Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 10

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Thats
  • 1 Post By dberthia
  • 1 Post By mikeb33

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default New Nexus 10 wifi problems

I just bought the 32GB from Walmart. Unboxed, turned on, started set up. It sees my router and shows "good" signal strength. It finds my Gmail account, then moments later, no connection. As I try to download, setup and update things, it keeps having connection errors. I tried a restore and started over, but had the same results. My Router is an Asus RT-N66u Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories is about 60 feet away from my home office on the same floor. When at my desk, my iPad and Galaxy note phone get good, consistent connection, but the Nexus 10 has these issues. I updated router firmware and rebooted it, also moved the 3 antennas every which way.

Any idea why the Nexus 10 would do so much worse than my laptop, iPad 3 and Note 2?

sponsored links
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10

Does it have the same problem when your closer than 60 feet?
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Actually I didn't try it anywhere else. I figured it if doesn't work at my desk, I can't use it. It's in the box for return(or exchange) today.
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts

I'd exchange it. WiFi works great for me with much larger range than any other tablet I've used, including iPad3.
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): LG G2 Samsung Nexus 10
Carrier: Verizon

What kind of security setting are you using on the router? I had issues a while back with all my devices. Found that certain devices only like a certain type of security. Such as WPA and WEP. I don't remember all of the details. How does it behave if you disable security on the network?
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon GS4, Verizon Note2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Sony NSZ-GS7

batradar73@gmail.com

I am using WPA2 and have had zero problems. I would stay away from WEP at all costs and standard WPA of possible.

Retired:
4G Motorola XOOM - - - Moto Droid X (handed over to son) - - - OG Droid
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I exchanged it for another one. Still have issues though. One second it will seem ok, then I click on google news and it takes 10-20 seconds to load the page. It took 5 tries to get some apps to download, including speedtest.net, which showed me good download speeds(>10mbps), but horrific uploads speeds(<1Kbps).
I have firewall disabled in the router and am using WPA2 on both 2.4 and 5ghz. I don't too much about settings beyond that.

I am thinking of bringing home an Asus TF700T and giving that a try.
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Nexus 10

Send a message via AIM to marcus304j jordan.marcus@gmail.com

The question is more about you wifi router than your device. I have a Nexus 10 and had a similar problem, yet I had my wifi set to N-only. You might check to see if your WiFi is broadcasting in A, B, and G too.

Also, instead of turning off your Firewall (please turn it back on ASAP), try WPA instead of WPA2 or even no encryption temporarily to see if that's the hang-up.
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
I exchanged it for another one. Still have issues though. One second it will seem ok, then I click on google news and it takes 10-20 seconds to load the page. It took 5 tries to get some apps to download, including speedtest.net, which showed me good download speeds(>10mbps), but horrific uploads speeds(<1Kbps).
I have firewall disabled in the router and am using WPA2 on both 2.4 and 5ghz. I don't too much about settings beyond that.

Sorry for your troubles, and unfortunately I can't be much help with the router settings.

But I own the Asus Prime (TF201) and Infinity (TF700) as well as the Nexus 10 and iPad3. I can honestly say the Nexus is the class of them all. While the Infinity was nice overall, the web browsing was not a good experience due to the cheap memory controller Asus used.
Old December 18th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
That guy is This

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

I'd HIGHLY advise AGAINST WEP or even WPA. You really NEED to use WPA2 Enterprise. In my Security+ Certification we learned that WEP can be broken into in roughly 12-16 seconds depending upon which part of the string the connection gets intercepted.

I'd honestly try to just broadcast at either 5 Ghz or 2.5 Ghz first, and set your channel to just 1-12 (not Auto). Hope some of these help!
Caveman419 likes this.
sponsored links
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

In comparison to my iPad 1, the WiFi is lacking. The test I use is streaming Pandora while cooking. Place the iPad on the kitchen table, good solid connection, no drops. Place the 10 in the exact same location, weaker connection, intermittent drops, have to pick up tablet to reconnect. It is definitely an issue. The same with Bluetooth as well when connecting to a Creative D100 speaker. Both issues are well documented, neither were fixed for me with the 4.2.1 update.

Still, I am enjoying this tablet and definitely see the potential. Hopefully, the issues get repaired via software updates rather than having to wait for the Nexus 10 2.
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10

I caught a thread on another forum, can't find it now, where the OP claimed that the N10 connected better at 2.4 ghz. On some APs that will mean forcing wireless b/g. Might be worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Theavian For This Useful Post:
Thats (December 19th, 2012)
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
That guy is This

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theavian View Post
I caught a thread on another forum, can't find it now, where the OP claimed that the N10 connected better at 2.4 ghz. On some APs that will mean forcing wireless b/g. Might be worth a try.

Makes sense, sadly I feel that Samsung gimped out on the wifi radio. Darn.
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon GS4, Verizon Note2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Sony NSZ-GS7

batradar73@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats View Post
Makes sense, sadly I feel that Samsung gimped out on the wifi radio. Darn.
Samsung skimp on the radios on a device? Can't be, my Galaxy Nexus has uhm, well, uhhh two bars of 4G while the Moto RAZR in the cube next to mine has four bars.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx Hd Phone, Nexus 10 Tablet
Carrier: Verizon (phone only)

Send a message via AIM to tanware

While not the greatest connection, compared to my laptops, I get 130 MBS with my trend net router. Speed test shows full connection speed to the WAN.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10, Bionic

I was having constant wifi data drops until I discovered my problem: AdBlock Plus. Uninstalled it, went with AdAway, and the drops are nonexistent now.
Chrizzl3 likes this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dberthia For This Useful Post:
Atma (January 4th, 2013), chiph411 (January 4th, 2013), Chrizzl3 (January 4th, 2013)
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Did you experience the same problem with either N10 on other wifi networks -- Starbuck's, local library, etc?
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

I have zero problems with WiFi. I am using a Netgear WNDR4500 with both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ running on WPA2 Enterprise. I have A Nexus 10, iPad 2, HP Touchpad, EVO 4g LTE, PS3, Samsung TV, and Nest Thermostat all running on WiFi Perfectly. I have had issues in the past with WiFi so there are a few things I do every time I get a new router or device or need to troubleshoot:
1) Download WiFi Analyzer free from Play Store. This will let you see what is going on with your network as far as Signal Strength, Channel Strength, and all the other Networks around you that could be interfering.
2) Assign every device on your Network an IP Address. I have had issues in the past with a device occasionally hanging on to multiple IPs and gunking up the DHCP server.
3) Try your network with 20MHZ on Channel Width vs Auto or 40MHZ. 40 MHZ allows for more throughput but to my understanding can increase the likelihood of interference.
4) To troubleshoot your network turn all of your other Wifi Devices off and test it as the only device and then gradually add your other devices.
5) In the Nexus 10 Wifi Advanced Settings try selecting either 2.4 or 5 ghz as the frequency band and Uncheck WiFi optimization (this will eat up more battery).

In my experience in the IT world it is almost always a checkbox or a setting in the router or the device that is just causing one or the other to have a fit.
The Following User Says Thank You to sikclown For This Useful Post:
jludwig57 (January 5th, 2013)
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberthia View Post
I was having constant wifi data drops until I discovered my problem: AdBlock Plus. Uninstalled it, went with AdAway, and the drops are nonexistent now.
I had the same program installed and constantly had trouble with the market loading and constant network errors. Uninstalled it because i couldnt tell if it was working anyway, and haven't had a problem since. Will report back.

THANKS!
Last edited by Chrizzl3; January 4th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Htc Thunderbolt

Question

5) In the Nexus 10 Wifi Advanced Settings try selecting either 2.4 or 5 ghz as the frequency band and Uncheck WiFi optimization (this will eat up more battery)

Just wondering, for your #5, why would UN checking WiFi optimization eat battery life? Doesn't it say it's supposed save battery? I unchecked as you suggested but still confused as to why
sponsored links
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

It's me, the OP. I tried 2 Nexus 10s, a TF700T and Note 10.1. Mostly to see which one liked best. None really did any better than the other in terms wireless. It must be that my home office is a little to far from the router for a reliable connection. I ended up using an old router as an access point in my office and it works great, though if I move out to the family room, I need to disconnect from one router and connect to the other.

After all the trials, I settled on the Nexus 10. I like the screen, the speed, the feel, and the standard micro USB connector. In fact when I had the Asus or Samsung and had them plugged in, the connector sticks straight down where you might want to set it in your lap. I like the Nexus connector on the top left side.

Thanks for all the help.
Chrizzl3 likes this.
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung S II Skyrocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I have zero problems with WiFi. I am using a Netgear WNDR4500 with both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ running on WPA2 Enterprise. I have A Nexus 10, iPad 2, HP Touchpad, EVO 4g LTE, PS3, Samsung TV, and Nest Thermostat all running on WiFi Perfectly. I have had issues in the past with WiFi so there are a few things I do every time I get a new router or device or need to troubleshoot:
1) Download WiFi Analyzer free from Play Store. This will let you see what is going on with your network as far as Signal Strength, Channel Strength, and all the other Networks around you that could be interfering.
2) Assign every device on your Network an IP Address. I have had issues in the past with a device occasionally hanging on to multiple IPs and gunking up the DHCP server.
3) Try your network with 20MHZ on Channel Width vs Auto or 40MHZ. 40 MHZ allows for more throughput but to my understanding can increase the likelihood of interference.
4) To troubleshoot your network turn all of your other Wifi Devices off and test it as the only device and then gradually add your other devices.
5) In the Nexus 10 Wifi Advanced Settings try selecting either 2.4 or 5 ghz as the frequency band and Uncheck WiFi optimization (this will eat up more battery).

In my experience in the IT world it is almost always a checkbox or a setting in the router or the device that is just causing one or the other to have a fit.
I did #5. I switched from auto to 5 ghz and it connected instantly. I was worried that my Nexus 10 wouldn't connect.
Old January 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jludwig57 View Post
I did #5. I switched from auto to 5 ghz and it connected instantly. I was worried that my Nexus 10 wouldn't connect.
5ghz has less range and less ability to penetrate walls than 2.4ghz so I don't see this for my solution or anybody on the edge of their wifi range.
Glad it worked for you though.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeb33 For This Useful Post:
Wayne Margot (January 15th, 2013)
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung S II Skyrocket

Quote:
5ghz has less range and less ability to penetrate walls than 2.4ghz so I don't see this for my solution or anybody on the edge of their wifi range.
Glad it worked for you though.
The area where I am is relative small. Split levels and probably no more than 25 feet from my router. I thought I would throw it out there.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx Hd Phone, Nexus 10 Tablet
Carrier: Verizon (phone only)

Send a message via AIM to tanware

I have a 4,380 SQF 2 story home. It is 70'x32' per floor. My router is on the first floor from the right rear corner located at 40'x10'. everywhere in the house I get full bars wifi even in the basement. Outside on the deck I saw only one bar lost the one time I tried it, kind of cold out there right now in NJ...................

Edit; my back yard is 125' wide by 175' deep. Off the deck, about 50', I loose about 1 bar. at the back fence, 175' from the house, I go to only 2 bars but speed test on the wan still shows apr. 18 mbs on my cable connection. This is about the same as I get inside the house. I haven't tried my laptop yet..........
Last edited by tanware; January 8th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 10