Before I go into the main issue here, I want to give a short little review. If you don't have time to read the review, just skip review section and go down to the issue section...
*** REVIEW SECTION ***
So I go my XPRT last Thursday. Was real excited. I walked through the process of making it my new Boost phone. And I started enjoying it right away.
The screen is a little smaller than my old Prevail's But not by much. And having all the extra internal starage was great! As you can imagine, the battery life was better than the prevail. But the thing that really surprized me was how much better the reception was!
In addition to the above mentioned advantages, the XPRT feels very solidly built compared to most of the other Boost phones I've held in the store. Also, it has allot of cool software features that are probably already covered in some of these other posts.
One down side I noticed is that it did lock up a few times. Though the locks seemed to be associated with the issue listed bellow.
Anyway to sum up, if it weren't for the following issue, I'd probably be holding on to this phone.
*** ISSUE SECTION ***
I need to be able to transfer large files back and forth from my computer and my phone. And I don't want to transfer them wirelessly. And for those of you who haven't held the device in your hands, it's somewhat of a pain in the rear swapping that micro SD card in and out. So, I was expecting to be able to connect the USB cable from the XPRT to the computer and transfer files that way. I mean come on! How many Android phone can't connect via USB? Well, this is certainly one of them.
Needless to say, I spent some three hours on the phone with a second level technition from Motorola and he finally gave up. And BTW, I tried this on a Windows 7 64 bit machine and a Windows XP 32 bit machine. That kinda made me think that it might just be my phone. So I started trying to decide whether it was worth persuing sending the phone to Motorola or returning it to Boost and ordering another.
Luckily, there's a Boost store in town. So I went by there and the guy there tried connecting it to his PC. ...No luck. Then he got out an XPRT that had just been traded in. And he tried to connect that one as well. ...Nada! So aparently this is a common problem with this phone.
My gut feeling is that while this phone was still with Sprint running Android 2.2 it was probably more reliable. Since it they were dumped onto Boost's round up and reloaded with Android 2.3, they haven't had time or the resources to check all the compatibility issues with Gingerbread. ...Just my two cents.
One more thing to note, often after attempting to connect to the PC, the phone would freeze completely requiring a battery removal.
So I am returning the phone to Boost. And I'm probably gonna get a Kyocera Hydro.