Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 10

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Nexus 10 and mini hdmi out - suitable for training / presentations with a projector?

About to purchase a Nexus 10 for work - specifically to train real estate agents on how to use an android tablet and a couple of the apps on the device, preferably to a projector. I know the Nexus 10 has a mini hdmi port, and can connect to a television for movies etc, but does it work well with an hdmi to VGA converter? Additionally, does it also share the screen or is the additional screen functionality only let you watch videos etc and not screen share (without root)? Thank you so much!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10, Moto Xoom, SGS3

It does share the screen completely. I am not sure about how it works with a projector but I wanted to give some advice in the event you find it does work well with a projector. I personally use it quite a bit hooked up to a big screen TV and found that it works even better if you connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to it. This way, you can completely control it without having to actually touch it. Since it has to be connected to the projector, it makes it really nice to have the keyboard and mouse on a podium where you want to be standing.

Here are a couple ideas for a mouse and a keyboard. I would do some research though.

Bluetooth mouse

Bluetooth keyboard
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10 32GB HTC One (Unlocked AT&T version, running on T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

lars.callahan@gmail.com

HDMI out works great to my TV. No projector experiences but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the adapter you mentioned; the signal shouldn't change using the adapter.

As far as keyboards/mice I use a Motorola keyboard with a trackstick/mouse control built in and it works great (KZ450) However, my micro-HDMI cable is 15 feet, so I rarely use it from a distance. LOL. I think it would work just fine if needed to , though.
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon Galaxy Nexus Nexus 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmk View Post
About to purchase a Nexus 10 for work - specifically to train real estate agents on how to use an android tablet and a couple of the apps on the device, preferably to a projector. I know the Nexus 10 has a mini hdmi port, and can connect to a television for movies etc, but does it work well with an hdmi to VGA converter? Additionally, does it also share the screen or is the additional screen functionality only let you watch videos etc and not screen share (without root)? Thank you so much!
I am also looking to hook the nexus 10 up to a vga projector to use teaching instead of taking my laptop to campus with me. I've been looking into it and the nexus 10 has a micro hdmi port (not mini), so you need to make sure you buy a converter cord that specifies micro. The converter cable from the amazon link below seems to work for a nexus 10 (at least a couple reviews indicate that it works). I haven't ordered it yet, but plan to soon.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters Gold Plated Premium Micro HDMI to VGA M/F Active Adapter: Electronics
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 Motorola Photon
Carrier: Sprint

Well In my experience, if it has a port, you can adapt it into any form you desire and the device your adapting it from no longer matters. Because after you plug in the HDMI, youre just playing with that cable. The N 10 isn't involved any longer.

And I just got mine a few days ago, and when I saw this I wasn't able to get mine to work (but I think mines actually broken). But I can confirm that on my Motorola photon, a cell, that when plugged into an hd tv it will fill up the whole screen. unless you force it to view an app that is portrait only. then it will become thin and vertical with two black bars on the side. But if you think about ti, that's what you want it to do. And I can think of absolutely no reason why a tablet would change those rules.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 10