Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrlswltrs

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): iPhone 5
Carrier: Verizon

Default So is Waiting out "within 3 weeks" worth it?

So I, like many of us, have received the dreaded "back ordered" email. I had been planning my leave from verizon since the announcement. Buy the Nexus 4 with my saved up money, sell my Galaxy S3 to pay the Verizon ETF, and switch to straight talk. But that plan is foiled now and its hard enough being robbed from verizon each month at this point.

I have been tossing around the idea of trading my S3 for a unlocked Gnexus and canceling my order to pay the ETF. OR just wait it out and possibly be thanking myself for the extra time and patience.

Many of you have already gotten it, everyone else by monday or tuesday. So im asking, what do you think? Will it be worth dealing with the nail biting eagerness of waiting for a random shipping email within the next 3 weeks? And also what would you do if you were in my position?

sponsored links
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): LG E980
Carrier: AT&T

Hang in there, pal. The wait will be worth it and VZW's ETF will drop as you roll over to the next billing cycle

Not a lot of consolation as I already received mine, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't be settling for something else.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I'm really enjoying mine and I think any Android enthusiast will too. Definitely will be worth the wait.
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Well worth the wait and i have not even ordered mine yet!!!
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarnes91 View Post
Well worth the wait and i have not even ordered mine yet!!!
thats the sort of thinking, i'm trying to avoid from now on
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
On Probation

Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s

If u guys hang in there until Monday, I will be getting mine! Just for some that don't know, I've been on here a long while and pull no punches...I will give this thing a real run down and test everything from A-Z! This phone will go through every real world test you can think off ranging from call quality to data speed in real world use.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sean76 For This Useful Post:
acp (November 17th, 2012), kalaster (November 17th, 2012), Trooper (November 17th, 2012)
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
If u guys hang in there until Monday, I will be getting mine! Just for some that don't know, I've been on here a long while and pull no punches...I will give this thing a real run down and test everything from A-Z! This phone will go through every real world test you can think off ranging from call quality to data speed in real world use.
Thanks man, we appreciate it, I look forward to seeing what you have to say, especially reading how frustrated you are about this whole launch.
Old November 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,163 Posts

Absolutely it is worth it. I've had the Nexus 4 for 4 days now and it is amazing.

I just bought a Galaxy S3 for my daughter yesterday for her birthday. I did a little bit of initial setup for her, and side by side the software is horrible compared the my Nexus. Plus the slow updates... No thanks! The only reason she got the S3 was because she needs lots of storage for music, movies, and mostly games.

If you really are having doubts go to a T-Mobile store and use a display Nexus then a GS3.

Also, have you checked out my review here: My impressions of the Nexus 4, ask anything
Trooper likes this.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775
Last edited by chrlswltrs; November 17th, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Yea, I'm currently rocking the S3 right now, great phone, even more great on cm10! But after 3 months, not the phone I was hoping for, was expecting it to be the end all be all phone for me. Sadly that's not the case.

I would go too a T-Mobile store, but there isn't one for miles where I live.
Old November 17th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
On Probation

Pretty good as per this review, for the exception of camera and speaker!

Nexus 4 Review - YouTube
Last edited by lunatic59; November 17th, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: fixed link
The Following User Says Thank You to sean76 For This Useful Post:
Trooper (November 17th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Pretty good as per this review, for the exception of camera and speaker!

Nexus 4 Review - YouTube
I don't care how good of quality it is, a speaker that small isn't going to sound good turned up anyway. If you want sound quality you need earphones or better yet headphones. The camera also isn't the best smartphone camera in the world, but it's far from the worst. 8MP and 1080p video recording is an upgrade for me, i'll take it xD

I think the 1.5GHz quad core and 2GB RAM make up for those minor shortcomings . Not to mention android 4.2 and guaranteed updates for the next 2 years.
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banished Angel View Post
I don't care how good of quality it is, a speaker that small isn't going to sound good turned up anyway. If you want sound quality you need earphones or better yet headphones. The camera also isn't the best smartphone camera in the world, but it's far from the worst. 8MP and 1080p video recording is an upgrade for me, i'll take it xD

I think the 1.5GHz quad core and 2GB RAM make up for those minor shortcomings . Not to mention android 4.2 and guaranteed updates for the next 2 years.
I do use my camera a lot on both my GS3 and my iphone 5, and I like being able to grab good shots. However sometime it's the person taking the pics vs the camera that they are using. I will have to try it myself to really make a final decision.
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I do use my camera a lot on both my GS3 and my iphone 5, and I like being able to grab good shots. However sometime it's the person taking the pics vs the camera that they are using. I will have to try it myself to really make a final decision.
There are reviews out there with test shots and I think they look good. Outdoor, anyway. Didn't see the indoor tests.
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
There are reviews out there with test shots and I think they look good. Outdoor, anyway. Didn't see the indoor tests.
Because the indoors are probably terrible... Lol
Old November 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): (In Transit) Samsung Galaxy Nexus, (Sold) LG Motion, (Sold) LG Esteem, (Sold) LG Dare.
Carrier: Tmobile Prepaid.

They looked like normal pictures to me. It is a phone not a professional camera.

Old November 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticSins View Post
They looked like normal pictures to me. It is a phone not a professional camera.

I understand its not a professional camera, however...I use a GS3 and an iphone 5, arguably the 2 best phones on the market right now with also pretty much the best cameras as well. So to me a good camera is something I'd like on board.

I will leave my final judgement to when I am actually using the phone and not going off reviews.
Last edited by lunatic59; November 18th, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I understand its not a professional camera, however...I use a GS3 and an iphone 5, arguably the 2 best phones on the market right now with also pretty much the best cameras as well. So to me a good camera is something I'd like on board.

I will leave my final judgement to when I am actually using the phone and not going off reviews.
I think it has been established that the Lumia 920 has the best camera, especially for low-light situations.
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalaster View Post
Yea, I'm currently rocking the S3 right now, great phone, even more great on cm10! But after 3 months, not the phone I was hoping for, was expecting it to be the end all be all phone for me. Sadly that's not the case.

I would go too a T-Mobile store, but there isn't one for miles where I live.
As someone who had recently switched to Straight Talk after me Tmo contract was up, here's my take.

The freedom to switch whatever carrier you want, anytime, is such a breath of fresh air. I had previously been paying almost $100 a month after taxes and fees on an $80 plan that included 1500 talk minutes (rarely used 150 min / month the last few years), unlimited text and 4G data (throttled at 5GB0).

Straight Talk gave me unlimited everything (4G throttled at 5GB more or less) for $45 / month, more than halving my bill. Since I was still using a Tmo phone (Sensation 4G) I was on a Straight Talk Tmo SIM (they have Tmo and ATT flavors). Everything worked fine except for Google Voice (refer to this thread regarding GV on Straight Talk).

Now T-Mobile is offering a $30 monthly plan with 150 talk minutes and unlimited text / data (5GB throttle), which is amazing, seeing as I hardly use voice minutes. Being contract free allows me to take advantage of the best plans, and I plan on switching back to T-Mobile; hopefully I'll be able to use Google Voice as it's intended to be used again.

I'm just waiting for the damn Nexus 4 to be in stock.
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyer View Post
Now T-Mobile is offering a $30 monthly plan with 150 talk minutes and unlimited text / data (5GB throttle), which is amazing, seeing as I hardly use voice minutes. Being contract free allows me to take advantage of the best plans, and I plan on switching back to T-Mobile; hopefully I'll be able to use Google Voice as it's intended to be used again.

I'm just waiting for the damn Nexus 4 to be in stock.
My plan was to switch to T-mobile, there is a VERY strong prescence of of just about all the carriers in Ithaca, and get the $30 plan, but however, since moving out and far from all my friends and family, they all want to call me now, every single day. so hopefully they miss me a little less next month so i can switch to t-mobile.

and from what i hear, google voice does not work on T-mobile =/
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalaster View Post
My plan was to switch to T-mobile, there is a VERY strong prescence of of just about all the carriers in Ithaca, and get the $30 plan, but however, since moving out and far from all my friends and family, they all want to call me now, every single day. so hopefully they miss me a little less next month so i can switch to t-mobile.

and from what i hear, google voice does not work on T-mobile =/
Google Voice is working just fine for me, always has
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

You guys may have misunderstood me. Let me try and clarify.

T-Mobile prepaid service, such as what you can buy at Walmart or 7-Eleven, doesn't support conditional call forwarding, which GV requires to forward calls from your cell number to the GV voicemail box.

If you get a T-Mobile compatible SIM card from straight talk, that falls under TMO prepaid. Conditional call forwarding will not work. In order to use GV on Straight Talk, you have to port your GV number when you activate your TMO Straight Talk SIM, then deactivate carrier voicemail. Otherwise, you have to give out your GV number so people can leave and text your GV directly.

Prepaid monthly plans directly from T-Mobile, like the 4G Monthly plans, may be a different thing.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4