Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 10

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dagr

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooksville/Spring Hill
Posts: 278
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, LG Motion
Carrier: Metropcs

Thanks: 43
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default Anyone OWN both Asus Infinity & Nexus 10?

The main thing I use a tablet for is for internet browsing, Netflix, and game playing, with the majority being internet browsing. That being said, I would like to know how the Nexus 10 performs compared to the Asus Infinity when browsing using Chrome and Dolphin.

Of course any other comparisons re Netflix and gaming would be appreciated, since benchmarks are not what I can relate to.

Advertisements
4ubest is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nj02vette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,346
 
Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 624
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

I'd be interested in someone's opinion who's had both as well.
nj02vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Dagr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 175
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Nexus 10, ASUS Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I'll update this thread once I have some time on the N10 (it is set to arrive today). I recently sold my Infinity (had a prime before that which was upgraded via warranty exchange with best buy).
Dagr is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dagr For This Useful Post:
Atma (November 23rd, 2012)
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 34
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Looking to sell my prime and upgrade to the N10. Very interested in your comparisons. Please update.
randomhero180 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nj02vette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,346
 
Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 624
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Well I'm about to find out. Bought a Nexus 10 32GB. Will take a bit to arrive, but I'll do a comparison between that, the Infinity and the Prime.
nj02vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Dagr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 175
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Nexus 10, ASUS Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Well, here are my initial impressions after using my N10 for the weekend:

- The screen on the N10 is very good (you probably knew that). That said, I don't find it leaps and bounds above the Infinity (also a very good screen). If the IPS+ brightness was of use to you, then the N10 is not going to be as bright, but it was not a problem for me.

- Battery Life. I wanted to test this out since there has been a fair amount of conversation in this regard. The battery life on my N10 has been very good with a couple gotchas. Gotcha 1: I really do miss the extended life that the battery in the dock of the Infinity / Prime offered. Gotch 2: Charging is much slower than the Infinity (as some have mentioned). Those two gotcha's aside, I have found the battery life on the first few cycles to be very good with a heavy amount of Netflix'ing, gaming, and surfing.

- WiFi reception. Another problem area for the prime and much improved on the Infinity. The N10 bests both and has had a very very stable & strong connection for me.

- Performance. I use a lot of apps & switch tasks a lot. To me the extra memory & lack of IO problems from the Infinity made for a MUCH smoother android experience. It really FEELS great to use. I had a few apps / games that didn't seem overly optimized for the graphics engine, but overall I felt the performance was excellent given the screen resolution. (And for comparison, I felt that it easily bested the Infinity in real world performance of games and apps... especially on the task switching front).

-Look & Feel: I just like it. It may not be the brushed aluminum of the Infinity, but I like holding it for a long period of time a whole lot more. Its grippy and never feels like its going to slip your fingers. A personal preference for sure, but one I thought I'd mention.

-Camera: I havn't used it at all, so I can't comment, but it sounds like the Infinity camera is going to be better.

-Software: It's NEXUS!!! I can't say what a breath of fresh air it is to see pure google on a 10 inch tablet like this. To me that's golden, and I have to say I really do like the 4.2 tablet changes... more than I thought they would. The new unified "phablet" type interface still works for me going from the N7 to the N10... and they just feel like extensions of each other. Kudos to google for creating a device line that has different hardware but feels like a "family".


... and that's it for now. Overall, I'm extremely pleased so far. For my needs I'm very happy with my N10 and think its a great device that will get better with development and app support.
Caveman419 and Atma like this.
Dagr is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dagr For This Useful Post:
4ubest (November 27th, 2012), Atma (November 26th, 2012), Caveman419 (November 26th, 2012), ouch1976 (December 4th, 2012), woj666 (November 30th, 2012)
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nj02vette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,346
 
Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 624
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagr View Post
- Performance. I use a lot of apps & switch tasks a lot. To me the extra memory & lack of IO problems from the Infinity made for a MUCH smoother android experience. It really FEELS great to use. I had a few apps / games that didn't seem overly optimized for the graphics engine, but overall I felt the performance was excellent given the screen resolution. (And for comparison, I felt that it easily bested the Infinity in real world performance of games and apps... especially on the task switching front).
Thanks for the update. That's exactly what I was looking for.

To be honest, I really liked my Prime. The Wifi was weak, but acceptable in my home. GPS worked fine, never had the lock problems many others did. But the one thing that bothered me the most was it randomly freezing, especially during web browsing. Only a few seconds here and there, but enough. Many times I'd get the ANR warning (Application not responding) and clicking wait would clear it up. Other browsers seemed to fare a bit better, but still had random lockups.

So I bought the Infinity, based on may reviews saying it was on par with the new Nexus 10. Overall, it didn't seem any different from the Prime. Yes, the screen was better, and the Super IPS panel is awesome. The Wifi was greatly improved. But in many ways, it felt on par. I didn't see anything on the Infinity that felt better. In some areas, I think the extra resolution made it a bit slower. And I still got a few random ANR errors.

So that's exactly what I'm looking for. A better experience. I think the Nexus 10 is going to have that, and you basically confirmed that. I think an important lesson here is to not put too much emphasis on lab benchmarks. While a useful tool for measuring performance, they don't always tell the full story on how things work in real life.

I wouldn't be me without a car analogy. Real racers don't use dyno numbers too much, but concentrate on track lap times or pass times. I've seen dyno queens with 900hp who couldn't get off the line. Sure, it dyno'd (benchmarked) higher power, but in the real world what good is that power if you can't win (better experience).
nj02vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Dagr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 175
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, HTC One, Samsung Nexus 10, ASUS Nexus 7 (Gen 1)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj02vette View Post
Thanks for the update. That's exactly what I was looking for.

To be honest, I really liked my Prime. The Wifi was weak, but acceptable in my home. GPS worked fine, never had the lock problems many others did. But the one thing that bothered me the most was it randomly freezing, especially during web browsing. Only a few seconds here and there, but enough. Many times I'd get the ANR warning (Application not responding) and clicking wait would clear it up. Other browsers seemed to fare a bit better, but still had random lockups.

So I bought the Infinity, based on may reviews saying it was on par with the new Nexus 10. Overall, it didn't seem any different from the Prime. Yes, the screen was better, and the Super IPS panel is awesome. The Wifi was greatly improved. But in many ways, it felt on par. I didn't see anything on the Infinity that felt better. In some areas, I think the extra resolution made it a bit slower. And I still got a few random ANR errors.

So that's exactly what I'm looking for. A better experience. I think the Nexus 10 is going to have that, and you basically confirmed that. I think an important lesson here is to not put too much emphasis on lab benchmarks. While a useful tool for measuring performance, they don't always tell the full story on how things work in real life.

I wouldn't be me without a car analogy. Real racers don't use dyno numbers too much, but concentrate on track lap times or pass times. I've seen dyno queens with 900hp who couldn't get off the line. Sure, it dyno'd (benchmarked) higher power, but in the real world what good is that power if you can't win (better experience).

I had a very similar experience to you as well between the Prime and Infinity. The ANR problems would definitely get annoying.

One thing I will say is that I'm not terribly impressed by the performance of Chrome as the default browser on the N10 out of the box. It's not bad... certainly no ANR type issues, but other browsers have been much more fluid / speedier (using boat atm). I think this will improve as Chrome becomes more & more optimized though.

And yes, you are spot on regarding the dyno analogy. I can say that some of the big games are definitely not optimized (but honestly I felt they weren't really optimized on the Infinity either). Gameloft's Modern Combat 3 & Nova 3 stand out here. They look great, but have some slow downs. I had the same issues on my Infinity.

I was surprised also that a few of my THD titles actually run on this as well (they must be universal despite saying THD in the title): Demoltion Inc THD comes to mind.

All in all, I've really liked this tablet in the few days I've had it. If I get more critical as I use it more I'll let you guys know!
Dagr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 96
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G Root S-Off Pri Prl Updated, Motorola Truimph Root Miui (RIP)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagr View Post

- Battery Life. I wanted to test this out since there has been a fair amount of conversation in this regard. The battery life on my N10 has been very good with a couple gotchas. Gotcha 1: I really do miss the extended life that the battery in the dock of the Infinity / Prime offered. Gotch 2: Charging is much slower than the Infinity (as some have mentioned). Those two gotcha's aside, I have found the battery life on the first few cycles to be very good with a heavy amount of Netflix'ing, gaming, and surfing.

.
From what I have seen the battery is almost 3 times the size of infinity probably explains why it is slow to charge.
I bought my infinity about 3days before the nexus 10 was released. I'm pretty happy with it, but then again I don't own a nexus so I can't compare.
jgriner is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nj02vette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,346
 
Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 624
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

So I have all three in my possession. Prime, Infinity and Nexus 10.

Is there anything that people would like see?
nj02vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooksville/Spring Hill
Posts: 278
 
Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 5, LG Motion
Carrier: Metropcs

Thanks: 43
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj02vette View Post
So I have all three in my possession. Prime, Infinity and Nexus 10.

Is there anything that people would like see?
One of the main things I am interested in is the speed of web browsing compared to each other and how would you quantify it. I am also interested in how Google Earth Differs in speed and appearance from a laptop PC.
4ubest is offline  
Last edited by 4ubest; December 4th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj02vette View Post
So I have all three in my possession. Prime, Infinity and Nexus 10.

Is there anything that people would like see?
Any freezes on your Nexus 10? How warm does it get when watching movies and browsing the web?
whosaidwhat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 424
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I have all 3 as well and I cant decide which one to keep.

Prime
Pros:
Runs well on JB. All games and apps are compatible (although may not run smooth). Having a dock is nice. Good contrast level. Very dark blacks.

Con:
Lags sometimes. I hate the screen now after using higher res screens.

tf700
Pros: Great screen. Runs well on ICS. Awful on JB. Not a lot of games are available. ie most gameloft, and most EA. Nova 3 runs smooth though. Excellent contrast level. Very dark blacks.

N10
Pros: Runs VERY VERY well. Fast and smooth and no IO issues. Screen is sharper than tf700 but you really can tell unless you look really close. Just slightly less games unavailability than the Prime but I'm sure that will change.

Con:
Screen is dull and more yellow or warm looking. Lower contrast. Blacks aren't dark at all. I'm not a fan watching movies on it as it feels like there's a clear white film over the screen (maybe I just got used to the Asus IPS panel). Everywhere else isnt so bad. No keyboard dock.

My gut tells me to wait a few month to see what Asus brings to the table and maybe have best of all 3. But I hate waiting....
aznmode is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aznmode For This Useful Post:
OUJukebox (December 5th, 2012)
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
nj02vette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,346
 
Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 624
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ubest View Post
One of the main things I am interested in is the speed of web browsing compared to each other and how would you quantify it. I am also interested in how Google Earth Differs in speed and appearance from a laptop PC.
I finally got around to playing with the Nexus 10 this weekend, but it's been interrupted for work. So honestly, only a few hours total time.

I haven't tried Google Earth yet, but I'm confident in my very limited and subjective test of web browsing. It goes to the Nexus 10, hands down.

Web browsing on the Prime and Infinity were ok at times, but then there were the ANR issues and even general wait times that ruined the experience. Not so with the Nexus, it just flies.

Overall responsiveness goes to the Nexus as well. Honestly, the Infinity was the worst of the bunch, I suspect because of the higher res screen and limited spec bump over the Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosaidwhat View Post
Any freezes on your Nexus 10? How warm does it get when watching movies and browsing the web?
Haven't felt it get warm yet, but again I don't have much time with it.
nj02vette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 10
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.