Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Motorola XOOM

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #101 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G,Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnice View Post
I know Frenzy wrote a nice write up on his view of the ipad2 and xoom but this is what bothers me. Apple add 3 features.
1 thinner
2 cameras
3 dual core processor
To me this is not much,just another means to milk the consumers of their money. I don't see how this make it superior.(imo)
There are still a lot of people who don't own a tablet, and who might have been waiting on this generation of tablets to jump. Those aren't exactly minor changes you've mentioned, btw.

Advertisements
knivesout is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #102 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rjoudrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,440
 
Device(s): Droid X, Leaked 2.2. Xoom with 70 apps that work.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnice View Post
I know Frenzy wrote a nice write up on his view of the ipad2 and xoom but this is what bothers me. Apple add 3 features.
1 thinner
2 cameras
3 dual core processor
To me this is not much,just another means to milk the consumers of their money. I don't see how this make it superior.(imo)
As long as the hardware is competitive its all about the operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
You're right, those features aren't "revolutionary". They're a mild bump up for the current champion. You need to remember that for 2010 Apple had what, 90% of the tablet market cornered? And they're predicted to hold 80% of that for 2011. (Forgive me if the numbers are off, I'm honestly pulling those from recent memory). In any case, when you're already on top, a minor bump up like the iPad2 is probably going to keep you there. Contrast that with the new competitor trying to break into the market. They need to go above and beyond to bring the "wow" factor which is going to be tough to do since Apple really set the expectations of what a tablet is and does. To break out of that mindset, the Android tablets are going to have to invent new uses for a tablet that the iPads don't bring to the table. That's innovation. And can't be understated. It's very necessary here. It can't just copy what the iPad already does cause it does it well. You have to bring something new to the game. Notifications and real multitasking are good. We need more, though.
Apple already lost 22% of the tablet market to G-Tablet and cheaper android tablets in 2010. If you add e-readers the spread is greater.

Here's the link for those who want it:

Apple Takes 73% Q4 Tablet Share, Says IDC; E-Readers Surge - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
__________________
We are Android! We make things work.
rjoudrey is offline  
Last edited by NightAngel79; March 29th, 2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #103 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I didn't think they lost quite that much in q4. That's definitely interesting. More interesting is the analyst's assertion that tablets might be in a bubble. Are they idiots? Look, I see tablets as being the "secondary computing device" that traditionally has been handled by netbooks. I see tablets as the complete replacement to the netbook market for a majority of people. I know in my case that's definitely true. You can't beat a device that boots in seconds and is ready to get to the content I want to consume. It's very easy to maintain a tablet. "Patches" are pretty simple to deal with. You get notified of updates, you do them, and you move on. Anyway, I take issue with the tablet bubble theory. I think it's a new market and there's a TON of room for growth.
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #104 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rjoudrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,440
 
Device(s): Droid X, Leaked 2.2. Xoom with 70 apps that work.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Default

I think netbooks were a fad/ bubble, I think tablets fill the space between PCs and phones better. That fact is Windows is a dinosaur on mobiles devices. Sleep mode is not dependable and battery life sucks.
rjoudrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjoudrey For This Useful Post:
knivesout (March 15th, 2011)
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #105 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

That's exactly right. We ALL owe Apple a debt of gratitude for seeding this market for us. Without the iPad, let's face it, the Xoom wouldn't exist as it does. We'd all be stuck with netbooks. That's not necessarily bad, but I personally feel the Xoom and iPad are FAR better suited to content consumption tasks. So, thanks, Apple. Now, get out of the way and let the Xoom pass! (I kid, I kid. )
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #106 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnice View Post
I know Frenzy wrote a nice write up on his view of the ipad2 and xoom but this is what bothers me. Apple add 3 features.
1 thinner
2 cameras
3 dual core processor
To me this is not much,just another means to milk the consumers of their money. I don't see how this make it superior.(imo)

I understand what you are saying, but to address your comment that it milks the consumers of thier money...well its true, but every company does that whenever they release a new product. If they sold the exact same ipad for more then yea, id say they are milking the consumers. Fact is that those are improvements...with the same price. I just can't say that they are milking consumers that much.

And like I said before, i was a HUUUUGE, and i mean HUGE skeptic of the "thinner lighter tablet" being that much better...but I have to admit, after playing with one, it really is nicer to hold than my Xoom.

Also Apple isnt the only company touting dual cores and cameras.
frenzy757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #107 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Yea for anyone who doesn't understand the thinner lighter argument you really need to hold one. It matters. A lot.
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #108 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rjoudrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,440
 
Device(s): Droid X, Leaked 2.2. Xoom with 70 apps that work.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yea for anyone who doesn't understand the thinner lighter argument you really need to hold one. It matters. A lot.

My girlfriend would love to respond to this but because I am on probation, I am running away from her as I type this. Please understand my dilemma.
rjoudrey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #109 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Lol! Not in regards to people! :-) just devices. My wife's ipad2 is sitting next to me right now. It's "hot". :-)
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #110 (permalink)
Member
 
rdalcanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 421
 
Device(s): Note 2!
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Had the Xoom come out with a WIFI version on release day, I would have bought one. I may still buy one at Sam's Club when it is finally released. But, after seeing the Ipad2 videos, I couldn't resist. I ordered one today. How thin it is WITH the magnetic cover, and how smooth everything scrolls, etc, won me over. Maybe HTC will come out with a tablet that will make me sell the Ipad2, to go with my Thunderbolt.
rdalcanto is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #111 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 165
 
Device(s): HTC ONE XL, Kindle Fire, 11" Macbook Air
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

The pressure finally got to me.....I hunted down an ipad 2 about ten minutes ago. With the difference in price, and the possibility of better performance I had to do it. First of all....wow is this thing sexy. It really stands out against the xoom in that fashion. I know I plan on keeping them both for at least a little while as I am a silver premier best buy member, which allows me 45 days return policy with no restocking fee....and the ipad2 can go on CL and sell in minutes.

I am always torn between apple and google products....
jhat3k1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #112 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pluto
Posts: 154
 
Device(s): EVO 4G, Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I love my Xoom, however I'm most likely going to buy an ipad 2 as well (the wife wants something to play with too) There are enough signifigant differences based on the app stores alone for me to justify buying both.
papermonkey01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #113 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 165
 
Device(s): HTC ONE XL, Kindle Fire, 11" Macbook Air
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol
jhat3k1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #114 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Lol that was pretty fast. :-) my wife is able to do her school work on her ipad2. She's very happy with it so far. I still love the xoom.
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #115 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 165
 
Device(s): HTC ONE XL, Kindle Fire, 11" Macbook Air
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I just had to know for sure. It was killing me. Now I can rest happily knowing the xoom is the device for me.
jhat3k1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #116 (permalink)
Bnice
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat3k1 View Post
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol
WOW!.that was quick.
 
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:34 AM   #117 (permalink)
Member
 
kennychaffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 487
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 167
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat3k1 View Post
The pressure finally got to me.....I hunted down an ipad 2 about ten minutes ago. With the difference in price, and the possibility of better performance I had to do it. First of all....wow is this thing sexy. It really stands out against the xoom in that fashion. I know I plan on keeping them both for at least a little while as I am a silver premier best buy member, which allows me 45 days return policy with no restocking fee....and the ipad2 can go on CL and sell in minutes.

I am always torn between apple and google products....
I'd love to play with one for comparison, but ..... nah.

__________________
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery- Print Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennychaffin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #118 (permalink)
Member
 
QuickDraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 328
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G. LOVE MY EVO.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Please remember, with text in a forum no one can see faces or hear tones of voice - so, let's not presume too much on people's posting intentions.

None of us are perfect writers or readers because those things don't exist - I am living proof.

Even if that were possible, please remember this surely applies to us all: your mileage may vary.

Cheers, many thanks.

Soooo true. Nothing is better (for true understanding purposes) than a good ole face to face conversation. Too bad that's not possible here.
__________________
If it's 0° today and it's supposed to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is it going to be?
QuickDraw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #119 (permalink)
Member
 
kennychaffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 487
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 167
Thanked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickDraw View Post
Soooo true. Nothing is better (for true understanding purposes) than a good ole face to face conversation. Too bad that's not possible here.

Well with the front facing camera on the xoom it's possible.
kennychaffin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #120 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default But remember, June 30th looms!

It's interesting how fast people forget. The deadline for Apple's sliding scale subscription service looms June 30th. Those who have invested in that ecosystem have no idea what July 1st will be like and are taking that chance. What apps will disappear overnight?
RickInHouston is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickInHouston For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (March 15th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #121 (permalink)
Hiding behind a mystery
Thread Author (OP)
 
Roze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Where the Sakura grows
Posts: 9,847
 
Device(s): Moto Atrix [lovin'] Nexus One [Lost] LG Vu [Lost]
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 809
Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickInHouston View Post
It's interesting how fast people forget. The deadline for Apple's sliding scale subscription service looms June 30th. Those who have invested in that ecosystem have no idea what July 1st will be like and are taking that chance. What apps will disappear overnight?
This is the one where if the developer sells app outside of the Apple Store, it cannot have its app in the Store? Is this right? I'm not up-to-date with iOS news.
__________________
Sign up with Dropbox using my referral and get an additional 1/2GB on top of the 2GB you get for signing up http://db.tt/YbULMZX

Many thanks,
Roze
Roze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #122 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 54
 
Device(s): HTC Evo 4G,Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Calhoun View Post
A 32GB Ipad 2 is $729. A 64GB Ipad 2 is $829. Neither has the option of a subsidized price with AT&T or VzW. The price of the Xoom is currently aligned with that of a comparable iPad.

There is no COMPARABLE 16GB, WiFi only $500 option available from Motorola at this time. Perhaps that is an opportunity for Motorola to ex******* But, these 'analysts' are a joke.
I'll just leave this here...



Like many, I have no plans to use 3G/4G on the tablet, I'll just tether wifi from my phone if ever find myself in that situation. Storage is not a major issue; I don't know why anyone would need 64GB, unless they're using their tablet as their primary media storage device, which I would find odd.

Motorola and Android are new to the tablet market. The Xoom isn't familiar to most people and sits in a dark corner of Best Buy with finger smudges all over it. If not one of "us" (people keeping up with mobile computing trends), one might consider it a "fringe" device, reserved for highly technical gadgeteers.

The Xoom should have been cheaper. IMO, for $100 less, they'd still be desperately shipping cartons of them to retailers every week for the next few months. Instead, they sit on the shelves. Obviously, lack of a wifi-only unit at a lower price point hurt.
knivesout is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #123 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Yes, Roze-

And if they have an out of app store, they must include (and then make it easier for Apple to get an additional 30%) a button to buy in app.

Amazon (for Kindle) has already come out and said they are working on a work-around that will allow content to be read from a browser. I think Amazon is planning on dropping their app. I can't wait to hear what Hulu and Netflix have as their strategy.
RickInHouston is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #124 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 15
 
Device(s): Vz Galaxy Nexus, Unlocked Motorola Xoom 4G, Unlocked
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 35
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermonkey01 View Post
I love my Xoom, however I'm most likely going to buy an ipad 2 as well (the wife wants something to play with too) There are enough signifigant differences based on the app stores alone for me to justify buying both.
Funny you would say that. I took my non tekkie wife down to BB over the weekend, with my xoom and her playing with the ipad2, and she chose my xoom. she said it's 2 dumbed down for her (she has Droid). I got my xoom on day 1, and I love it. Sure, out the door with cover and dock was $1k, it was worth it for me. Once the 4g and SD card work, it will be cheaper than a comparable ipad2. Plus, IMO, Motorola and VZN did a horrible job of marketing it. In my local BB, its hidden away, while the ipad's are right out front, leaving people unable to compare them at all. Even had some blabbermouth at BB, bragging about ipad this and that, so I whipped out my Xoom and showed him what I can do, including flash, customization, etc that he can't do, then I had people asking what I had. He gets what apple give him, I can customize to my liking.

In the end, it comes down to money IMO, either your willing to pay or your not. I will be picking up a WiFi only for my wife at the end of the month, per her request, not mine .
nhlpreds98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #125 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 587
 
Device(s): Moto Droid, Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlpreds98 View Post
Funny you would say that. I took my non tekkie wife down to BB over the weekend, with my xoom and her playing with the ipad2, and she chose my xoom. she said it's 2 dumbed down for her (she has Droid). I got my xoom on day 1, and I love it. Sure, out the door with cover and dock was $1k, it was worth it for me. Once the 4g and SD card work, it will be cheaper than a comparable ipad2. Plus, IMO, Motorola and VZN did a horrible job of marketing it. In my local BB, its hidden away, while the ipad's are right out front, leaving people unable to compare them at all. Even had some blabbermouth at BB, bragging about ipad this and that, so I whipped out my Xoom and showed him what I can do, including flash, customization, etc that he can't do, then I had people asking what I had. He gets what apple give him, I can customize to my liking.

In the end, it comes down to money IMO, either your willing to pay or your not. I will be picking up a WiFi only for my wife at the end of the month, per her request, not mine .
My fiancée said the same thing. She has the OG Droid, and she has the iPad 1, but after playing with my Xoom she prefers it over the iPad. The iOS is such a boring OS.
mazz0310 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #126 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Amazon won't drop their app.

They have to provide an in app solution, but people can always still go to the website to buy books if you don't want to give Apple money.

Same with netflix...they have to provide an in app solution to start a subscription, but you can just as easily (or most people probably have service via the web), then apple gets none of that I am pretty sure.
frenzy757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #127 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
clb2196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 654
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus Verizon Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 182 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat3k1 View Post
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol
Do you use Blackboard? We use that and Wimba, which also requires flash, and Blackboard uses flash to put all the interactive content in the lecture material. It's the #1 reason why iPad was a no-go for me. If I can't do school work on it, it's not worth it to me.
clb2196 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #128 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 367
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Xoom, G1 (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 107
Thanked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy757 View Post
Amazon won't drop their app.

They have to provide an in app solution, but people can always still go to the website to buy books if you don't want to give Apple money.

Same with netflix...they have to provide an in app solution to start a subscription, but you can just as easily (or most people probably have service via the web), then apple gets none of that I am pretty sure.
That's the problem. "People" don't know the difference. They're going to use the one click method over going to a separate website, logging in, etc.

I'm betting more than a few companies drop their iPhone App Store Apps and focus on Android. Since Android OS does have more market share, and they won't lose 30% of their in-app purchase profits.
BiggestManEver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #129 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
zipur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Nice IPAD vs Xoom review If the camera or screen is a deal breaker for you this video give you some things to think about for each device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3hgOQXHV
zipur is offline  
Last edited by zipur; March 15th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zipur For This Useful Post:
kennychaffin (March 15th, 2011)
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #130 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
clb2196's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 654
 
Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus Verizon Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 182 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
I'm betting more than a few companies drop their iPhone App Store Apps and focus on Android. Since Android OS does have more market share, and they won't lose 30% of their in-app purchase profits.
Ehh. I'm gonna have to disagree. Losing some of their profit to Apple is better than not making any profit off their app, right? I really don't see any companies doing this, especially someone like Netflix or Amazon. And it's not like they can't do Apple AND Android.
clb2196 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #131 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,371
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,728
Thanked 57,185 Times in 22,977 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb2196 View Post
Ehh. I'm gonna have to disagree. Losing some of their profit to Apple is better than not making any profit off their app, right? I really don't see any companies doing this, especially someone like Netflix or Amazon. And it's not like they can't do Apple AND Android.
Sorry, no, losing some of their profit due to predatory and unfair practices led to immediate saber-rattling over violation of anti-trust laws.

This wasn't a minor sticking point - more like a humongous issue.

To catch up on some of it, maybe see - http://androidforums.com/lounge/279169-apple-positioning-anti-trust-over-subscriptions-their-app-store.html

Remember - these aren't pikers we're talking about, these are devs with money-making enterprises that Apple tried to move on as if running a protection racket.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #132 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
zipur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3hgOQXHVA

Nice review here
zipur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #133 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Sorry, no, losing some of their profit due to predatory and unfair practices led to immediate saber-rattling over violation of anti-trust laws.

This wasn't a minor sticking point - more like a humongous issue.

To catch up on some of it, maybe see - http://androidforums.com/lounge/279169-apple-positioning-anti-trust-over-subscriptions-their-app-store.html

Remember - these aren't pikers we're talking about, these are devs with money-making enterprises that Apple tried to move on as if running a protection racket.
Worse than that these are direct competitors to Apple's own services that we're talking about. Netflix competes with iTunes for video. Kindle/Nook compete with iBooks for e-books. The argument is going to be very easy to make and very difficult for Apple to defend against. It most definitely gives them an unfair advantage over their rivals.
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamuriHL For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (March 15th, 2011)
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #134 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,371
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,728
Thanked 57,185 Times in 22,977 Posts
Default

Apple's been able to fend off some of those issues quite handily so far, and I supported that. Bottom line is that consumers choosing a device with a natural vendor tie-in to their own market was ok (several EU members went ape over this and even without the home-field advantage, Apple prevailed).

This is a definite turning point - and could re-raise those issues as you suggest.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #135 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Sure, I get that, but, this isn't what many of them signed on for. They're CHANGING the terms after the fact. That's what's going to get them into trouble this time. They got all these companies to invest in their infrastructure and architecture and then pulled a bait and switch on them. The lawsuits are going to be ugly and there's going to be very little Apple can say to defend it this time.
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SamuriHL For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (March 15th, 2011)
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #136 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,371
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,728
Thanked 57,185 Times in 22,977 Posts
Default

^Yes, was trying to amplify your well-made point.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
SamuriHL (March 15th, 2011)
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #137 (permalink)
Member
 
QuickDraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 328
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 4G. LOVE MY EVO.
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennychaffin View Post
Well with the front facing camera on the xoom it's possible.

I meant in relation to the forums here, not like with facebook (or any of those others). Not sure if any forums are set up for that (lack of implementation in the software I would immagine).
QuickDraw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #138 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,371
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,728
Thanked 57,185 Times in 22,977 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickDraw View Post
I meant in relation to the forums here, not like with facebook (or any of those others). Not sure if any forums are set up for that (lack of implementation in the software I would immagine).
Yep, we're not there yet, but many Evo guys posted a public test name they created to check out and help trouble-shoot videochat issues - no reason you cats can't start a thread just for that.

Might be helpful to everyone to find out what the best option is that plays well with both tablets.

Personally, I like videochat, use it for work a LOT.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #139 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
^Yes, was trying to amplify your well-made point.
Thanks. Was just clarifying a bit cause that is the big difference they face now. I wish them luck with that. I wish google better luck in capitalizing on it. LOL!
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #140 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 28
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Yep, we're not there yet, but many Evo guys posted a public test name they created to check out and help trouble-shoot videochat issues - no reason you cats can't start a thread just for that.

Might be helpful to everyone to find out what the best option is that plays well with both tablets.

Personally, I like videochat, use it for work a LOT.
I know this is slightly off topic for this thread, but, what IS the best method for video chatting between an iPad2 and a Xoom? Has anyone found anything acceptable that works? I ask cause I could really truly use a solution for that right now. As in today.
SamuriHL is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #141 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,371
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,728
Thanked 57,185 Times in 22,977 Posts
Default

I believe Yahoo Messenger is there for the iPad, not sure on the Xoom.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #142 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggestManEver View Post
That's the problem. "People" don't know the difference. They're going to use the one click method over going to a separate website, logging in, etc.

I'm betting more than a few companies drop their iPhone App Store Apps and focus on Android. Since Android OS does have more market share, and they won't lose 30% of their in-app purchase profits.
well to your point its a problem to the app developers....not the customer.
its better for the consumer in the short run since it does make things easier. Probably bad in the long term because it will stop app development (or slow it down) for the iPad so they lose in the long run.

I don't disagree with Apple taking more of a cut, but its not smart on Apple's end to take a portion so high that companies cannot even operate in that space. I think 5--10% would have been more appropriate.

To be honest, I didn't think Apple was going anywhere, BUT if they enforce this strictly and do not change it, THIS could be the turn for Apple in a bad way.
frenzy757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #143 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
zipur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 84
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat3k1 View Post
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol
Flash Flash Flash its all about Flash ... Iswifter app allows flash video to play on an IPAD and puffin browser, skyfire do also and you can get them free. You got a problem there is an App for it. Xoom is still better cause its all in there out of the box.
zipur is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #144 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 265
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Default Jump ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy757 View Post
well to your point its a problem to the app developers....not the customer.
its better for the consumer in the short run since it does make things easier. Probably bad in the long term because it will stop app development (or slow it down) for the iPad so they lose in the long run.

I don't disagree with Apple taking more of a cut, but its not smart on Apple's end to take a portion so high that companies cannot even operate in that space. I think 5--10% would have been more appropriate.

To be honest, I didn't think Apple was going anywhere, BUT if they enforce this strictly and do not change it, THIS could be the turn for Apple in a bad way.
What I'd REALLY like to see happen is not everyone jumping from iOS, but for the developers to pull their apps from the App Store and put them on Cydia. Then developers could keep their money, liberate themselves from Apple's app scrutiny, and really push jailbreaking into the mainstream.

It kinda reminds me of those J.G. Wentworth commercials, all the developers would be like "It's my money, and I need it now!"
reiththestud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #145 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 28
 
Device(s): Lg g2x, kindle fire, tmo galaxy s2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhat3k1 View Post
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol
I suspect that your school, like mine, may use Pearson software. They're the 800.lb gorilla in online education software. And yeah, they use flash. It's one of the primary reasons I'm looking at a xoom. That and the card slot. And of course the addition by subtraction of no itunes. Which is a fine program I'm sure, I just don't care for it myself.
OxygenD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #146 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 165
 
Device(s): HTC ONE XL, Kindle Fire, 11" Macbook Air
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

My school uses "desire2learn" for all online interactions. The process is perfect on the xoom, but was a big NO GO on the ipad. Also, despite the thinness of the IP2, I still like the 10.1 form factor...especially in portrait mode, which I use a lot. Also, with thumb keyboard on my xoom, the keyboard on the ipad2 is a major PITA. Either way, I am happy now, I no longer have ipad2 envy, and I can live happily ever after with my xoom, at least for several months, which is an eternity in a techies life.
jhat3k1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #147 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 71
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus,Motorola Xoom
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Big Calhoun Send a message via Yahoo to Big Calhoun
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder_fbi View Post
So would Motorola be happy with these sales numbers?

ipad $499: 30,000,000
ipad $729: 120,000
xoom $799: 130,000


I wouldn't think so...
Seriously?

And how long has the I pad been out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivesout View Post
I'll just leave this here...




Like many, I have no plans to use 3G/4G on the tablet, I'll just tether wifi from my phone if ever find myself in that situation. Storage is not a major issue; I don't know why anyone would need 64GB, unless they're using their tablet as their primary media storage device, which I would find odd.

Motorola and Android are new to the tablet market. The Xoom isn't familiar to most people and sits in a dark corner of Best Buy with finger smudges all over it. If not one of "us" (people keeping up with mobile computing trends), one might consider it a "fringe" device, reserved for highly technical gadgeteers.

The Xoom should have been cheaper. IMO, for $100 less, they'd still be desperately shipping cartons of them to retailers every week for the next few months. Instead, they sit on the shelves. Obviously, lack of a wifi-only unit at a lower price point hurt.
<yawn>

Benchmarks != overall user experience

Let's remember that some of these same 'arguments were posed in the early days of the phone races. Android continues to take market share.
__________________
Devices: iPhone 4 (A) - Galaxy Nexus (A) - Motorola Xoom (A) -BB 9650 (I) - HTC Incredible (A) - Motorola Droid (I) - HTC Touch Pro 2 (I) - HTC Touch Pro (I) - Motorola Q (I) - Treo 700W (I) - Audiovox XV6600 (I) - Treo 650 (I)
Big Calhoun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #148 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
Flash Flash Flash its all about Flash ... Iswifter app allows flash video to play on an IPAD and puffin browser, skyfire do also and you can get them free. You got a problem there is an App for it. Xoom is still better cause its all in there out of the box.
that is a flawed argument because we here at android say "blah blah Netflix Hulu who cares i have PLAYON"

same thing...its a work around...just saying
frenzy757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #149 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 145
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Calhoun View Post
Seriously?

And how long has the I pad been out?



<yawn>

Benchmarks != overall user experience

Let's remember that some of these same 'arguments were posed in the early days of the phone races. Android continues to take market share.

Also Apple is the king of your argument that benchmarks != user experience.

I love android don't get me wrong, but some of you all make points that can go either way. =)
frenzy757 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenzy757 For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (March 15th, 2011)
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #150 (permalink)
The PearlyMon
 
EarlyMon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Mexico, USA
Posts: 46,371
 
Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 42,728
Thanked 57,185 Times in 22,977 Posts
Default

Please help me understand how market share of past Apple vs. Android products equates to a reasonable discourse on the iPad 2 vs. Xoom.

If it does, fine.

If it doesn't, then please stay on-topic.

Many thanks.
EarlyMon is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
marctronixx (March 15th, 2011)
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Motorola XOOM
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.