Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II i777
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Touch screen sensitivity?

I traded in my Wildfire S for the Triumph a few weeks ago, and I've noticed that the screen sensitivity is not NEAR the same as on the Wildfire S or my iPod touch. If I'm typing fast and light, every few letters (ESPECIALLY the space bar) sometimes will not react to my touch.

I have a screen protector, but every other touchscreen device I've owned has had one also so I doubt that's the problem.

Is bad touch sensitivity common with the Triumph? It's not too bad or anything, but I find myself having to touch a lot harder than when I had my Wildfire S.

Advertisements
ryan770 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 15th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
MediocreBadGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 468
 
Device(s): Nexus4 16GB, Nexus7 16GB
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 132
Thanked 157 Times in 130 Posts
Default

the Triumph comes with a preinstalled screen protector...and a VERY thick one I might add. If you remove it, it helps a ton.
MediocreBadGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 959 Times in 321 Posts
Default

I suspect there's a software bug buried deep inside that occasionally ignores touches (if something else is going on in the background threads). The response is fine when it's working, it even responds to the lightest touch on my MT & I have the default screen protector on, but occasionally it'll just not register, if I retry it picks things up right where it left off. Just kind of annoying since it's random.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II i777
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hmm, I did notice the stock screen protector was thick, but I had it replaced with an anti-glare one, which I also had on my Wildfire. I haven't tried it without a screen protector though, it's just I haven't had this issue with other devices. It just seems to not respond to the lightest touch most a lot and seems a bit laggy when it does.

I've had to install SwiftKey X, since it's extremely great predictive capabilities have helped as I misspell almost every other word when I'm typing, something I never do when I used my iPod touch.

Really I'm not too upset about it, just wondering. It does what it needs to do, just not a smoothly as I'd hoped.

I'm going to order some normal screen protectors (the anti glare is just taking so much away from the screens clarity!) so when they come in I'll take the current one off and test the screen.
ryan770 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
MediocreBadGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 468
 
Device(s): Nexus4 16GB, Nexus7 16GB
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 132
Thanked 157 Times in 130 Posts
Default

I've noticed SwiftKey X lags when I type real fast aswell..on my Triumph and Optimus V. Try the stock keyboard or another to see if the same thing happens. I use Smart Keyboard Pro and get no lag, but also have no screen protector. My Triumph's touchscreen is super responsive without it.
MediocreBadGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan770 View Post
Hmm, I did notice the stock screen protector was thick, but I had it replaced with an anti-glare one, which I also had on my Wildfire. I haven't tried it without a screen protector though, it's just I haven't had this issue with other devices. It just seems to not respond to the lightest touch most a lot and seems a bit laggy when it does.

I've had to install SwiftKey X, since it's extremely great predictive capabilities have helped as I misspell almost every other word when I'm typing, something I never do when I used my iPod touch.

Really I'm not too upset about it, just wondering. It does what it needs to do, just not a smoothly as I'd hoped.

I'm going to order some normal screen protectors (the anti glare is just taking so much away from the screens clarity!) so when they come in I'll take the current one off and test the screen.
I would recommend getting a Zagg invisible shield... there a bit pricey ($21ish before taxes), but its 3mm of military grade plastic and has a lifetime warranty if it gets damaged they'll replace it free...

Also I don't have any problems with touch sensitivity per se, but like what whyzor said with it not responding to a touch occasionally, but its not too bad and can maybe fixed somehow by editing the software...
__________________
Nexus 7.2 is beautiful
Need more info or help? Feel free to create a free account and/ or check out your device specific forum. You can find a list of phones here and a list of tablets here
Need help finding your phone's/ tablet's forum? Feel free to pm one of the many staff members .
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 432
 
Device(s): Optimus V, Motorola Triumph, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Default

the triumph may have a problem crossing axis' on the touchscreen, but mine has one of the most sensitive touchscreens ive ever used.

it doesnt miss taps, not on MIUI anyways, (havent been on another rom long enough to test, moved to miui in 10 minutes of owning the phone.)

the touchscreen will even tap items if my finger is 1 or 2mm away from the screen.

if anything its a bit too sensitive.

I have seen people who are used to using cheapie featurephones with resistive screens and they try a modern phone and they poke the screen hard with their fingernail. you just cant do that on a capacitive screen, it wont sense correctly through nail and will feel awful.

the OP seems like he knows cap touch screens, so maybe its a unit with a bad ground? the phone does have grounding issues, on mine if I open the battery door and have a finger on any of the metal contacts the screen becomes useless. I wouldnt use the phone like that ever, but i discovered it by accident.
shmackshmack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmackshmack View Post
I have seen people who are used to using cheapie featurephones with resistive screens and they try a modern phone and they poke the screen hard with their fingernail. you just cant do that on a capacitive screen, it wont sense correctly through nail and will feel awful.

the OP seems like he knows cap touch screens, so maybe its a unit with a bad ground? the phone does have grounding issues, on mine if I open the battery door and have a finger on any of the metal contacts the screen becomes useless. I wouldnt use the phone like that ever, but i discovered it by accident.
I know what you mean by that... I went to the OV from the rumor touch and had a hell of a time getting use to it...

Also I think that grounding issue is just on yours ... I can touch any 1 or all and still use my screen fine...
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 432
 
Device(s): Optimus V, Motorola Triumph, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12868 View Post
I know what you mean by that... I went to the OV from the rumor touch and had a hell of a time getting use to it...

Also I think that grounding issue is just on yours ... I can touch any 1 or all and still use my screen fine...

yeah they dont all do it, but its something the OP should test and eliminate as a possible cause of their problems.


I know someone who sharpened her pointer and thumb nails into long points so it was easier to use her resistive screen PC tablet and older windows phone, and now that she moved to android she broke 3 screens trying to "make this damn touchscreen work!!" haha seriously. the very idea of using a finger and not a sharp nail or stylus eludes her
shmackshmack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmackshmack View Post
yeah they dont all do it, but its something the OP should test and eliminate as a possible cause of their problems.


I know someone who sharpened her pointer and thumb nails into long points so it was easier to use her resistive screen PC tablet and older windows phone, and now that she moved to android she broke 3 screens trying to "make this damn touchscreen work!!" haha seriously. the very idea of using a finger and not a sharp nail or stylus eludes her
Yea... Thats not good lol. I never had that problem (mainly cuz I didn't sharpen my nails to a point lol), the only thing that kinda sucked about going from a resistive to a capacitive touchscreen is you can only use a finger or something that can transfer energy to the screen (like a battery, rubber, etc.). But capacitive screens are better with android system anyways since there's lots of swiping and such and with a resistive it would be kinda annoying... I haven't used a resistive touch screen in forever though... (although I do still have my Rumor touch... Kinda... well a bricked mobo anyways...)

But as to the touchscreen responsiveness its normally very responsive... There are times when running a cpu intensive game or very rarely that it stops responding randomly, but if it happens a lot then I would consider getting a replacement. It could be that the digitizer is defective or (not very likely, but possible) that it isn't fully plugged into the mobo...
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 24
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II i777
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmackshmack View Post
the triumph may have a problem crossing axis' on the touchscreen, but mine has one of the most sensitive touchscreens ive ever used.

it doesnt miss taps, not on MIUI anyways, (havent been on another rom long enough to test, moved to miui in 10 minutes of owning the phone.)

the touchscreen will even tap items if my finger is 1 or 2mm away from the screen.

if anything its a bit too sensitive.

I have seen people who are used to using cheapie featurephones with resistive screens and they try a modern phone and they poke the screen hard with their fingernail. you just cant do that on a capacitive screen, it wont sense correctly through nail and will feel awful.

the OP seems like he knows cap touch screens, so maybe its a unit with a bad ground? the phone does have grounding issues, on mine if I open the battery door and have a finger on any of the metal contacts the screen becomes useless. I wouldnt use the phone like that ever, but i discovered it by accident.
Nope, grounding seems fine.

But I know what you mean about being like 1mm away and it touches, that's exactly what my other devices are like. I can VERY lightly touch my Triumph's screen and brush my finger around and it wont respond (it might catch after second though) because I'm not pressing hard enough, so I'm thinking something might be defective.

How would I go about getting a replacement? I already traded my Wildfire S back in for the Triumph at Best Buy, and that was only because it was during the holidays. I bought the 1 year accidental warranty, but not the manufacturer defect warranty so I'm not sure how that'd work.


edit:
And just a note, I AM using CM7, but it's was exactly the same on the stock rom and the MIUI rom.

edit2:
well I took the screen protector off because it was just bugging me. Then cleaned the screen, and then beat up my phone a little bit out of frustration haha.

It seems to be better. I think.
ryan770 is offline  
Last edited by ryan770; January 16th, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan770 View Post
Nope, grounding seems fine.

But I know what you mean about being like 1mm away and it touches, that's exactly what my other devices are like. I can VERY lightly touch my Triumph's screen and brush my finger around and it wont respond (it might catch after second though) because I'm not pressing hard enough, so I'm thinking something might be defective.

How would I go about getting a replacement? I already traded my Wildfire S back in for the Triumph at Best Buy, and that was only because it was during the holidays. I bought the 1 year accidental warranty, but not the manufacturer defect warranty so I'm not sure how that'd work.


edit:
And just a note, I AM using CM7, but it's was exactly the same on the stock rom and the MIUI rom.
Just call or email VM and tell them that there's a problem with your touchscreen...
marc12868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Triumph
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Triumph for Virgin Mobile sports a 4.1-inch screen on a super thin .4-inch body. With a 5MP camera that shoots HD video, a VGA front-facing camera, and HDMI-out, the Triumph offers a great set of features for Virgin Mobile customers ea... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.