Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
jekyll919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Triumph (MTDEV CM7, current build)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Moving to the One V

Well guys, it's been a great run, but I upgraded to the HTC One V. I truly appreciate everything that our awesome devs did for us as users, because they made the phone a pretty great experience. I'll always have fond memories of this phone, as it was my first Android. I'll still be popping in every now and then, because my Triumph is going to one of my parents.

Good luck to everyone with the Jellybean update!

P.S.- If any one is considering replacing their Triumph with a One V, it's a great phone. ICS is buttery smooth with Sense 4. Beats audio is nice for boosting volume, but the camera is really where the phone shines.

Advertisements
jekyll919 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Highland Park
Posts: 150
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 4G (tmobile) HTC EVO V 4g (virgin mobile) iPhone 3GS (ATT)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll919 View Post
Well guys, it's been a great run, but I upgraded to the HTC One V. I truly appreciate everything that our awesome devs did for us as users, because they made the phone a pretty great experience. I'll always have fond memories of this phone, as it was my first Android. I'll still be popping in every now and then, because my Triumph is going to one of my parents.

Good luck to everyone with the Jellybean update!

P.S.- If any one is considering replacing their Triumph with a One V, it's a great phone. ICS is buttery smooth with Sense 4. Beats audio is nice for boosting volume, but the camera is really where the phone shines.
one V has the same cpu and a smaller screen. I personally think its a bit uglier with that giant chin on the bottom.

ICS is cool though

I got the EVO V and I would say if your forced to look at virgins phones only, its really the only true upgrade to the Triumph based on hardware as well as software, you get more all around. the one V is really a wash up, its got ICS but a smaller screen and same innards. I could only see going to that if you utterly hate the triumph or want ICS extremely bad and cant shell out enough for the evo
imabitfighty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
jekyll919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 49
 
Device(s): Triumph (MTDEV CM7, current build)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabitfighty View Post
one V has the same cpu and a smaller screen. I personally think its a bit uglier with that giant chin on the bottom.

ICS is cool though

I got the EVO V and I would say if your forced to look at virgins phones only, its really the only true upgrade to the Triumph based on hardware as well as software, you get more all around. the one V is really a wash up, its got ICS but a smaller screen and same innards. I could only see going to that if you utterly hate the triumph or want ICS extremely bad and cant shell out enough for the evo

Well that came off as a little condescending. I'm honestly a bit offended. Your claim that I "can't shell out enough" for an Evo V was just rude.

I picked the One V BECAUSE it had a smaller screen with similar/better internals (S3 Snapdragons CPU over the S2 in the Triumph). Plus the build quality is vastly superior and I like Sense. Additionally, the Evo V has issues out of the box that I'd rather not deal with. I understand that they can be fixed, and I have the knowledge to fix them, but I already had one phone that was broken out of the box, and I don't want to deal with it again.

In short, the One V fits my needs perfectly, and the fact that you felt the need to try to drag my decision down is really disappointing.
jekyll919 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jekyll919 For This Useful Post:
breendrew (September 25th, 2012), emerald10 (September 23rd, 2012)
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll919 View Post
Well that came off as a little condescending. I'm honestly a bit offended. Your claim that I "can't shell out enough" for an Evo V was just rude.

I picked the One V BECAUSE it had a smaller screen with similar/better internals (S3 Snapdragons CPU over the S2 in the Triumph). Plus the build quality is vastly superior and I like Sense. Additionally, the Evo V has issues out of the box that I'd rather not deal with. I understand that they can be fixed, and I have the knowledge to fix them, but I already had one phone that was broken out of the box, and I don't want to deal with it again.

In short, the One V fits my needs perfectly, and the fact that you felt the need to try to drag my decision down is really disappointing.
I actually agree. A friend of mine has the EVO 3D (on which the Evo V is based) and in no way would I consider it an upgrade from the Triumph. Both phones have major issues, just in different ways.

The One V is a phone I seriously considered as well, but moved to an iPhone instead. There is more to a phone then just specs, it is important to make the software work well with the hardware, taking the time to optimise. It seems like HTC did this with the One V, not the Evo. I think you made a good choice!

Ultimately, I chose the iPhone because I was sick of not getting OS updates, and HTC wouldn't say if they were planning to update the One V to Jelly Bean, if they would have, they probably would have had another sale.

Also, some people don't want huge screens. The 3.7" on the One V is an ideal sweet spot for many people.
Silence99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
emerald10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 114
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph running MIUIv4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 41
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Thanks jekyll for saying what I was thinking. Not everyone has that kind of money to "shell out" every few months to keep up with the Jones'.
emerald10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll919 View Post
Well guys, it's been a great run, but I upgraded to the HTC One V. I truly appreciate everything that our awesome devs did for us as users, because they made the phone a pretty great experience. I'll always have fond memories of this phone, as it was my first Android. I'll still be popping in every now and then, because my Triumph is going to one of my parents.

Good luck to everyone with the Jellybean update!

P.S.- If any one is considering replacing their Triumph with a One V, it's a great phone. ICS is buttery smooth with Sense 4. Beats audio is nice for boosting volume, but the camera is really where the phone shines.

You're leaving, I'm coming. That is live. I tried the Sharp ROM port, excellent. No hotspot though. I moved to the Miui, equally excellent. After a few days, it got hot and unstable, I am back to the Sharp ROM port.

Which ROM you have tried and which one you liked the best and why? I know, I know, it is a big question. I am thinking the Tickerguy, as it has hotspot built-in and is 2.3.7.

TIA,

bun


Listening to the Beatles "... you say yes, I say no; you say stop and i say go go go, oh, no, you say goodbye and i say hello...
bunanson is offline  
Last edited by bunanson; September 23rd, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
BSydz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Mitten
Posts: 951
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph Sharpened, Samsung Intercept
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 863
Thanked 937 Times in 365 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
You're leaving, I'm coming. That is live. I tried the Sharp ROM port, excellent. No hotspot though. I moved to the Miui, equally excellent. After a few days, it got hot and unstable, I am back to the Sharp ROM port.

Which ROM you have tried and which one you liked the best and why? I know, I know, it is a big question. I am thinking the Tickerguy, as it has hotspot built-in and is 2.3.7.

TIA,

bun


Listening to the Beatles "... you say yes, I say no; you say stop and i say go go go, oh, no, you say goodbye and i say hello...
Thanks for trying out the Sharp ROM. The hotspot works now, you just need one of my custom kernels, and either run a script or enter a line in terminal to set the MTU before you tether. Or flash Ver7.5 cause it has a custom kernel and script included. The original kernel was limiting the MTU, that was what was messing with tether. I unlocked the MTU but haven't found a way to set it automatically yet, so I made a script, and made instructions on how to set the MTU. It is an extra step, to run the script before you use the hotspot, but I am working on it.
__________________
"If somethings in your way, you gotta move it or use it." - Me

If you would like to thank me, beyond just saying thanks, you can donate to my coffee fund to keep my eyes open.
Donate
BSydz is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BSydz For This Useful Post:
bunanson (September 23rd, 2012)
Old September 23rd, 2012, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Highland Park
Posts: 150
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 4G (tmobile) HTC EVO V 4g (virgin mobile) iPhone 3GS (ATT)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll919 View Post
Well that came off as a little condescending. I'm honestly a bit offended. Your claim that I "can't shell out enough" for an Evo V was just rude.

I picked the One V BECAUSE it had a smaller screen with similar/better internals (S3 Snapdragons CPU over the S2 in the Triumph). Plus the build quality is vastly superior and I like Sense. Additionally, the Evo V has issues out of the box that I'd rather not deal with. I understand that they can be fixed, and I have the knowledge to fix them, but I already had one phone that was broken out of the box, and I don't want to deal with it again.

In short, the One V fits my needs perfectly, and the fact that you felt the need to try to drag my decision down is really disappointing.

Fair enough, Guess I could have been interpreted a bit rude. but thats what happens on a forum where people can post their personal opinions. The thing about opinions is that they almost always conflict.

I get you like the smaller screen, I can get behind that. and sense, well, i know a lot of people who hate sense but I hear htc revamped it for the One series of phones. so if its working for you I have nothing to say except good for you.

but I will have to point out that the cpu in the one V is actually a S2 like the triumph. so you are wrong there. Wouldnt want you walking out there in the world with bad information.

the one v uses a msm8255 Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8255 (Snapdragon S2) Application Processor with Modem Datasheet | CPUlist | PDAdb.net

https://developer.qualcomm.com/device/htc-one-v

the S3 you want is actually in the evo. sorry man.
imabitfighty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSydz View Post
Thanks for trying out the Sharp ROM. The hotspot works now, you just need one of my custom kernels, and either run a script or enter a line in terminal to set the MTU before you tether. Or flash Ver7.5 cause it has a custom kernel and script included. The original kernel was limiting the MTU, that was what was messing with tether. I unlocked the MTU but haven't found a way to set it automatically yet, so I made a script, and made instructions on how to set the MTU. It is an extra step, to run the script before you use the hotspot, but I am working on it.

The Sharp port is my favorite. It is good in all aspect, battery, smooth, esthetic, and the look. Unfortunately, I have to have tether because of the travelling. I will definitely try again. Thanks for the update,

bun
bunanson is offline  
Last edited by bunanson; September 26th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
BSydz (September 24th, 2012)
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident Slide Rule Guru
 
OverByter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G,Triumph CM7 TG=Reloaded, Intercept UD6, HTC Wildfire S HBOOT Unlocked w/s-off
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 403
Thanked 918 Times in 656 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to OverByter
Default

I can see moving on to any other phone because of "utterly hating the Triumph" I really tried but after getting 6 class a replacement phones in 4 months all with the green blob issue and then being told by senior tech support that there was no fix and to just live with it. I ended up filing a complaint with the BBB and they ultimately credited my account for the $70 loss that I experienced selling the phone. The purchaser made out because he ended up with a brand new phone that I had just received that week and had never been removed from the box let alone activated. The sad part about this phone is as the many models sold under other names don't have all of these issues, it's not the hardware but the software that's not just poorly written but doesn't even follow good programming practices making it a nightmare trying to figure out what is going on with the routines. Arcane would be putting it mildly. The devs have done amazing things in spite of all the crap that is what the Triumph calls an OS. The Sharp port shows what properly written software can do on this phones hardware.
OverByter is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Owasso,OK
Gender: Male
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i too am thinking about switching to the HTC One V from my Triumph. Its mainly because of the problems i'm starting to have with my Triumph. First off, the charging port stopped working so now i have to "hot wire" my battery to charge it, which wouldn't be bad if i didn't have to do it at least twice a day and in that time my phone is shut off. Second is now it is starting to shut down on its own and will not power up unless battery is removed.
but i have loved my triumph since i got it, which was about a year ago.
SO, i am torn between the HTC One V or the HTC Evo V......any advice? i want whichever will perform almost if not exactly like the Triumph.
lovestospooge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 185
 
Device(s): Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 85
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default

don't forget that Triumph is the only phone from the list that still works on $25 plan.
I'm sorry guys, but for some people it's a deal breaker.
I have 2 phones in my family, both Virgin, both $25 plan. As long as $25 will buy me my 300 minutes and unlimited data I will keep my Triumph alive. If the sucker dies on me, I will buy another one off the ebay.
Izzard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lou61166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): HTC Rezound HTC Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon/Verizon Fios Quantum 75/35

Thanks: 7
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzard View Post
don't forget that Triumph is the only phone from the list that still works on $25 plan.
I'm sorry guys, but for some people it's a deal breaker.
I have 2 phones in my family, both Virgin, both $25 plan. As long as $25 will buy me my 300 minutes and unlimited data I will keep my Triumph alive. If the sucker dies on me, I will buy another one off the ebay.
i would just go back to a basic phone,then keep a 25.00 plan using the truimph on Virgins dial up 3G speeds,this phone on this network is not even worth 15 a month.
lou61166 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 95
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 82
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Sad to say, I agree with everything you guys said about the MT. Its stock ROM sucks big time. I have since tried couple of ROM, they are so much better make you wonder why Motorola cannot do it right, the 1st time? Anyhow, bitching does not get me anywhere... I nailed down to the Sharp port, which has absolutely no problem, except the tether requires a little bit run around. I am going to go back to the Sharpt port, I just dont get it, why a ROM written for Sharp works better than Motorola's own ROM, go figure!

I went from MIUI 2.40.2 which works pretty good, but somehow, some ill behaved apks, made the phone got hot and I switched CM7.2, the tickerguy. It is doing about right, and I like it too, but still I think the Sharp port is the best so far... Thanks, BSydz

bun
bunanson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 185
 
Device(s): Triumph
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 85
Thanked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Speaking of $25 plans...
there's a glitch in the system (I think) that puts any phone back on $25 plan.

Virgin Mobile users- Switch back to the $25 grandfathered plan! - Page 24 - Slickdeals.net
Izzard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Motorola Triumph
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Motorola Triumph for Virgin Mobile sports a 4.1-inch screen on a super thin .4-inch body. With a 5MP camera that shoots HD video, a VGA front-facing camera, and HDMI-out, the Triumph offers a great set of features for Virgin Mobile customers ea... Read More



Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.