New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By William T Riker
  • 1 Post By nj02vette
  • 2 Post By jhawkkw
  • 1 Post By sikclown

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mo

Default Which Tablet?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get into the tablet game.

I am not really sure what to get honestly. I love Nexus devices so I'm leaning toward the Nexus 10. I definitely want a 10 inch device and as close to stock as possible. I want a device that can play games well and can take notes for classes as well. Is the Nexus 10 my device? Is it the best tablet available? Better than the Transformer Infinity? Do I have any other options? And how good is the screen actually?

Thanks!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): N10, ME370T, XT875, i515, i535, SM-N900V
Carrier: Verizon

The TF700 (and all Asus tablets like the 201 Prime, 300 etc for that matter) are year-old designs and have significant component issues that cause them to perform poorly for productivity and power users. Unless you are prepared to void your warranty by unlocking it and doing some major s/w surgery they are poor performers whenever multitasking that involves file IO takes place. If you are a basic consumption user and don't have a lot of syncs, downloads, and multiple apps going at the same time it could be an effective choice. About the only thing going for it is the optional attachable keyboard/battery dock. But at similar prices to an Nexus 10, Note 10.1, and even iPad, it's far from a great value.

Nexus 10 is using a newer CPU, GPU, and OS and has been on the market for a short time. Since it’s a Nexus device, it will recieve updates faster than other devices. Having previously owned a TF201 and 700, my personal opinion the N10 is far superior.
siggy1964 likes this.
Last edited by William T Riker; February 8th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC EVO 3D, Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

After having to return 4 Infinity's I decided to go with the Nexus and am pleased so far. I opted for this over the Note because of recommendations from people on here.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,058 Times in 3,790 Posts

I love my infinity, but if I was in the market for a tablet today, I would get the Nexus 10, or wait until the Asus Transformer AIO gets released. The AIO is a little too big for some people, but it has the ability to run both android and windows 8.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid RAZR, Samsung Nexus 10
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Send a message via AIM to Ekim Gram

The Nexus 10 is my first tablet that I've ever owned and I love it. I thought it would be fun to root it but I personally have no need right now, stock is perfectly fine for me. The screen is great - very clean and sharp. It's not too heavy, battery life is fine, very good performance, it's all there and it's all great. Poetic has a decent case that comes with a detachable 4/5 sized Bluetooth keyboard that would be great for note taking in class.
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon LG G2, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Transformer Infinity, Transformer Prime, Too many things
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William T Riker View Post
The TF700 (and all Asus tablets like the 201 Prime, 300 etc for that matter) are year-old designs and have significant component issues that cause them to perform poorly for productivity and power users. Unless you are prepared to void your warranty by unlocking it and doing some major s/w surgery they are poor performers whenever multitasking that involves file IO takes place. If you are a basic consumption user and don't have a lot of syncs, downloads, and multiple apps going at the same time it could be an effective choice. About the only thing going for it is the optional attachable keyboard/battery dock. But at similar prices to an Nexus 10, Note 10.1, and even iPad, it's far from a great value.

Nexus 10 is using a newer CPU, GPU, and OS and has been on the market for a short time. Since it’s a Nexus device, it will recieve updates faster than other devices. Having previously owned a TF201 and 700, my personal opinion the N10 is far superior.
Agree with everything stated here 100000%. I have Asus Transformer, Infinity, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 and even an iPad. There is no contest.

And take down that Vick jersey avatar.
sikclown likes this.
Old February 13th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint), Verizon Galaxy Nexus

This is a good thread to ask my question. It is related.

I'm also going to buy a tablet tomorrow for Valentine's day for my girlfriend. But I am debating into Nexus 10 or the new IPAD with retina display.

Now, we both own Android phones and this is going to be the first tablet we have.

I was wondering if someone can tell me about the apps itself on the nexus 10.

I've read in reviews that since Nexus is a new tablet, not all apps are optimized to be compatible/work with the tablet.

Are they constantly giving new updates on these apps? Or they haven't?

One of the reasons I am considering the IPAD is because of the vast majority of apps that are already optimized and ready for the tablet itself, but of couse I'm holding with that decision because it costs $100 more and also I've always disliked Apple for not having FLASH in their systems and other things.

But my main concern is the amount of apps Nexus 10 offers that are ready for the tablet.

Anyone?
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,058 Times in 3,790 Posts
Default Re: Which Tablet?

Due to adobe abandoning flash support for all mobile platforms, it takes a little bit of work to get flash to on android now, but it still does. The Nexus 10 actually has a better resolution than the newest iPad, so that retina display has been outclassed. As far as apps go, I never understood the fascination with "tablet specific apps" I am much happier that 1 copy of an app will work on multiple android device sizes instead of needing 3 different ones based on the size of my device because the developers can't do anything other than hard code to the size of the device. Many android apps now check the build.prop of your device and auto-resize themselves to be optimal with your device. Much more efficient in my mind. App compatibility gets better every day as developers are beginning to realize that now since android controls the global market share of mobile devices, that neglecting them is a lot of potential money lost. Many of the big mobile game companies are having their game releases be identical on both platforms, though iOS still gets some preferential treatment with smaller developers. Overall, the Nexus 10 is an amazing device and would be the 10" tab I recommend to anyone in the market for one. iPad is great as well, but still falls short in my humble opinion.
sikclown and siggy1964 like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
DrexelDragon (March 4th, 2013), VGPOP (February 13th, 2013)
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

N10 has slight throttling and overheating issues when it comes to heavy gaming. But despite that it's hands down the best tablet out there. Or as jhawkkw suggested, wait for AIO.
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One M8, HTC One, Nexus 5, Nexus 10, Nexus 7.2, HP Touchpad, iPad Air
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

I have a Nexus 10, Asus Infinity, and an iPad2. Since I have gotten the Nexus 10 my other devices collect dust.
siggy1964 likes this.
sponsored links

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 10