I am from Singapore and got my Motorola Milestone XT720 from Starhub a few weeks ago. I had expected to be able to browse the web smoothly since this is a 3.5G phone. It is apparently not the case.
I tried to browse a webpage that I own, Manduca Baby Carrier Singapore - Backpack Ergonomic Soft Structured Baby Carrier
and found that it takes consistently "forever" to load the page when I am on 3.5G connection regardless of where I am. Even if the page download completes, there will be missing images and some images with background magically changed from white to black! I have tried on the default browser as well as Dolphin with exactly the same results. What make it interest is that when I connect to Wifi, the page loads smoothly without a hitch on both browsers.
I approached Starhub for help and was directed to Motorola Service Counter. What the Motorola person, Starhub Service staffs and I found out after some experiments:-
1) My Starhub SIM card when use with the Milestone XT and Milestone has the same problem. It is not just my website. Even the Starhub Homepage will load with missing images.
2) The same SIM card works with an older Motorola Android 1.6 phone. I am not sure which model.
3) My Milestone XT works with a M1 as well as Singtel SIM cards!!! This is crazy since the Milestone is a Starhub exclusive phone!
4) My Starhub SIM card works with an iPhone.
5) Changing Starhub SIM cards does not help at all.
Looking at this problem, because we have actually tried out with different phones of the same model, different models and different brands. I am quite certain the problem lies somehow with the Milestone/Android2.1/Starhub combi. I believe that I am not the only one with the problem but was told that I am the only one complaining!!! How is that possible?
Perhaps any one out there with a Android 2.1 or higher phone using a Starhub SIM can help me see if you have the same problem too. Guess it would be interesting to know if the HTC Hero or Desire works or not.
Just try to load my webpage
Manduca Baby Carrier Singapore - Backpack Ergonomic Soft Structured Baby Carrier
or the image
If all goes well, you would probably see a image with a white background, if not, part of the background will be black.
I am still awaiting Starhub or Motorola to come back to me but still no news. Will report back if I hear from them.