source code its ultimately up to the cell phone provider to distribute the update... At least OTA updates... I guess motorola could do an update through us downloading it and updating that way, but still I think its still ultimately up to VM.
Very true, I just talked about Moto, cause the link was from their site.
agentc13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

I really hope we don't get neglected, this phone is the flagship device (price and feature wise) for VMU, why can't it have the flagship operating system?

I know, I'm preaching to the choir on this one. Lets hope that Moto sticks with their past and will update this phone (as it has with many, but not all) to at least GB if not ICS
lifeblows10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #23 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 49
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAndInn View Post


From the following thread on Motorola Triumph owners forum, one may decipher that official update to Triumph is probably in works. As always they are not providing any ETA. Refer to a chat session between Triumph owner and Motorola support person post. At least the the support person has mentioned about work in progress for the update in the chat. It is on Page 2 of the post.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/56547?tstart=0

As always, Virgin Mobile USA will need to work with Motorola and Google to release OTA update.

Should we expect update in next few months?

I read through that entire thread in the Motorola support website, and to me it sounds like Motorola has not and will not put a lot of resources on fixing the Triumph. Not only does this phone have glaring software issues, but it also has hardware issues.

I have read that this is not even a "true" Motorola device, and that Huawei (or someone else) manufactured this phone.

After reading this support thread, I am happy with my decision to pass on this phone. It is not up to the standards of all the other Motorola phones that I have owned, i.e - StarTac, Razor, Droid, and a few others.

However, I do not discount that this phone works great for a good number of people and they are satisfied with the phone. Thumbs up if this phone works for you.
UnixPimp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
ziggy46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chambersburg, Pa
Posts: 1,689
 
Device(s): HTC Amaze 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 468
Thanked 612 Times in 360 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeblows10 View Post
If they are "working" on one, they would only have 2.3 available to them to work with, not 4.0. AND, VMUSA only did the one OTA update, and that took them 3 months to roll out the update. Luckily, someone posted it online the second it came out.
holy hell! us users can distribute firmware updates better than a freakin company can! and its not hard to capture the links to the OTA updates either! lol
ziggy46 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 189
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Laugh Why not ICS instead of GB update



I hope Motorola would provide ICS update for this phone instead of GB update. That would save them time, money and efforts. It would also solidify their reputation. It would be good for VMUSA as they will sell more Triumphs. It would be great for customers as their Triumph would have latest OS.

After all Triumph has all the Hardware to support ICS update. Then why not ICS update?

At the end of the day this phone is going to get ICS update via CyanogenMod channel anyways. Sooner or later! I hope CyanogenMod Dev team beats Motorola Dev Team in this race.

EdAndInn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdAndInn View Post


I hope Motorola would provide ICS update for this phone instead of GB update. That would save them time, money and efforts. It would also solidify their reputation. It would be good for VMUSA as they will sell more Triumphs. It would be great for customers as their Triumph would have latest OS.

After all Triumph has all the Hardware to support ICS update. Then why not ICS update?

At the end of the day this phone is going to get ICS update via CyanogenMod channel anyways. Sooner or later! I hope CyanogenMod Dev team beats Motorola Dev Team in this race.

I like how optimistic you are! But you know what would save them them time, money, and resources? Them not ever creating an official update... Companies don't Luke prepaid phones it seems...
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,106
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: RedPocket, Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 964 Times in 325 Posts
Default

The most realistic hope is to have them release the source code so that the community can work on improving it, it saves them money, time, and improves reputation. Most company devs work on the next & greatest device, upgrading an old device is not worth it for the companies unless it's a huge disaster.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Triumph
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Triumph for Virgin Mobile sports a 4.1-inch screen on a super thin .4-inch body. With a 5MP camera that shoots HD video, a VGA front-facing camera, and HDMI-out, the Triumph offers a great set of features for Virgin Mobile customers ea... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.